Canadians! NCL does not accept mixed doses of vaccines

Hadacareer

On 7/15/2021 at 11:29 PM, gmbhardy said:

I suggest that a significant reason Canada ‘s COVID numbers have come down is because we have had the most stringent lock down measures in North America, particularly in Ontario, and there’s a price to pay for that too. I would just like to know how the NACI  could make a recommendation on vaccine mixing weeks ago when the WHO recently said there was currently insufficient data to form a conclusion. What data was NACI using? As mixed vaccine recipients, It will be interesting to see what happens when Justin and Doug attempt to cross the border, if it ever opens.

I'm not a vaccine warrior but misinformation is aggravating.  I think you only read the poorly worded headlines.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/who-warns-against-mixing-matching-covid-vaccines-2021-07-12/

5 hours ago, OzCanuck said:

I'm not a vaccine warrior but misinformation is aggravating.  I think you only read the poorly worded headlines.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/who-warns-against-mixing-matching-covid-vaccines-2021-07-12/

Its too bad but the damage is already done as far as the misinformation goes.  Nothing changes the fact that a good number of us Canadians are not considered fully vaccinated in the eyes of others. 

We have three cruises booked and unless things do a 180 we will have no choice but to cancel. Its not the end of the world but very disappointing as "rules" were changed midstream, any one want three Haven cabins ? 

Edited by armwinder
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, armwinder said:

Its too bad but the damage is already done as far as the misinformation goes.  Nothing changes the fact that a good number of us Canadians are not considered fully vaccinated in the eyes of others. 

We have three cruises booked and unless things do a 180 we will have no choice but to cancel. Its not the end of the world but very disappointing as "rules" were changed midstream, any one want three Haven cabins ? 

We’re in the same boat.  DW has Pfizer and moderna and although basically the same thing it looks like we’re not going to experience our first Haven experience either. We felt such pressure from the government to take the moderna when Pfizer ran out and now feel totally duped. 

10 minutes ago, gardening_guy said:

We’re in the same boat.  DW has Pfizer and moderna and although basically the same thing it looks like we’re not going to experience our first Haven experience either. We felt such pressure from the government to take the moderna when Pfizer ran out and now feel totally duped. 

On the other hand, you're much less likely to contract or have a serious case of Covid.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, gardening_guy said:

Canada is not the only country mixing vaccines. In fact, many countries recommended mRNA second dose after AZ first dose including Germany, Spain, France, Finland, etc. 

And this restriction only applies to NCL cruises departing and disembarking in U.S. ports which makes it even more ridiculous. 

There's always other lines. Princess is accepting mixed mRNA as fully vax'd.

In the end, I can't blame any government for a private company's decisions and I'll take being fully vax'd over being able to go on a cruise out of the U.S. Time to take my cruise dollars to another country and/or another cruise line.

Edited by adhncruisers
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, OzCanuck said:

Poorly worded and very misleading. The context was around those looking for third or more doses. 

Dear cruise lines,

While I can certainly appreciate your need to do what it takes to get back to business...and hence the enormous challenges you're facing...you can be sure that there are many former cruisers who will not take these injections for a myriad of valid reasons.

When and if the insanity stops.....they will be on board. I hope you have a few forward thinking people working in the ivory towers who truly have the ability to listen to many opinions and engage in discussion that is productive, not destructive. 

44 minutes ago, delaware32 said:

I believe the cruise lines are accepting mixed mNRA vaccine ie. Pfizer/Moderna . Check the article under "News" on the Cruise Critic home page .

Some are and some are not. NCL will not accept any mix (even mRNA) if sailing out of/into U.S. ports but will accept any mix from other ports. Princess will accept an mRNA mix but not AZ-mRNA mix.

On 7/16/2021 at 5:08 PM, ziggyuk said:

NCL policy is to refund if you can't get the vaccine, not sure the end date to that policy but would cover all those paid in full as of now.

Not getting a suitable vaccine is the same thing, even if it wasn't you can just say you can't get it in time or simply that you can't get it.

On 7/17/2021 at 3:21 PM, Yinster said:

Is there a link to this? I couldn't find it

Looks like it only applies to bookings made prior to the announcement (April 5th 2021).

https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/sail-safe#t4m1

If I already booked a cruise or have a FCC and don’t want to get vaccinated, will the cruise line provide a refund for my cruise?

Yes, if a guest has an active reservation as of April 5, 2021 for a cruise with a vaccination requirement (currently all sailings through October 31, 2021), that the guest is unable to comply with; guest will be permitted to apply the full value of all amounts paid to a new future cruise credit or, at their  discretion, be provided a cash refund in an amount equal to their original cash payment

Can only hope we have NCL booked Feb and Oct 2022 with FCC, hope it changes.

Have Celebrity in Nov 2021 and Carnival Nov 2022 and Jan 2023 and HAL Feb 2023.

Is it only NCL not taking a pfizer and moderna mix.

All this BS you would never know cruise lines are hurting. 

Guess cruiseline stocks will fall Monday

3 hours ago, willise said:

Our final payment is due in October for our January cruise. If NCL doesn't want our business, I'm sure we can find somewhere that does.

I don’t know who to blame - the Canadian federal government, the WHO or NCL but someone or all of them need to get their **** together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, leafsnation said:

Can only hope we have NCL booked Feb and Oct 2022 with FCC, hope it changes.

Have Celebrity in Nov 2021 and Carnival Nov 2022 and Jan 2023 and HAL Feb 2023.

Is it only NCL not taking a pfizer and moderna mix.

All this BS you would never know cruise lines are hurting. 

Guess cruiseline stocks will fall Monday

Cruise lines along with the whole market headed downhill today at the moment.  NCL is down about $12 from their yearly high.  

10 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

I don’t know who to blame - the Canadian federal government, the WHO or NCL but someone or all of them need to get their **** together.

I agree! We were given so many mixed messages about getting vaccinations - but the one thing that we all reacted to was The Best Vaccine is the First One you Can Get! For me it was AZ - followed by Pfizer. I didn't plan it that way but that's the way it worked out. I find it incredible that although I am fully vaccinated I can't cruise, but I can say I am not vaccinated and then I can (Not with NCL and with all the testing and stuff but still!).   I am so frustrated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gmbhardy said:

Well, not the WHO or the federal governments. The fact that the same cruise lines accept any fully vaxxed passenger in Europe, indicates that the issue is in the US. So CDC? FDA? 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, willise said:

Our final payment is due in October for our January cruise. If NCL doesn't want our business, I'm sure we can find somewhere that does.

This has been discussed extensively in the r/cruise subreddit and most cruise lines won't take mixed vaccinated patrons

Just now, CruizinKittie40 said:

This has been discussed extensively in the r/cruise subreddit and most cruise lines won't take mixed vaccinated patrons

Perhaps - but reading through this thread, it seems like it's a recent change in policy for NCL. Either way, given the large number of people in Canada who are of mixed vaccine status, it does seem like a strange policy, especially that It only seems to apply to US ports. 

Just now, willise said:

Perhaps - but reading through this thread, it seems like it's a recent change in policy for NCL. Either way, given the large number of people in Canada who are of mixed vaccine status, it does seem like a strange policy, especially that It only seems to apply to US ports. 

that's because it has never been recommended to mix vaccinations here.  I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would do that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

that's because it has never been recommended to mix vaccinations here.  I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would do that. 

Because our Health department ok'd it, along with many other countries in the world. I don't think there is any way to spin this in a positive light for NCL. I can go to any of the Orlando theme parks but can't go on a cruise? Seems like a poor decision on NCL's part. 

Nonetheless, there are numerous other options. I won't be stuck 🙂

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

Same here, when I received my 1st Pfizer shot in early April, I was told that I had to come back to the same place and get the 2nd Pfizer shot there, too. So not only the same manufacturer, but the same venue for it (which was 30 miles away). I don't understand why Canada did things differently. In retrospect, it seems like a foolish idea. (But I'm not blaming the recipients by any means, they were just following the guidance they were given) 

39 minutes ago, willise said:

Because our Health department ok'd it, along with many other countries in the world. I don't think there is any way to spin this in a positive light for NCL. I can go to any of the Orlando theme parks but can't go on a cruise? Seems like a poor decision on NCL's part. 

Nonetheless, there are numerous other options. I won't be stuck 🙂

It was not NCL's decision, it was the CDC/FDA and now unfortunately most of the other cruise lines now have the same rule. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6302/

Edited by Cardex
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Same here, when I received my 1st Pfizer shot in early April, I was told that I had to come back to the same place and get the 2nd Pfizer shot there, too. So not only the same manufacturer, but the same venue for it (which was 30 miles away). I don't understand why Canada did things differently. In retrospect, it seems like a foolish idea. (But I'm not blaming the recipients by any means, they were just following the guidance they were given) 

I hope "they" don't start insisting that both shots be administered from the same location.  My first was from my health department, the second from my doctor's office.  This whole thing is getting stupid and sucks.