CDC Covid-19 status for Princess ships

caribill

• Green status means the ship has no reports of cases of COVID-19 or COVID-19-like illness.
  • Orange status means the ship has reported cases of COVID-19 but is below the threshold for CDC investigation.
  • Yellow status means the ship has met the threshold for CDC investigation because the ship has met one of the following criteria:
    • at or above the investigation threshold for crew COVID-19 cases,
    • at or above the investigation threshold for passenger COVID-19 cases; or
    • state or local health department notified CDC of passenger COVID-19 cases occurring within 5 days of disembarkation.
  • Red status means the ship is at or above the threshold for passenger and crew COVID-19 cases. Based on CDC’s investigation, additional precautions, such as returning to port immediately or delaying the next voyage, will be taken if it is suspected that continuing normal operations may subject on board travelers or newly arriving travelers to disease.

Princess Cruises Caribbean Princess Crew Only Green N/A
Coral Princess Crew Only Green N/A
Emerald Princess Crew Only Green N/A
Grand Princess Crew Only Orange CDC is monitoring.
Majestic Princess Crew Only (approved for restricted) Orange CDC is monitoring.
Royal Princess Crew Only Green N/A
Ruby Princess Crew Only Green N/A
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Alaskanb said:

Wonder what Orange means for Majestic? 

Copied from post #1: Orange status means the ship has reported cases of COVID-19 but is below the threshold for CDC investigation.

24 minutes ago, Grover_ said:

Majestic Princess is now “yellow status” per the cdc now.  

and CDC has started an investigation.  Does not sound like good news for a cruise ship that supposed to depart Seattle in four days.

• Like 1

• Yellow status means the ship has met the threshold for CDC investigation because the ship has met one of the following criteria:
    • at or above the investigation threshold for crew COVID-19 cases,
    • at or above the investigation threshold for passenger COVID-19 cases; or
    • state or local health department notified CDC of passenger COVID-19 cases occurring within 5 days of disembarkation.

@caribillthanks for posting. As I am hoping to sail on Majestic in 3 days (not4) I read through a bit of the linked document. Here’s what I found that let me know this may be nothing to worry about. I’ve copied the relevant parts that support my thesis. 

It’s important to realize that the definition of a covid case for determining color status includes individuals with negative or repeated inconclusive test results if they have covid like symptoms that can’t be attributed to a known illness such as the flu or allergies. If you read the definition of covid like symptoms a person who has diarrhea or vomiting who is also tired would check the box as a covid case even though they had a neg/inconclusive test. 

Under Yellow ship criteria, we see the designation is given if either 1% of crew classify as a case or they screwed up and didn’t send in their paperwork. 

Am I a little worried? Maybe a tish. But I’m thinking it’s more along the lines of idiopathic cases that fit the definition of covid like symptoms. If there’s not enough viral load to test positive I’m not concerned with transmission as these crew will be quarantined from us. 

Definition of a COVID-19 Case for the Purpose of Ship’s Color Status

• A positive viral test result for COVID-19 in any traveler (passenger or crew member)
  • COVID-19-like illness in any traveler (passenger or crew member) with:
    • a negative or repeatedly inconclusive/invalid test result (i.e., never able to register a positive or negative result) for COVID-19 and with no other laboratory-confirmed respiratory pathogens (e.g., influenza, respiratory syncytial virus, Legionella, Streptococcal pharyngitis), or
    • an unavailable test result (e.g., traveler refuses to be tested, testing resources unavailable onboard).
  • The following persons are not included when determining a ship’s color status:
    • passengers who test positive on day of embarkation who do not board the ship, or
    • newly embarking crew members who test positive during quarantine.

[2] COVID-19-like illness clinical criteria include the following:

• Persons with at least one or more of the following symptoms: fever, cough, difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, new olfactory disorder, or new taste disorder; OR
  • Persons with at least two or more of the following symptoms: sore throat, nasal congestion, runny nose (rhinorrhea), chills, rigors, muscle or body aches (myalgias), headache, fatigue, vomiting, or diarrhea …in the absence of a non-infectious diagnosis as determined by the ship’s physician (e.g., allergies); OR
  • Persons with severe respiratory illness with at least one of the following:
    • Clinical or radiographic evidence of pneumonia,
    • Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS).

Yellow Ship Criteria

• Ship is at or above CDC’s investigation threshold:
    • Restricted Voyages:
      • Cases reported in 0.10% or more of passengers (e.g., if 6500* passengers on board, CDC’s investigation threshold is met if there are 7 or more cases among passengers occurring during the previous 7 days), or
        • This percentage includes passenger cases occurring within 5 days of disembarkation that CDC was notified of by state or local health departments.
      • One or more cases reported in crew.
    • Simulated Voyages:
      • Cases reported in 1.5% or more of passengers, or
      • Cases reported in 1.0% or more of crew.
    • Ships with Crew Only (i.e., not yet submitted requests for simulated voyages or applications for restricted voyages, pending CDC approval, or sailing at a later date).
      • Cases reported in 1.0% or more of crew.
    • OR
  • During the past 7 days, the ship failed to submit one or more daily EDC submissions on time (by 1200 ET). On a weekly basis, CDC emails all ships a reminder to submit the EDC form. In addition, CDC sends a reminder email if a ship does not submit their EDC form.
Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

in response to the CDC Yellow code for Majestic my PVP said his supervisor gave the following response. 

Hi Jacqueline,

Our activation cruise was just completed TODAY and the CDC has just given us the green light to sail. The website color system is based on old data and we are in touch with the CDC about updating their website.

I have no further information at this time as to when their website will be updated. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sfkaren said:

I do wonder how up to date the CDC information is. If my memory serves me correct the Celebrity Edge had a Red status when she started sailing with passengers.

Correct, it was actually red for like almost 3 weeks. And then CDC changed the color code system about a week or two ago. So I would assume that that red is equivalent to what the yellow represents now. The reason for the edge on red was because one crew member tested positive. And we all know reality is on any form of travel you do especially in a s*** you'll have over 3,500 + people between passengers and crew I'm bored a ship, so it's impossible to always have zero cases aboard.

All these cruise lines are doing the very best and following all the protocols they have in place. So I'm personally not too concerned.

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

in response to the CDC Yellow code for Majestic my PVP said his supervisor gave the following response. 

Hi Jacqueline,

Our activation cruise was just completed TODAY and the CDC has just given us the green light to sail. The website color system is based on old data and we are in touch with the CDC about updating their website.

I have no further information at this time as to when their website will be updated. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Thanks for sharing.  So looking forward to following along on your sailing.  

Since it may not be as easy to find crew members with their masks, I figured I would make it easier and let you that Jovie is at the Princess live Bar. 

3 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Hi Jacqueline,

Cheers,

I sure hope it was an input error, otherwise all of us waiting to board in the next couple of weeks may be disappointed.

image.png.ddf1c6eea16b7eea32ab49c86914bbac.png

Edited by azbirdmom

The CDC page shows the Majestic Princess as a "Restricted" voyage type, which (as @HaveDogWillTravel noted earlier) means the threshold for yellow status is "One or more cases reported in crew."  That's a low bar!

It looks like several of the other ships currently doing "Restricted" voyages are in similar shape.

1 hour ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Thanks for sharing.  So looking forward to following along on your sailing.  

Since it may not be as easy to find crew members with their masks, I figured I would make it easier and let you that Jovie is at the Princess live Bar. 

I actually recognized Jovie from previous cruises. She has an infectious personality. I am looking forward to seeing her again. 

Interesting.  And maybe I am mis-understanding...
Last year, after we got off the Coral princess where we had several passengers die, it did not appear that the CDC investigated.  So many of us got off the ship and then tested positive but neither Princess nor the CDC contacted us.

Edited by suzyed