Go Green—reduced housekeeping services—is this new?

cruisestitch

5 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

skip to 7:55

She makes a very cogent point, discusses age demographic, very relevant, IMO, guess that’s what you don’t like??  Good marketing strategy  

Just now, LGW59 said:

She makes a very cogent point, discusses age demographic, very relevant, IMO, guess that’s what you don’t like??  Good marketing strategy  

I have no disagreement or dislike with what Jo said at all, just getting our facts straight to comparing hotel chains comparable to X. I have never been to either property so I don’t know. I agree with you on age demographics and I think that’s how we got to AI. I like always included so no qualms with that.

but do those properties make you choose your daily service… id be curious to know 

1 minute ago, pumpkin 11 said:

I have no disagreement or dislike with what Jo said at all, just getting our facts straight to comparing hotel chains comparable to X. I have never been to either property so I don’t know. I agree with you on age demographics and I think that’s how we got to AI. I like always included so no qualms with that.

but do those properties make you choose your daily service… id be curious to know 

I don’t need my sheets changed daily, I’m good with towels for a couple of days, same as at home.  Don’t have the attitude as some, I’m traveling I paid for it, etc low key on daily service.  Many disagree and that’s ok but if my ice bucket isn’t full, I’ll survive, just like Gloria Gaynor.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Most hotels were not providing daily housekeeping during the pandemic, the reason the Hilton is repeatedly mentioned is the CEO announced just this week that default daily housekeeping will no longer be at the regular Hilton's you can request it however.  Corporate rules aside, each hotel can do whatever they want and most have not returned to daily housekeeping.

I live in L.A., we have a lot of restaurants and occasionally a new one opens with the concept of the included tip.  US Restaurants with included tips are well below .1%.  During the pandemic I have unfortunately seen a huge increase in restaurants changing their point-of-sale/credit card terminals and now when picking up take out it adds a tip % but you can press some buttons and zero it out.  Also curb-side delivery is another place where worker might be hoping for a tip.  Finally at hotel restaurants during breakfast, many are still doing a take out style bag which you can either enjoy at a nearby table or easily bring it back to your room.  However, what's right in front?  A tip jar...To be clear, I always tip dine-in waitstaff but not for take out, curb side or at a hotel restaurant where there's an employee handing out bags for breakfast.

9 hours ago, markeb said:

Too late, and I should just call it a night. 

if respondents on this thread are so convinced that Celebrity, a company they clearly have a long term relationship with, is out to screw them over, why are you still planning to give your hard earned money to a company you clearly believe you can’t trust? Go somewhere else.  Seriously. It isn’t worth stressing over. Find another cruise line. Before your next cruise. 

if you think, like many do, that BMW isn’t the product you want to drive, then check out Mercedes or Porsche. If you hate Windows, try a Mac There’s a certain catharsis to complain about your old friend changing, but it rarely has a value. Go elsewhere. 

So if we do business with a company, we're never allowed to criticize them?  Our only option is to take our money and go?  How do these companies get feedback to make their product better?

7 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Most hotels were not providing daily housekeeping during the pandemic, the reason the Hilton is repeatedly mentioned is the CEO announced just this week that default daily housekeeping will no longer be at the regular Hilton's you can request it however.  Corporate rules aside, each hotel can do whatever they want and most have not returned to daily housekeeping.

I live in L.A., we have a lot of restaurants and occasionally a new one opens with the concept of the included tip.  US Restaurants with included tips are well below .1%.  During the pandemic I have unfortunately seen a huge increase in restaurants changing their point-of-sale/credit card terminals and now when picking up take out it adds a tip % but you can press some buttons and zero it out.  Also curb-side delivery is another place where worker might be hoping for a tip.  Finally at hotel restaurants during breakfast, many are still doing a take out style bag which you can either enjoy at a nearby table or easily bring it back to your room.  However, what's right in front?  A tip jar...To be clear, I always tip dine-in waitstaff but not for take out, curb side or at a hotel restaurant where there's an employee handing out bags for breakfast.

One of the biggest issues with daily housekeeping like everything else these days is the labor shortage.  People previously in these positions had to find other jobs and probably better paying jobs at that.

On our last cruise, Oasis of the Seas 2 years ago, we were given the choice of morning service of the room, evening service or both.  We were happy to choose just evening.  I have always hated the morning service.  So we will gladly pick just evening service on our Silhouette cruise.  We don’t mind making our own bed in the morning and with just the two of us we have no problem in reusing bath towels.

Edited by Yvonne
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

One of the biggest issues with daily housekeeping like everything else these days is the labor shortage.  People previously in these positions had to find other jobs and probably better paying jobs at that.

Found an interesting story on the topic here: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wheres-housekeeping-hotels-cutting-back-on-daily-cleaning-after-pandemic-11625159416

Or for those who don't want to click, overall point being they're turning housekeeping "on demand".  Ironically for requesting daily housekeeping, you may be helping someone go back to work and possibly ensure they receive employment benefits:

"That doesn’t seem to be the case at Hilton Hawaiian Village, where Nely Reinante is a housekeeper and is waiting to go back to work full-time. Furloughed since March 2020, she recently told MarketWatch her hotel has made daily room cleaning optional, which means she remains on call. Unite Here said Reinante’s hotel has brought back about 450 of its 620 housekeepers.

Reinante said she has worked just one day a week so far. Though she appreciates being back, it’s not enough. She also needs health benefits for her and her family, including a 9-year-old daughter who has medical issues. She can’t get those health benefits unless she works at least 20 hours a week.

“I hope that we’re going to get called every day,” she said. “I’m trying to stay positive.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Found an interesting story on the topic here: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wheres-housekeeping-hotels-cutting-back-on-daily-cleaning-after-pandemic-11625159416

Or for those who don't want to click, overall point being they're turning housekeeping "on demand".  Ironically for requesting daily housekeeping, you may be helping someone go back to work and possibly ensure they receive employment benefits:

"That doesn’t seem to be the case at Hilton Hawaiian Village, where Nely Reinante is a housekeeper and is waiting to go back to work full-time. Furloughed since March 2020, she recently told MarketWatch her hotel has made daily room cleaning optional, which means she remains on call. Unite Here said Reinante’s hotel has brought back about 450 of its 620 housekeepers.

Reinante said she has worked just one day a week so far. Though she appreciates being back, it’s not enough. She also needs health benefits for her and her family, including a 9-year-old daughter who has medical issues. She can’t get those health benefits unless she works at least 20 hours a week.

“I hope that we’re going to get called every day,” she said. “I’m trying to stay positive.”

Thanks for posting.  I look forward to the day (if ever) when all this stuff is behind us!

27 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

This seems simple to me, either opt in or not.  No one cares why...or why not.  

I am pretty sure that some people care!  This is a discussion forum after all.  Plus lots of people waiting for cruises with nothing to do.

Edit:  @Harrylinden do you wash towels once a week or more frequently?  I throw in a little bit of Lysol liquid in the washing machine to get rid of any musty smell.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I don’t need my sheets changed daily, I’m good with towels for a couple of days, same as at home.  Don’t have the attitude as some, I’m traveling I paid for it, etc low key on daily service.  Many disagree and that’s ok but if my ice bucket isn’t full, I’ll survive, just like Gloria Gaynor.  

Good for you, your choice. Speaking only for myself (and wife) we prefer the full house keeping service we are accustomed to( we've never participated in the save the waves program either) when cruising and if we have to request the full housekeeping service going forward, so be it.  All personal  preferences. And we will still use our CC laundry perk. Say it's not so.  What's next, bring your own towel to the pool deck and gym. No cloth napkins, no table cloths, only plastic glasses, knives and forks and paper plates in the restaurants! If Celebrity wants to go green, great. As long as we have a choice that all I (we) care about. Could care less what others elect to do. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Good for you, your choice. Speaking only for myself (and wife) we prefer the full house keeping service we are accustomed to( we've never participated in the save the waves program either) when cruising and if we have to request the full housekeeping service going forward, so be it.  All personal  preferences. And we will still use our CC laundry perk. Say it's not so.  What's next, bring your own towel to the pool deck and gym. No cloth napkins, no table cloths, only plastic glasses, knives and forks and paper plates in the restaurants! If Celebrity wants to go green, great. As long as we have a choice that all I (we) care about. Could care less what others elect to do. 

and good for you, your choice as well.  As I said I was speaking for me and others disagree, cest la vie

6 hours ago, Yvonne said:

On our last cruise, Oasis of the Seas 2 years ago, we were given the choice of morning service of the room, evening service or both.  We were happy to choose just evening.  I have always hated the morning service.  So we will gladly pick just evening service on our Silhouette cruise.  We don’t mind making our own bed in the morning and with just the two of us we have no problem in reusing bath towels.

I'm with you but we may be in the minority.  Somehow the timing of expecting when someone is coming to my room is always a bit of pain as there is that window I feel I can't be in the room or pop back in for. Also I feel the need to 'pre-tidy' our stuff if someone is coming in to make up the room. I would rather bare minimum.

Last trip to Vegas (pre-pandemic) the hotel we were in offered a $10 voucher per day for opting out of housekeeping. We skipped it all 3 days and it was great! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

I'm with you but we may be in the minority.  Somehow the timing of expecting when someone is coming to my room is always a bit of pain as there is that window I feel I can't be in the room or pop back in for. Also I feel the need to 'pre-tidy' our stuff if someone is coming in to make up the room. I would rather bare minimum.

Last trip to Vegas (pre-pandemic) the hotel we were in offered a $10 voucher per day for opting out of housekeeping. We skipped it all 3 days and it was great! 

That's great if you have no trash piling up and like to make your own bed (or just jump in at the end of the day).

On 7/6/2021 at 7:53 AM, TeeRick said:

You're probably right about the labor shortage.  But some of the logic I question.  If there were so many better paying jobs out there, one has to wonder why the folks in question weren't opting into those way before the pandemic. 

9 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

You're probably right about the labor shortage.  But some of the logic I question.  If there were so many better paying jobs out there, one has to wonder why the folks in question weren't opting into those way before the pandemic. 

Because you’re right: it’s a wage shortage, not a labor shortage. 

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

Because you’re right: it’s a wage shortage, not a labor shortage. 

They still need to pay the bills somehow.  So if those higher paying jobs weren't there before, what makes them think they are there now?  So they must instead be deciding not to work for now because they are still being paid.  Wonder how long that can continue

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

They still need to pay the bills somehow.  So if those higher paying jobs weren't there before, what makes them think they are there now?  So they must instead be deciding not to work for now because they are still being paid.  Wonder how long that can continue

Without continuing to go off topic, I was having this conversation with a university type last night. Not sure about hotel housekeeping, but a lot of folks in the tipped service industry pool where he was (Oklahoma) discovered remote work in the last year. Working at home coding Python pays more than hustling burgers and drinks and the hours are a lot better. Probably not true for everyone everywhere, but true there. 

But what will the cruise lines cut next.  Let’s do 2 meals a day and we will give you an extra loyalty point….Or book your cruise totally a la carte.  With a pay as you go dining model.   They are reducing service.   and not putting something in its place,  and prices are going up.   Saying I only need housekeeping once a day is not the point.  The lines will see how far they can push and cut the current experience to recoup their billions of losses over the  last 18 months.  What department is next?   Let’s keep the gym open just 4 hours per day so we can cut the cost of staffing.  

Remember is not an important loss till it affects YOUR experience.  

• Like 3