Seattle Flight Question

CTSandy

Cruising September 17 to September 24 this year on Millenium.  It’s been three years since I’ve flown out of SeaTac.  Our choices are a flight that leaves at 1:40 PM and a flight that leaves at 9:45 PM.  We would prefer the earlier flight but concerned about whether the timing will work.  We are sailing concierge so we will be off early.  Appreciate any input!

My goodness, you should be fine with that 1:40 flight.  Your ship is scheduled to dock at 6am and will likely be cleared by 7:30.  Even if you did not leave the pier until 10:30 you would still make your flight.  That being said you would want to allow some extra time so be on your way to the airport by 10.   I suspect your biggest problem will be how to kill lots of time at Seatac :).

Hank

• Like 1

Honestly, from SEATAC, I'd probably be more comfortable with a 1:40 pm flight than one late in the afternoon (unless you're rushing to the airport and plan on spending hours there...). I5 can turn into a nightmare, but you should be going against the commute until well after you check in for your flight, barring absolutely horrible traffic or accidents, getting to SEATAC in under an hour shouldn't be a problem (and if traffic is absolutely horrible, and you can more or less manage bags, there's the light rail that's not on I5). Probably flown out of there too many times, not on cruises, but with the time of day, HOV lane options, and a rail as an absolute bail out option, unless the ship is hours late, you should be fine.

(Global Entry/TSA Pre is all but mandatory at SEATAC...  Clear is even better.)

You should definitely be able to make the 1:40 PM flight.  A taxi to SeaTac will take about 30 minutes in average traffic, maybe up to an hour if traffic is heavy, which is often the case. SeaTac is a very busy airport and lines for both check-in and security are notoriously long, so I would plan to be there 3 hours before the flight.

Edited by nwcruiselover

I would say you definitely would have no trouble with a 1:40 Flight.    The problem may be what you do with all the time on your hand.   Even if you waited to be tossed off the ship at 9:00 you would probably be at your  gate no later than10:30.

Might be comfortable to pay for a Club pass and spend your time relaxing.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CTSandy said:

Cruising September 17 to September 24 this year on Millenium.  It’s been three years since I’ve flown out of SeaTac.  Our choices are a flight that leaves at 1:40 PM and a flight that leaves at 9:45 PM.  We would prefer the earlier flight but concerned about whether the timing will work.  We are sailing concierge so we will be off early.  Appreciate any input!

I'd opt for the earlier flight. The port is roughly 17 miles from the airport but you can expect heavy traffic and slow going, especially since you disembark on a work day. I'd plan no less than an hour travel time.

Take advantage of the free Seattle Port Authority Valet Service. We used it a few years ago and plan to again in 3 weeks.  Your luggage is picked up from outside your room and your boarding pass is printed and waiting for you in your room on the last night. You do need to sign up 2-3 days into the cruise so make sure to keep an eye out for the form that should be left in your room.  It’s very convenient not having to worry about finding your luggage and then dropping it off at the airport when you already feel stressed about making a flight. You can look up Seattle Port Authority valet service to make sure your airline participates. 

• Like 1

Great suggestion.   I've only been able to use it a couple times and loved it.   For whatever reason they have not allowed it on TA's and TP's which are most of our cruises.

It is so convenient and just happens to be a free perk for Zenith's (at least it use to be).

Thanks everyone for the input!  I have used the valet service on a couple of Caribbean cruises when I flew down to FLL on Southwest.  Wasn’t sure if they were offering it currently, will have to check if available.  Flying JetBlue and they were one of the airlines participating the last time I used it.  Yes, it’s great not having to deal with luggage - it was $25 last time I used it, but well worth it.  Again, appreciate the comments!

Seattle's Port Valet is a free service provided by the port.  If you take that 1:40 flight and use Port Valet, you could take a taxi or Uber to Pike Place Market and wander around for a couple of hours.  You could then walk to the light rail station and take the train to SeaTac.  Pretty perfect.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Seattle's Port Valet is a free service provided by the port.  If you take that 1:40 flight and use Port Valet, you could take a taxi or Uber to Pike Place Market and wander around for a couple of hours.  You could then walk to the light rail station and take the train to SeaTac.  Pretty perfect.

Without luggage, that's probably ideal. Have to do something with carry-ons, but the light rail southbound mid day is pretty easy...

🍸

I sincerely doubt you will have any issues getting to Airport.  If you are in a cab by 10:30 or 11:00am, you will be traveling against any commuter traffic.  From either pier 91 0r 66, you can take either 5-freeway South or Hwy 99 South.

I agree with a previous poster that Seatac has a bad reputation for long security lines.   

If you want to enjoy another day in Seattle, consider Port Valet and ride the link rail to the airport.

Public Transit: Link Light Rail | Port of Seattle (portseattle.org)

Port Valet - Enjoy Seattle Luggage Free! | Port of Seattle (portseattle.org)

Benefits of Port Valet:

• Receive your boarding pass before leaving your ship
  • Enjoy streamlined disembarkation
  • Enjoy Seattle luggage free!
  • Skip baggage lines at the airport
  • Track your bags for peace of mind

40 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

12 minutes ago, Sam.Seattle said:

🍸

I sincerely doubt you will have any issues getting to Airport.  If you are in a cab by 10:30 or 11:00am, you will be traveling against any commuter traffic.  From either pier 91 0r 66, you can take either 5-freeway South or Hwy 99 South.

I agree with a previous poster that Seatac has a bad reputation for long security lines.   

If you want to enjoy another day in Seattle, consider Port Valet and ride the link rail to the airport.

Public Transit: Link Light Rail | Port of Seattle (portseattle.org)

Port Valet - Enjoy Seattle Luggage Free! | Port of Seattle (portseattle.org)

Benefits of Port Valet:

• Receive your boarding pass before leaving your ship
  • Enjoy streamlined disembarkation
  • Enjoy Seattle luggage free!
  • Skip baggage lines at the airport
  • Track your bags for peace of mind

A funny yet sad story about the Link Light Rail...

MIL lived for years in Olympia. At some point, we started spending a night on the beginning or end of our visits in Seattle, flying into SeaTac. Link was absolutely dirt cheap. Didn't have a lot of luggage space, but unless you were going into Seattle at the same time as a Mariner's game (did that once!), it usually wasn't an issue. And the Link station was right in the parking garage.

We discovered that if we flew into SeaTac, caught Link into downtown, we could save enough on a rental car to pay for at least one night in a nice hotel. Cars were that crazy at the airport!

22 minutes ago, markeb said:

A funny yet sad story about the Link Light Rail...

MIL lived for years in Olympia. At some point, we started spending a night on the beginning or end of our visits in Seattle, flying into SeaTac. Link was absolutely dirt cheap. Didn't have a lot of luggage space, but unless you were going into Seattle at the same time as a Mariner's game (did that once!), it usually wasn't an issue. And the Link station was right in the parking garage.

We discovered that if we flew into SeaTac, caught Link into downtown, we could save enough on a rental car to pay for at least one night in a nice hotel. Cars were that crazy at the airport!

Excellent point to share!  I just looked at the Mariners schedule and they do have a home games on the 13th and 27th @ 7:10pm.  I guess if you are on Link by 5:00pm you would be fine.  

So nice to be having these problems and discussions!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, lovemygiants said:

Take advantage of the free Seattle Port Authority Valet Service. We used it a few years ago and plan to again in 3 weeks.  Your luggage is picked up from outside your room and your boarding pass is printed and waiting for you in your room on the last night. You do need to sign up 2-3 days into the cruise so make sure to keep an eye out for the form that should be left in your room.  It’s very convenient not having to worry about finding your luggage and then dropping it off at the airport when you already feel stressed about making a flight. You can look up Seattle Port Authority valet service to make sure your airline participates. 

I would use the luggage valet service.  Helps a lot.  Then would taxi or Uber to the light rail service.  Easy and more dependable.   Reason is today I-5 had a fatality accident.   5 HOUR delay with many locked on the freeway.  Light rail goes directly to the airport.  Comfortable and cheap too.

I used Luggage Valet in Seattle in 2019 and apparently my bag stayed on the ship for another cruise but during that time there was little recourse, as I'll explain below:

1)  Irreplaceable, if you use luggage valet, do not put anything irreplaceable in there; this includes souvenirs, consider buying small souvenirs that can be carried with you perhaps in a backpack.

2)  Insurance won't cover, Luggage Valet is a 3rd party called Bags Inc, therefore travel insurance (I used USAA) and my credit card (AMEX Platinum) both told me not to bother filing a lost baggage claim because X and airline didn't lose it, the 3rd party did which isn't covered.

3)  No help from X, X only had one option for lost luggage which is to file a claim with the "lost and found" dept.  I called Bags Inc who stated that the port never scanned the bag labels barcode therefore they believe it never made it off the ship.  X's attitude was if it shows up they'll let you know.

4) Emailing LLP, after reading her team is pretty responsive to emails I went ahead and emailed her explaining that Bags Inc thinks it's still on the ship and the disappointing response from X's lost and found.  I recommended that X be more involved in scanning/tracking process.  I didn't think I'd receive a reply or if I did they'd just refer me to the lost and found dept.  To my surprise, sure enough, I received an email from her team that they found the bag!  (See below)

5) X lost and found, a day after the email from LLP Exec Assistance that stated the bag was found, I receive a random email from the lost and found department stating was bag was STILL not found.

6) Summary, I'm sure 99% of the time, this works fine, as long as you don't put anything irreplaceable and understand insurance won't cover it, you'll probably be fine.  It was a nerve racking experience, landing at my home airport, waiting at the baggage carousel to stop, talking to the airline's lost luggage agent, calling Bags Inc, calling X, calling my insurance company, calling my credit card company and simply just waiting and wondering.  At least folks now know the "worse case scenario". I wonder if it would have even been found had I not emailed LLP.

image.png.596cc5810e4bc6789d067f848c5e345a.png

28 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Luggage Valet service is not currently available in FLL.  I wouldn't depend on it being available in Seattle when things restart.  Just consider it a bonus if it is available.

According to the Port of Seattle, this service is available.  I suggested "Port Valet" offered by the Port of Seattle and free, not Luggage Valet which is more airline specific. 

https://www.portseattle.org/page/port-valet-enjoy-seattle-luggage-free

Edited by Sam.Seattle
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I used Luggage Valet in Seattle in 2019 and apparently my bag stayed on the ship for another cruise but during that time there was little recourse, as I'll explain below:

1)  Irreplaceable, if you use luggage valet, do not put anything irreplaceable in there; this includes souvenirs, consider buying small souvenirs that can be carried with you perhaps in a backpack.

2)  Insurance won't cover, Luggage Valet is a 3rd party called Bags Inc, therefore travel insurance (I used USAA) and my credit card (AMEX Platinum) both told me not to bother filing a lost baggage claim because X and airline didn't lose it, the 3rd party did which isn't covered.

3)  No help from X, X only had one option for lost luggage which is to file a claim with the "lost and found" dept.  I called Bags Inc who stated that the port never scanned the bag labels barcode therefore they believe it never made it off the ship.  X's attitude was if it shows up they'll let you know.

4) Emailing LLP, after reading her team is pretty responsive to emails I went ahead and emailed her explaining that Bags Inc thinks it's still on the ship and the disappointing response from X's lost and found.  I recommended that X be more involved in scanning/tracking process.  I didn't think I'd receive a reply or if I did they'd just refer me to the lost and found dept.  To my surprise, sure enough, I received an email from her team that they found the bag!  (See below)

5) X lost and found, a day after the email from LLP Exec Assistance that stated the bag was found, I receive a random email from the lost and found department stating was bag was STILL not found.

6) Summary, I'm sure 99% of the time, this works fine, as long as you don't put anything irreplaceable and understand insurance won't cover it, you'll probably be fine.  It was a nerve racking experience, landing at my home airport, waiting at the baggage carousel to stop, talking to the airline's lost luggage agent, calling Bags Inc, calling X, calling my insurance company, calling my credit card company and simply just waiting and wondering.  At least folks now know the "worse case scenario". I wonder if it would have even been found had I not emailed LLP.

image.png.596cc5810e4bc6789d067f848c5e345a.png

•  

I suppose we all have a story or heard a story of lost luggage.  Sorry you had this experience.

I have had my luggage opened twice after checking it with the airline and several items were taken. 

I also checked a mobility scooter with British Airlines on a non stop flight to London.  I personally sat  Mom's scooter on the conveyer belt.  The scooter never showed up in London and we had to rent another scooter.  1-month later the scooter was delivered to our home.

On a positive note, we were on a family holiday cruise with a ton of luggage (and the scooter).  We left 1-large suitcase in the LA World Cruise terminal (Port of LA)  and did not realize the suite case was left behind when we got to LAX.  After a couple of phone calls, we just resided to the idea someone picked up our luggage.  A few days later I received a call from the port and they found the suit case.  This was a few years back and they shipped the luggage to my doorstep cheaper than the cost of checking the bag with the airline.