Type of Covid vaccine requirement

carribbound

So, we booked for February and are just now realizing that Carnival has a vaccine type requirement. They do not consider Johnson and Johnson a qualifying vaccine and have strict guidelines if you are approved an exemption. Has anyone encountered it and how did you handle it?

Just now, carribbound said:

So, we booked for February and are just now realizing that Carnival has a vaccine type requirement. They do not consider Johnson and Johnson a qualifying vaccine and have strict guidelines if you are approved an exemption. Has anyone encountered it and how did you handle it?

Yes, Carnival accepts the J&J a.k.a. Janssen one-shot vaccine.  If the CDC considers you vaccinated, then you are vaccinated.

They discuss/mention mixing of two-shot vaccines purely due to the only acceptable mix being Moderna+Pfizer right now.  That is a separate issue.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, carribbound said:

Where did you hear that? J&J vaccine has been approved by CDC, and that does satisfy Carnival's vaccine TIA requirements. Can you post a link where you learned that?

• Like 2

That was what I was referring to:

If you have received a two-dose vaccine, it must be both of the same type, with the exception of Moderna + Pfizer as the only mized-dose combo allowed.  This because neither the CDC nor WHO recognize the mixing of any other combo.

If you have received a one-dose vaccine (J&J), then you are ok - it is approved by the CDC.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, carribbound said:

Maybe I misunderstood. They are talking about two doses here. I thought they were saying you needed a two dose series. Am I interpreting this incorrectly?

0D5932DC-D524-49B3-9DC5-8D75EAE3FD28.jpeg

Who is "they"?

Where did that post come from but either way its only clarifying things for those who have the 2 vaccine type. J&J is one dose and is OK

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BoozinCroozin said:

What this means is the CDC requires two of the same brand IF you have the two dose variety. You can't mix Pfizer and Moderns in the US. this is what has the Canadians concerned. Canada allowed mixing of doses.

This is why it is so confusing.

Pfizer and Moderna CAN BE mixed because they are the same TYPE of vaccine (MRNA).

The issue is that Astra Zeneca and J and J are Vector vaccines, aka a DIFFEERENT TYPE.

Some Canadians (like me) have Astra Zeneca (vector) as their first dose and Pfizer or Moderna (MRNA) as their second.

Based on CDC requirements they are both 2 dose vaccines and thus are not the same TYPE.

(I swear to god we all deserve honorary medical degrees in trying to figure out vaccines just to cruise 🙂

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, webzila said:

Who is "they"?

Where did that post come from but either way its only clarifying things for those who have the 2 vaccine type. J&J is one dose and is OK

THEY is Carnival.

When people are asking questions about Carnival policies many people just copy and paste from the Carnival website.

All the information is on the Carnival website.

4 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

THEY is Carnival.

When people are asking questions about Carnival policies many people just copy and paste from the Carnival website.

All the information is on the Carnival website.

The post that was provided as example doesn't look like anything Carnival would post on their website...using references like 'They' in the post itself...Hence the question of where that came from.

Reference the source with links...but that's a question for OP and not you.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, webzila said:

The post that was provided as example doesn't look like anything Carnival would post on their website...using references like 'They' in the post itself...Hence the question of where that came from.

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols

I would argue the issue is that people aren't going to the Carnival website and reading. They are asking in here without trying to go to the Carnival website.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, webzila said:

It is the Carnival website page for that topic (COVID-19 Guest Protocols), screenshot from a phone I suspect.

It looked familiar, so I knew what the source was as soon as I saw it.

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_052521

• Like 2

3 hours ago, carribbound said:

Maybe I misunderstood. They are talking about two doses here. I thought they were saying you needed a two dose series. Am I interpreting this incorrectly?

0D5932DC-D524-49B3-9DC5-8D75EAE3FD28.jpeg

As others have said, you are misinterpreting. Johnson and Johnson does not require two doses, so that is irrelevant.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I would argue the issue is that people aren't going to the Carnival website and reading. They are asking in here without trying to go to the Carnival website.

Then "They" get the advice they are paying for....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, K_e_short said:

This is why it is so confusing.

Pfizer and Moderna CAN BE mixed because they are the same TYPE of vaccine (MRNA).

The issue is that Astra Zeneca and J and J are Vector vaccines, aka a DIFFEERENT TYPE.

Some Canadians (like me) have Astra Zeneca (vector) as their first dose and Pfizer or Moderna (MRNA) as their second.

Based on CDC requirements they are both 2 dose vaccines and thus are not the same TYPE.

(I swear to god we all deserve honorary medical degrees in trying to figure out vaccines just to cruise 🙂

In the US, it is very simple:

1. Pfizer (first dose)/Pfizer (second dose)

2. Moderna (first dose)/Moderna (second dose) 

3. J&J (only one dose)

There are no other approved methods. Until Novavax is approved, the above are the only options.

Edited by BoozinCroozin

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

In the US, it is very simple:

1. Pfizer (first dose)/Pfizer (second dose)

2. Moderna (first dose)/Moderna (second dose) 

3. J&J (only one dose)

There are no other approved methods. Until Novavax is approved, the above are the only options.

4.  Moderna and Pfizer mix (1 of each) are also acceptable.

There's a boatload of Barbados islanders waiting to cruise

when Carnival finally reinstates their Southern Caribbean route.

A Boatload!

That boatload of us are all AstraZeneca vaccinated

so a clarification from Carnival will be necessary

before any of us plunk down our hard-earned money

only to be denied boarding..?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

There's a boatload of Barbados islanders waiting to cruise

when Carnival finally reinstates their Southern Caribbean route.

A Boatload!

That boatload of us are all AstraZeneca vaccinated

so a clarification from Carnival will be necessary

before any of us plunk down our hard-earned money

only to be denied boarding..?

And the clarification needs to come from the CDC, before Carnival accepts AstraZeneca. Both AstraZeneca and Novavax are still in trials for U.S. approval, which is why the CDC doesn't permit the mix of AstraZencea  for Canadian cruisers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crewsweeper said:

And the clarification needs to come from the CDC, before Carnival accepts AstraZeneca.

I thought the standard was that the vaccine was accepted by the WHO. And AstraZeneca is accepted by them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I thought the standard was that the vaccine was accepted by the WHO. And AstraZeneca is accepted by them. 

The CDC has it's own standards.  The WHO (great classic rock group; not so great medical group)if it had it's initial way would NOT have anyone taking a vaccine.

2 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

LOL - SO many things yet to be straightened out!

Until then, my money's safe in the Bank!

Earning more than 0.002%, I hope.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Earning more than 0.002%, I hope.

It's earning even less than that! - lol
Interest paid is not even a factor any more....

but it's safe in MY Bank, not in Carnival's Bank
and that's the important bit!

• Like 1

(red indicates info copied directly from website)

Do you accept any kind of vaccine?

Any vaccine approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO).

Is Astra Zeneca approved by the WHO?

WHO also listed the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine for emergency use on 31 December 2020; two AstraZeneca/Oxford COVID-19 vaccines on 15 February 2021, produced by AstraZeneca-SKBio (Republic of Korea) and the Serum Institute of India; and COVID-19 vaccine Ad26.COV2.S developed by Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) on 12 March 2021.

https://www.who.int/news/item/07-05-2021-who-lists-additional-covid-19-vaccine-for-emergency-use-and-issues-interim-policy-recommendations

Then the CDC recognizes it as long as:

To be considered fully vaccinated, you must have received the full series of an FDA or WHO authorized COVID-19 vaccine, or a combination of authorized vaccines, and have received your last dose at least 14 days prior to the day of embarkation.

Meaning you need to have TWO doses of Astra Zeneca.

The issue involves those that had Astra Zeneca and Pfizer or Moderna. They are two types of vaccines and the CDC and WHO and FDA do not recognize that.

Now I would call Carnival to confirm though 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

(red indicates info copied directly from website)

Do you accept any kind of vaccine?

Any vaccine approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO).

Is Astra Zeneca approved by the WHO?

WHO also listed the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine for emergency use on 31 December 2020; two AstraZeneca/Oxford COVID-19 vaccines on 15 February 2021, produced by AstraZeneca-SKBio (Republic of Korea) and the Serum Institute of India; and COVID-19 vaccine Ad26.COV2.S developed by Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) on 12 March 2021.

https://www.who.int/news/item/07-05-2021-who-lists-additional-covid-19-vaccine-for-emergency-use-and-issues-interim-policy-recommendations

Then the CDC recognizes it as long as:

To be considered fully vaccinated, you must have received the full series of an FDA or WHO authorized COVID-19 vaccine, or a combination of authorized vaccines, and have received your last dose at least 14 days prior to the day of embarkation.

Meaning you need to have TWO doses of Astra Zeneca.

The issue involves those that had Astra Zeneca and Pfizer or Moderna. They are two types of vaccines and the CDC and WHO and FDA do not recognize that.

Now I would call Carnival to confirm though 🙂

So I was correct when I mentioned approved by the WHO. It says CDC or WHO, which really translates to the WHO since every vaccine approved by the CDC is on the WHO list, but not vice versa.

• Like 2