Mardi Gras Specialty Dining theory…..

Jthomasou

So on the Mardi Gras half of the specialty dining you can not make reservations.  

My theory is they are going to use those dining options as free dining that passengers will rotate thru to create more distancing when dining.  

So Emeril, JiJi, and Capitan would be free dining in my theory. Steakhouse, Bonsai, Seafood pay dining. 

• Like 1

I would have said no, but I seem to be reading the buffet on rcl adventure is closed at dinner. I hope I'm misunderstanding. I like eating in the buffet. They are being forced to pay venues or Mdr. I hope its temporary for the restart. Well for snacking there is pizza and the cafe open, but I want a salad and more than pizza for dinner.

Only about 1k pax onboard. Guess for how many eat in buffet they decided not worth the bother. I prefer the buffet.

Edited by firefly333

13 hours ago, Jthomasou said:

So on the Mardi Gras half of the specialty dining you can not make reservations.  

My theory is they are going to use those dining options as free dining that passengers will rotate thru to create more distancing when dining.  

So Emeril, JiJi, and Capitan would be free dining in my theory. Steakhouse, Bonsai, Seafood pay dining. 

No disrespect,  but your theory is really out there.   Why on earth would pay venues JiJi's, Cucina del Capitano and Emeril's be complimentary?  The first two are 15.00 each for dinner and Emeril's is a la carte.

Distancing will not be needed at all on the initial cruises since they will be vaccinated and also at reduced capacity.  Protocols will be fluid as time progresses, but your initial theory doesn't hold much water.

• Like 4

I could see this theory having legs. A lot has been an unknown as far as what cruising would be like at the time it returns. If ships were forced to social distance then they could use those food venues as main dining rooms 3,4, ect... Not that they would serve specialty dining for free. They could just seat people there and serve mdr food. 

So maybe a year ago carnival said... Let's not book these venues untill we have a clear idea of what will happen as far as distancing. Or perhaps since Mardi gras was still being built they went as far as setting up the kitchens to be main dining rooms and now they need to be converted back.

I dunno. It's not my theory but I could see a situation where it is not an outrageous thought.

I'm still wondering about the no buffet for dinner on adventure. Not enough pax and crew onboard ro start? Just this cruise. 

Buffet open only for breakfast and lunch. I cant wait for vista to sail and see what they are doing

54 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm still wondering about the no buffet for dinner on adventure. Not enough pax and crew onboard ro start? Just this cruise. 

Buffet open only for breakfast and lunch. I cant wait for vista to sail and see what they are doing

When the buffet is open is it self served or crew served? Wonder if it could be an issue that they don't have enough wait crew available at dinner time to serve the dining rooms and accommodate special service in the buffet? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

When the buffet is open is it self served or crew served? Wonder if it could be an issue that they don't have enough wait crew available at dinner time to serve the dining rooms and accommodate special service in the buffet? 

As firefly333 said I also like the buffet most all the time. On RCL they are serving the food. Prior to the pandemic, several cruise ships loaded you plate. However the simple items you got your self. Rolls butter, desert etc. Hopefully it will revert back to the way it was. My wife and I both had covid19 and beat it. We also both go the pfizer vaccine. I have no problem serving myself when other people used the utensils. 

On 6/15/2021 at 11:04 AM, firefly333 said:

I would have said no, but I seem to be reading the buffet on rcl adventure is closed at dinner. I hope I'm misunderstanding. I like eating in the buffet. They are being forced to pay venues or Mdr. I hope its temporary for the restart. Well for snacking there is pizza and the cafe open, but I want a salad and more than pizza for dinner.

I have asked a friend on Adventure if this is accurate. I certainly hope not. He did say that the buffet was by reservation or wait in line to get in now, but I think he would have mentioned if it was closed at dinner. 

Yes. Currently limited seating in the buffet and it does not say anywhere that it will be closed for dinner.

If you have a reservation you will be seated quick. if not. If there is a table open you will be seated. Otherwise you will have to wait till a table open. That is now. What will happen tomorrow is anyone's guess.

16 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

No disrespect,  but your theory is really out there.   Why on earth would pay venues JiJi's, Cucina del Capitano and Emeril's be complimentary?  The first two are 15.00 each for dinner and Emeril's is a la carte.

Distancing will not be needed at all on the initial cruises since they will be vaccinated and also at reduced capacity.  Protocols will be fluid as time progresses, but your initial theory doesn't hold much water.

Is there a menu for Emeril's with prices anywhere?  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, asalligo said:

I have asked a friend on Adventure if this is accurate. I certainly hope not. He did say that the buffet was by reservation or wait in line to get in now, but I think he would have mentioned if it was closed at dinner. 

Confirmed true. Windjammer closed during dinner. 

22 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Here's a link to the menu Beth...no prices though.  Open all day.

https://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/explore/dining/menus/emerils-bistro-1396-accessible-menu.pdf

Thank you, I've seen that one but was just wondering if there was one with prices.  It's OK though, we'll try it anyway!  😊

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 9:57 AM, Jthomasou said:

So carnival just announced 3 names normally with a pay charge will be free on mardi gras and included in the fare. Lol you might be on to something though none you named. Cha bang or some such, pig and anchor and italian included with no cover charge.

26 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

So carnival just announced 3 names normally with a pay charge will be free on mardi gras and included in the fare. Lol you might be on to something though none you named. Cha bang or some such, pig and anchor and italian included with no cover charge.

It may very well be the already included (not "free") lunch menu from those three sposts that will simply be extended to dinner time as well. I highly doubt it will be the full menu that is normally available for dinner at an up-charge. 

10 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

It may very well be the already included (not "free") lunch menu from those three sposts that will simply be extended to dinner time as well. I highly doubt it will be the full menu that is normally available for dinner at an up-charge. 

I guess we will know soon. It says included usually pay venues.. I'm taking them at their word that it is the PAY venue for dinner on italian or the press release is untrue. Pig and anchor is not free for lunch or dinner usually? So you think they will swap out the meals and not serve the pay venue included?

On 6/15/2021 at 11:58 PM, SNJCruisers said:

Well wrong again half way. Not emerils .. and this ship has a different pay venue not JiJis.. but yep 3 usually free pay meals included.

Btw if we ever meet you owe me a drink. You and I bet. You bet carnival would do half vaccinated and half not vaccinated.. all are the same. If we are on the same cruise you can buy me that drink. Thanks lol :)

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 9:57 AM, Jthomasou said:

a few pay options will be available for a limited time, see linked topic.  🙂

• Like 1