How cruise lines are coping with Vaccination Ban

Just now, MorganClark said:

Yes, but how will the cruise line treat them, as vaccinated or unvaccinated?

the government looks at them better than vaccinated. they are the only group that does not have to be tested  crossing the border.  i am in Iceland now and they are the only ones that can go to US without testing

25 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

But DeSantis' executive order is already in effect.

Correct, the executive order is in effect, but the Florida State Law banning vaccination passports does not go into effect until July 1st.  We all know the difference between an order and a law. I think the protocol will be tighter after the order is an actual law. We shall see next week.

9 minutes ago, ericfromri said:

the government looks at them better than vaccinated. they are the only group that does not have to be tested  crossing the border.  i am in Iceland now and they are the only ones that can go to US without testing

But according to the State Department that is only if recovered in the past 90 days.  Looking at the graph I'd say that would only cover about 20% of the total US cases.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

But according to the State Department that is only if recovered in the past 90 days.  Looking at the graph I'd say that would only cover about 20% of the total US cases.

they will work out a formula for guidance.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

But DeSantis' executive order is already in effect.

Read the executive order and the Florida law.  The answer is contained in a loophole in the wording  and that neither stops a person from voluntarily providing the information.

5 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Read the executive order and the Florida law.  The answer is contained in a loophole in the wording  and that neither stops a person from voluntarily providing the information.

I am already aware and have discussed it at length here in this thread. I was just responding to the person who thought today's Edge sailing is unaffected by the law.

5 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Those who are unwilling to volunteer proof at the port will only be allowed to board if there is available room in the 5% unvaccinated pool.  Otherwise, they would be denied boarding.  The calls/emails sent out by Celebrity in advance of sailing will allow them to keep their unvaccinated pool at 5% or less as required by the CDC.  Folks who say they are vaccinated and then refuse to show proof at the port may be out of luck.

Shoudn't they check when you book your cruise instead of before you get to boarding if you are not vaccinated? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, delliemd said:

Shoudn't they check when you book your cruise instead of before you get to boarding if you are not vaccinated? 

I think they are doing that for any new bookings.  The email/phone call verifications are for anyone who booked before the procedure was put into place.  I would imagine for any new bookings they will verify vaccination status (yes/no) at booking, again at final payment, and then you will have to submit your proof at boarding.  They are not accepting photos or uploaded proof, only the actual document.

My September NCL cruise didn't ask for vaccination verification when I booked it. There was just a message that appears when you selected the room category that said proof of vaccine required for all guests.

2 hours ago, delliemd said:

When I booked a Celebrity sailing yesterday, there was a check box for me to confirm that I am vaccinated, but that was a recent addition to the booking process, I believe.

On 6/26/2021 at 1:52 PM, Homosassa said:

Is there any chance the wording of the law can be changed to reflect that volunteering the vaccine proof is not allowed either? I'm referring to an addendum to the law. Is that even a thing? Anyone know?

11 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Is there any chance the wording of the law can be changed to reflect that volunteering the vaccine proof is not allowed either? I'm referring to an addendum to the law. Is that even a thing? Anyone know?

I am sure it is possible. It would have to pass the state legislature again and the be signed by DeSantis.

26 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

If they did then maybe the lines could put the vaccine verification off until they leave Florida.  For that and other reasons which we can't discuss here I don't see the point in changing the law.

28 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

There is no way that type of change would be made. That would be an unconstitutional infringement on a person’s right to divulge private information about themselves. Even Florida is not going to go that far. Given that the Celebrity Edge sailed Saturday with 99% vaccinated passengers and voluntary submission of vaccination status without so much as a peep from anyone in the Governor’s office is a sure sign that the workaround is valid. Folks are stressing out about nothing. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, disneylover89 said:

Well hopefully more people who were on the ship with the 2 positive, unvaccinated teens do not pop up over the next week and a half. I'm sure that is something which is being watched closely, at least I hope so.

I would not bet on any follow up being done. RCI got rid of the “problem” by transporting the families home and have washed their hands of it. They are strengthening the protocols for vaccinated families with unvaccinated children starting with this week’s sailing, but they also need to start enforcing the unvaccinated mask mandate. Numerous reports that many children/teens not masked on these cruises, hence the infections. Expect more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

Well hopefully more people who were on the ship with the 2 positive, unvaccinated teens do not pop up over the next week and a half. I'm sure that is something which is being watched closely, at least I hope so.

I seriously doubt it. It does not benefit RCL to follow the passengers. The only way we will know is if the media gets involved, and they don't seem too interested either. 

28 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

I hope that NCL will start sailing out of New York and Boston very soon.    It's time for a come back.

If vaccinations are required, that would eliminate young children from sailing?

NCL is supposed to be sailing out of NYC on September 26. This was a fairly recently added sailing, not one that was on the books pre-COVID. So that makes me a bit more hopeful it will actually happen.

44 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

I hope that NCL will start sailing out of New York and Boston very soon.    It's time for a come back.

If vaccinations are required, that would eliminate young children from sailing?

Yes, according to the Sail Safe outline.

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I seriously doubt it. It does not benefit RCL to follow the passengers. The only way we will know is if the media gets involved, and they don't seem too interested either. 

You don't think this is something the CDC is watching to monitor cruises  and evaluate the results to see when rules may be relaxed.

@harkinmr

Edited by disneylover89

16 minutes ago, disneylover89 said:

You don't think this is something the CDC is watching to monitor cruises  and evaluate the results to see when rules may be relaxed.

@harkinmr

The CDC doesn't have purview over the Nassau sailings. If both teens who tested positive were Americans, the CDC may be able to monitor them once they are home, but I don't know if we know that or not? Certainly, there were some number of non-Americans onboard that ship, which might make tracing passengers who disembarked and returned to their home countries impossible for the CDC to track.