Updated Information for those Sailing Soon

LAFFNVEGAS

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

From further in the article:

• Green status means the ship has no reports of cases of COVID-19 or COVID-19-like illness.
  • Orange status means the ship has reported cases of COVID-19 but is below the threshold for CDC investigation.
  • Yellow status means the ship has met the threshold for CDC investigation because the ship has met one of the following criteria:
    • at or above the investigation threshold for crew COVID-19 cases,
    • at or above the investigation threshold for passenger COVID-19 cases; or
    • state or local health department notified CDC of passenger COVID-19 cases occurring within 5 days of disembarkation.
  • Red status means the ship is at or above the threshold for passenger and crew COVID-19 cases. Based on CDC’s investigation, additional precautions, such as returning to port immediately or delaying the next voyage, will be taken if it is suspected that continuing normal operations may subject on board travelers or newly arriving travelers to disease.

So what I am taking this to mean is that someone that was just on the Employee cruise has tested positive for covid. It would be Orange if just a Crew member and there are currently No passengers on board. Not sure how quickly they update but it states being Investigated. so guessing that it is possibly for it to go back to Green tomorrow.

18 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

So what I am taking this to mean is that someone that was just on the Employee cruise has tested positive for covid. It would be Orange if just a Crew member and there are currently No passengers on board. Not sure how quickly they update but it states being Investigated. so guessing that it is possibly for it to go back to Green tomorrow.

I thought it said they update every seven days.

No one knows why the ship is in the current state of Yellow.  Who knows why they are starting an investigation on Nieuw Amsterdam.  You can speculate all you want, and what good does it do to speculate?  I agree with @LAFFNVEGAS .  I doubt that Seth Wayne is going to answer questions about status, but let's see if he does.  The Facebook Live session is in a few hours.  People should wait for the broadcast to begin and then ask the question about Yellow and see if he answers.  He may have no authority to answer.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I thought it said they update every seven days.

Specifically it says:

Ship color status is determined using surveillance data from the previous 7 days—regardless of voyage dates— and CDC investigation findings.

The following persons are not included when determining a ship’s color status:

• Passengers who test positive for COVID-19 on the day of embarkation who do not board the ship, or
  • Newly embarking crew members who test positive during their embarkation quarantine period.

This table is updated several times a week, as needed. 

• Like 1

Just in my humble opinion, IMHO, I don't personally like the idea of ships sailing in a "YELLOW" status. Either the ships are "clean", or they are not. If the new "normal" is that ships are "sort of clean", I am having second thoughts about all of this. I do see a number of ships sailing in "YELLOW" status, including Serenade of the Seas. It looks like Majestic Princess is in "ORANGE" status, not quite so bad. I have to ask myself, why should I sail aboard a ship that isn't "GREEN"? Can you imagine about to depart the gate for a flight aboard an aircraft that was "sort of safe"? A ship or an aircraft is either "GREEN" or it isn't. The company sailing the ship or flying the aircraft has a responsibility to honestly tell us if it is or isn't. The well-being of all ... passengers and crew are at stake. The cruise companies have had a year and a half to get this right.

7 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

Just in my humble opinion, IMHO, I don't personally like the idea of ships sailing in a "YELLOW" status. Either the ships are "clean", or they are not. If the new "normal" is that ships are "sort of clean", I am having second thoughts about all of this. I do see a number of ships sailing in "YELLOW" status, including Serenade of the Seas. It looks like Majestic Princess is in "ORANGE" status, not quite so bad. I have to ask myself, why should I sail aboard a ship that isn't "GREEN"? Can you imagine about to depart the gate for a flight aboard an aircraft that was "sort of safe"? A ship or an aircraft is either "GREEN" or it isn't. The company sailing the ship or flying the aircraft has a responsibility to honestly tell us if it is or isn't. The well-being of all ... passengers and crew are at stake. The cruise companies have had a year and a half to get this right.

You make a strong case for purchasing "cancel for any reason" insurance.  It seems like realistically, orange and yellow will happen, and for me, I'd like to choose whether to go or not based on itinerary -- how far from home, how many ports could be missed, etc., etc. 

9 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Well so maybe the updates are hourly….😳🙄

Well, not quite hourly 😉.  The one we were looking earlier was updated 7/21, now it's been updated today, 7/22.  

How about this flow chart?

Nieuw Amsterdam arrived back in port from a test cruise.

CDC need to do an inspection.

Doing an inspection means status changes to Orange.

Inspection complete and ok, then status changes to Green.

Just thinking out loud!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

How about this flow chart?

Nieuw Amsterdam arrived back in port from a test cruise.

CDC need to do an inspection.

Doing an inspection means status changes to Orange.

Inspection complete and ok, then status changes to Green.

Just thinking out loud!

That makes a lot of sense.

Just got confirmation today from our HAL PCC via phone call in reference to the Eurodam Oct 6-18 2021 sailing that an ORIGINAL (no photocopies allowed) CDC vaccination card will be required to be presented AT THE TIME OF BOARDING. No original card, boarding denied.  Also, COVID tests will be provided at the cruise lines' expense within 72 hours of disembarkation.

Edited by kevingastreich
added ship and dates

1 minute ago, kevingastreich said:

Just got confirmation today from our HAL PCC via phone call that an ORIGINAL (no photocopies allowed) CDC vaccination card will be required to be presented AT THE TIME OF BOARDING. No original card, boarding denied.  Also, COVID tests will be provided at the cruise lines' expense within 72 hours of disembarkation.

I am guessing this is regarding Eurodam in Greece?  They are not doing COVID testing in board Nieuw Amsterdam, unless maybe you are from another country and not US.

5 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I am guessing this is regarding Eurodam in Greece?  They are not doing COVID testing in board Nieuw Amsterdam, unless maybe you are from another country and not US.

Yes, sorry. This is in reference to the Eurodam Oct 6-18 2021 sailing.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 9:01 AM, NavArch64 said:

As someone sailing on July 31, I have suddenly become VERY interested in this CDC investigation of MS Nieuw Amsterdam....

Nieuw Amsterdam is coded Orange in today's update, based on data submitted yesterday. There aren't reports from those on the ship about this, so perhaps it's related to the test sailing? https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/crew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html

Safe Travels & Best Wishes to All!

Edited by syesmar

Here is the explanation of the colors shown below the chart on the CDC chart web site.  Since they've been updating it daily for the last week, I'm guessing there may be a case onboard the NA. It seems it went back to green by last Sat.'s sailing, so something has changed since then.  Perhaps someone came on the ship who was asymptomatic, then began having symptoms and reported to the medical staff.  In all our cruises, I don't recall ever being made aware of a medical issue while we were on board; I just recall seeing a few folks taken off the ship with no discussion/explanation offered.

• Green status means the ship has no reports of cases of COVID-19 or COVID-19-like illness.
  • Orange status means the ship has reported cases of COVID-19 but is below the threshold for CDC investigation.
  • Yellow status means the ship has met the threshold for CDC investigation because the ship has met one of the following criteria:
    • at or above the investigation threshold for crew COVID-19 cases,
    • at or above the investigation threshold for passenger COVID-19 cases; or
    • state or local health department notified CDC of passenger COVID-19 cases occurring within 5 days of disembarkation.
  • Red status means the ship is at or above the threshold for passenger and crew COVID-19 cases. Based on CDC’s investigation, additional precautions, such as returning to port immediately or delaying the next voyage, will be taken if it is suspected that continuing normal operations may subject on board travelers or newly arriving travelers to disease.

CDC will follow up with cruise ships when an investigation is required as ships begin passenger operations on simulated or restricted voyages under the CSO. For more details about the thresholds for investigation or red status, see Technical Instructions for Mitigation of COVID-19 Among Cruise Ship Crew.

Edited by 12cruise2
added more