New Alcohol Policy on HAL Questions

Sailfish

I just read somewhere that HAL has a new alcohol policy concerning bringing wine on board. I am sorry I don't have a link, perhaps someone can post this. It states that ALL wine brought on board at embarkation or in port will be subject to a corking fee. It used to be one bottle of wine or champagne per passenger at embarkation was free, right? 

I am going on a long cruise in Nov to South America on the Westerdam from Fort Lauderdale to Buenos Aires, so two bottles won't do it. But I was going to bring a bottle of champagne. 

Anyone have more info? 

Suzi

• Like 1

Could they make the font any smaller or lighter? ☹️ I can barely read it even with bifocals.  From what I can discern, it's a $20 corkage fee per bottle.  Yikes!

On my next HAL cruise we a beverage pkg. so it's hardly worth it to bother with bringing wine onboard.

• Like 3

Just now, Roz said:

Could they make the font any smaller or lighter? ☹️ I can barely read it even with bifocals.  From what I can discern, it's a $20 corkage fee per bottle.  Yikes!

On my next HAL cruise we a beverage pkg. so it's hardly worth it to bother with bringing wine onboard.

I think HAL kind of has the same line of thought - since most passengers will be using the signature beverage package,  most likely passengers who do want to bring onboard wine would be willing to be pay for the privilege. 

5 minutes ago, Roz said:

That’s what they were hoping you would say.  Either you spend money on the beverage package or pay to bring wine on board, both generate desperately needed revenue.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 3

This will be the first time I'll have a beverage pkg., only because it's part of the Have It All promotion.  I just don't drink that much.  

Trying to figure out "***** generate desperately needed revenue."

Just now, Roz said:

This will be the first time I'll have a beverage pkg., only because it's part of the Have It All promotion.  I just don't drink that much.  

Trying to figure out "***** generate desperately needed revenue."

Great minds think alike, I was posting exactly the same thought at the same time😁

• Like 1

Now that they are making ‘Have It All’ as an ongoing upgrade, this was almost inevitable. The old policy could discourage some people from opting for the new money maker.

Edit - * LOL - several minds thinking the same thing at the same time.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 1

Sad to hear this change.  Up until about 5 years ago, you could bring wine onboard without charge.  As a couple, we brought 12 bottles, 6 each, in our backpacks on a longer cruise as the rule was you had to carry it yourself.  Then, they went to one bottle each.

Carnival was always stricter as were Royal and Norwegian.  

Yes, we all know that the company has gone deep into the red during the shut down.

I'm sure the onboard prices will go up. The automatic gratuity even went up from 15 to 18%.  Guess we will have to cut back, pony up, or just pay the piper!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Roz said:

@KirkNC, do tell, what bad word did you use?

I don’t even know, I meant the word “both” which I went back and edited but even in the edit, it just showed *****.  I guess auto correct ran amok 😳😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, TiogaCruiser said:

Wow. No soda, other drinks, etc. Looks like canned water ( does it come that way?) and water in cartons is okay within the limit.

On our last cruise water was sold in cans.  The cans did have a screw top.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, cruisin'mama said:

My husband is diabetic and we used to bring a 12 pk of Diet Dr Pepper onboard for him. He won’t be happy that he can no longer do that!

You can still bring a 12 pack on in cartons or cans - just not plastic bottles.

1 hour ago, vicd1969 said:

I think HAL kind of has the same line of thought - since most passengers will be using the signature beverage package,  most likely passengers who do want to bring onboard wine would be willing to be pay for the privilege. 

If you can drink that wine every day on board, more power to you.  I’ll have a glass pre-dinner maybe but I sure won’t be drinking at dinner 😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roz said:

It’s a $2 increase in the corkage fee after a few years.  I don’t think that’s a yikes.  It as $18 before - $20 now - no biggie IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SLC1954 said:

I usually use a single plastic water bottle that I refill when I fly/sail. I guess I will have to look for an alternative.

I have got to believe that is badly written and they mean water bought in a plastic bottle, not a personal refillable water bottle.  I am a hiker and always carry one.  I will let the dust settle and the staff be trained in the new policy then send a message to HAL.