Working Vacation

Remus

I spent 22-years doing this on every vacation, every time I was away from work. It wasn't until I got laid off that I realized the company never even cares about the work people do. My new position is a no-work-on-vacation company. You are not allowed to take the company computer with you. Your on job responsibilities while on vacation is to know you have no job responsibilities. 

Believe me, I can relate to you. It is just a different worth ethic people had before. Until you get blind-sided, you don't realize what companies truly think of the work.

Not all employers would be OK with staff using large monitors in public spaces.   My company's work at home agreement requires us to ensure privacy so that 'random strangers' can see what I'm working on.  I'd never be permitted to set up like that in public - I can't even use my laptop on an airplane if the seat next to me is occupied.

If your work is so complex that multiple monitors are required, you may struggle to find an appropriate place to set up at all...  Even places that are typically quiet can be scheduled for events and activities.

Agree with previous posters that suggest a resort instead.  Leave your stuff set up, plenty of power outlets and reliable high-speed internet, not have to tear it down at a moments' notice, and the ability to work in a more private environment all sound more ideal.

I'd hate to spend an hour lugging expensive equipment around, fuss with power cords and WiFi connection, get all comfy with my headphones... only to have a staff member tap me on the shoulder and say Super Trivia starts in 10 minutes.

• Like 1

I used to follow someone who worked from a ship like this- they had spoken to the cruise line as they were considering some months on board, and I believe they received a special offer for that. 

They were able to have food/drink when they wanted, of course, and could send their emails when they were in port.... and relax in a pool whenever they needed a break. 

On 6/18/2021 at 5:26 PM, Remus said:

I'm sure this will be considered strange to many or most people but, I'm thinking about taking a cruise on which I spend a lot of time working. I can work pretty much anywhere I have my computer and internet (even if only once in a while). I think it will be nice to just get away from my office and the many interruptions/distractions. Does anybody know if this is common? Is it discussed anywhere on the boards? I haven't been able to find mention of it anywhere. Thanks!

Several years ago we rented a condo for a month in Costa Rica.  Our neighbor was doing exactly that and told us that he does it frequently because the nature of his job allows him to work remotely.  So rather than staying home in the cold and snow, he rents places for a month at a time in Costa Rica.

Don't see why you could not do this on a cruise ship. I say go for it and give it a try.

Focus on all the reasons why this can work, not the reasons why it may not work well.

The one proviso for him is that he required good internet.  Which was one of the reasons why he returned to the same condo in Costa Rica each year.

For me it was the opposite.  One reason we cruised was to be away from the phone and the internet.

Edited by iancal

I would get an at sea hot spot (marine satellite) so you are not working with sensitive data on a public wifi system.

I have worked on the road for years for up to two months, always, always with my own internet.

Edited by Mary229

On 6/20/2021 at 8:01 PM, Luckiestmanonearth said:

In an exchange for working from home, my company expects employees do have reliable internet (having poor internet is not an excuse for not being able to connect).

I would not trust the cruise ship to have good enough internet to ensure no connection issues.

As I read your post, it means that you never get a vacation.  Did I get it right?

DON

41 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

As I read your post, it means that you never get a vacation.  Did I get it right?

DON

Actually not correct.  I take vacation and don’t do work (which is the way it should be)

Unfortunately it’s taken me many years to figure this out but better late than never 

Yes.  Do it.  Take a cruise and work from the cruise.  There are MANY quiet places on the ship in the daytime that are quiet and/or private.  For example, you will find many people reading books in the library (if the ship has one), or in the Crow's Nest area.  The Crow's Nest will pick up later in the day as people head up to the bar there, but before that, it is mostly people doing puzzles, reading and relaxing.  I have gone to many of the bars in the morning hours and most are not open and those offer quiet and private spaces.  Everyone already commented on the wifi and it sounds like you understand that.  Don't expect to get into the computer lab.  I have found that after classes are over, the room is locked, as it should be.  You could also set up in the main pool area on the side tables, but after morning, the noise will pick up significantly.  Go ahead and do it, but get out of your stateroom.  

On 6/22/2021 at 3:08 PM, donaldsc said:

DON

I guess it depends on how you define vacation.  Before I retired, I don't think I was on one cruise where I did not spend some time doing work.  That was never an issue to be personally, and I enjoyed my vacation.     

• Like 1