Icy Strait Point Ziprider Adventure Excursion

Coffeeluvr05

If only one of us wants to actually ride the zipline, how does the other passenger go along to wait at the bottom without having to pay for the cost of the entire excursion?  Is the bottom of the zipline location walkable from the ship?  If anyone has details, please let me know.  Thanks so much!

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

The zipline is right there just off the ship.  DH did it and I waited at the bottom on a viewing platform to take photos as he came down.  Very easy, convenient and comfortable for us.

DH really enjoyed it.

Oh ok!  When you say just off the ship, how far is it from the dock where the tenders pick up and drop off?  Passengers have to be tendered in Icy Strait Point from what I can see.

You can look at Youtube for almost every excursion. Here is one from isp that shows the ship and the zip line landing area. Our HAL cruise tied up at the pier but that was a while ago and many things have changed. Also look in cruise critic " Alaska ports of call" Alaska Cruises Q&A: Find Tips & Recommendations - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

One of the World's Longest ZipLines (Icy Strait Point, Alaska, USA) - YouTube

Edited by SightCRR
add cc ak.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

If you find Seth Wayne's Icy Strait Point talk they showed film of it in action. I'm not a zipline fan but am considering doing it.  DH will pass.

My wife is deathly afraid of heights, but agreed to take the Icy Strait Point zipline when we were there. When we got to the bottom she wanted to buy tickets to go again immediately.

4 minutes ago, IPB4IGO said:

My wife is deathly afraid of heights, but agreed to take the Icy Strait Point zipline when we were there. When we got to the bottom she wanted to buy tickets to go again immediately.

I have the same fear of heights.  Watching the video made it seem doable.  I may need an adult beverage, or two, to actually go through it. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Zip line is AMAZING!! Much better than RCCLs Labadee in the Caribbean.  We did a tour that included driving 4-wheel small jeep like ATV then a bus to the Zip Line launch.  Unless you have phone contact with your cruise mate, I don't know how they would know when to watch for your arrival.  As for the dock, it is a floating dock which makes getting off and on the ship very easy without tidal issues.  There is also a tram that runs from the dock to the shore and then everything is walkable.  My DW used a scoter at Icy Strait with no issues.  Its a great port that will make you really feel like you are in Alaska.

Cheers!

🥂

See the source image

• Like 1

Maybe just to clarify one thing.  The person who is riding the Ziprider gets on a bus near the cruise pier and rides the bus into Hoonah and then up a mountain to where the Ziprider starts from.  It's a straight shot from there down to the landing area near the cruise pier.  That's where your non-riding friends can wait for you.

I don't know what the cell phone coverage is like at the top of the mountain so whether you can alert them that you're about to take off may be uncertain.

The first time I rode it, it was completely foggy and I couldn't see a thing.  But I was determined to ride it.  The next time was on a beautiful day and it was both more scenic and little more scary.

This is one place where I was happy to buy the photo of me on the zipline that they sell at the bottom.