Is there a poolside movie screen on the Noordam?

Sailnsurf

Thanks Nancy. We share your love for the Noordam. We did a Norwegian cruise on the Nieuw Statendam ( a beautiful ship) but felt driven away from the front pool area by the noise of documentaries or promotions on the movie screen. All in all it has made us realise that for us we need to stay with the smaller ships.

• Like 1

@SailnsurfI am in total agreement with you on the ship size and noise level issue!  I haven't sailed on either of the HAL Pinnacle Class ships but just the experience of being docked in ports next to big ships with movie screens blaring all day confirmed that they are not for me!  Happy cruising....

~Nancy

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sailnsurf said:

Thanks Nancy. We share your love for the Noordam. We did a Norwegian cruise on the Nieuw Statendam ( a beautiful ship) but felt driven away from the front pool area by the noise of documentaries or promotions on the movie screen. All in all it has made us realise that for us we need to stay with the smaller ships.

Norwegian cruise is one of those cruises which I really want to start doing. I keep on monitoring the prices and deals but I havent chosen the most optimal one yet. I will defenitly catch a good deal soon though 

When I sailed on the K-dam with the outdoor movie screen they only played movies, for a single run, in the evenings and it was a pleasant activity.  It was not all day like I have seen on other cruise lines

• Like 1

Well Mary229 if that was after our NS cruise in 2019 that may indicate that HAL has listened to those critical of the NS experience ( and in fairness some must have enjoyed it). Funnily enough I do not recall noise when in Port when most were off the ship. 

To Roger 88 persevere it is well worth it. We did a b2b which enabled us to cover both the southern and northern areas including the North Cape. But I would have liked to do it on a smaller ship.

1 hour ago, Sailnsurf said:

Well Mary229 if that was after our NS cruise in 2019 that may indicate that HAL has listened to those critical of the NS experience ( and in fairness some must have enjoyed it). Funnily enough I do not recall noise when in Port when most were off the ship. 

To Roger 88 persevere it is well worth it. We did a b2b which enabled us to cover both the southern and northern areas including the North Cape. But I would have liked to do it on a smaller ship.

Mine was April 2019.  Most nights the movies were fairly late and actually were at a low volume.  I have been on other ships where the movie screen is on often during the day and is very loud.  

6 hours ago, Sailnsurf said:

We did a Norwegian cruise on the Nieuw Statendam ( a beautiful ship) but felt driven away from the front pool area by the noise of documentaries or promotions on the movie screen.

Promotions? They actually played promos on the big screen? How horrible. Big screens are worse than I ever imagined.

• Like 1

The evening movies on the Koningsdam we experienced were all old ones and PG rated (for obvious reasons).  Did not see anything during the day, but I may have just not been paying attention.

Princess seems to love to play movies and music videos etc pretty much non stop all day everyday at irritating (at least to me) volumes...

One would think with all the technology today they could somehow broadcast the sound to passengers phones so those who want to listen to all that "noise" could do so with headphones rather than force everyone to have to hear it....reminds me of going to the beach for some quiet 
R and R and some bozo shows up with a boom box blasting his/her favorite music forcing everyone on the beach to have to listen ......personally i find it annoying and rude.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dockman said:

Princess seems to love to play movies and music videos etc pretty much non stop all day everyday at irritating (at least to me) volumes...

One would think with all the technology today they could somehow broadcast the sound to passengers phones so those who want to listen to all that "noise" could do so with headphones rather than force everyone to have to hear it....reminds me of going to the beach for some quiet 
R and R and some bozo shows up with a boom box blasting his/her favorite music forcing everyone on the beach to have to listen ......personally i find it annoying and rude.

Ditto.  It was a princess ship where I had the same experience, worse it was an Alaskan cruise. It just seem out of place on a cruise where people are hoping to enjoy the great outdoors 

• Like 2

My experience of poolside big screen is only on Koningsdam and that was fully acceptable.  During the day some clips from BBC Earth were occasionally  shown and there was NO accompanying sound.  In the evenings a movie was shown at 2 specific times.     Sound levels were very acceptable even with the dome shut.   Pool chairs were turned to face the screen and blankets laid out for 'snuggles'.  

Both of the Pinnacle-class ships I have sailed had both promos or just moving patterns playing on the giant screen with the sound turned very low.  I watched the premiere of the original Wonder Woman the same week it was released in the US.  FWIW the popcorn is either located on the first towel cabinet on the port side or at the Gelato station.

While seated on my aft balcony, the following Princess ship in the parallel Panama Canal lane panned their camera on my balcony for a few seconds and I could see myself on their giant TV screen:

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/panama-canal-gatun-locks-eastbound/pc050144-2.jpg

• Like 1

We spent 65 days on the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam fall of 2019.  Many evenings we enjoyed a movie under the stars, sometimes having pizza and beers in the loungers.  We found the movies to be fairly recent releases, rated anywhere from G to R.  The only problem we had was the first few times the sound was so low we couldn't hear any dialog if someone was splashing in the pool.  I guess someone complained because before long it was better.

11 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

We spent 65 days on the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam fall of 2019.  Many evenings we enjoyed a movie under the stars, sometimes having pizza and beers in the loungers.  We found the movies to be fairly recent releases, rated anywhere from G to R.  The only problem we had was the first few times the sound was so low we couldn't hear any dialog if someone was splashing in the pool.  I guess someone complained because before long it was better.

all the more reason to broadcast the sound to phones so those interested can listen with headphones at whatever volume they lik

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dockman said:

all the more reason to broadcast the sound to phones so those interested can listen with headphones at whatever volume they lik

Totally agree!  We would have been all for that.  There are some who don't bring phones though, so not sure how it would go over with everyone.

If my experience was the norm all of the movies they showed on the big screen could be seen on the interactive TV in your room.  We just went for the popcorn because HAL has a thing about popcorn and you can only get it at the public viewings of the movie

36 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

If my experience was the norm all of the movies they showed on the big screen could be seen on the interactive TV in your room.  We just went for the popcorn because HAL has a thing about popcorn and you can only get it at the public viewings of the movie

Amen on the popcorn.  Haven't tried yet but was told you can order popcorn in the evening from Room Service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Totally agree!  We would have been all for that.  There are some who don't bring phones though, so not sure how it would go over with everyone.

Hand out the freebies  earphones for those that need  like airlines do?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dockman said:

That would be wonderful but I wonder if people would use headphones.  I'm mortified when my phone suddenly belches out noise randomly from a post on facebook etc but I rarely see anyone react that way.  I've been in doctors office etc and people have sound on their cell blaring away at top volume.  Super irritating.

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

Amen on the popcorn.  Haven't tried yet but was told you can order popcorn in the evening from Room Service.

that would be a great thing.  Popcorn is my favorite snack.  

5 hours ago, dockman said:

The Viking Ocean ships give you a quietvox system in the cabin for each passenger to use on their included shore excursions, and that's also how you listen to audio for the nightly movie showing on the pool screen.  No noise from the movie, and the earbuds sort of cancel out any pool noise, you control your own volume, etc. It's nice.

Obviously HAL isn't going to give out vox systems, but clearly the technology is there. Seems like something they could add to the Navigator app and, as you suggest, beam to the phone?  

• Like 2