What is Your Favorite Meal at Home you Miss while you're Sailing.......

BklynBoy8

On 9/25/2021 at 10:35 PM, capncarp said:

Which _meals_?

Welllllll.....

Second Breakfast.

Elevenses.

And Nuncheon.

Although the Windjammer buffet does help one muddle through the the thin times.....

I love this!

For us, when on a ship, it is generally First Coffee, first breakfast, second breakfast or Elevenses, and then more meal regularity.

Oh, wait, this is what we do at home, too, now that we are retired....

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a question for those of you who are serious cooks.

Are you a messy cook?

A certain excellent cook I know (no names will be given) leaves a mess at the end of the preparation.  Worth it for the quality of the meal, though.

Alternately, for those who have worked in, or observed, a professional kitchen, is messiness the norm/allowed?  The tv cooking shows always look so pristine....but I'm sure they have crew to remove measuring cups, wash pots, etc., off screen.  What is a real kitchen like?  What is a big ship's galley like?

9 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Here's a question for those of you who are serious cooks.

Are you a messy cook?

A certain excellent cook I know (no names will be given) leaves a mess at the end of the preparation.  Worth it for the quality of the meal, though.

Alternately, for those who have worked in, or observed, a professional kitchen, is messiness the norm/allowed?  The tv cooking shows always look so pristine....but I'm sure they have crew to remove measuring cups, wash pots, etc., off screen.  What is a real kitchen like?  What is a big ship's galley like?

I am going off a TV show but I noticed the hosts would always admonished contestants for having a messy cooking bench. They always kept telling them to work clean and that the bench should always be clear. Some of the challenges had them in a professional kitchen and I remember one contestant who was messy the chef who owned the restaurant looked horrified😂 and said you need to clear your bench this is not professional.

After watching the show I tried to "work clean" and I have to say it does make for a better cooking experience. I feel like I can focus on the processes better. I guess it is like that saying messy place messy mind 😜

17 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I am going off a TV show but I noticed the hosts would always admonished contestants for having a messy cooking bench. They always kept telling them to work clean and that the bench should always be clear. Some of the challenges had them in a professional kitchen and I remember one contestant who was messy the chef who owned the restaurant looked horrified😂 and said you need to clear your bench this is not professional.

After watching the show I tried to "work clean" and I have to say it does make for a better cooking experience. I feel like I can focus on the processes better. I guess it is like that saying messy place messy mind 😜

Rules of the kitchen:

Mis en place and clean clean clean!  I always used a clean bleach towel with a bleach testing kit that tested the bleach content in the water…no more than 3%.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2022 at 2:36 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Rules of the kitchen:

Mis en place and clean clean clean!  I always used a clean bleach towel with a bleach testing kit that tested the bleach content in the water…no more than 3%.  

Please do not come to inspect my kitchen.  😁  While I keep it clean, I doubt that it would meet your standards.  

• Like 2

On 1/5/2022 at 11:48 AM, shipgeeks said:

What is a big ship's galley like?

Spotless.  No clutter; only the foods that the various cooks/chefs are preparing; no greasy, slippery decks.  The galley appears to be a well designed space for both those doing the cooking as well as the Stewards doing the pick up of food to take to their dining room.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Spotless.  No clutter; only the foods that the various cooks/chefs are preparing; no greasy, slippery decks.  The galley appears to be a well designed space for both those doing the cooking as well as the Stewards doing the pick up of food to take to their dining room.  

We look forward to joining the Galley Tours each time we are on board. About an hour walk thru and available for our questions. Held mostly in the morn, we get to see what lunch looks like and desserts for dinner are.

On 1/8/2022 at 4:03 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

We look forward to joining the Galley Tours each time we are on board.

If you have the opportunity, the Behind the Scenes Tours that are sometimes offered for additional $$ are more comprehensive and detailed than the Galley Tours.  The ones on Carnival, Holland America, and Princess that I have experienced included time for our small group to converse and ask questions of the Executive Chef.  At the end of the tour, we gathered for drinks and snacks with the opportunity for additional conversation with the Hotel Manager or his/her designee.  Cruise line specific gifts are given.  I left a Princess cruise with their entire set of currently available cookbooks!  

• 4 weeks later...

Here is perhaps another aspect to the question.

How do you deal with your (planned) dwindling fresh food supplies in the days just before a cruise?

If all goes to plan, we will be on our way in 48 hours.  Milk is being meted out, as are juice, fruits, and vegetables.  Some creative combinations are being served, many of which include rice and lentils.

We are isolating, so no eating out.

The ship food is going to seem even more spectacular!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

How do you deal with your (planned) dwindling fresh food supplies in the days just before a cruise?

If all goes to plan, we will be on our way in 48 hours.  Milk is being meted out, as are juice, fruits, and vegetables.  Some creative combinations are being served, many of which include rice and lentils.

Good morning........you pose a very good question.......for me (I live alone)......I really try to make sure everything I can eat is out of the frig.   I am not self isolating so normally eat out those few nights right before taking my trip.  But as for the staples? Butter, cheese, etc......those can stay without issues while I am away.  But I have to say, the frig always looks pretty empty right before I leave for a trip. 

If you don't want to have any leftovers? You could always do take out (since you are not dining out). Order meals to bring home.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Spices lots of spices😂. When I'm trying to use what is left of the fresh food in my fridge I turn to my dried spices pantry. We end up making a lot of curry style dishes. One of my go to spice mixes is cumin, star anise, cloves and coriander seeds. It can elevate any combination of vegetables. I also like to use dried oregano and also dried Australian native herbs. Lemon myrtle, bush tomato and sea celery make a great stock for vegetable noodle soup. 

• Like 1

Just reach into the freezer.  I have bread, butter, meats, ice cream, veggies, raviolis and  even milk all set to go when I get home.  I always make a big batch of spaghetti sauce with meatballs and fennel sausage then make up individual containers that will make one good meal.  We usually keep at least three or four meals in the freezer…right now I have twelve meals.  We also do the same with soups.  I have 4 refrigerators…one for just wine.  We are ready for anything and do not need to go to the super market until we are ready.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Just reach into the freezer.  I have bread, butter, meats, ice cream, veggies, raviolis and  even milk all set to go when I get home.  I always make a big batch of spaghetti sauce with meatballs and fennel sausage then make up individual containers that will make one good meal.  We usually keep at least three or four meals in the freezer…right now I have twelve meals.  We also do the same with soups.  I have 4 refrigerators…one for just wine.  We are ready for anything and do not need to go to the super market until we are ready.

Hi CGT🙂..........4 refrigerators?😲......WOW!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

We have one that is equal to 3 with it's contents.

Can make practically any of our favorite meals. When I shop, I shop for future meals and last minute treats to create.

21 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi CGT🙂..........4 refrigerators?😲......WOW!

I know…sounds crazy but it just happened that way…long story…one on the second floor, one on the first floor and two in the basement.  I like keeping a lot of wine on hand even though I won’t be able to drink it until I get a new kidney…lol…hope springs eternal.  Buying good wine is like buying up and coming stocks…only gets better with age.  Then I have a surplus of fruit nectars…mango, passion fruit, guava, apricot, peach, pineapple, etc…on the first floor with my pantry-bar room…lol. These are for my tiki drinks…in case someone should drop in for some liquid refreshment.  Don’t get the wrong idea…we live in an old (105 years old) two family house.  We turned the first floor apartment into an art studio with a full kitchen…perfect for painting and entertaining.   

• Like 1

I miss having nice breakfasts.  I haven't been on a cruise yet where I saw anything impressive, unusual, or inspiring for breakfast even when they have great dinners

I make a nice cheese souffle at home

hopple popple

boxty

I make my eggs Benedict with a vinegar (as the acid instead of lemon) hollandaise and dress it up with green onions...usually toast the muffin too

give me something different...maybe shakshuka  or just a decent breakfast skillet!

eggs cooked  by them themselves with a side of meat cooked by itself and a stack of pancakes is not a cruise-worthy meal!

Huevos rancheros is about the only attempt I ever see and it's usually mediocre at best...sigh

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, seamus69 said:

I miss having nice breakfasts.  I haven't been on a cruise yet where I saw anything impressive, unusual, or inspiring for breakfast even when they have great dinners

I make a nice cheese souffle at home

hopple popple

boxty

I make my eggs Benedict with a vinegar (as the acid instead of lemon) hollandaise and dress it up with green onions...usually toast the muffin too

give me something different...maybe shakshuka  or just a decent breakfast skillet!

eggs cooked  by them themselves with a side of meat cooked by itself and a stack of pancakes is not a cruise-worthy meal!

Huevos rancheros is about the only attempt I ever see and it's usually mediocre at best...sigh

How about Eggs Benedict made with fillet mignon?  

Once upon a time I was on Celebrity and they served a luncheon dish call Eggs Fritz Dugan.  They were petite fillets sautéed with wine and onions served on grilled English muffins with poached eggs and a beef based cream sauce with mushrooms.  I liked it so much that I duplicated it for a high end brunch that I catered for 50 people.  It was a huge hit.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Once upon a time I was on Celebrity and they served a luncheon dish call Eggs Fritz Dugan.  They were petite fillets sautéed with wine and onions served on grilled English muffins with poached eggs and a beef based cream sauce with mushrooms.  I liked it so much that I duplicated it for a high end brunch that I catered for 50 people.  It was a huge hit.

Sounds divine!  I might have to steal that from you and Celebrity.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 2:19 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi CGT, that sounds delicious for sure😃

6 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

It was and is…so much so I’m thinking of having it soon.  I have a whole tenderloin strip parked in the freezer and I’m starting to think about it…after reading this. 😁

Ohhhh........I will bring the wine😃