Edge..shorts in the dining room

pugsammy

People who justify wearing whatever they want because Celebrity doesn’t enforce the dress code are either the ones also happy to totally disregard the pool chair rules--or the ones to complain about it the loudest. Either way, me me me and only me.

• Like 3

Another thread on the dress code.  Same discussion as the last 100 threads on the dress code.  Celebrity has one.  If you feel that this is outdated- or just not for you, there is no judgment or comment here on your choices.  For me, I would just spend my money that gives me the type of trip that makes me most comfortable and happy.  Nobody is locked into Celebrity or any other line.  Lots of choices.  But if you make a choice, whatever it is - Their Ship, Their Rules.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I do like to be moderately dressed in Luminae or MDR, I have though always wondered why folks it feels it is disrespectful to them.  Are you spending your dinner time watching them or are you eating and conversing?.  Really, how does it have an impact your dinner with your SO or other diners?

l - does this modestly or minimally??? LOL

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm way beyond arguing the point of dress codes. Not sure if I feel it is "disrespectful", but to answer your last questions, why shouldn't aesthetics matter?  

• Would you rather look at a lovely painting or a cracked and grease-spattered wall?
  • Would you appreciate a gourmet dish more if it was carefully composed on a lovely porcelain plate or if it was just tossed onto a paper plate?
  • If the hotel manager asked you whether you would prefer a view of the ocean or a view of the dumpster, which would you choose?

If these are allowed to matter to us, then why shouldn't seeing someone who is not well dressed or well groomed matter?  I can eat and converse and still have opportunities to look around the dining room -- otherwise, why do they decorate it so nicely?

Some cultures are brought up to be much more in tune with aesthetics. I think the saying that "You eat first with your eyes" originated in China.

And yet for some reason we are supposed to pretend that the appearance of others doesn't matter or makes no difference. It's a bit of a disconnect for me.

Nowhere in the dress code does it require you to be well-groomed. You can show up in a dress that is ill fitting, too short, torn, stained, etc with horrible hair and makeup and be allowed in. Or you can be in a pair of Bermuda shorts and a sports jacket and turned away. I don't mind having an atmosphere of people looking "nice'"; but to expect that to be accomplished with a narrowly defined dress code is silly.  I'm personally much more put off at dinner by someone who smells bad (BO, cigarettes, overbearing perfume) than someone who isn't well dressed. But there's no attempt to create rules around that. Or someone who is openly disrespectful, drunk, loud, and disruptive. But again, as long as you have "long pants" on while you do it, it's allowed. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Agreed! Even further, I have always thought the rule should be, follow the venue's suggested code even if it is not a rule. If I ever become famous enough to wear a track suit to Picasso in the Bellagio (ahem...MJ), then maybe I will decide these things as if others' wishes don't matter. 

m you are famous, at least around these parts, so go for it at Picasso....

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Haha 1

my wife and i follow the dress code out of respect for the cruise line, ourselves and our fellow passengers. My father was an entertainer and mother was a model and they taught me to dress "nicely" when i was out in public....Once again something about respect...It seems that narcissism has now taken over, but we will continue to show respect..just sayin'

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Shorts, flip flops, t-shirts in the MDR for dinner. Jock straps on hirsute men in the pool and jacuzzi. Bra straps proudly displayed as if advertising the latest styles and colors. Crotch fitting cut-off jean shorts leaving nothing to the imagination. Yep, that's what it's all about now, isn't it? And yes, each of these scenarios falls into the same category, a total lack of respect for oneself and for others.

In certain situations and environments these are offensive. Even more, it's sadly humorous to see just how many people don't give a darn about how they look and make a special effort not to look good. And by the way, dressing for the occasion is not conforming. It is being respectful of what is requested of you.

I'm packing my briefest European Speedo for the next cruise. See you in the jacuzzi. Hope it's crowded. 

I’m definitely not referring to the poster of the above comment.  The 2nd paragraph

“In certain situations and environments these are offensive. Even more, it's sadly humorous to see just how many people don't give a darn about how they look and make a special effort not to look good. And by the way, dressing for the occasion is not conforming. It is being respectful of what is requested of you”

reminds me that old adage (and I may be paraphrasing):

You can put lipstick on a pig but it’s still a pig

Who is to say what “proper” dress is.  If it’s not for a sanitary or health reason (like wearing masks) why is it even there?

The truth of the matter is worry about your own dress, not other.  No matter how dressed up you get there’s going to be someone who is going to have an issue with something you’re wearing or not wearing but that’s their problem.  As long as you feel good and are enjoying yourself (and not putting anyone else in harms way) MYOB.

And don’t get the impression that just because I’m advocating for not conforming to the strict dress code means I’m always in a tank top, speedo and flip flops for dinner (actually, I have never done any of those things but have no problem with someone else at a different table doing that if they feel the need to.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Another thread on the dress code.  Same discussion as the last 100 threads on the dress code.  Celebrity has one.  If you feel that this is outdated- or just not for you, there is no judgment or comment here on your choices.  For me, I would just spend my money that gives me the type of trip that makes me most comfortable and happy.  Nobody is locked into Celebrity or any other line.  Lots of choices.  But if you make a choice, whatever it is - Their Ship, Their Rules.

AMEN!  Truth told, regardless of cruise line, I just don't care what others think. It's only when they become insulting that I have an issue.

That said, I have not cruised Celebrity in about 10 years.  And, I'm really looking forward to it.  The way we dress, or anyone else dresses for that matter, will affect our vacation one iota.

1 minute ago, mayleeman said:

Amen. (And thanks for the expertise in that other thread, BTW. I didn't see the notice in time for the chorus of farewells!)

Ha Ha!  LOL.  That "other" thread was well read but apparently not anywhere near as useful and appreciated as another thread on dress codes.  😀

• Haha 1

BostonBud said "Who is to say what “proper” dress is.  If it’s not for a sanitary or health reason (like wearing masks) why is it even there?

It's there because the establishment/proprietor wants it to be and wishes to reflect that ambiance/environment. What's "proper" to him is all that matters. Your thoughts or feelings don't matter....really! Patronize the establishment or don't. But don't insult the establishment by being inconsiderate and trying to enforce your ignorance and disrespect on someone else. 

Simple, really!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

BostonBud said "Who is to say what “proper” dress is.  If it’s not for a sanitary or health reason (like wearing masks) why is it even there?

It's there because the establishment/proprietor wants it to be and wishes to reflect that ambiance/environment. What's "proper" to him is all that matters. Your thoughts or feelings don't matter....really! Patronize the establishment or don't. But don't insult the establishment by being inconsiderate and trying to enforce your ignorance and disrespect on someone else. 

Simple, really!

Yes, you're right. It's much better to show up to the dining room in the way my stepfather does. Hair sticking straight up because he doesn't comb it, a button up shirt and khakis with holes and stains because he doesn't every replace his clothes. Pants falling down because he never replaces them and the elastic wears out. But, it's technically within the dress code. Sooooo much better than Bermuda shorts with dress shoes and a sports jacket. You simply cannot "rule" someone into looking good. I think that's the point the poster you quoted made. 

• Like 2

BostonBud said "And don’t get the impression that just because I’m advocating for not conforming to the strict dress code means I’m always in a tank top, speedo and flip flops for dinner (actually, I have never done any of those things but have no problem with someone else at a different table doing that if they feel the need to. " 

Celebrity's dress code is not strict, not at all. It's comfortable, easy and convenient. You'll see that when I pull up a chair next to you at dinner, decked out in my sweat pants and workout tank top. By the way, I would have made a table change in order to be your table mate. 
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, BostonBud said:

Dress codes are not only outdated but sexist. We usually only do chartered cruises where only bare feet and swimwear are not allowed in the MDR and there never has been an issue. In fact allowing people to be more creative in their dress is more human than trying to put them into boxes invented by unnamed individuals from a time long gone.

I get your take, I really do.  IMHO you shouldn't ever sail on a ship with dress codes if you have such issues...problem solved.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Probably the best "dress code" comment I've read in a while.  Kudos.  

• Like 7

I remember years ago on an RCI cruise I (man) wore a tank top and shorts to breakfast in the MDR. They told me to change. I could not enter with a tank top. This was not posted in the daily bulletin nor at the MDR entrance.

I asked why. 

A lady complained about seeing hairy men's underarms.

What about women with very low cut tops/dresses/gowns with hairy underarms or their breasts almost completely exposed? Even on formal nites.  LOL

I GUESS LIKE THEY SAY IN JAMAICA 

what's happening man? 

HAPPY CRUISING & STAY SAFE. 

Welcome back to normal CC postings.

59 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Ha Ha!  LOL.  That "other" thread was well read but apparently not anywhere near as useful and appreciated as another thread on dress codes.  😀

A dress code thread. Cruise Critic is “officially” back to normal. 😊😊😊😊😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, springfire said:

Your argument would have been valid 25 years ago but not so much today.  Celebrity rarely enforces their own dress code anymore, especially on Caribbean cruises.   Times have changed, the dress code has become much more relaxed over the years.

Again, wear what makes you feel good, you are on vacation.

I saw it enforced on my last four Celebrity cruises in the Caribbean. The most recent was in December 2019 just prior to Covid. Wearing shorts in the MDR does not bother me and I don't care if they enforce no shorts but don't say that no shorts in the MDR is not enforced. That is misinformation. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I saw it enforced on my last four Celebrity cruises in the Caribbean. The most recent was in December 2019 just prior to Covid. Wearing shorts in the MDR does not bother me and I don't care if they enforce no shorts but don't say that no shorts in the MDR is not enforced. That is misinformation. 

I was on Infinity in 2018 , I saw someone in cutoff shorts and a tank top go into mdr , I asked girl in front about the dress code and she said she wasn’t allowed to stop anyone. Same cruise I was questioned for not having a collar on my shirt for either breakfast or lunch in Luminae. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Seany527 said:

You sound like you’re into people watching. Maybe it’s best some people do wear shorts in the dining room, for if not, what would you have to talk about?

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Nowhere in the dress code does it require you to be well-groomed. You can show up in a dress that is ill fitting, too short, torn, stained, etc with horrible hair and makeup and be allowed in. Or you can be in a pair of Bermuda shorts and a sports jacket and turned away. I don't mind having an atmosphere of people looking "nice'"; but to expect that to be accomplished with a narrowly defined dress code is silly.  I'm personally much more put off at dinner by someone who smells bad (BO, cigarettes, overbearing perfume) than someone who isn't well dressed. But there's no attempt to create rules around that. Or someone who is openly disrespectful, drunk, loud, and disruptive. But again, as long as you have "long pants" on while you do it, it's allowed. 

As I said in my post -- if you read it carefully -- I am not commenting on dress codes, one way or the other. I only wanted to answer LGW's question regarding why and how those who don't present themselves in a way that is moderately well-groomed, clean, and not extremely far out of the sphere of what is expected can be a distraction or have an impact on others' enjoyment of the meal and the surroundings. 🤷‍♀️

And just because I notice does not mean I talk about it. No one wants to hear it, just as no one wants to hear someone ramble on about how service has gone downhill or food quality isn't what it once was -- frequent topics I have sat through when dining with others. 

13 hours ago, BostonBud said:

Dress codes are not only outdated but sexist

Wrong. At least for Celebrity. You aren't boxed into a gender identity by the dress code. If a male wants to rock a frock, then he can. If a female wants to wear aTommy Bahama shirt and khakis, she's free to do so. On one of our cruises there were several Trans guests on board and no one blinked an eye.  But none of them tried wearing shorts for dinner.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mom says said:

Wrong. At least for Celebrity. You aren't boxed into a gender identity by the dress code. If a male wants to rock a frock, then he can. If a female wants to wear aTommy Bahama shirt and khakis, she's free to do so. On one of our cruises there were several Trans and guests on board and no one blinked an eye.  But none of them tried wearing shorts for dinner.

Celebrity's dress code says:

"

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress
  • Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater
  • Optional sport coat or blazer

That at least implies that men should not feel comfortable wearing a cocktail dress or skirt. I also a not sure why women can wear something that shows off their legs but men can't. It goes on to say that "tank tops" and "flip flops" are prohibited. But there are plenty of women's tops and shoes that are permitted that could be considered "tank tops" or "flip flops" that are dressy enough to be permitted. But men aren't granted the same leniency. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Glad you saw Celebrity enforce the dressing code, but we consistently see people wearing shorts, t-shirts, flip flops and more.