Exciting news for Canadian Travellers

Hi everyone,  I'm so excited to hear about the news that Canadian Govt will be changing requirements for those of us Fully Vaccinated.  

This really is BREAKING NEWS so may not include all of the new details.  

For me, and many others I'm sure, the road to follow is waving us on.  

More to follow soon 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Hi everyone,  I'm so excited to hear about the news that Canadian Govt will be changing requirements for those of us Fully Vaccinated.  

More to follow soon 

Link??

We do need to still have a negative test previous to passing covid 19 forward to home.  Also, we must be completely vaccinated, and completed the 14 days after the vaccine; there may be other requirements... this is Breaking news so there may be other requirements...

Please understand, I am just so excited to have gotten to this point... more info to come.  Need to figure out which cruise to book first, LOL. 

Link:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/nation-world/story/2021-06-09/fully-vaccinated-canadians-can-avoid-border-quarantine-soon

Edited by All-ready2cruise
  • Like 1

"Fully vaccinated Canadian citizens and permanent residents will soon be exempt from having to quarantine in authorized hotels on return to Canada, the government announced on Wednesday, as millions of doses of the Moderna vaccine were expected to start arriving.

Starting early next month, the travellers who have received shots at least 14 days before coming will still have to take a COVID-19 test on arrival, and have to stay in isolation until the test comes back negative."

Ottawa to lift 14-day quarantine requirement for fully vaccinated Canadian travellers | National Post

It sounds like you still have a long ways to go.

Fully vaccinated Canadians returning to Canada will no longer need to quarantine for 14-days, including the first 3 days at a quarantine hotel if flying in.  Applies to Canadian approved vaccines, Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, or J&J.  Still need to stay home while waiting for a negative PCR result.

link.

Edited by Middleager

32 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

What about fully vaccinated Americans wanting to travel to Canada?

TBH mrlevin, I  wish I could tell you to come on down, I mean UP, however, being that this is a surprisingly new travel advisory, I'd suggest that, as a US citizen, you just wait a bit longer and there will be new clarification policies available soon.  My hope is that our borders will be opening soon with fewer restrictions by the end of July, if not sooner.  As related to Canadian Ports opening, since it's a completely Federal policy, it could take longer to process... my hope is that the Fed acknowledges the wishes of the provincial governments... that's not a something we can rely/depend on. 

I have family and friends in the US who have been itching to come and visit but... I continue to advise  them to wait.   I'm hoping we'll be able to have a wonderful reunion this summer.  Fingers crossed. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gen X Life said:

I thought Canada extended their  border closure until June 21, 21.. ??  

But Canadians have been flying over the border for weeks...  even though it is supposed to be essential only travel. 

Land border closed except for essential travel.  Flights have been ongoing since beginning of pandemic.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gen X Life said:

I thought Canada extended their  border closure until June 21, 21.. ??  

But Canadians have been flying over the border for weeks...  even though it is supposed to be essential only travel. 

You have be misinformed; not unusual. 

Our borders have been closed for many months.  Land borders continue to be closed to non-essential travel until the date you suggest, (it gets changed every time it gets close) however, flights into Canada have other policies required for any non residential passengers. 

Coming into Canada, you must possess a reservation for a minimum of 3 days, (until you receive a negative Covid 19 test) at an organized stay of an additional 11 days at a residence or other hotel in the area of your choice as your required quarantine, this must be booked before entry into Canada. The gov't was suggesting a fine  of $5000 for anyone who skipped the quarantine; not sure if that will be made into law. 

Edited by All-ready2cruise

3 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

We do need to still have a negative test previous to passing covid 19 forward to home.  Also, we must be completely vaccinated, and completed the 14 days after the vaccine; there may be other requirements... this is Breaking news so there may be other requirements...

Please understand, I am just so excited to have gotten to this point... more info to come.  Need to figure out which cruise to book first, LOL. 

Link:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/nation-world/story/2021-06-09/fully-vaccinated-canadians-can-avoid-border-quarantine-soon

Come join us on the Halloween Epic cruise from Barcelona to Athens.  A group of us which were on the cancelled Escape TA from Rome are now doing this option. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

More to follow soon 

I won't get too excited until I see it posted on the government web site. Currently fully vaccinated are not exempt from the mandatory quarantine and testing, https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

It's been on the news here in BC since yesterday that fully vaccinated Canadian residents returning from overseas do not have to quarantine.  They only require a negative COVID test.

The government of Canada web page on the subject does not agree. I suspect it is more reliable than the media. One can only hope it will change soon.

From the travel.gc.ca web site, https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/isolation#exemptions

Who is exempt from quarantine

You may be exempt from the mandatory quarantine requirements under certain conditions, including if you:

• provide essential services
  • maintain the flow of essential goods or people
  • are receiving medical care within 36 hours of entering Canada (non-related to COVID-19)
  • regularly cross the border to work (pattern of travel which is generally defined as daily or weekly)
  • are a student who regularly crosses the border to attend school (one or more days a week)
  • live in an integrated trans-border community

There are no exceptions for vaccinated travellers, at this time.

Edited by broberts

The announcement made by Betty Hajdu did not specify exactly when this new regime will begin, but said some time in July, and it is dependent on vaccination rates, infection rates and other factors. 

It also doesn’t totally avoid isolation; despite being fully vaccinated you will need a PCR test within 72 hours of arrival (I think that is what it said, not departure from wherever). Then you take another test on arrival and self isolate until you get a negative result when you can do what you want. There will be no hotel quarantine, nor a 14 day isolation period. 

1 hour ago, broberts said:

What I don't understand is why fully vaccinated people can't enter with no restrictions.

There's evidence that even vaccinated people can be Covid carriers -- vaccination provides immunity to most but not all vaccine recipients.   That, coupled with the evidence that some vaccines are more effective than others, would make the Canadian government still want to do Covid tests on Canadians returning to Canada from abroad, and on non-Canadians entering Canada. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, broberts said:

What I don't understand is why fully vaccinated people can't enter with no restrictions.

In addition to the messaging from WHO regarding the effectiveness of vaccinations, I suggest for this site, the current situation on the Celebrity cruise if highly relevant.

The first Celebrity Cruise was 100% vaccinations and a negative test about 3-days before embarkation. When testing pax at the end of the cruise, to meet the requirements for pax return to the USA, 2 pax in the same cabin returned positive tests. They both allegedly showed no symptoms.

Vaccinations reduce the severity, but are no guarantee of not catching and possibly spreading the disease. 

On 6/9/2021 at 8:01 PM, All-ready2cruise said:

You have be misinformed; not unusual. 

Our borders have been closed for many months.  Land borders continue to be closed to non-essential travel until the date you suggest, (it gets changed every time it gets close) however, flights into Canada have other policies required for any non residential passengers. 

Coming into Canada, you must possess a reservation for a minimum of 3 days, (until you receive a negative Covid 19 test) at an organized stay of an additional 11 days at a residence or other hotel in the area of your choice as your required quarantine, this must be booked before entry into Canada. The gov't was suggesting a fine  of $5000 for anyone who skipped the quarantine; not sure if that will be made into law. 

I don't wanna be contentious, but you'd be shocked at how many non-essntial vehicles are coming across. 

- Nate who can practically see a land border Bridge from his window and knows of several non-essential trips that have occurred.