Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

1 hour ago, UpcountryTravelers said:

After 2 Medallion Class cruises, I find the app useful for 2 things.  Unlocking your stateroom door, and ordering adult beverages in the buffet (you have to use it for that).

From your other post on DMW thread, I feel like you have a limited understanding of the App and it's functions.  The App doesn't open your cabin door - the physical Medallion does that and App not required.  Yes, you can order a drink and some food items using the MC App, but you use the Medallion if ordering from a waiter in order to identify and confirm which cabin to charge the cost to.

I hope you have better experience in future.

• Like 1

You are correct, Sir.  I misspoke.  The medallion unlocks (does not open) your stateroom door.  You hand it to a clerk in the stores or a server in the bars.  The app (which Princess seems to tie together) is for uploading your info before cruise, and to order some things onboard (like adult beverages in the buffet).  IMO, both have been seriously oversold by Princess. 

Don't expect any "better experiences" in our next cruise (December), as we now know what to expect.

• Like 2

New to Princess cruising and the Medallion App.  I have uploaded our passports into the Medallion App and our vaccine cards as well.  So when we check in for boarding - does Princess just verify or look at the App and the QR code or do we actually have to show our physical documents? It would not make sense to me to have to show the physical documents since we need to upload the info to the App but just trying to figure out how boarding works.

Thanks.

6 hours ago, san diego spartan said:

New to Princess cruising and the Medallion App.  I have uploaded our passports into the Medallion App and our vaccine cards as well.  So when we check in for boarding - does Princess just verify or look at the App and the QR code or do we actually have to show our physical documents? It would not make sense to me to have to show the physical documents since we need to upload the info to the App but just trying to figure out how boarding works.

Thanks.

Princess will want to see your original passport, just like the airlines do for boarding an airplane. They also tell you in the first line of FAQ under what to bring with me to sail…

Here’s the deal.  If you lose your phone or it’s dead or whatever, you won’t have access to your documents. It’s not always working on the port computers to use the App or the QR code. They asked us every time to see original passport, original vax card and our negative covid test.  When we walk up, they can see our basic dats from the Ocean medallion, but they ask to see the documents too.  It’s easy just to put them together with your passport, and only took 2 mins to look at docs and done.  

You don’t say where you’re leaving from, as sometimes it’s a little different.  

What documents do I need to bring with me in order to sail?

It’s important to remember to bring all your documents so that there are no issues at embarkation and you’re able to sail.

For most voyages, guests simply upload their proof of vaccination into our MedallionClass app while getting OceanReady with no testing requirement. Guests must have received their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before the beginning of the cruise. Boosters are highly recommended for those eligible.

On voyages where self-testing is accepted, guests must upload a photo of their negative self-test while they are in the process of getting OceanReady. Guests should write their name and test date on a piece of paper, place the negative test on the paper, and take a photograph of this on a mobile device. Please be prepared to show the image, if required

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Princess will want to see your original passport, just like the airlines do for boarding an airplane. They also tell you in the first line of FAQ under what to bring with me to sail…

Here’s the deal.  If you lose your phone or it’s dead or whatever, you won’t have access to your documents. It’s not always working on the port computers to use the App or the QR code. They asked us every time to see original passport, original vax card and our negative covid test.  When we walk up, they can see our basic dats from the Ocean medallion, but they ask to see the documents too.  It’s easy just to put them together with your passport, and only took 2 mins to look at docs and done.  

You don’t say where you’re leaving from, as sometimes it’s a little different.  

What documents do I need to bring with me in order to sail?

It’s important to remember to bring all your documents so that there are no issues at embarkation and you’re able to sail.

For most voyages, guests simply upload their proof of vaccination into our MedallionClass app while getting OceanReady with no testing requirement. Guests must have received their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before the beginning of the cruise. Boosters are highly recommended for those eligible.

On voyages where self-testing is accepted, guests must upload a photo of their negative self-test while they are in the process of getting OceanReady. Guests should write their name and test date on a piece of paper, place the negative test on the paper, and take a photograph of this on a mobile device. Please be prepared to show the image, if required

Ok thank you for the clarification.  Leaving from Seattle. 

15 minutes ago, san diego spartan said:

Ok thank you for the clarification.  Leaving from Seattle. 

Sure.  Don’t forget to check the Princess website if you are visiting Canada. Exceptions for voyages that include Canada, like ArriveCAN, which you will fill out online and show your receipt.  

My quote from the PCL website was from the US, didn’t quote voyages including Canada.  So, recheck the website, if your going through there.

Don’t rely on social media or on here for these important immigration questions. 
Your travel agent could be a very helpful tool also.

Have a great trip.

Where are the arrival boarding groups now on the medallion app?  They have disappeared off my three bookings.  One cruise leaves in 51 days so I am watching to see when they open for selection, but the category no longer shows on the travel checklist 

On 9/13/2022 at 6:43 PM, BulldustHHH said:

Would I be correct in thinking this app won't install on older Android versions? It won't install on my Android 8.1 phone, but did on my wife's newer phone, and my tablet (android 12).

Android 8 is the minimum listed online. 8.1 should be fine.

image.png.656a30a8cdbba597c632f99271b53d3a.png

9 hours ago, mina said:

Where are the arrival boarding groups now on the medallion app?  They have disappeared off my three bookings.  One cruise leaves in 51 days so I am watching to see when they open for selection, but the category no longer shows on the travel checklist 

Medallion Class App

Travel checklist

Personal information and documents 

move down to Suggested…,

Arrivals

• Like 2

On 9/13/2022 at 11:51 PM, BulldustHHH said:

Real smart move on their part to ensure a fraction of the customer base cannot use an app Princess considers important ...

As a software developer myself I can say there can be huge differences in operating system versions. There comes a point where you just have to say “it’s 1980 calling and they want their 10 pound brick back”

Edited by PalmHarborCruiser

45 minutes ago, PalmHarborCruiser said:

As a software developer myself I can say there can be huge differences in operating system versions. There comes a point where you just have to say “it’s 1980 calling and they want their 10 pound brick back”

The main problem is that software developers are given the latest, fastest computers and write to that specification. In the Android development system, you choose which minimum level to support. The highly rated Carnival app runs on older phones. The poorly rated Princess one does not. It is clear that the kids who wrote the app have never been on a cruise and are used to new phones. They also could use lessons in screen layout as most of the space is wasted. Some debugging experience would have been useful as well.

• Like 2

Sigh. Back again

No,prob with setting up app,for last 2 cruises

I deleted it thinking we wouldn't be cruising for a while and then of course we changed our minds

Downloaded it again today

I was happy to find it knew us and had our pictures etc

Now it won't let me finish writing our mailing address for the medallion

It either says Not Valid City when I put in San Diego.  OR it just won't scroll down to,let me put in the state and finish the address

Also I uploaded my husband's vax card but for mine it just boots me out of the app altogether

Any thoughts?

2 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Sigh. Back again

No,prob with setting up app,for last 2 cruises

I deleted it thinking we wouldn't be cruising for a while and then of course we changed our minds

Downloaded it again today

I was happy to find it knew us and had our pictures etc

Now it won't let me finish writing our mailing address for the medallion

It either says Not Valid City when I put in San Diego.  OR it just won't scroll down to,let me put in the state and finish the address

Also I uploaded my husband's vax card but for mine it just boots me out of the app altogether

Any thoughts?

Is everything correct on the website for your address and phone number?

I would go through both profiles on yiur accounts on the website. Then clear your history and cache.

Sign out of the App and back in.

1 account at a time, go to personal information and check each detail, 

make sure you have the phone number with the country code, US is +1  then the area code and number.

Then the Address, etc. Make sure all that

is correct. Sign out and then do the same for the other person.

You can call and talk to the Medallion App team also on the regular phone, there’s an option. They may need to correct something for you or enter it for you.

On board observations. Prepare to reinstall a few times but still get irregular functioning. Biggest problems have to do with loading the maps of the ship , dinner res ability and just getting into the app itself. Account info always seemed available one I got into the app.  Setup tagalong bet never see it and my gf did too and I really wanted her bday in the screen. 

Ordered food to the room and didn't get one dessert n got no notification that it was on its way even with the screen open all the time. Also chat is useless unless u actually go in and look for a reply

Edited by luckyinpa

2 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

On board observations. Prepare to reinstall a few times but still get irregular functioning. Biggest problems have to do with loading the maps of the ship , dinner res ability and just getting into the app itself. Account info always seemed available one I got into the app.  Setup tagalong bet never see it and my gf did too and I really wanted her bday in the screen. 

You don’t even need a tagalong to see your bday on the screen.  Just her birthday on her account shown on the website information  or App under celebrations.  It comes up on the actual day you put in to celebrate it when you walk by.  Balloons go up in the air. 

I spent some time trying to get t h e screen to scroll down so I could finish putting in the mailing address

It took a while and lots of swipes up and down but I final l y got it done!

T h en  a question came up about how I was enjoying the app experience!

Really funny!!!

We're back to green now so not  worrying about any of it

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 5:36 PM, NownZen said:

The main problem is that software developers are given the latest, fastest computers and write to that specification. In the Android development system, you choose which minimum level to support. The highly rated Carnival app runs on older phones. The poorly rated Princess one does not. It is clear that the kids who wrote the app have never been on a cruise and are used to new phones. They also could use lessons in screen layout as most of the space is wasted. Some debugging experience would have been useful as well.

I’m not saying the app is well written or not, only that there comes a time when you stop supporting a 5 year old android operating system. Android 8 was end of life in June. Meaning Google themselves no longer support it. The app runs in 8.1.

5 hours ago, PalmHarborCruiser said:

I’m not saying the app is well written or not, only that there comes a time when you stop supporting a 5 year old android operating system. Android 8 was end of life in June. Meaning Google themselves no longer support it. The app runs in 8.1.

Five year old is new. I regularly run 20 year old software on my pc. There is no reason to artificially cripple software because kids do not understand that the hardware is fine for many years. I have a tablet that is only used on cruises. It supports firefox and chrome just fine. But the kids decided that it should not run the mc app. That was stupid. All they had to do was to check the box for an earlier version of android and it would have been fine. The software can support older versions with no problem, it is just that the kids are not experienced in the real world. The Carnival programmers made the correct choice to support the older versions. Are they stupid or are the Princess programmers being stupid?

I am a software developer and you need to decide what special features you need that require a newer version of the software. There are none in the app so the artificial choice to eliminate much of the Android universe is very stupid.  I have no sympathy for incompetence.

• Like 1

Here we go again...

Just finished one cruise and now preparing for our December cruise. Right off the bat, the app is giving me issues but this time, in a new area (for me). I'm trying to order the medallion, since you need this to get into the green lane. Being in Canada, I obviously can't have it shipped (thank, Princess) but the "pick up at port" option says it's unavailable. So...what do I do? Is it because we are sailing from Galveston and it's a new port? Anyone else have this issue?

55 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Here we go again...

Just finished one cruise and now preparing for our December cruise. Right off the bat, the app is giving me issues but this time, in a new area (for me). I'm trying to order the medallion, since you need this to get into the green lane. Being in Canada, I obviously can't have it shipped (thank, Princess) but the "pick up at port" option says it's unavailable. So...what do I do? Is it because we are sailing from Galveston and it's a new port? Anyone else have this issue?

Interesting.  New one I think.

Are you flying down at least the day prior (I am thinking you are).  Try shipping to your pre-cruise hotel address (you can always change it back).  Most hotels will accept at least small packages for incoming guests and hold for your arrival.  They might have it for a week or so before you get there, but you can call and ask them.  It is a way to get to the Green Lane.  If it never makes the hotel, they still have them at the pier.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 5:50 PM, luckyinpa said:

Ordered food to the room and didn't get one dessert n got no notification that it was on its way even with the screen open all the time. Also chat is useless unless u actually go in and look for a reply

The reinstall the app is the Dogbert school of customer support.  The issue is communication with the server which is a Princess issue.  The issue with the app is that it is badly done. I think they should have gone big and hired a couple of 16 year olds to program it rather than the 12 year olds they used.

• Haha 3