Purchasing Internet Package

Syracusefan44

There are also apps for your computer that let you send and receive texts. I've never used them, though. My carrier has coverage in Alaska, so I'll be able to call home and text from the ports. I'll otherwise use email to stay in touch as well as write a live thread here that DH can follow.

1 hour ago, Redwing55 said:

I think it was mentioned above, but I'm too lazy to start at the beginning. 

If one purchases a single internet package, one can still link numerous devices, correct?  It's just that only ONE device can be on the internet at any time.  I think that's what it was.  I can't believe that they would limit it to only one link for the cruise.  

So one can link a phone and a tablet, but only one device can access the internet at a time.

Correct. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

I think it was mentioned above, but I'm too lazy to start at the beginning. 

If one purchases a single internet package, one can still link numerous devices, correct?  It's just that only ONE device can be on the internet at any time.  I think that's what it was.  I can't believe that they would limit it to only one link for the cruise.  

So one can link a phone and a tablet, but only one device can access the internet at a time.

Yes - all good.  

ETA - duplicate confirm as I responded from previous page

Edited by Steelers36

So how do you order internet pre-cruise?? We cruise on 8/8. It’s not available on the app that I can see…and I don’t see it in the purchase options on Princess.com either. Do I have to call to get it ordered?

6 minutes ago, jbhermes said:

So how do you order internet pre-cruise?? We cruise on 8/8. It’s not available on the app that I can see…and I don’t see it in the purchase options on Princess.com either. Do I have to call to get it ordered?

Yes. That is what I did for my cruise two weeks after yours. The cost is $9.99 a day ($69.93 for a 7-day cruise). Platinum and Elite passengers will get back 50% in the form of onboard credit. 

• Like 2

One more question (famous last words ha!)...do you need a "MedallionNet" app to get online once on the ship? I couldn't find one in the app store.  I already have the MedallionClass app to get OceanReady, etc.  People keep referring to "MedallionNet" in this post.  We leave on 8/8!  So excited! "Life is short.  Take the trip."

On 7/25/2021 at 6:49 AM, PacnGoNow said:

This is current?  My cruise personalizer:

I have Princess Cellars and only shows wines, nothing beyond The Prisoner (blend).  What State are you in?

Tonna

When does your cruise depart? Most of us cannot see that information online on on the MC app. My cruise is February 2022 and I cannot see that yet among a LOT of other information. I am guessing that ones cruise needs to be within 4-5 months before it will be visible on the app and PC....but that's a WAG.😉

Doug

On 7/26/2021 at 2:09 PM, Syracusefan44 said:

I just purchased the internet thru my Princess Vacation Planner.  It is $9.99 for one device and $19.99 a day for the four device option.  

Since we are elite we will receive 50% off in the form of an onboard credit.  

Was that for only the 2021 cruise? Did you try to add it for your 2022 cruise?

22 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

When does your cruise depart? Most of us cannot see that information online on on the MC app. My cruise is February 2022 and I cannot see that yet among a LOT of other information. I am guessing that ones cruise needs to be within 4-5 months before it will be visible on the app and PC....but that's a WAG.😉

Doug

Our next one is Jan 2022.  I believe you can only see it for 2021 cruises.  PCL said recheck in November.  Lol

I said, I’d like to see it by final payment,

which Is October.  We’ll see.

26 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Doug

No, its not on the MC app, it’s on your cruise personalizer on the website.  Look up your cruise and go to onboard services, you’ll see Princess Cellars…

the last thing shown is Prisoner Wine…

then, should be liquors to order.  But, it only shows for 2021 cruises so far.  
Wanted to clarify…

3 hours ago, jbhermes said:

One more question (famous last words ha!)...do you need a "MedallionNet" app to get online once on the ship? I couldn't find one in the app store.  I already have the MedallionClass app to get OceanReady, etc.  People keep referring to "MedallionNet" in this post.  We leave on 8/8!  So excited! "Life is short.  Take the trip."

There is only the MedallionClass app which as I recall will access the paid MedallionNet internet system.

I recently read a post that the option to open a webpage to login to the internet & other limited functions was still an option in addition to the MC app. You’ll be boarding before me in the Fall so you’ll know if using a webpage is an alternative or not.

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

No, its not on the MC app, it’s on your cruise personalizer on the website.  Look up your cruise and go to onboard services, you’ll see Princess Cellars…

the last thing shown is Prisoner Wine…

then, should be liquors to order.  But, it only shows for 2021 cruises so far.  
Wanted to clarify…

Thanks. Looks like 2021 cruises can see the spirits section, not the 2022s yet...hopefully before final payment!

5 hours ago, jbhermes said:

On the MC FAQs webpage I found confirmation about the procedure to use MedallionNet without the app.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/ocean-faq/

What if I have trouble signing in or connecting to MedallionNet Wi-Fi?
Switch your mobile device to "Airplane Mode" in Settings. Turn on your Wi-Fi, and select "MedallionNet" as your Wi-Fi network. Then open a web browser and the page will launch. Click "get online now".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I am Platinum and talked with a Princess rep and ask about getting the wifi pkg for 50% off. My specific question to her was would it be the same price onboard as it is pre-cruise. She said yes it would. But reading here, it may not be. I was really only going to get the internet for like the last 5 days but don't want to pay more by waiting. I don't see on the Medallion app or personalizer where to even purchase the wifi pkg. We sail Aug 22nd.

I was just told by a live chat rep..that you can not purchase a internet pkg pre=cruise. It has to be purchased once onboard and the price will be $9.99 for 1 device and platinum/elite get 50% off this price. So you CAN NOT purchase ahead of time.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, P.A. said:

I was just told by a live chat rep..that you can not purchase a internet pkg pre=cruise. It has to be purchased once onboard and the price will be $9.99 for 1 device and platinum/elite get 50% off this price. So you CAN NOT purchase ahead of time.

That rep was incorrect.  I called 800 Princess to purchase my internet at $9.99 for x days with 50% as refundable OBC.  

But of course....things change daily.  I would make a phone call to have someone else help you.  There are two options:  1.  reserve internet and pay with Final Payment.  2.  order internet and pay the same day.  Not trusting Princess, I opted for #2.  It shows up on my Onboard Services as paid.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, P.A. said:

I purchased mine this week by calling. It's $69.93 for my 7-day cruise. I'll get 50% back in OBC. It's crazy that Princess took away this option online.

Edited by geoherb
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I purchased mine this week by calling. It's $69.93 for my 7-day cruise. I'll get 50% back in OBC. It's crazy that Princess took away this option online.

This ALL aggravates me! First because they took it away, secondly, because nobody knows the rules!! I went to copy and paste my conversation with the rep I chatted with and before I could do that, the conversation was gone! UGH!! I really want to wait til I get onboard because I don't need all 7 days! I am going to be SO mad if I get on there and it's more!😡

2 minutes ago, P.A. said:

This ALL aggravates me! First because they took it away, secondly, because nobody knows the rules!! I went to copy and paste my conversation with the rep I chatted with and before I could do that, the conversation was gone! UGH!! I really want to wait til I get onboard because I don't need all 7 days! I am going to be SO mad if I get on there and it's more!😡

I sympathize with your frustration. My purchase of the internet package actually was one of the easiest things I did this week. Dealing with my MedallionClass app problems was a lot worse. I spent a couple of hours on the phone to get them resolved. 

3 minutes ago, P.A. said:

From CC member posts, it seems as though it will be more expensive onboard AND you will not be allowed to purchase by the day.  I feel hostage to Princess for taking away this perk but decided $5/day was better than a higher price later.  Yes, again, there is nothing in writing.

2 hours ago, P.A. said:

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

From CC member posts, it seems as though it will be more expensive onboard AND you will not be allowed to purchase by the day.  I feel hostage to Princess for taking away this perk but decided $5/day was better than a higher price later.  Yes, again, there is nothing in writing.

The pricing on board is definitely higher.  For 1 device, it is $15/day instead of $10/day pre-cruise. 

You can buy individual days on board.  That price is $20.  So, do the math for $20 x #days you want internet for and compare that to $10/day x full cruise.  If you want internet for at least half the days, then just get it for whole cruise.  

I would phone in and pre-order it. 

The rep was wrong - UNLESS Princess has instituted a temporary policy to relieve guests of the on board price ($15) because of the MC App and pre-order issues and time for Princess CSR's to process.  That would be my educated guess if a recent change was made.

I have been interested to find out from the first Majestic cruise what the internet pricing was for on-board, but no one posting to the "Live From" answered it and it could be no one following it waited to board to order internet or they are on the PLUS package and doesn't matter. 

If I was unable to pre-order due to system bugs and such, I would be insisting on the $10 rate on board in any case.  They can always override or give an OBC to compensate. 

As for pre-ordering, the internet is going to be added to the MC App for pre-ordering.  I do not have a date.  Of course, they took it out of Cruise Personalizer prematurely or we could have continued to order it as before until MC App is ready. 

(Of course 50% discount applies to the list prices.  When pre-ordering, you get 50% back as refundable OBC.  When ordering on-board, you are charged the net amount).

Once it comes to the MC App, we will be charged the net amount if qualify for the discount.

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I have been interested to find out from the first Majestic cruise what the internet pricing was for on-board, but no one posting to the "Live From" answered it and it could be no one following it waited to board to order internet or they are on the PLUS package and doesn't matter. 

Me too!  As much as I appreciate people on that cruise taking their time to report on changes, this was one thing that I had hoped would be answered. I haven't read through all the many posts from that thread so maybe it is in there somewhere, but from your comment, I'm guessing not.

13 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

(Of course 50% discount applies to the list prices.  When pre-ordering, you get 50% back as refundable OBC.  When ordering on-board, you are charged the net amount).

Steelers, I always look forward to reading your internet/wifi posts. You always seem to get it right with no hyperbole. Happy that you are among us and willing to share your insights. 

If i'm interpreting your statement correctly, you are saying that there is no difference in net cost for plats/elites if the purchase is made pre-cruise or on board? Earlier posts I've seen have led me to believe that the net cost is lower by purchasing pre-cruise. 

Where am I going wrong here?

14 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The pricing on board is definitely higher.  For 1 device, it is $15/day instead of $10/day pre-cruise. 

You can buy individual days on board.  That price is $20.  So, do the math for $20 x #days you want internet for and compare that to $10/day x full cruise.  If you want internet for at least half the days, then just get it for whole cruise.  

I would phone in and pre-order it. 

The rep was wrong - UNLESS Princess has instituted a temporary policy to relieve guests of the on board price ($15) because of the MC App and pre-order issues and time for Princess CSR's to process.  That would be my educated guess if a recent change was made.

If I was unable to pre-order due to system bugs and such, I would be insisting on the $10 rate on board in any case.  They can always override or give an OBC to compensate. 

As for pre-ordering, the internet is going to be added to the MC App for pre-ordering.  I do not have a date.  Of course, they took it out of Cruise Personalizer prematurely or we could have continued to order it as before until MC App is ready. 

Once it comes to the MC App, we will be charged the net amount if qualify for the discount.

Another great example of how bad the Technical Staff responsible for implementing MC App is.  The whole bunch should be canned.  Medallion implementation was terrible from the start.  Took two years to get it working on just two ships -- Caribbean and Regal.  This poor leadership starts at the top Jan!!

For phone calls using the ships WiFi enable advanced calling features so you can call over WiFi. Free on the ship.

For sending texts from email you just have to know the phone number and the proper SMS Gateway address. Here are some of the more common ones:

T-Mobile – number@tmomail.net

Virgin Mobile – number@vmobl.com

AT&T – number@txt.att.net

Sprint – number@messaging.sprintpcs.com

Verizon – number@vtext.com

Tracfone – number@mmst5.tracfone.com

Ting – number@message.ting.com

Boost Mobile – number@myboostmobile.com

It's easy to Google for the proper address to use when texting from your email.

Edited by Thrak
  • Thanks 2