Do "mixed dose" vaccinated Canadians qualify for Seattle departure vax requirement?

Searching the rules around Seattle departures and vaccinations indicates passengers must be fully vaccinated from "authorized vaccine". USA has only authorized 3 vaccines, while Canada has authorized 4 (astrazeneca being the Canada-only one). To complicate things further, in Canada it's authorized to mix the vaccines (for example having AstraZeneca for 1st dose and Pfizer for 2nd dose) and that is considered "fully vaccinated" in Canada. 

So, when RCCL says "fully vaccinated from authorized vaccine" are they recognizing the above scenarios for Canadian passengers? Their website isn't clear and it would be a shame to book only to be denied boarding.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gospelle said:

Searching the rules around Seattle departures and vaccinations indicates passengers must be fully vaccinated from "authorized vaccine". USA has only authorized 3 vaccines, while Canada has authorized 4 (astrazeneca being the Canada-only one). To complicate things further, in Canada it's authorized to mix the vaccines (for example having AstraZeneca for 1st dose and Pfizer for 2nd dose) and that is considered "fully vaccinated" in Canada. 

So, when RCCL says "fully vaccinated from authorized vaccine" are they recognizing the above scenarios for Canadian passengers? Their website isn't clear and it would be a shame to book only to be denied boarding.

Who knows.  I just heard (as an aside) Broadway show with springstein must be vaccinated with on the the 3 approved in US.  They said no to any others.  So overall, I wonder if this catches on all over, international travel won't be as easy as get the vaccine.  May have to be country specific.  

Edited by sept10dsm
spelling

1 hour ago, gospelle said:

To make it even more confusing, Health Canada has just given permission for second doses of MRNA to not match the first shot. Another words, if your first shot was Pfizer, your second could be Moderna or vice versa. 

Just read a post on a Sandals FB page where a Canadian went to upload they vaccine documents to the Barbados Government portal. They had AZ first shot, and Pfizer for their second shot. They were considered not fully vaccinated by the Barbados government because they did not follow the vaccine manufacturer instructions. If they went they would have to quarantine at the resort in their room for 5 days awaiting their negative PCR test up in arrival.  Had they been approved, they only would have needed a rapid test at the resort upon arrival.  With a negative result, in under two hours, they could have roamed the resort and island freely. 

This photo was the response from the government. 

5980769E-90F2-4CA0-B4A7-0F8482846ED6.thumb.jpeg.0a2b68252951f776e2c06ad46f8c61f1.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I did not realize folks from Canada can board ships in Seattle.  I mean why if your ports are closed to US then how can you take a ship out of Seattle?

Canadians can travel into the US so long as restrictions are followed. Then follow the rules of RC to board ship. Returning to Canada will also require jumping through hoops. 

3 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Also mixing vaccines is somehow a new issue that has surfaced.

You would not see it in America, but Canada has not had the same roll out of vaccine as the States have had. Vaccine approval has been a roller coaster of approvals VS changes etc and now a combinations of different types used together.

We are now where you were many months ago, in regards to low case counts and positivity in the future. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I sent my account rep at Royal this exact same question earlier today.  i will post once I hear back.

It will be interesting to hear their response. The question alone will sound foreign to them, with no back story. 

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I sent my account rep at Royal this exact same question earlier today.  i will post once I hear back.

8 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

It will be interesting to hear their response. The question alone will sound foreign to them, with no back story. 

Did either of you get a mixed dose?  My sister in law did.  I'm curious about efficacy numbers.

31 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Did either of you get a mixed dose?  My sister in law did.  I'm curious about efficacy numbers.

In this house so far we have matching. Efficiency is supposed to be better if AZ is combined with either PF or MD. Supposedly if you combine either Pfizer or Moderna is it equally high to the same dose strictly. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

38 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

28 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

It was kind of funny, my rep (lives in Canada) had already asked the question and as for now it shouldn't be an issue as long as 2 doses and 14 days after the second dose.  Full protocols for sailings after September to be released soon.

No mixed doses for Vikki and I (both Pfizer)

Given some of the issues that seem to be appearing I will make sure the kids get scheduled into a place that is giving Pfizer (that's what they had for their first) even if it means waiting a few weeks longer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

My husband and I both got AZ for the first dose and Pfizer for the second. It is supposed to have better efficacy against the delta variant. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Given some of the issues that seem to be appearing I will make sure the kids get scheduled into a place that is giving Pfizer (that's what they had for their first) even if it means waiting a few weeks longer.

In London the PHU said you show up and get whatever shot they give, no matter your first dose. You might get the original or whatever they have. They will tell you what is being administered before it happens.  Hopefully their second shot matches the first. 

Thinking out loud… technically most Canadians who got shots have not followed the manufacturer’s guidelines because of the huge delay between shots.  

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

In London the PHU said you show up and get whatever shot they give, no matter your first dose. You might get the original or whatever they have. They will tell you what is being administered before it happens.  Hopefully their second shot matches the first. 

Thinking out loud… technically most Canadians who got shots have not followed the manufacturer’s guidelines because of the huge delay between shots.  

Here in Durham different centers are administering different vaccines, they are still trying to keep people with the same dose other than the AZ

13 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Thanks Ken. You are a great source of up to date info on this kind of thing. I am vacked with AZ my father with Pfizer so the upcoming Anthem in November could be a problem for me.

Do you also happen to know or have you asked if updated variant jabs which might soon be brought out will be required when we get to that stage? Again a big problem for me as I am in lower UK rollout group.

17 hours ago, sept10dsm said:

So overall, I wonder if this catches on all over, international travel won't be as easy as get the vaccine.  May have to be country specific.  

And that could cause a lot of bother in the world.

20 minutes ago, SGTTUBA75 said:

Just curious, how do they know this?  I don’t recall any trails where vaccines were mixed and with Canada’s vaccine process, have they had time to discover the efficiency with mixed doses?

Thanks

Just going from the news story I saw.  No idea on trials etc.  At this point I think NACI just makes stuff up while rolling the dice.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Thanks Ken. You are a great source of up to date info on this kind of thing. I am vacked with AZ my father with Pfizer so the upcoming Anthem in November could be a problem for me.

Do you also happen to know or have you asked if updated variant jabs which might soon be brought out will be required when we get to that stage? Again a big problem for me as I am in lower UK rollout group.

AZ is not a problem as it is recognized by WHO.  The only problem that we thought could have existed was the mixing of vaccines.

As there are no variant booster shots there are no policies regarding those.

4 minutes ago, SGTTUBA75 said:

Not Canadian, but this seems to only be an assumption.  They may end up being correct. Just too soon for proper testing of this assumption. 

Agreed.  I think they are just trying to race the Delta Variant and get most any shot into an arm with no delay. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

As there are no variant booster shots there are no policies regarding those

They are being trialled now in UK at least with thought of possible rollout starting September according to various UK media articles.

This is something I'm going to have to worry about.  I'm in Hamilton, Ontario.  I got Pfizer as my first shot.  I'm able to reschedule my second shot on Wednesday as Hamilton has now been classified as a Delta hot spot.  But I've also just read that Pfizer will be shorting us again for the next few weeks.  So when you go on the portal all clinics are giving Moderna.  Probably because they are keeping what Pfizer we do get for the 12-17 year olds.  I don't know if keeping my original booking for September will even guarantee that I will get Pfizer for my second shot.  And even though the clinics will say they have both I doubt I can go in asking for a specific brand, I'll get laughed at. 

I think the biggest problem will be the countries.  I'm sure Royal will accept whatever we have but will the port stops?

10 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

. It is supposed to have better efficacy against the delta variant. 

This is what our scientists are saying, especially for the third booster jab in the Autumn,  though so far in UK they are not mixed

4 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

This is something I'm going to have to worry about.  I'm in Hamilton, Ontario.  I got Pfizer as my first shot.  I'm able to reschedule my second shot on Wednesday as Hamilton has now been classified as a Delta hot spot.  But I've also just read that Pfizer will be shorting us again for the next few weeks.  So when you go on the portal all clinics are giving Moderna.  Probably because they are keeping what Pfizer we do get for the 12-17 year olds.  I don't know if keeping my original booking for September will even guarantee that I will get Pfizer for my second shot.  And even though the clinics will say they have both I doubt I can go in asking for a specific brand, I'll get laughed at. 

I think the biggest problem will be the countries.  I'm sure Royal will accept whatever we have but will the port stops?

We went for our second shot at a clinic that had both Moderna and Pfizer. When we got there, they asked which one we got and then gave us the same shot accordingly.  Today I am bringing my 12 year old to that same clinic so they would have to have ensure they have Pfizer.  But yeah, no guarantee if they are getting low on one, and may vary from one location to the next. We are just north of Toronto in York region.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

We went for our second shot at a clinic that had both Moderna and Pfizer. When we got there, they asked which one we got and then gave us the same shot accordingly.  Today I am bringing my 12 year old to that same clinic so they would have to have ensure they have Pfizer.  But yeah, no guarantee if they are getting low on one, and may vary from one location to the next. We are just north of Toronto in York region.

Make sure your son gets Pfizer, as it is the only one approved for 12-18.  Accidents happen, but I doubt they’d give him the wrong one. 

Edited by A&L_Ont