New Alcohol Policy on HAL Questions

Sailfish

12 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Actually, my father, the mathematician, told me that 1.6667 was one and two thirds - are you fudging a bit on the amount of wine you consume?😉

Thanks for catching that! I mistyped. It should have been 1.33333... Kinda weird that I got the words about numbers right but the numbers about numbers wrong.

Even though the wrong numbers were about alcohol, I can't even blame the wine.

• Haha 1

We are happy with whatever, however, in 2012, when this pic was taken, we felt like smugglers. On a 16 night Caribbean, and we celebrated like pirates and generously. Now of course we do not need to carry on that much any longer, but then, it was so worth it to have wine on our balcony pre- dinner. Anyone else carry on more than a case of wine back in the day?

a suitcase full of wine noordam 2012.JPG

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tuolumne couple said:

We are happy with whatever, however, in 2012, when this pic was taken, we felt like smugglers. On a 16 night Caribbean, and we celebrated like pirates and generously. Now of course we do not need to carry on that much any longer, but then, it was so worth it to have wine on our balcony pre- dinner. Anyone else carry on more than a case of wine back in the day?

On our Mediterranean cruise we started with just a half case but we loved being able to bring a bottle or 2 back to the ship at each of our port stops. We ended the cruise with 5 days in Rome, finishing up what we had gathered during the cruise. Oh, that was a wonderful trip!

• Like 2

On 6/17/2021 at 6:05 PM, tuolumne couple said:

Our buddy who loves wine brought a case on board in SD for a 7 night cruise to MX...it was fun!! 🙂

• Like 1

In 2009 on a Westerdam Panama cruise, we carried on 16 bottles of wine in a suitcase bought for the purpose.  I had worked out the maximum weight, but then had to lift it onto the baggage belt for the security check.  While the wine was okay and legal, my back wasn't for three days afterwards!  🙂

• Haha 3

I see that the beverage pkg in the "Have it All" is for drinks up to $11. On a cruise I like to have an evening martini or cosmo. Does $11 cover those? The martini needs to be with Bombay Sapphire.

4 minutes ago, mljatsea said:

I see that the beverage pkg in the "Have it All" is for drinks up to $11. On a cruise I like to have an evening martini or cosmo. Does $11 cover those? The martini needs to be with Bombay Sapphire.

Yes to the cocktails and yes to the Bombay Sapphire.

Just one caveat - my yes is based on the Signature Beverage Package when the ships last sailed.  None of us know if there will be changes made to it when they resume sailing.

C29CF190-C214-444A-9A6E-B11A20FB17A2.thumb.png.8541dfa13a3a7601d3a2658eab6710ba.png

Brought a case onboard for a 35 day Voyage of Vikings cruise. As we worked through it watching the scenery go by part of the fun was replenishing at various ports. We didn't have a corkage fee either.  Seems like ancient history now but great memories.

• Like 1

Ok, so here's a question: what about sparkling water, in cans? Like Lacroix, Bubly, etc. It's water, with some carbon dioxide and flavoring, in cans. From what I read it should allowed, up to 12 cans.

Anybody know?

1 hour ago, TriumphGuy said:

Ok, so here's a question: what about sparkling water, in cans? Like Lacroix, Bubly, etc. It's water, with some carbon dioxide and flavoring, in cans. From what I read it should allowed, up to 12 cans.

Anybody know?

Sparkling water has never been an issue.  It’s water.  As long as it’s non alcoholic, it’s a non issue - at least, that’s the way it’s always been 😉 

Anyone else carry on more than a case of wine back in the day?

I carried on 3 cases on the Grand Asia three years ago. I was onboard for 89 days, so that worked out perfectly, plus I bought a few bottles here and there in AU and NZ ports. I had to pay $18 corkage per bottle, but it was all in my cellar already, long since paid for, so it seemed like a bargain, and I got to drink wine I liked.

We sailed out of Seattle, and I lived nearby, so I didn't have to fly the wine anywhere, which would have made it prohibitively expensive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Is there any limit for the Quench package? My DH is the big soda drinker in the family. 

I'm new to HAL. 😄

No.  The quench package is unlimited.  

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/arts-entertainment/all-you-need-to-know-for-your-cruise-is-on-the-frequently-asked-questions-page/

On 6/10/2021 at 4:24 PM, St Pete Cruiser said:

Sad to hear this change.  Up until about 5 years ago, you could bring wine onboard without charge.  As a couple, we brought 12 bottles, 6 each, in our backpacks on a longer cruise as the rule was you had to carry it yourself.  Then, they went to one bottle each.     (Maybe, just maybe

too manycuisers  lugged  so much wine with  them t hat NOW   HAL is doing  what,     to me, seeems reasonable,  what isCarnival was always stricter as were Royal and Norwegian.  

@kazu  A moment of your time please?  I am sailing on the N. Statendam which has the Coca Cola machines.  I am getting conflicting information whether those are included in the Signature Package or not.  Do you know for certain if they are or aren't?  I am not a big soda drinker but a diet cherry coke in the afternoon sure can cut my sugar cravings.😃.    Thank you.

14 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

@kazu  A moment of your time please?  I am sailing on the N. Statendam which has the Coca Cola machines.  I am getting conflicting information whether those are included in the Signature Package or not.  Do you know for certain if they are or aren't?  I am not a big soda drinker but a diet cherry coke in the afternoon sure can cut my sugar cravings.😃.    Thank you.

I haven’t used the Coca Cola package myself but according to the HAL web style the Freestyle is included in the Coca Cola package on the Pinnacle Class ships.  Screen shot with the link below:

3FE57B67-FE2D-4E92-89AB-B16C900A02CD.thumb.png.73a08dad632ea02c33f8b068594a69fd.png

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq.shipboard-life.how-do-i-order-beverage-packages-and-cards.html

I would be tempted to take that along in case if you are worried and of course, you can access the policy on the Navigator app.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

I haven’t used the Coca Cola package myself but according to the HAL web style the Freestyle is included in the Coca Cola package on the Pinnacle Class ships.  Screen shot with the link below:

3FE57B67-FE2D-4E92-89AB-B16C900A02CD.thumb.png.73a08dad632ea02c33f8b068594a69fd.png

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq.shipboard-life.how-do-i-order-beverage-packages-and-cards.html

I would be tempted to take that along in case if you are worried and of course, you can access the policy on the Navigator app.

Thank you for pointing that out.  I appreciate it.   To be clear, it is included in the Signature package.  I am very confused by the whole thing

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

To be clear, it is included in the Signature package.  I am very confused by the whole thing

Here are screen shots of the Unlimited Coca-Cola, Quench and Signature packages for our future cruises - taken today. Note that the Freestyle Coca-Cola is included in the Unlimited Coca-Cola and Quench packages but NOT the Signature (or Elite, didn't do a screen shot of it)

563601368_7DayUnlimitedCoca-Cola.thumb.jpg.ad6069583e43dfe460aaa9ac5f361828.jpg

1050992806_7DayQuenchBeverages.thumb.jpg.2a8faa8b111226030cfd3526069667a2.jpg

80418772_7DaySignatureBeverages.thumb.jpg.8ab9869dafbe04184a4ccd4905aa74b7.jpg

• Like 1