Edge..shorts in the dining room

pugsammy

50 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm way beyond arguing the point of dress codes. Not sure if I feel it is "disrespectful", but to answer your last questions, why shouldn't aesthetics matter?  

• Would you rather look at a lovely painting or a cracked and grease-spattered wall?
  • Would you appreciate a gourmet dish more if it was carefully composed on a lovely porcelain plate or if it was just tossed onto a paper plate?
  • If the hotel manager asked you whether you would prefer a view of the ocean or a view of the dumpster, which would you choose?

If these are allowed to matter to us, then why shouldn't seeing someone who is not well dressed or well groomed matter?  I can eat and converse and still have opportunities to look around the dining room -- otherwise, why do they decorate it so nicely?

Some cultures are brought up to be much more in tune with aesthetics. I think the saying that "You eat first with your eyes" originated in China.

And yet for some reason we are supposed to pretend that the appearance of others doesn't matter or makes no difference. It's a bit of a disconnect for me.

You sound like you’re into people watching. Maybe it’s best some people do wear shorts in the dining room, for if not, what would you have to talk about?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

If the dress code is in place, follow it..it shows respect…this is not that hard..

Agreed! Even further, I have always thought the rule should be, follow the venue's suggested code even if it is not a rule. If I ever become famous enough to wear a track suit to Picasso in the Bellagio (ahem...MJ), then maybe I will decide these things as if others' wishes don't matter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dress codes are not only outdated but sexist. We usually only do chartered cruises where only bare feet and swimwear are not allowed in the MDR and there never has been an issue. In fact allowing people to be more creative in their dress is more human than trying to put them into boxes invented by unnamed individuals from a time long gone.

Someone wearing too much perfume or cologne (or any at all) is more offensive to me since 1) the odor makes me physically sick and 2) it ruins the dining experience because it permeates the culinary aromas of the dishes yet Celebrity doesn’t ban that. 

don’t even get me started on the post trying to equate someone pretending to be a different gender just to eat in the dining room.  

We’re all born naked and the rest is drag - RuPaul

Edited by BostonBud
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, BostonBud said:

Dress codes are not only outdated but sexist. We usually only do chartered cruises where only bare feet and swimwear are not allowed in the MDR and there never has been an issue. In fact allowing people to be more creative in their dress is more human than trying to put them into boxes invented by unnamed individuals from a time long gone.

Someone wearing too much perfume or cologne (or any at all) is more offensive to me since 1) the odor makes me physically sick and 2) it ruins the dining experience because it permeates the culinary aromas of the dishes yet Celebrity doesn’t ban that. 

don’t even get me started on the post trying to equate someone pretending to be a different gender just to eat in the dining room.  

Several years ago, 10ish, I was at a Dolly Parton concert and in the front row there were maybe 6 or so Dolly drag queens having such a fun time.  Dolly was totally feeding off of their energy and it was so much fun, her banter was a hoot!  All of a sudden security showed up, mid-song to remove them.  Dolly stopped singing and asked what are you doing?  They said we had complaints about them disturbing the show so are asking them to leave.  Dolly being Dolly…yea well I’m the star of this show and whoever is complaining you should leave, these Dolly’s aren’t going anywhere.  She then invited one of them on stage with her to sing 9 to 5.  Moral of the story, live and let live, life is short, don’t sweat the small stuff.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Several years ago, 10ish, I was at a Dolly Parton concert and in the front row there were maybe 6 or so Dolly drag queens having such a fun time.  Dolly was totally feeding off of their energy and it was so much fun, her banter was a hoot!  All of a sudden security showed up, mid-song to remove them.  Dolly stopped singing and asked what are you doing?  They said we had complaints about them disturbing the show so are asking them to leave.  Dolly being Dolly…yea well I’m the star of this show and whoever is complaining you should leave, these Dolly’s aren’t going anywhere.  She then invited one of them on stage with her to sing 9 to 5.  Moral of the story, live and let live, life is short, don’t sweat the small stuff.

I've never seen Dolly live. I did grow up with "both kinds of music", as they say (country and western). But that story has me wanting to catch a show of hers while I can! The official shorts answer is not for dinner, and most people will accept that. If someone is dressed in shorts, and not doing anything to otherwise disturb my experience (I did have a cruise with a large family unit whose shorts were the least issue we all dealt with, and we'd already changed tables), I really don't care. As you say, it's small stuff. 

37 minutes ago, springfire said:

Wear what makes you feel good, after all, you are on vacation.  

Sure. Totally disregard the dress code. Because rules don't apply to you.

If wearing shorts to dinner is that important, why would anyone book a cruise that expressly asks you not to? Pick a cruise that does allow them, and avoid the nightly confrontation with the Maitre d'.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, markeb said:

I've never seen Dolly live. I did grow up with "both kinds of music", as they say (country and western). But that story has me wanting to catch a show of hers while I can! The official shorts answer is not for dinner, and most people will accept that. If someone is dressed in shorts, and not doing anything to otherwise disturb my experience (I did have a cruise with a large family unit whose shorts were the least issue we all dealt with, and we'd already changed tables), I really don't care. As you say, it's small stuff. 

October 2019, Dolly 50th Anniversary as a member of the Grand Ole Opry amazing concert from our national treasure.  They/we are dressed as come as and be who you are, me and my daughter had a blast.  Love to see Dolly’s reaction if someone told her to tone it down Lol 

DBDC6833-23D6-4896-846E-1317C288CB01.jpeg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mom says said:

If wearing shorts to dinner is that important, why would anyone book a cruise that expressly asks you not to? Pick a cruise that does allow them, and avoid the nightly confrontation with the Maitre d'.

Gotta run Leave it to Beaver is on soon, in this episode June is polishing her pearls.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mom says said:

We have seen all types of clothing being worn at dinner, including shorts, flip flops, t-shirts and baseball caps.  So many people have different reasons for how they dress, it really isn't my concern what others wear and it certainly doesn't bother me.  If Celebrity doesn't enforce the dress code in the dining room, so be it.  Like I said, you are on vacation, wear whatever makes you feel good.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Gotta run Leave it to Beaver is on soon, in this episode June is polishing her pearls.

Yeah. Luminae is NOT Le Bernardin. I don't wear shorts in the dining rooms on the ship at night, just because, but I will gladly pack dress slacks, real shoes, a real shirt, and a jacket for Eric Rippert...

Somewhere around the house I have a 1970's copy of the Army Officer's Guide which has a chapter or more devoted to various uniform and civilian clothes requirements for different terms on invitations. And a looooong chapter for officer's wives (it was wives, not spouses) dress, including white gloves and hats. I don't think it included pearls, but it could have. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BostonBud said:

I travel Cunard mainly, where dress codes are not only adhered to but form part of the overall experience. The cruise line attracts a healthy number of travellers who do not dress according to their gender either fully or for part of the day (mainly men who opt to dress and be treated as woman for dinner). No one seems to care, everyone appears happy. The staff respect their choice (Mr Smith at lunch is Mrs Smith at dinner) and the Gentleman Hosts happily dance away with Mrs Smith. But they do stick to the dress code, that's the important thing.

But I wholeheartedly get your point about cologne. I don't want to taste other peoples scents. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, springfire said:

Wear what makes you feel good, after all, you are on vacation.  

Celebrity has a dress code and has been known to enforce it, many many people have been refused entry into their dining rooms.  It is definitely a rule when you are refused entry. Your argument is just as invalid now as it was 25 years ago when I first heard it on this board.

2 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Celebrity has a dress code and has been known to enforce it, many many people have been refused entry into their dining rooms.  It is definitely a rule when you are refused entry. Your argument is just as invalid now as it was 25 years ago when I first heard it on this board.

Your argument would have been valid 25 years ago but not so much today.  Celebrity rarely enforces their own dress code anymore, especially on Caribbean cruises.   Times have changed, the dress code has become much more relaxed over the years.

Again, wear what makes you feel good, you are on vacation.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dkjretired said:

So 25 years huh?  So what’s the basic reason for the dress code?  I don’t believe it’s a sanitary/health reason which would be paramount.  It doesn’t affect the food. I’m trying to understand the main reason for them.  To instill gender norms? Women are can now wear slacks. When and why was it changed to allow that change?

• Like 1

My comment about the man wearing the Bermuda shorts with all the other proper attire was how his group reacted when he showed up - laughter, fun.  It did seem appropriate for the location.  But Celebrity could not allow it and it held up the group entering the MDR on time and it put a damper on it all.  I have seen many people in the MDR wearing things I would not wear out of the home.  I do agree with others that proper dress to dinner is a nice thing to do.  It was great people watching except for the end.

Cannot wait until we can again sail to Bermuda(May 2022).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

And you’ll be the one who doesn’t wear the mask either I suppose.

Nope!  Always used my mask before we were fully vaccinated.   

Just to be clear,  we have mostly followed the dress guidelines.  Have never worn a tshirt or shorts at dinner, I have worn flip flops once or twice in the Caribbean.  

My point here is Celebrity rarely enforces the dressing code.  My vacation isn't ruined by you following the dress code or not.   So dress as you see fit, after all,  you are on vacation. 

• Like 2

This whole dress up “shaming” went out the window for me about 5 or 6 years ago.  This was on a Royal cruise, if memory serves.  But, I was waiting to be seated in one of the MDRs at our assigned time on one of the “formal” nights. 

There was a line and a lady in front of me kept mumbling (loud enough so we could hear) about how my GF and I were dressed.  My GF was wearing a very pretty top and some nice pants.  Her top was a tad low, as I had just bought her a nice necklace during the cruise that she wanted to display on her neck.  I had on a pair of khakis and a polo shirt.  We’re we formal?  Nope, not by a long shot.  But, we were within the guidelines.

The mumbling lady was in a sequenced dress and reeking of too much perfume and pancaked makeup with bright red lips. The husband/boyfriend/companion was in a tux that was at least a size or two too small where the pants clasp was begging for mercy keeping his “gut” in check.  I’m assuming he had stock in “Armamis” as their “scents” melded into a nose insulting blend.  They looked like circus performers.  She was being dismissive and insulting to us as being “too crass” to cruise.  

My GF was shocked (and a little hurt).  I was just POd.  While we were waiting, a photographer came by and asked if we would like a picture taken.  We did.  He finished up and asked the couple behind us if they wanted a picture taken.  She said she would but only if WE weren’t in the background as we would ruin her picture.  So, we were little more than background for her picture.

I was livid.  My GF calmed me down and restrained me from launching a verbal barrage.

From that point forward, I decided I don’t care what anyone else wears (not that I ever did).  It has no bearing on their upbringing, the alleged amount of “class” they had, or their alleged status or stature in life.  

To this day, we still dress the same way for dress up night and steer clear of those in “formal” wear for probably the sins of that one couple.

• Like 4

Shorts, flip flops, t-shirts in the MDR for dinner. Jock straps on hirsute men in the pool and jacuzzi. Bra straps proudly displayed as if advertising the latest styles and colors. Crotch fitting cut-off jean shorts leaving nothing to the imagination. Yep, that's what it's all about now, isn't it? And yes, each of these scenarios falls into the same category, a total lack of respect for oneself and for others.

In certain situations and environments these are offensive. Even more, it's sadly humorous to see just how many people don't give a darn about how they look and make a special effort not to look good. And by the way, dressing for the occasion is not conforming. It is being respectful of what is requested of you.

I'm packing my briefest European Speedo for the next cruise. See you in the jacuzzi. Hope it's crowded. 

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2