X:"We recommend that you arrive to the pier within your selected arrival time. Early arrivals may have a prolonged wait time"

NutsAboutGolf

20 hours ago, zitsky said:

Not everyone thinks they are "special".  Maybe they got there earlier than expected because they planned for traffic and there wasn't any.

If I get there early I understand the rules.  But some people can't stand for long periods of time.

All the more reason to plan accordingly, rather that means if planning for traffic, bringing a lounge chair, possibly just in case?

As soon as everyone who arrives 'early' is accommodated in some way, then the issue with long lines and waits and etc. become more of an issue for X and those who arrive at the requested time.

Remember: pandemic.

bon voyage

18 hours ago, runningtide said:

I think it’s time for Celebrity to respond to this issue. Please explain why passengers that arrive before their boarding time, for whatever reasons, can not enter the terminal. Forcing guest to stand in the heat is a dangerous procedure. Please don’t use COVID as an excuse. I don’t see airline passengers standing outside the airport terminal. Celebrity has a brand new terminal that can provide a safe environment for guest to wait. And as ship capacity increases, this problem will only get worse. Celebrity owns that terminal as I understand. Think outside the box, but do something before a guest is critically injured. 

If I understand the statement correctly, only X needs to think outside the box for those who choose, for whatever reason, decide not to plan around the time slot provided for their check-in?

IMO, the only thing airport terminals and port terminals have in common is the fact that people arrive to take a mode of transportation.

Airlines recommend that most passengers arrive up to three (3) hours in advance of their scheduled flight in order to prevent possible backups and missing ones flight. No schedule provided for check-in otherwise.

Cruise lines take the extra step to provide a specific check-in time to accommodate all passengers.

Or have many of us missed something in the procedures and process between the two (2) different modes of transport?

bon voyage

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zitsky said:

Have any of you ever shown up early for an appointment?

I usually try to and wait or do something else accordingly until it is my appointed time...

bon voyage

10 hours ago, zitsky said:

Tough crowd.

At least you can sit in your car and stay warm and dry.  Can't do that at the port can you?

For the cruise I will go at my scheduled time.  I hope they do a good job showing people where to wait.

You will see a line where people who arrive too early for their appointment will be standing or sitting and/or both with sweating and complaining... LOL

bon voyage

Not sure if anyone has asked this but are the check-in times assigned by X or do you have a chance to select your check-in time when doing online check-in?  We are on the Summit in 5 weeks and I have filled out my info but when I select arrival time it says its not ready yet.  The wording in the app makes it sound like I will be able to select a time.

1 minute ago, WhiteSoxFan said:

Not sure if anyone has asked this but are the check-in times assigned by X or do you have a chance to select your check-in time when doing online check-in?  We are on the Summit in 5 weeks and I have filled out my info but when I select arrival time it says its not ready yet.  The wording in the app makes it sound like I will be able to select a time.

You will select your check-in time.  I suggest keep checking a few times per day . . . We are on Apex on October 10, and I checked a couple of times a day.  I checked one last time on Monday night to find that I could select our times and got an early time slot.  The options are in 30 minute increments; once a slot is “full”, that time is no longer available.

1 minute ago, bama4cruisin said:

You will select your check-in time.  I suggest keep checking a few times per day . . . We are on Apex on October 10, and I checked a couple of times a day.  I checked one last time on Monday night to find that I could select our times and got an early time slot.  The options are in 30 minute increments; once a slot is “full”, that time is no longer available.

Thanks, that is exactly what I have been doing.  

On the app, you are given a choice of times to arrive for checkin. You can choose the time frame(s) that are available. I would guess the closer you get to the departure date, your choices may become limited. I checked in for a September cruise about three weeks ago and had my choice across departure time frames. 

28 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

If I understand the statement correctly, only X needs to think outside the box for those who choose, for whatever reason, decide not to plan around the time slot provided for their check-in?

IMO, the only thing airport terminals and port terminals have in common is the fact that people arrive to take a mode of transportation.

Airlines recommend that most passengers arrive up to three (3) hours in advance of their scheduled flight in order to prevent possible backups and missing ones flight. No schedule provided for check-in otherwise.

Cruise lines take the extra step to provide a specific check-in time to accommodate all passengers.

Generally in agreement here. But delays have also happened when a ship that arrived does not get cleared on time. In the past, people waited inside.  If it happens now, looks like no one is let inside to wait.

On the whole, yes, it would be wise, and simple, for the port and the cruiselines to anticipate that type of problem and at least put up a set of  pavillions. Yes, people arriving early wouldn't suffer as much for their absurd self-importance, but it could avert a huge problem if a big delay occurred.

Of course, they might have a protocol in place to open the terminal if a big delay occurred.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Generally in agreement here. But delays have also happened when a ship that arrived does not get cleared on time. In the past, people waited inside.  If it happens now, looks like no one is let inside to wait.

On the whole, yes, it would be wise, and simple, for the port and the cruiselines to anticipate that type of problem and at least put up a set of  pavillions. Yes, people arriving early wouldn't suffer as much for their absurd self-importance, but it could avert a huge problem if a big delay occurred.

Of course, they might have a protocol in place to open the terminal if a big delay occurred.

If a "big delay" occurred, do they not, generally, text or email us about it ASAP?

Or so I thought I have read that in the past about delays in initial embarkations, could be incorrect though.

Thank you and bon voyage

9 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

If a "big delay" occurred, do they not, generally, text or email us about it ASAP?

A delayed arrival, probably, but a hitch that developed at the last minute might not give much time to notify the hundreds likely on the way.

My only experience, fortunately, is one on a B2B on RC. Our turnaround boredom extended to about 90 minutes due to some type of delay, but we were just sitting inside the terminal. I have no idea whether new arrivals were notified, but I now wonder where they (or we) would have had to wait under the current protocol.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Thanks 1

I'm wondering if Celebrity is listening.     I just had a weird experience which I have never seen before.

I have a 9/5 cruise booked for a B2B on Equinox.    I didn't book until last week, well after final payment.

When I checked in on Saturday the earliest time available for check-in was 2:30 PM.    I chose that for both of us and not really concerned because we are traveling in a Suite and Zenith.   Yesterday I went to add the Photo to the pass and when I got to the Check-In time it was marked 2:30 but every time slot from 11:30 on were available.   I picked up the 11:30 slots.

Has anyone else seen this? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

Or so I thought I have read that in the past about delays in initial embarkations, could be incorrect though.

Thank you and bon voyage

I've always received a text when a delay was expected.    I was on one in Barcelona and they had an outbreak of the tummy bug and needed to do a deep clean.    Boarding was delayed until about 4:00 PM.   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

No, but I have something at least as bizarre.  I have an October booking for Summit out of Miami, and the ONLY booking time that ever has been available was 3:00 PM.  Nothing before or after.

I'm in a RS, so I'll have a chance to chat with the shoreside concierge about that (as well as Summit) and (hopefully) see what the deal is.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

No, but I have something at least as bizarre.  I have an October booking for Summit out of Miami, and the ONLY booking time that ever has been available was 3:00 PM.  Nothing before or after.

I'm in a RS, so I'll have a chance to chat with the shoreside concierge about that (as well as Summit) and (hopefully) see what the deal is.

Maybe they can move your check-in time to 3p???

bon voyage

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm wondering if Celebrity is listening.     I just had a weird experience which I have never seen before.

I have a 9/5 cruise booked for a B2B on Equinox.    I didn't book until last week, well after final payment.

When I checked in on Saturday the earliest time available for check-in was 2:30 PM.    I chose that for both of us and not really concerned because we are traveling in a Suite and Zenith.   Yesterday I went to add the Photo to the pass and when I got to the Check-In time it was marked 2:30 but every time slot from 11:30 on were available.   I picked up the 11:30 slots.

Sounds like another Celebrity IT snafu. All the arguments about arriving at your appointed time go out the window if they keep recycling all of the time slots.

21 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Sounds like another Celebrity IT snafu. All the arguments about arriving at your appointed time go out the window if they keep recycling all of the time slots.

Finally something we can agree about.

I saw something similar with my Alaska cruise (8/27/21). Initially, 3-3:30 was the only time available to everyone (which seemed a bit late with a 4p departure). But a few weeks later, the rest of the times populated. So maybe they were still working out the plans behind the scenes.

Saw it just yesterday for our cruise this Sunday, allowed us to change from 1:30 to 11:30, not in a suite, I suppose we will see this Sunday…Concierge Cabin…first time aft. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes. We changed ours to 11:30am too.

thanks for the tip.

There is another thread that is reporting 11:30 boarding opened up for August cruise on Edge.  The earliest I saw on the app just now for October was 12:30. We have a 12:00 boarding time but are in a suite so good to know we might be able to go before noon.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!  Reading this thread alerted me to being able to choose an earlier checkin time for our August cruise!!!  Now, since I’m a worrier, I’m going to fear that it was a weird IT glitch and I’ll wake up tomorrow to find I’ve been reassigned to 3 pm…later than what I originally had…

• Like 1

Let me get this straight. The main complaint, not the OP’s who had a special situation, is arriving early and not getting to check in and get on board, and I’m not talking about 10-15min early. I was a bit (not much) sympathetic until I see the posts that You pick your check-in time…..whaaaaat?? So much for ‘a bit’ of sympathy. 

You pick your time. And even if it isn’t the exact time you want, you picked it. But you are going to complain about waiting too long at your hotel, or your flight arrival time doesn’t exactly match up with The Time You Picked?!? Or you need immediate shade? Or…..

That just closed the door on listening…..well reading actually….to these excuses which are more than a bit whiny anyway. I’m more than put off because I only have a certain amount of sympathy and it was just used up for the week!

den

• Haha 1