Silver Spirits Drinks Package

luv2cruzuk

1 minute ago, duquephart said:

You can still do it. You're paying for it either way. I don't get the "worry" part either.

Like arguing politics - each to his own!  That's the beauty - we all have choices.   There really is no debate, just opinions and preferences.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Why stop there? Couple of eye-openers before you brush yout teeth, couple of beers after breakfast, couple of martinis at the port talk, ----------------------------

I like to put a double shot next to my bed in case I have insomnia. The Silver Spirits package comes in handy for that; I take a gulp of my favorite drink and slip blissfully into slumber. 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, FolsomMike said:

My wife doesn’t drink so I’m trying to see if there’s any reason for me to pay $40/day for this. Can someone explain the difference in price for the premium wines by the glass?

Pre covid the SSBP got you a wine list.  Not all wines are available by the glass but we found the list to be a better choice.  But we also had nice included wines too.  On the wine list there are "super premium" for lack of a better word that are above the SSBP.  When ordering these more expensive wines SSBP pax get 15% off.  We found a Valpolicella we really like which was $75 on the wine list but we were charged $63.  About what the same wine sells for at our local Total Wine.  You won't find a better deal afloat...  And we we were paying with OBC so why not?🍸

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Dukefan, we were contemplating doing the June 26 Iceland cruise but our pet sitter (three cats) was not going to be available. So we opted for an earlier two week land trip. We arrive near Reykjavik on the 26th and are getting our return test in Reykjavik on Sunday the 27th. We plan to check out the Sky that day too and beg for cinnamon rolls 🙂 .  Sky was the first ship we sailed in July 2019 to St. Petersburg. We fly out on the 29th. Sorry to miss you!

We’re booked on the Venus Sept. 12 for Malta/Adriatic.

~Linda & Dave

From looking at your photos and comments, we would have enjoyed meeting you and Dave, Linda.   Maybe on a future cruise.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Here you go ... onboardbeveragemenu_oceans.pdf (vikingcruises.com)

We embark on our very first Viking cruise here in Bermuda on Aug 3, and we can't wait! We'll have the Silver Spirits package, of course!!

Thank you...can you pick any beer on the list included with dinner or only the $5.00 brands?

5 hours ago, ericosmith said:

Thank you...can you pick any beer on the list included with dinner or only the $5.00 brands?

Typically you order either "a beer" or "a dark beer" and you get what they bring you.

• Like 1

We are on the Venus now and purchased the drinks package before boarding. 
I think we’d drank our monies worth before sailing! 
For us, it’s about being able to try new drinks that we haven’t had before. The package offers beers and wines that we haven’t tried before. 
I think the price is a bargain compared to the other cruise lines and we wouldn’t hesitate to purchase it again. 
Saying that I’ve put on 9lbs in 6 days 😩

• Like 8

13 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

You may find it is slightly cheaper (or better value 🙂 depending who you are) if you purchase the beverage package on board and pay in dollars. I 

Thank you for reminding me about this.  In fact I will wait to pay onboard since we have some OBC, which was brought forward from our cancelled September Norway cruise,  which should cover the package.  

Having cruised both with and without the SS package I know which I prefer.  In addition our cruise is over the New Year and whilst Viking do provide 'free' fizzy wine at midnight, it may be an occasion that we have a couple more drinks than usual.

In addition we really love Torshaven and it is quite easy to enjoy one or two drinks whilst listening to the fantastic groups.

How people spend their money is an individual choice.  For example I am happy in one of the lowest grade cabins.  In addition I am not a fan of paid shore excursions.  We love cruising the Med but have visited all of the ports on numerous occasions so we are likely to take local busses or trains.

However I would not question others on their choices.  I believe that would be both patronising and impolite.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

SSBP is just not worth it to me, largely because I have found their drink prices to be very reasonable on board. $7-8 for a cocktail feels dirt cheap and if I have 2 per day that's it and generally more like one. I'm not a big wine drinker and the house wine is OK.  And DH drinks less than me, so we will stick with a la carte. But to each her own.

• Like 6

We are of the same mindset.  We await our first Viking Cruise, but between my wife and I, we don't drink $40 per day.  We are taking a Princess Cruise to Mexico in late November (Uber ride to the ship so convenience is key) we booked during Covid and got a deal which included unlimited drinks.  I will drink much more than normal that week.

Every person on CC has a different opinion regarding drinking on a Viking ship. And every person has the right to his or her opinion.

My wife and I are moderate drinkers. In my case, my attitude toward alcohol consumption is influenced, in part, by the fact that my sister died at age 52 from acute alcoholic hepatitis. In lay terms, she drank herself to death. So I try hard to limit my own consumption.  

We’ve taken four Viking cruises since 2019. In September, we’ll sail on a Viking cruise that, for the first time for us, includes the SSBP — not because we paid for the package, but because Viking rolled it into the cruise price. Will we use the package? If so, will we enjoy it? I don’t know the answer to either question. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately my wife has gone full on diabetic due to kidney transplant meds as a result the only way she drinks is by tasting my drink.  She rarely gets a drink on her own.

As a result I can't justify the package I would have to drink 5 drinks a day to break even.

I am looking forward to some drinks on our upcoming cruise just not 5+ drinks a day.

However I wont ever turn down a SSBP if offered as a promo.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kate7047 said:

SSBP is just not worth it to me, largely because I have found their drink prices to be very reasonable on board. $7-8 for a cocktail feels dirt cheap and if I have 2 per day that's it and generally more like one.

That’s a good point. We also found Viking’s cocktail prices to be quite reasonable. 

• Like 3

On 6/24/2021 at 4:49 PM, CCWineLover said:

Like arguing politics - each to his own!  That's the beauty - we all have choices.   There really is no debate, just opinions and preferences.

Far be it from me to opine over how other people spend their money.  But the level of discussion over a $20 a day drink premium on a cruise that cost ~$3,000 per person seems a bit humorous.  Someone above said they'll only have 2 drinks per day making it not worth it.  Two drinks are ~$16 and the SSBP costs $20.  On a 7 day cruise that makes the savings of going it alone a whopping $28.  That's 1/10 of a percent of the cruise fare. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Does anyone know if smoothies are an included item or if they would be included in the SSBP?  My husband really doesn't drink but between being able to get fresh-squeezed orange juice throughout the day (I believe it is included at breakfast time?) and his afternoon strawberry banana smoothie, Silver Spirits may be worth the price for us.

Is there fresh squeezed orange juice available throughout the day and if so where may we find it?

Also fresh fruit smoothies? DH doesn't drink alcohol and we have the SSBP included.

I enjoy champagne but not sweet sparkling wine, I read it's not included. Does anyone know...  if you can pay the 1 dollar difference on the champagne per glass price of $16.  if you have the SSBP?

Edited by C-sea

On 6/27/2021 at 12:44 AM, B_A_H said:

Far be it from me to opine over how other people spend their money.  But the level of discussion over a $20 a day drink premium on a cruise that cost ~$3,000 per person seems a bit humorous.  Someone above said they'll only have 2 drinks per day making it not worth it.  Two drinks are ~$16 and the SSBP costs $20.  On a 7 day cruise that makes the savings of going it alone a whopping $28.  That's 1/10 of a percent of the cruise fare. 

Heh … opining over how others spend their money seems to be a major theme whenever this topic arises.

The SSBP would cost us $560 for our 2-week cruise. That’s apparently chump change for some, but definitely not for us. If we paid that, I’d feel compelled to get our money’s worth. Probably wouldn’t end well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C-sea said:

Does anyone know...  if you can pay the 1 dollar difference on the champagne per glass price of $16.  if you have the SSBP?

I think you have to pay the full price of any drink over $15.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, C-sea said:

I enjoy champagne but not sweet sparkling wine, I read it's not included. Does anyone know...  if you can pay the 1 dollar difference on the champagne per glass price of $16.  if you have the SSBP?

Negative, all drinks priced over $15 are charged at full price. You do not pay just the difference.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, C-sea said:

Is there fresh squeezed orange juice available throughout the day and if so where may we find it?

Also fresh fruit smoothies? DH doesn't drink alcohol and we have the SSBP included.

I have not sailed Viking yet (we sail in March) but I have read extensively and spent lots of time lurking here and reading all 46 pages of the tips for newbies that someone will post from time to time so take this with a grain of salt.  As I understand it, fresh orange juice is available from the bars but you pay $3.75 for a 6 oz. glass.  I also believe you can get fresh orange juice at the restaurant at breakfast and from room service at breakfast but you should specify "Fresh" orange juice on the card.  As for fruit smoothies, even if don't have them, per se, you can always order something like a daiquiri and ask them to leave out the alcohol.  I have also seen "smoothie of the day" listed in some of the Daily Viking newsletter.  I think these are available in the World Cafe?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JerseyMom said:

I have not sailed Viking yet (we sail in March) but I have read extensively and spent lots of time lurking here and reading all 46 pages of the tips for newbies that someone will post from time to time so take this with a grain of salt.  As I understand it, fresh orange juice is available from the bars but you pay $3.75 for a 6 oz. glass.  I also believe you can get fresh orange juice at the restaurant at breakfast and from room service at breakfast but you should specify "Fresh" orange juice on the card.  As for fruit smoothies, even if don't have them, per se, you can always order something like a daiquiri and ask them to leave out the alcohol.  I have also seen "smoothie of the day" listed in some of the Daily Viking newsletter.  I think these are available in the World Cafe?

Probably not any fresh fruit in a daiquiri. Almost certainly use a mix of some sort.