Has Covid affected your excursion thinking?

PC 462

48 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

We have to wear masks at all times unless we are in our beach chairs or in the water. If someone from the cruise ship needs to use the bathroom, the bathroom is closed to other guests, we are allowed to use it and then it is cleaned. 

Oh my. Is there a crew member whose job it is to clean the bathroom after each cruise passenger uses it? Yuck, what a %hitty job!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

First, I realize there's a chance the Carnival-sponsored excursions MAY BE the only ones available, and that by delaying my pre-cruise purchase there's a chance I'll get "excursioned out".  But for the first couple cruises back, I'd be perfectly happy just staying on the ship for seven straight days... admiring ship features I took for granted pre-covid.  So, no.  Second, we like snorkeling too - we're all vaccinated non-smokers with no known underlying health problems.  So, no.

I'd be happy to stay on the ship, too, but my wife likes getting off. The two sea days out of Baltimore are some of the best times! 

I've loved ships and the sea since childhood when my father would regale us with tales from his time in the South Pacific during WW II.  My profile photo is his ship being launched.

We are booked on what might be the first Pride cruise out of Baltimore (as well as the last!).  I'm not too worried about being frozen out on excursions in September.  No excursion needed on Half Moon Cay and could just go to the beach in Grand Turk (though the snorkeling is good there).  I did book an excursion to Tayrona National Park in Santa Marta for the 14 day Panama Canal cruise in October because that may be a "don't miss this opportunity."

• Like 1

I purchased my Shore Excursions for my Panorama Cruise at the end of Feb.

So Far I booked Rhythms Of The Night in Puerto Vallarta, Luxury Sailboat in Cabos and Villages and Lunch in Mazatlan as well as Cuchina Del Capitano on my First night.

My theory is why not book now when it's available . You can always cancel later on.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 6:17 PM, BroadwayGirl said:

Yes,  we plan on snorkeling next cruise and we’ve bought our own equipment on Amazon.  

we actually chose a cruise with half moon cay and grand Turk specifically bc there was no need to do excursions and we’d be on an open beach. 

You may not be going to GT.  The August Mardi Gras sailimgs that were going to go to GT are now going to.....Nassau.   Gives you more time to explore the ship (especially the new Serenity area)

On 6/9/2021 at 8:18 PM, Saint Greg said:
On 6/9/2021 at 8:18 PM, Saint Greg said:

I bought my own full face snorkel for like $20 on Amazon. No way I’d use a public mask Or snorkel. 

Best decision I made for my last cruise was to buy a full face mask in advance so that I could try it in a swimming pool.  Took no time all to get used to air access being shut off when the “stem” part goes below water.  You get a much better peripheral view and avoid the discomfort of having the tube stuck in your mouth.

Of course I may never go to a public swimming pool again as the bottom was clearly disgusting!  Make sure to get one where the “stem” folds flat against the mask for easy packing.

Edited by TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

You may not be going to GT.  The August Mardi Gras sailimgs that were going to go to GT are now going to.....Nassau.   Gives you more time to explore the ship (especially the new Serenity area)

Luckily it’s not til later in October on the Pride.  I saw an article from GT quoting their head of government saying he expected ships to be calling by October at the latest, so crossing my fingers.  We’ve never been there or HMC but we will roll with the itinerary changes. Heck this cruise is free and was paid for by the Sunrise hurricane cruise to no where FCC. 

Edited by BroadwayGirl

On of the more interesting questions asked.   Personally, I doubt that I will get off the ship in Costa Maya or Cozumel, I have been there enough and I actually enjoy just being on the ship, even if it's in my cabin.  If the Dream actually goes in September, I will have to think about Belize, I can't dive, but I would like to snorkel there, and if I decide to, I would get my own gear.  To me, ,I don't think anything bad would happen, but if it did it would suck so bad, I just don't want to even take the chance.

Edited by MrMarc
to edit
  • Like 1

If we are limited to cruise-sponsored excursions, we would probably get off only once for the week.  If not, maybe we would do one excursion and two low-key days on land, exiting port and doing our own thing / walking around / lunch /etc via taxis, which might cost our family around $50-100 for 2 adults and 2 teens, instead of more than $300 for the day for an excursion.

• Like 1

No available excursions for our September Alaskan cruise on Miracle.  Reading the Covid protocol on CCL for Alaska it almost sounds like you won't be allowed off the ship in port unless you are going on a Ship excursion.  I sure hope I'm not reading more into it.  Oh well, we've already cruised to these ports on several previous cruises.  Was just hoping to walk around the port in each of them to enjoy the beautiful scenery.  I feel bad for all of the local shops and restaurants that really depend on the cruise industry to provide them enough money to live on during the rest of the year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PlanoDebbie said:

No available excursions for our September Alaskan cruise on Miracle.  Reading the Covid protocol on CCL for Alaska it almost sounds like you won't be allowed off the ship in port unless you are going on a Ship excursion.  I sure hope I'm not reading more into it.  Oh well, we've already cruised to these ports on several previous cruises.  Was just hoping to walk around the port in each of them to enjoy the beautiful scenery.  I feel bad for all of the local shops and restaurants that really depend on the cruise industry to provide them enough money to live on during the rest of the year.

The temporary law was passed supposedly to help the economy of Alaska. But, as you pointed out it will not do anything to help the locals if the cruise lines do not allow passengers to get off the ship except on the cruise lines' own excursions. 

• Like 1

Just curious why people are bothered by using a sanitized and disinfected snorkel but have no issues using a fork in a restaurant that has been in the mouths of thousands of people?

If you have professional to semi professional equipment that is better than the ones provided, and prefer to use that, I get it. But if it's just the "ickiness" of it, there are other things you put in your mouth that have been in others peoples mouths. At the end of the day, you are operating under the assumption (and possibly hope!) that these things are properly cleaned and sanitized.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

Has Covid affected your excursion thinking? 
No. Not yet. Our next cruise isn't until late November. That's 5 months from now. It's a little difficult to predict exactly what protocols will be in place at that time, for both Carnival and each port we'll be visiting. We'll probably wait until late Sept. or early Oct. to book our excursions. 

It certainly has effected our thinking. We are losing 2 of our original port stops, to be replaced by 2 more. One ok, the other.....meh.  PLUS, looking at the excursions on Carnival website, there are only 3 listed on one destination, and 2 on the other. PLUS not knowing if we will be required to take Carnival approved excursions....or will be able to walk around on our own. 

[note: if those concerns have been addressed in this thread, my bad. I didn't see it.']

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Just curious why people are bothered by using a sanitized and disinfected snorkel but have no issues using a fork in a restaurant that has been in the mouths of thousands of people?

If you have professional to semi professional equipment that is better than the ones provided, and prefer to use that, I get it. But if it's just the "ickiness" of it, there are other things you put in your mouth that have been in others peoples mouths. At the end of the day, you are operating under the assumption (and possibly hope!) that these things are properly cleaned and sanitized.

For me, it is because utensils are sanitized in a dishwasher with cleaning solution and hot water.  I just don't know how well the snorkels are hand sanitized.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 4:27 PM, TNcruising02 said:

I haven't booked any excursions for my August cruise yet.  I don't know if it will sail, so that's one reason.  The other is that I don't know what restrictions there will be.

I am concerned about the mask requirements for excursions.  I will probably end up waiting at least another month.  I am not concerned at all about getting covid.  We are vaccinated and feel good about our protection.  I am just concerned about the rules that will be in place.

As far as snorkeling, I have never felt comfortable using snorkeling gear that many other people have used.  I am sure it's disinfected properly.  It's just me and I am funny about certain things.

Nope...I always used to bring wipes for the mouthpiece way before Covid. I have no idea what that stuff is they soak in, lol.  

• Like 1

I have three upcoming cruises, but only one excursion booked and that's on the Mardi Gras in October ... I feel pretty confident about it (Elite Catamaran Snorkel Tour), as I've done it before and it's already a small group. We'll likely bring our own snorkel mouthpieces but other than that? I'm good. 

For my cruise on the Celebrity Edge next month and the Celebrity Millennium in August, I'm going to wait until last minute before I book anything. Millennium is not a big deal because it's Alaska and I should have no problem using the smaller vendors I love in Alaska. Edge? It's basically the same itinerary as Mardi Gras so I may just beach it and save the excursion fun for Mardi Gras with my girlfriends (cruising Celebrity with my husband).

• Like 1

For our October Mardi Gras cruise, we did book one excursion (Discover Roatan-Monkeys, sloths and macaws), as we really wanted to do this. As for Cozumel and Costa Maya, we will wait and see what happens. If non-Carnival excursions are allowed, good chance we will book Nachi Cocum, as we had a blast there the last time we visited. Never been to Costa Maya, so that one is up in the air.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 10:56 PM, PlanoDebbie said:

John Heald specifically said on June 10 the following re: Alaska:

ALASKA 2021
Yesterday we sent all the guests booked to cruise in Alaska on Carnival Miracle their protocols for these incomparable cruises to the last frontier. These included:

The cruise will operate with fully vaccinated guests, who will be required to present proof of vaccination at time of check-in. Vaccines must be approved by either the CDC or WHO.

Vaccinated guests will not be required to wear a facemask or maintain physical distancing while on board. Masks will be required in the cruise terminal and guests will have to follow all necessary local guidance at the destinations we visit.

Vaccinated guests may participate in Carnival tours or independent activities. We are in the process of finalizing our Alaska tours and more availability to be added by the end of the month.

Lots of you have asked me about excursions and so I wanted to add to this by saying that my colleagues in the excursion department are working hard to add more adventures to see glaciers, whales, stunning scenes, epic wildlife experiences and more. I will let you know as and when we do add any more so please stay tuned for that.

There will be a know before you go letter sent to everyone sailing on Carnival Miracle before the seasons starts.

I also heard from a vendor (Allen Marine) that they will be adding to the Alaska excursions shortly as soon as they get their protocols together.  I think there's a lot more coming for Alaska.  

Haven't been thinking about excursions because it's been pointless to plan something that had no definitive path forward.

I probably won't cruise if I'm mandated to choose a ship-sponsored excursion. I know I won't be alone on that.

My cruise mates and I have talked numerous times about excursions, protocols, rules, etc. Although we are not among the thousands or more of fellow cruisers that have had numerous cruises cancelled, we have decided as a group that we just want to cruise. All but my great granddaughter have been vaccinated. If we only get to do the one excursion we have already booked, so be it, we will be on a beautiful ship, enjoying each and every day! 

• Like 1

We are book on Carnival Sensation for early December 2021 to go to Cozumel, Mexico.  I booked independent cooking class and paid a small, refundable (I think) deposit of $32 for 2 ppl. We are to pay the balance once we meet up with our guide.  The ship's excursions we're interested in all start at 8:30 am.  Too early for us when on vaca.  So I found an 11 am start time cooking class.  We have been to Coz several times pre-covid with Carnival.  

I'm wondering about the mask thing too.  We are to take a local taxi to the local market to meet up with our guide. So, Im wondering about the mask thing then too.  We are both vaxed.  

How does one find out?? Don't want to be denied re-entry to MOB on our return.  We would be content to stay on the ship or get off and just walk around inside the port area. 

Any response would be appreciated.