Proof of Vaccination Requirement

I'm cruising on Jewel of the Seas in 2 weeks. My dad booked the cruise and he said he called and was told that CDC cards are not going to cut it as proof of vaccination, and we have to bring a letter from our primary care position. I don't think this makes any sense at all, as the CDC card is the only proof of vaccination given in the US. I also don't have a PCP, since I just moved and haven't bothered to get one. If I could manage to get an appointment within 2 weeks, I imagine the conversation would be something like this ...

Me to PCP: Can you write a letter to Royal Caribbean saying that I've been vaccinated? 
PCP: How do I know you've been vaccinated?
Me: I can show you my CDC card.
PCP: Why can't Royal Caribbean look at your CDC card?
Me: They don't accept it. They need a letter from my PCP.
PCP: So ... they won't accept the card, but they will accept a letter from me saying I looked at your card and it says you're vaccinated?
Me: Yep.

Sound a bit like a scene from Idiocracy?

Anyway, straight from RCCL's site it says US persons need a CDC card OR letter from PCP. Is anyone else under the impression that we need a letter from our PCP?

Thanks,
Mariah

43 minutes ago, MariahJ said:

I'm cruising on Jewel of the Seas in 2 weeks. My dad booked the cruise and he said he called and was told that CDC cards are not going to cut it as proof of vaccination, and we have to bring a letter from our primary care position. I don't think this makes any sense at all, as the CDC card is the only proof of vaccination given in the US. I also don't have a PCP, since I just moved and haven't bothered to get one. If I could manage to get an appointment within 2 weeks, I imagine the conversation would be something like this ...

Me to PCP: Can you write a letter to Royal Caribbean saying that I've been vaccinated? 
PCP: So ... they won't accept the card, but they will accept a letter from me saying I looked at your card and it says you're vaccinated?

Anyway, straight from RCCL's site it says US persons need a CDC card OR letter from PCP. Is anyone else under the impression that we need a letter from our PCP?

Thanks,
Mariah

If you call rccl back you will get a different answer, if the site says cdc card then they are going to accept the cdc card the question is what is cypress accepting. 

Edited by mauraoel

You'll be fine. Someone on the phone just made that up. Your CDC card is the proof that we are given in the United States. You don't say where you are located, but in CA, you can also get another minimal verification from the state dept. of health website. But the CDC card should be fine. Kind of rotten for them to put that sort of uncertainty out 2 weeks before you leave. 

• Like 3

Last sentence……

Proof of Vaccination: Royal Caribbean requires guests age 18 and older to be fully vaccinated. On arrival at the port, vaccinated guests must display their vaccination status on their government approved App or with a vaccination certificate / letter provided by their health authority or general practitioner (GP). Guests travelling from the UK must display their vaccination status on the NHS App or provide a valid NHS vaccination certificate. We recommend that guests register for the NHS App or vaccination certificate at least 2 weeks prior to travel. Guests who do not have access to the NHS service must provide a letter from their health authority or general practitioner (GP). Please note vaccination cards will not be accepted as proof of vaccination.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/gbr/en/healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise?dPort=limassol

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

Acceptable Proof of Vaccination For Ports Where Vaccines Are Required

In order to present proof of full vaccination for our cruises, the guest must show Proof of Vaccination on boarding day at the terminal in the form of the vaccination record issued by either (1) the country’s health authority that administered the vaccination (e.g., U.S. CDC's Vaccination Record Card) (2) electronic vaccination records where country policy requires the use of electronic documentation via app or health agency site (e.g. UK NHS App, NHS Certificate, Israel Green Pass, EU Digital COVID Certificate), or (3) a letter from the guest's medical provider that administered the vaccination which meets the following criteria:

• The Proof of Vaccination must include the name of the vaccinated person matching the registered cruise guest with date of birth (DoB), the dates of the completed vaccination cycle, the administering physical or medical services provider, the manufacturer of the vaccine issued.
  • The full vaccination cycle must be completed at least 14 days before sail date (e.g., received the second dose in a two-dose series such as Pfizer or Moderna or a single dose of J&J).
  • The vaccine is recognized and approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (US FDA) and/or the World Health Organization (WHO).

They will be fine with the CDC Vaccination Record Card coming from the US. :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

Your CDC card is the proof that we are given in the United States.

10 minutes ago, Coralc said:

They will be fine with the CDC Vaccination Record Card coming from the US. 

I hate to burst your bubble but, we spoke to RCL's office in Frankfurt this morning. US CDC cards are NOT being accepted as proof of vaccination. The US consulate in Munich said this is the case in most of the EU at this time.  Will this change? probably so, things are changing almost daily. Before anybody starts throwing rocks,  We are just passing on the info we got told. 

Edited by crazyank
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, crazyank said:

I hate to burst your bubble but, we spoke to RCL's office in Frankfurt this morning. US CDC cards are NOT being accepted as proof of vaccination. The US consulate in Munich said this is the case in most of the EU at this time.  Will this change? probably so, things are changing almost daily.

Then what will they accept? It does not affect my cruises. But Royal Caribbean's website states what was quoted above. There is not really other documentation available to US citizens. As Mariah stated above, a physician will not state that you are vaccinated unless administered by them. They can only state that you have presented evidence of being vaccinated. In most states, you can also get minimal documentation from state DPH, which will say the same thing as your card. 

3 hours ago, Coralc said:

Then what will they accept? It does not affect my cruises. But Royal Caribbean's website states what was quoted above. There is not really other documentation available to US citizens. As Mariah stated above, a physician will not state that you are vaccinated unless administered by them. They can only state that you have presented evidence of being vaccinated. In most states, you can also get minimal documentation from state DPH, which will say the same thing as your card. 

At the moment we don't know. We're trying to find out.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MariahJ said:

Thanks,
Mariah

Are you from the US and if so, does your insurance allow for urgent care visit?  They can do the letter for you stating you received vaccination.  My son just did this for work as they wouldn't take his card and he doesn't have a PCP (20 something mentality).  Not sure if EU would accept but it would have a dr stamp.

Edited by jean87510

5 hours ago, little britain said:

Last sentence……

Proof of Vaccination: Royal Caribbean requires guests age 18 and older to be fully vaccinated. On arrival at the port, vaccinated guests must display their vaccination status on their government approved App or with a vaccination certificate / letter provided by their health authority or general practitioner (GP). Guests travelling from the UK must display their vaccination status on the NHS App or provide a valid NHS vaccination certificate. We recommend that guests register for the NHS App or vaccination certificate at least 2 weeks prior to travel. Guests who do not have access to the NHS service must provide a letter from their health authority or general practitioner (GP). Please note vaccination cards will not be accepted as proof of vaccination.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/gbr/en/healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise?dPort=limassol

This links to UK site. Once there it redirected me to US site. I selected Cypress sailings and found a link to this.

Screenshot_20210714-075946_Chrome.thumb.jpg.111379b7c2a25c9b2ea448a9d750f2e3.jpg

So I read the CDC card is perfectly acceptable 

• Thanks 1

I should clarify that I am from the US and sailing out of Cyprus.

I also read that the CDC card is perfectly acceptable, but my dad says he has gotten a different answer twice when he called in.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

So I read the CDC card is perfectly acceptable 

4 hours ago, MariahJ said:

I also read that the CDC card is perfectly acceptable, but my dad says he has gotten a different answer twice when he called in.

This is the problem.  Every call gets a different answer.   The US consulate in Munich is adamant the the CDC card is not acceptable proof of vaccination in the EU.   Cyprus government website says the digital EU vaccination certificate is all that's needed.  If we ever get a definite answer I'll post it immediately.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MariahJ said:

Thanks,
Mariah

Here is what @baron9said on the "Just boarded the jewel flight from the us - at least for now, you can quote him ON THAT THREAD and ask exactly what was required.  Also, it's probably best to keep in mind that other countries requirements might be continually adjusting their protocols.  Anyway here is what he said on the RCCL thread:

Just boarded the jewel and sailing in a suite. Flight from the US through London to Cypress  leaving  the US needed to show a negative Covid test the UK transient documents and Cyprus travel pass. Going through Heathrow did not have to show  any documentation. Landing in Cypress we had to show a negative Covid test and the travel pass. I thought since we were vaccinated we would have to show just a vaccination card. They said on the aircraft that if you did not have a negative Covid test  you’ll be sent for one as soon as you arrive. When we arrive to check in for the cruise the time from leaving the cab to boarding the ship was an hour and 20 minutes. It took about 25 minutes to get the results of the Covid test. The ship is sailing at about 20% occupancy for about 420 people. Everyone on board is really excited to welcome the guests. if you are in a suite  the happy hour concierge‘s club drinks do not count against your vouchers if you’re in the diamond club drinks do count against your vouchers. I will be happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

Edited by AKJonesy

We sort of solved the problem....I think. We were vaccinated when our local health department did not have CDC cards. We were given 8 1/2 x 11 inch local health record after each shot. It is a rather cumbersome document to haul around. So, we went back to our local heath department with the 'large' records to get a CDC card showing our vaccinations. We now have both the large and the small for our records....and they will be both going with us when we cruise. Hopefully, that will be enough to satisfy the cruise line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Following this thread to get more info.  I'm in Texas and our original Vaccine card is very rinky-dink looking.  In fact, they only wrote the shot we got and a number that I suppose is the batch number for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine we got.  We actually wrote in our own name,  birthdate and date of shot.  I'm thinking that even I wouldn't take that as proof.  I think my 6th grade grandson could print the same thing on card stock.   We don't cruise until Sept.  I have faxed a request to the Texas Dept of Public Health Service requesting an official immunization history.  I mentioned in my fax cover that I want it for proof of Covid-19 vaccine and requested they mail it to me (I could have had it sent directly to Princess but don't think they would know what it was for).  We'll see if that has some sort of seal or something on it.  I plan to take both items with me to check in.   Hoping to hear what other PCL cruisers find to be acceptable at check in.

Edited by RRFan
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Coralc said:

I can get a print out from my Kaiser Permanente profile online.  However, it doesn't have any signatures or any sort of official stamp or anything that would seem to authenticate it.  I have my CDC card and that is it.  I can't imagine that more than that will be required.

56 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I can get a print out from my Kaiser Permanente profile online.  However, it doesn't have any signatures or any sort of official stamp or anything that would seem to authenticate it.  I have my CDC card and that is it.  I can't imagine that more than that will be required.

Kaiser has my info, even though I didn't receive it there. CDPH has my info, but it is is essentially the same as the card. I posted the same info as Laura from the cruise line saying the cards will be fine. 

And baron9, who is currently on Jewel posted the required documents. A negative Covid test, A UK Transient Pass if you are flying through there. And probably most important, a Cyprus Travel Pass. I don't know how you obtain any of those, but I also don't think there is a problem with the CDC cards. 

Much ado about nothing. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I could get my Kaiser primary physician to write a message to me and attach my verification of COVID vaccination.....it's a copy of my CDC vaccination card, since I got vaccinated through my county health department.

So, official Kaiser message stating my CDC card is valid!!

Everybody needs to remember that RCCL is going by LOCAL health authorities for ports, and one size regulation does not fit all.  That is until they get a global COVID vaccination e-verification in place.