Edge..shorts in the dining room

pugsammy

You know the dress code in advance.  It's the height of arrogance and rudeness to force the issue on the staff who are there to uphold the stated rules.  Whether they catch everyone or not is no concern of mine, but to put them in that position in the first place is the real issue.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Celebrity's dress code says:

"

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress
  • Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater
  • Optional sport coat or blazer

That at least implies that men should not feel comfortable wearing a cocktail dress or skirt. I also a not sure why women can wear something that shows off their legs but men can't. It goes on to say that "tank tops" and "flip flops" are prohibited. But there are plenty of women's tops and shoes that are permitted that could be considered "tank tops" or "flip flops" that are dressy enough to be permitted. But men aren't granted the same leniency. 

I read that on the website and thought that language appeared to be more "suggestions" and not required dress because what happens if a man doesn't feel comfortable wearing pants?  What exactly IS an ELEGANT top? There is way too much ambiguity in these dress codes.

You're on vacation, you shouldn't have to worry about what the person in front of you is wearing unless it impacts you (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) in a negative way.  If you insist on worrying, worry about yourself and allow others to do the same.  

And PLEASE don't wear colognes and perfumes around other people.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

You know the dress code in advance.  It's the height of arrogance and rudeness to force the issue on the staff who are there to uphold the stated rules.  Whether they catch everyone or not is no concern of mine, but to put them in that position in the first place is the real issue.

I am having a what would Dolly say moment!  Many years ago she had a big hit, "Why Did You Come In Here Looking Like That"  in the video was Billy Ray Cyrus, tight tight jeans, muscle shirt...Dolly was very excited

• Like 1

I find it curious that someone thinks asking us not to wear shorts at dinner is putting us into a box. When we go on a tour of a religious site, we are asked to not wear shorts and so on. And we all comply. we comply with dress codes of other societies, but see our own minor rules as unacceptable. Got it. 

Dress codes are so minimal, it’s almost silly to discuss. Each of us will decide for ourselves what reflects ‘us’. And rules don’t really help much in setting an atmosphere.

An example: spent a week in Munich after a river cruise and took a tour of Dachau. A concentration camp where 30k+ were killed. It wasn’t a Death Camp but a Concentration Camp where the ***’s worked out efficient methods of killing millions in the Death Camps. A woman on the tour wore a Mickey Mouse jacket…….yup. Now you can tell me I’m being a geezer or judgmental of others, but standing there looking at the many methods the ***’s used to destroy humanity was, shall we say, I was a bit distracted with that outfit.  Dress Codes set some minimal standard, but can’t set what is appropriate.

And breaking some minor dress code in some ways is not a ‘I’ll wear what I want on vacation’, many times, it is ‘look at me!’. On a Carnival cruise for the formal night, two men (always us!) came in and sat with us wearing cowboy outfits: jeans, big buckles and cowboy hats they left on through dinner. Up to them. But I noted that they spent a great deal of time looking around to see who was looking at them or glaring at them or whispering about them……so no, I didn’t see that as them be individuals but ‘look at me!’. 

When Coat and Tie was the rule, it was post after post about ‘I wear a C&T at work and won’t on vacation’. Which, to me, meant, I’ll wear a C&T when I’m paid but not when my wife asks me or would enjoy us dressing up…..got it. 

Den

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I find it curious that someone thinks asking us not to wear shorts at dinner is putting us into a box. When we go on a tour of a religious site, we are asked to not wear shorts and so on. And we all comply. we comply with dress codes of other societies, but see our own minor rules as unacceptable. Got it. 

Dress codes are so minimal, it’s almost silly to discuss. Each of us will decide for ourselves what reflects ‘us’. And rules don’t really help much in setting an atmosphere.

An example: spent a week in Munich after a river cruise and took a tour of Dachau. A concentration camp where 30k+ were killed. It wasn’t a Death Camp but a Concentration Camp where the ***’s worked out efficient methods of killing millions in the Death Camps. A woman on the tour wore a Mickey Mouse jacket…….yup. Now you can tell me I’m being a geezer or judgmental of others, but standing there looking at the many methods the ***’s used to destroy humanity was, shall we say, I was a bit distracted with that outfit.  Dress Codes set some minimal standard, but can’t set what is appropriate.

And breaking some minor dress code in some ways is not a ‘I’ll wear what I want on vacation’, many times, it is ‘look at me!’. On a Carnival cruise for the formal night, two men (always us!) came in and sat with us wearing cowboy outfits: jeans, big buckles and cowboy hats they left on through dinner. Up to them. But I noted that they spent a great deal of time looking around to see who was looking at them or glaring at them or whispering about them……so no, I didn’t see that as them be individuals but ‘look at me!’. 

When Coat and Tie was the rule, it was post after post about ‘I wear a C&T at work and won’t on vacation’. Which, to me, meant, I’ll wear a C&T when I’m paid but not when my wife asks me or would enjoy us dressing up…..got it. 

Den

A woman on the tour wore a Mickey Mouse jacket…….yup. Now you can tell me I’m being a geezer or judgmental of others,  Den, what that woman did was UTTER disrespect, I am sorry though, but you just cannot even compare this to shorts in the MDR.  I would not wear shorts to the MDR etc, but does not bother me in the least if others do. Interesting how a woman's legs being exposed v a mans draw the ire of so many

28 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

You are having a judgmental moment. I doubt very much that woman meant any offense when she chose her outfit. I've been to some "serious" sites and outside of being culturally sensitive (ie, not showing bare shoulders in Muslim countries or having legs covered in a church); I haven't spent much of my time preparing for the day on vacation by trying to figure out if my outfit is in line with the "seriousness" of the site. I went to Hiroshima a couple years ago and couldn't even begin to guess at what my outfit for the day was. 

Actually, I take that back. I probably wore a t-shirt I got at a race (5K, half marathon, something like that). I wear alot of those on vacation because they tend to be out of good materials to wash in sinks and hang out to dry mid trip. Is a race t-shirt ok for a site where a bunch of people died? I mean, really. Come on now. People on vacation wear what they brought. They don't sit down and pack for on a single day needing a "serious outfit". 

Edited by sanger727

No, I wasn’t comparing wearing a Mickey Mouse jacket to Dacha and wearing shorts to dinner, I was referring to how dress codes don’t help in many cases, we just have to think through on our own.  

And judgmental? No. I’m sure the woman meant any offense, but thats not the point. But I’ll correct myself; it was judging, but I wasn’t angry at her, just embarrassed that in So Many Cases, we Americans (well, from the US), just can’t think through a bit more. And I understand not knowing what would be ‘appropriate’ to wear to Hiroshima, but I bet a Mickey Mouse or any other similar clothing didn’t enter the poster’s mind.  And that was the point of my posting. 

Den

We are in our 80’s and have cruised for almost  50 years. Dress habits have continuously change. 
 However, when we dine in a fine restaurant, we always change from our daytime play clothes. The atmosphere is almost as important as the meal. We were out to dinner in a lovely restaurant Saturday evening. Some folk’s outfits were simply outlandish but interesting. But all were appropriate for dinner in a fine restaurant. 
I regard attire for evening dining on a ship the same as dining in a fine restaurant. Sorry if some of you disagree. 
sheila

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

….Interesting how a woman's legs being exposed v a mans draw the ire of so many

LGW59, you Know it isn’t women who wear shorts to dinner, its us men…..well, man/boys who do so.  

Den

This whole discussion about “dress code” – as well as the many others that came before – represents a mindset, an attitude.

Attitude #1 – I’m on vacation to relax and have fun being carefree and comfortable. In doing so, I will abide by the requests asked of me while attempting not to infringe upon Celebrity or my fellow guests.

Attitude #2 – I’m on vacation to relax and have fun being carefree and comfortable. No one determines my actions and as long as it suits my needs and desires I will do whatever I want, whenever I want, wherever it is.

Don’t even notice those who subscribe to attitude #1. That’s reflective of an innate ability to appreciate other folks, perhaps with compromise on occasion. Fortunately, majority rules here.

Subscribers to attitude #2 can be glaringly noticeable. That’s reflective of an inability to appreciate anything or anyone. Many are probably not even aware of their words or deeds. Just comes natural. Fortunately, minority rules here.

I am not personally offended by #2’ers. I am offended by their inconsiderate actions toward the entire cruising process that includes X, the ship, you and me. And, I have no problem being judgmental.

A side note. All our cruises have been very enjoyable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

LGW59, you Know it isn’t women who wear shorts to dinner, its us men…..well, man/boys who do so.  

Den

I remember a very long thread several years ago on the Royal board. The seemingly innocent question was whether "dressy shorts", which were very popular for women at the time, usually near knee length and frequently worn with a satiny top and a short sleeve satiny jacket, would be appropriate in the MDR. I think Beyonce popularized the look, and wore it to some awards shows. It became the dressy jean/designer jean on the X boards discussion. It devolved rapidly...

Of course, the same woman could have worn a micro-mini to the MDR and been completely in line with the dress code.

And no, I've never worn shorts to any dining room on any ship, other than maybe embarkation lunch at Luminae. Probably all those years in uniform looking at what was required for this event or that event. And I didn't grow out the retirement beard or pony tail either, largely because I don't want to see that much gray on my face, nor have the only hair on my head be in a pony tail! 😃

• Like 3

We spend zero time bothering about what other people wear.    Hardly any point to it.  

We have no control over what others wear so why go on and on about it?  Or regaling others  with what you saw someone wearing on your cruise three years ago. Do people expect others to change based on CC comments?  

We mind our own business...don't spend any time minding other people's business or indeed judging them.

The cruise line staff make the decisions  about apparel.  Not the customers.  Our focus is on enjoying ourselves.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 5

54 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

No, I wasn’t comparing wearing a Mickey Mouse jacket to Dacha and wearing shorts to dinner, I was referring to how dress codes don’t help in many cases, we just have to think through on our own.  

And judgmental? No. I’m sure the woman meant any offense, but thats not the point. But I’ll correct myself; it was judging, but I wasn’t angry at her, just embarrassed that in So Many Cases, we Americans (well, from the US), just can’t think through a bit more. And I understand not knowing what would be ‘appropriate’ to wear to Hiroshima, but I bet a Mickey Mouse or any other similar clothing didn’t enter the poster’s mind.  And that was the point of my posting. 

Den

I'm going to guess she was on a tour of Munich in general, and may have had no idea what Dachau was until the tour arrived. Which isn't a statement so much on dress as on teaching history. Many of the tours you book with hotels in the area make a lot of stops, and include Dachau.

When we were stationed in Germany, years ago, we kind of went German. I spoke enough Bayerisch to get by, refused to wear any form of white tennis shoes, ever (the universal "I am an American" badge), and in my last year and a half or so would get asked directions, in German, by Germans. Couldn't always follow the pace of what they were saying, and it was almost always in a tourist area we were also visiting!

I am surprised that some of these busybodies have time to enjoy their cruise or their dining when they are so busy noticing and caring what others may be wearing.   

It seems to me that some are actually looking at ways of being offended.

Would it not be better to enjoy your cruise to the fullest?  When we think back to some to the wonderful times that we have enjoyed on cruises how others cruisers did not did not dress in the manner that might have did not make it into our memory bank.  Not even close.

• Like 1

Lol, I feel there is a large social divide, why these threads will never stop.

Times are changing.  Squeezing into an ill-fitting $100 "tux" isn't seen as anything special anymore.  Sportcoats are like $50.  The social purpose of dress clothes to form a social hierarchy is changing because textile manufacturing has revolutionized in the last hundred years.

The discriminator between nice clothes and not-so nice clothes is no longer the category they fit in, but more the brand and "fit" of the clothes.

Accept that times have left you behind, and just enjoy your own life.

More to the original question: Shorts had a brief stint of popularity like a decade ago, but I don't think the current trend is going for shorts.  I think it will be a while for shorts to have a chance again at percolating into acceptable "chic" wear.

Edited by UnorigionalName

7 hours ago, BostonBud said:

So what’s the basic reason for the dress code?  ... To instill gender norms? 

I don't believe so. I think it's to install a sense of occasion. In the same way it would be against norms to attend a wedding in a jeans and T-Shirt.

On Cunard* where formal dress  is enforced fiercely,  I love seeing military (serving and retired, from many nations) having the opportunity to wear their dress uniforms and proudly sporting their medals. Being able to thank and acknowledge people for their service is amazing. 

On a purely personal level, it is one of the rare occasions I get to wear my awards (UK obviously) issued for services to Gender Equality and the LGBT community and to engage with people about that subject.

I perfectly understand it's not for everyone, we all have a choice of how we wish to travel, but I'm in no way a believer it's anything to do with installing gender norms.

And I admit the sight of an attractive Scott in his kilt, does make my heart beat a little faster.

*I reference Cunard as they are at the extreme end of Dress Code.

Edited by Nick&Simon
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, springfire said:

Glad you saw Celebrity enforce the dressing code, but we consistently see people wearing shorts, t-shirts, flip flops and more.

I have not seen that on Celebrity. I have seen people with shorts turned away. I don't care though if people are wearing shorts. 

• Like 2

NCL permits shorts in the MDR and most of the specialty restaurants (with a couple of exceptions). They don't have any strict formal nights, but they have a "dress up or not" night for people that like to get dressed up and get the photos. When we first started sailing with NCL, I seem to remember someone saying that one of the two MDRs was more for folks that liked to dress up a bit more and have a traditional cruise dining experience. I don't know if that's still the case as we tend to dine in the casual dining room or buffet for dinner.

• Haha 1

I’ve seen Luminae turn away guests in shorts.

The general dress code for accessing restaurants is specifically stated I believe, and then for “evening chic” nights the differences are noted through the daily planner - a throwback from days gone by I suppose. I personally enjoy an opportunity to wear extra sparkles - but I like to do that most evenings so don’t need a set one to feel I can.

As for what others wear it never really crosses my mind 🙂

• Thanks 1