Packing for an Alaska/Hawaii Cruise

danaps

Hi!

We just recently booked a 16 Day early October 22 cruise - Vancouver/Alaska/Hawaii and are trying to figure out how to pack.  Do you all do one suitcase for Alaska and another for Hawaii?  We will be flying cross country so this is a consideration as well.

Any tips and ideas would be great - we are veteran cruisers so we know all the basic tips - this is a specific question.

If you are taking more then one piece of luggage it is always wise to "cross pack" so each person has sufficient clothes in each bag to survive if one piece gets delayed or lost.  While the airlines do a pretty good job tracking luggage, stuff does happen.  For these kind of ports we have purchased light weight hiking shoes (kind of like sneakers on steroids) such as those available from Lands End.  Otherwise the tried and true packing some clothing layers make sense since you need to be prepared for the possibility of some chilly and wet days in AK.   My other tip (we used to think everyone did this) is to start checking the long range weather forecasts a few days before your cruise and keep checking until the day you leave.  This should give you a good idea of the temperature and weather related issues with enough time to alter some of your packing.   The last time we went to AK (2019) we got to Anchorage in the middle of one of their worst heatwaves.  Even at Denali National Park (where we spent a few days) the temps actually got into the low 80s.  We were forewarned because we had kept up with the weather forecasts so had the right clothes.   

Hank

• Like 2

You will be likely going from a high in the low 40's to a high in the 80's.  Silver lining is packing for Hawaii needs not be heavy weight garments.

If it were me, one suitcase.   Sorry, can't be of much help.     

I think you are asking that since there are two of you - rather than packing 1 for the Mr. and 1 for the Mrs., instead packing one for Hawaii for both and one for Alaska for both? If this is correct, the downside I would see to it is that your Alaska clothes will take up much more room than your Hawaii clothes. I would focus on a suitcase for each with lots of layering. You can use the same t-shirts for both trips and just wash halfway through. Then you only need to worry about a couple sweatshirts/jackets for Alaska. I've also gotten the zip of pants for trips like this that have both weather extremes. One garment can both be pants in Alaska and shorts in Hawaii.

• Like 1

I would start here: One 25 inch bag each.  One smaller carry-on.  

Pack for 8 days with most clothes being worn twice.  Do laundry half way through and wear twice again.  In it's basic form that plan works out to 4 pairs of pants; two warmer weather, two cooler weather.  Tops that will work for both temps.  Ad one or two tops for much warmer weather and a sweater of fleece to layer up when it's cooler.  Rainjacket/windbreaker worn over the sweater or fleece if it gets really colder.  

That's the basic plan.  If you use a 25 inch suitcase there should be plenty of room to add clothes and extras.  I carry my own pillow, for instance.

And yes, in Alaska there should be no shortage of sweatshirts for sale.

• Like 1

The only thing I will add is that a down or down-alternative vest is more packable than a fleece jacket or pullover, because it compresses a lot and fleece doesn't. The advantage of fleece, on the other hand, is that if it gets wet, it dries quickly.

In any case, it's correct that most of your clothing can be the same throughout the trip, with one warm and one rainproof layer to add for Alaska. If you tend to be cold, you may want to plan on two warm layers. Many people buy jackets, sweatshirts, etc., at their first Alaska port, but if I already had suitable gear, I would pack it. If Alaska happens to be warm while you're there, you'll wear more of the clothing you planned for Hawaii, but as that's lighter, it presents less packing challenge anyway.

The complicated part is if your Alaska agenda would require hiking gear, or you intend to snorkel or dive in Hawaii. And the amount of luggage you can check for your flights makes a difference, although even if I could check two bags per person, I'm not sure that I'd want to.

• Like 1

Similar but not the same…we did a South American cruise from Chile, Round the Horn and back to Buenos Aires, in January. We were allowed one hold suitcase of 23 kg, cabin roll aboard and one personal item. Managed quite easily.. The easy answer is layers. 

Travelled in jeans, took two pairs of jogging pants. Wore a padded jacket to travel but by the time we landed in South America, rolled it into a vacuum bag and slipped into rollaboard. Wore trainers to travel and took another pair in bag..Sketchers which had been sprayed with waterproof spray. Took three woolen jumpers that squash up small and a  fleece. Also packed summer weight cropped trousers ,T shirts and sandals, as well as formal and smart casual evening wear and formal shoes. I took thermal vests but didn’t need them.

When we cruised to Alaska found the evenings less dressy than other cruises.

Will repeat what others have said..cross pack in case of one case being delayed. Also take change of clothes/ underwear , nightwear and swimsuit /flip flops in rollaboard as well as all medications.

• Like 1

Its all about layers. Rather than a heavy and light pair of trousers - one pair oflight trousers with leggings/long johns that go underneath. I use a lot of merino for this type of trip. 2 thin merino tops and short sleeve and long sleeve can layer one over the top. 

Use a down jacket rather than polar fleece - is far less bulky. Basically you end up wearing your summer weight items as layers in the cooler climate.  

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 6:10 AM, Reina del Mar said:

Similar but not the same…we did a South American cruise from Chile, Round the Horn and back to Buenos Aires, in January. We were allowed one hold suitcase of 23 kg, cabin roll aboard and one personal item. Managed quite easily.. The easy answer is layers. 

Travelled in jeans, took two pairs of jogging pants. Wore a padded jacket to travel but by the time we landed in South America, rolled it into a vacuum bag and slipped into rollaboard. Wore trainers to travel and took another pair in bag..Sketchers which had been sprayed with waterproof spray. Took three woolen jumpers that squash up small and a  fleece. Also packed summer weight cropped trousers ,T shirts and sandals, as well as formal and smart casual evening wear and formal shoes. I took thermal vests but didn’t need them.

When we cruised to Alaska found the evenings less dressy than other cruises.

Will repeat what others have said..cross pack in case of one case being delayed. Also take change of clothes/ underwear , nightwear and swimsuit /flip flops in rollaboard as well as all medications.

Waterproofing the sketchers is a brilliant idea - thanks!  We do always cross pack as a rule, but it's nice to read how others have managed.  Sometime I forget about the onboard laundry - that will moset definitely be taken advantage.

On 7/14/2021 at 8:33 AM, matamanoa said:

Your cruise sounds wonderful.  What I would like to know is how you are doing Hawaii and Alaska in 16 days?

Barb

5 days Alaska, 5 sea days and 5 days in Hawaii  with a half day on each end.  We are quite excited....

• Like 1