The Daily for Thursday July 29, 2021

richwmn

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

Welcome Rotterdam to the HAL fleet.

Nice selection of food and drink today.

Interesting quote.

We have never been to today's port.

It is 60°F and light rain.

We have come to Lake Windermere and had a lovely meal in a hotel with views of the Lake.

Best wishes to everyone.

Graham

IMG_20210729_123635.jpg

IMG_20210729_121259.jpg

IMG_20210729_120846.jpg

IMG_20210729_120836.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. It looks like it’s going to be a stormy day today. I haven’t worn makeup or lipstick since the pandemic started back in March of 2020. I really like today’s quote. Sam being able to use a cane instead of a walker has really caused a lot of positive excitement around here. Today is his last home OT appointment. Things are progressing, not quickly enough for Sam, but we have so much to be grateful for. If only I can get the copy machine to work.

The variant situation is very upsetting. I can’t imagine what will happen when the under 12 year old unvaccinated children return to school.

Carol

• Like 26

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I hope lip balm counts, because that is all I wear now. It is tinted, but oh so moisturizing. Tigers are magnificent creatures that belong in the wild. Three cheers for the Rotterdam!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family!
Terry, @smitty34877, Camilla is clearly pissed that the doctors changed their minds again. She is gorgeous and it is great to know that the experts expect her to outgrow her heart rate issue. Sort of like a bad habit.

Today I finally visit an orthopedic doctor here in the States. In a bizarre turn of events this appointment is one day earlier than the “earliest” one I could get when I called last week.  That one was canceled Tuesday evening, when it was discovered I have a knee issue and that doctor does not do knees. Really - my primary doctor’s referral clearly states knee fracture. Sigh. I am hoping he just confirms I am on the right track. May want an X-ray of his own.  But at least I will be under someone’s care besides Bindi’s. Though she gets me moving. 

We have a white wine everyone!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Bodega Burdigala Rueda Campo Elíseo Cuvée Alegre 2018

This is a very elusive white wine. You just might have to travel to Spain to try it. It sounds delightful. I found a couple of European distributors online for the 2019 vintage - the one from Spain offering it for $15.13. I can just imagine the cost to ship. 

Winemaker Notes

#88 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

Beautiful yellow robe with glints of gold. An intense nose, fresh and grassy. Notes of ripe white-fleshed fruit, freshly cut hay and dried flowers. On the palate it is structured and viscous with a good balance. It is long on the finish with an interesting aromatic complexity.

WS90 Wine Spectator: This rich white shows lively flavors of pineapple and quince, backed by tangerine acidity and deepened by notes of vanilla and spice. A fruit-centered style that remains bright and balanced.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Today I finally visit an orthopedic doctor here in the States. In a bizarre turn of events this appointment is one day earlier than the “earliest” one I could get when I called last week.

Best of luck with your appointment today.  I hope you get a full thumbs up by the surgeon 🙏🏻 

That white sounds lovely.  I’m making note for our visit to Spain next year 😄 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Tigers are beautiful and certainly deserve their own special day.  I like chicken wings, especially salt & pepper wings - yum!  I have way more lipsticks than anyone I know, and yes, I wear lipstick every day.  LOL

A great quote to try to live by, focusing on the future, something we all need to do these days.   Today's drink of the day is one of my favourite cocktails - as listed, or the grapefruit version.  I can't wait to be served one on a BHB.

Another hot day on the "frozen tundra", hopefully the last really hot one for a few days.  The heat and humidity really saps my energy, so I need to get the outdoor things done early.  I have a few things to pick up, so will time my shopping early as well to get home before the temps really start to climb.

There was some good news from HAL for Canadians who are hoping to take a cruise out of Europe this fall - they will recognize people who have had a dose of Astra Zeneca vaccine and an MRNA vaccine as being fully vaccinated.  I know there were a few people on our roll call thread who had that worry hanging over their heads.

I really didn't have anything in mind for dinner tonight, so I think I will take out a pkg of chicken wings and toss them into the air fryer.  Along with a crudite tray and a couple of dips, that will make a light meal for us on a hot summer's night.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses together to say Cheers to all on the happy list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 28

@cat shepard, I  hope  all  goes  well  with  the  Ortho  Doc. I  am  very  much  enjoying  your  trip  report  and  am  so  glad  you  were  able  to  carry  on  in  spite  of  the  injury.

@kazu, thank  you  for  the  beautiful  pictures of  your  lovely  garden. I  hope  the  news  improves for  your  friends' husband.

@Horizon chaser 1957,  I  think  your  fabric  work  is  just beautiful and  hope  you  can  forget  about  the  "negative Nellies" that  upset  you. I  would  be  an  Etsy  customer  for  sure!

@mamaofami, I  am  so  glad  Sam  has  progressed  to using  a  cane. He  is  really  doing  so  well.

Terry

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Nice days. I like tigers and wings. I haven't been wearing lipstick due to masks, just lip balm, but did before Covid.

Great quote.

I like the meal, drink and wine.

Welcome to the fleet Rotterdam! 

I haven't been to today's port.

I'm early today as I'm heading to a Rheumatology appointment. They manage immune meds for my chronic eye issue. We're expecting storms this afternoon, so I hope I can run to the grocery store after my appointment, before the skies open up.

@smitty34877 So sorry Camilla didn't get to go home, but hoping she will soon. Cute picture!

@kazu Beautiful flowers.

@cat shepard Good luck with your appointment today.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone, as variant cases rise.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning All.  Nice collection of days today.  I have an unopened three-pack of Lancome lipstick purchased on my Last Voyage, which was to Mexico in January 2020.  I intend to bust it out on my first Post-Pandemic Voyage in September.  (For anyone who read the posts on the other thread about the gunky lipstick samples on NA, they were gross and gunky in January 2020, too.  In need of a change even then.)  💄

@kazu, your garden is wonderful.  All those seedlings come to life!  Here in So Cal, I'm already doing some "tear-down" of my garden.  It's ragged already.  One time, we did a TA from Fort Lauderdale all the way up to Copenhagen, via many UK stops.  It was amazing to experience fresh spring bloom for over a month as we progressed from south to north.  I'd like to do that again, 'tho it was probably one of those magical things of timing -- hard to get right twice.

@grapau27, you've taught me something new.  When dining out, we never think to go to a hotel restaurant.  But of course they have the most wonderful locations and views, so perfect way to enjoy the amenities.  Thank you for sharing.

@smitty34877, Baby Camilla is beautiful and looking more mature every day.  She will be home soon!

@cat shepard , good luck with your appointment.  Seems like it's always rocky getting on the correct medical track, but once the gears get in place, care is excellent.  Hang in there!

Thank you Rich & Company for the wonderful Daily.  Sending prayers to those in need and cheers to those experiencing happier times.  Wishing a very lovely day to All.  🌹  🌻  🌷

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today Rotterdam officially becomes part of the Holland America Fleet!

A live stream of the Rotterdam handover ceremony is at 9:30am PT/ 12:30pm ET via the Fincantieri YouTube channel >> https://*****/37b2C72 (Found this on HAL’s FB page, but I can’t figure out how to see the live stream. Maybe as time gets closer.)

• Like 10

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is International Tiger Day, National Chicken Wing Day, and National Lipstick Day

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new -- Dan Millman"

Meal suggestion for today - Ham and Swiss Sliders

Drink of the Day - Cosmopolitan

Wine of the day - Bodega Burdigala Rueda Campo Elíseo Cuvée Alegre 2018

Destination of the Day - Ny Alesund Spitsbergen Norway

Ships with Passengers

Ketchikan
Nieuw Amsterdam 07:00 - 13:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination Los Angeles eta 8/3
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0729World.thumb.png.a3b47cc831ebb41174aef21b4964b78f.png

Rich thanks for the Daily fleet report and the maps.  I hope someone publishes the link to Ketchikan.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  Tigers are a great but endangered species.  I do enjoy chicken wings.  A salute to Chicken Wings and Nieuw Amsterdam getting a fresh supply.  I love the Millman quote.  Ny Alesund is a great port; I visited on Prinsendam in 2011.  Ham and Cheese Sliders sound nice.  My alternative is Fruit Cup Au Naturel, Chicken Consume Millefanti, and Roast Chicken Gremolata as served on MS Prinsendam July 29, 2011.

Today’s care list:

RIP FF Thomas Royds last alarm 7/24/21
RIP Hflors DH
RIP atexsix’s “adopted brother”
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU(hopefully not long
DurangoScots shelter manager in hospital (but out of ICU}
Kazu’s friend with fall and brain bleed
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV recovering from eye surgery
Ger_77's friend facing mastectomy
Sharon’s mother having PET scan and prayers for a good result

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Nieuw Amsterdam in Ketchikan
Rotterdam “Coming out”

Front Line Health Care Workers
A new pool for Dfish
2-day countdown for CrazyForCats
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Sam walking with cane
Welcome rain for durangoscots and lindaler
Cruising-along friend’s recovery from breakthrough Covid
Garlictown feeling better
Good news on Vict0riann’s cousin’s daughter
Smoke moderating for bennybear
Denise on her wilderness adventure
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for the lists, Roy.  I like your alternative meal. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

I'm hoping the thunder bumpers hold off until after my pool time.  We shall see.  Otherwise, the gardens will love it.  After the pool this morning, I have a pedicure scheduled.   It is so nice to be able to have my feet cared for.  

We decided that our Alaskan cruise in September is going to be all about pampering.  Sue and Donna are having pedicures while I am doing acupuncture.   They could only take two at at time for the pedicures, so they will have to just talk about me.  I also booked us the thermal suite.  That will be nice after a day of whale watching.  

Today's meal sounds like a good one for watching the Olympics or football this fall.  

https://damndelicious.net/2020/02/14/ham-and-swiss-sliders/

Ham-and-Swiss-SlidersIMG_1191.thumb.jpg.49e1b3f01b42e0b5cf37c20ccbbf5c92.jpg

Ham-and-Swiss-SlidersIMG_1199.thumb.jpg.62df4c077196dc530bca5446fd1c274f.jpg

Looks Tasty.

• Like 5

Not sure who initially selects the day tributes but I decree this National Chief’s Day because I woke up on this side of the grass and I’m eternally grateful!

Thanks for the Daily and I’m looking forward to reading all your contributions.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Happy Thursday.  Love Tigers, they are so beautiful.  Chicken wings are really good, and I don't own a tube of lipstick.  Haven't worn any since I was a teen.  And woohoo I board the Rotterdam in 156 days, 16 hrs. and 19 minutes.  LOL  I try to live the Millman quote everyday.  The meal sounds good, will have to go buy rolls.

Have never been to Norway, looking forward to the photo's.

Prayers and virtual hugs to our care list and a big 🍸toast to our celebrations.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  Things are getting nasty again.

Cosmopolitan:

A cosmopolitan, or informally a cosmo, is a cocktail made with vodka, triple sec, cranberry juice, and freshly squeezed or sweetened lime juice. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz Vodka Citron, 1 oz Cranberry juice, 1/2 oz Cointreau, 1/2 oz Fresh lime juice
Preparation: Add all ingredients into cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well and double strain into large cocktail glass. Garnish with lime wheel.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Standard garnish: Lemon slice, Lime wedge
Drinkware: Cocktail glass

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 7.37.31 AM.png

I hope you are getting over the shingles.  Another new drink,.  In my 81 years, I have never hsd this drink.  Never heard of it before.

• Like 6

Iceland - the saga continues…

Let’s start today’s episode with a picture taken by one of my fellow travelers. She stayed up until midnight to capture the most amazing sunset over the fjord. 

DF4AF4BC-650E-4B90-82FF-0A43462C5B33.thumb.jpeg.2c64ed86f82941251438042a67eddda0.jpeg

Note: the field of marshmallows in front of the Sveinbjarnargerdi Country Hotel.  I am fairly certain that this hotel took the prize for the most difficult to pronounce name. Most of us took one look at it and said “the hotel”. They probably do not have to worry about trademarks or copyright issues. 

6DC49BEA-D048-413D-96AF-1361C78E0F90.thumb.jpeg.071737b9d5ac9db80cd5e0edb3cc8654.jpeg

649D9B79-AC1B-4CB1-8A71-00859439B382.thumb.jpeg.992647df9c1c60c8756ffcc705e4f085.jpeg

It was another early morning -  our day would be jammed with some of Iceland’s most amazing features.  Breakfast at 7 was helped along by wonderful coffee and an amazing buffet. I was becoming addicted to Skyr - Iceland’s contribution to the world of yogurt.  I plopped some peanut butter on top of their moist, almost rich brown bread, and filled my plate with fruit from Iceland’s greenhouses. They even grow bananas and pineapples in Iceland!  I added some of the fruit to the yogurt, for some extra flavor. And enjoyed coffee #2. Note the pictures of the Hidden People in the dining room. Perhaps making sure we did not go back for thirds!

E37138ED-2A23-46CF-8241-1C684F76B575.thumb.jpeg.7ceaa5af12500edd3fb6c588e988dac1.jpeg

It was a bit cool now, but the predicted high was 75-77 AND sunny!  I was wearing a T-shirt & capris topped by my fleece hoodie.  Thank goodness for my Tevas, there was no way I could get my hiking shoe on with my cast. And luckily my smart wool socks would keep my feet warm, even if they got wet. 

We left so early that we were almost the only folk at our first stop - Godafoss.  The waterfall made famous, when one of Iceland’s early leaders was given the assignment of how to handle their conversion to Christianity as demanded by their Danish monarch. We could learn a great deal from this man. Not one drop of blood was shed. He simply threw his statues of the Norse gods over this waterfall - hence Godafoss, and told his fellow countrymen they could worship any way they wanted in the privacy of their own homes. In public - it had to be Christianity. 

3A428C7F-9F8F-4AF4-AD30-DA9F0B71819B.thumb.jpeg.e3a066bac81bfae327d3f9a26cdb4f93.jpeg

01C6B3B0-C088-49FA-B96C-6F5350595397.thumb.jpeg.54052d6998ca188d80b26e48a931dcb9.jpeg

Next stop the “lava bowls”. Really steam bowls, but lava bowls sound so much more dramatic. These bowl shaped depressions were formed when the steam created by the meeting of magma and cold water caused the earth to expand, then collapse on itself, when the steam cooled.  I do not have one picture.  I could not scale the steps up to the lava bowls. The drainage holes on each step were bigger than the bottom of my crutches. I was wearing my bug netting (thanks to  @dfish - Debbie told me there would be midges, and there were. Lots! I had gifted the three folk in my travel group a netting of their own. No one laughed at us on the walk back. No one!  Then a stop for snacks, near a not so subtle statement that Iceland valued all its law abiding citizens. 
D3CB7FEE-3589-435D-9CA0-FF44C04C8646.thumb.jpeg.eb3315b62553023653bbd56d7210564e.jpeg

We were told to stock up on food, because it would be some time before our next snack stop. 

By now the sun was out in full force. T-shirt weather! On to the Dimmuborgir (means “dark forts”) lava fields. François wanted us to stay together here as much as possible because there were so many paths that one could lose oneself on. It was fascinating to walk among the huge lava formations. The piece de resistance was the arch. A natural phenomenon.  I had to miss out on the climb up, but it was fun taking the group’s picture. 

C67CD7CB-6847-41DF-B7E1-780800F4C393.thumb.jpeg.9e34a8d6f8683b72d0c4ae4baaa22481.jpeg4003C80C-69B9-4ACD-B24C-2E019A16F0F3.thumb.jpeg.fac0cf7b15ab2eb33083b5801bf40aa1.jpeg5A445C07-B4EB-48C6-BD8D-23C476B17D9C.thumb.jpeg.22825caf2ce29e48f79d17fb117a7708.jpegCE2202D6-E41D-4472-8259-0317B0EC2495.thumb.jpeg.c266db7870816975d88b5ba33a2b2884.jpeg9AC42D1C-6953-45ED-90C1-4F92773156A1.thumb.jpeg.0f3a96fd75f2ccae6e773d0a8b62aabe.jpeg

Games of Thrones fans will appreciate the pictures from our next stop.  The cave and its beautiful waters are the place in the show where the leading man discovers his real relationship to the woman he loves. I did not dare go down into the cave, so the credit for the pictures goes to a fellow traveler. 

D849BAAF-12C6-49DC-94E9-C90B688AF705.thumb.jpeg.13af720dcde74e724921522d5024a6f9.jpeg

88251062-5B85-48A6-AEE4-122E7540EFA3.thumb.jpeg.f67c8a6786f3a97e55bf2070c9a810c0.jpeg

On to Namaskaro’s bubbling mud pools and fumeroles. If the smell of sulphur bothers you, make sure you stay upwind of each feature - whenever possible. Fans of Yellowstone NP will appreciate this area. It is huge!  If you turn your volume way up, you might be able to hear the mud “plop”.  I really enjoyed this stop. 

DDD71EA6-E72C-463E-8F53-F7C92A9D5A63.thumb.jpeg.54236202263c92c4582a42d6abdbd24f.jpeg0D90E82D-3E37-4679-BD11-F5F69FC75060.thumb.jpeg.cf2665ea59e07071aec7883f317dfff5.jpeg56B01121-CDB0-4A94-95C9-AE6FC177439D.thumb.jpeg.8ef0d0a1437f55c528b1498ba32a4efd.jpeg

We’re not done yet.  The next stop is where I credit François for “giving me Iceland”.  Dettifoss - the most powerful waterfall in Iceland. Some geologists believe it is the most powerful in all of Europe, but no one has published an official finding - yet.  François chose the longer, but less rocky path for me. At the beginning, he walked by my side. He snapped this pic of me to send to the head of GEEO to show him how I was doing!

DC036707-005E-4655-9AA8-14536DFC4749.thumb.jpeg.1b82f0a4358a4e1c44ec0cb435fab360.jpeg

Then as the path grew a bit precarious, he picked out the safest path for me.  Though there were only two small rock piles we had to scale, I would not have been able to make it up the last rock of the second pile - if François had not pulled me up. And there was Dettifoss - in all it’s thundering glory! I could feel it’s power in my bones as I stood at the edge.  Awesome in the truest sense of the word!

D7081473-5A1A-43D5-BFC9-AA6AD971251C.thumb.jpeg.dd64d7afbbe3c22dffff1c70684a9566.jpegD931FF04-6399-47A8-AB75-F799F9F81F58.thumb.jpeg.0ea487dce619b6f78f8e9cb237270dc6.jpeg

François guided me back until we merged with some other members of our group, then he sprinted back to open up the minibus for folk who walked a bit faster than me. As I walked back, I met a couple heading in the opposite direction - they saw my Boston t-shirt and yelled “Boston”! One of those surreal travel moments. They lived just a few miles from where I grew up.

Back in the minibus we drank a lot of water and ate a bunch of snacks. We had earned both.  We had a chance to relax while François drove us to our final destination of the day. That is until we started down the switchback road of an Eastern mountain. The views were spectacular. We were heading down towards one of the Eastern fjords. François said the road had just recently been paved, up until then it was just dirt.  😱

5BB82B4E-B96D-4190-8BD7-E78436FDBE65.thumb.jpeg.40639f397d491d195165c267c5447ad7.jpeg

We reached the small town of Borgarfjordur at the base of the mountain, overlooking the fjord. Before heading to our guesthouse, François drove us through the town to a huge rock that served as a rookery for gulls, terns and PUFFINS!  One of my fellow travelers captured the video of the puffin pair cuddling.  Just one of those special moments. 

09FE8262-62EC-4E47-8267-E562567E7C21.thumb.jpeg.47b43ce265fb7f82fea2aa989ab71327.jpeg

Then back to town to Alfheimar Guesthouse. Arnie, the owner & our host, came on to the minibus to great us. 

FD085262-2B88-4E5B-9072-29E229497153.thumb.jpeg.f652255a84bc6c47bf370f7adbd6d657.jpeg

We got our keys, popped our stuff in our rooms and then headed for the dining room.  We opted for a lovely New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc to go with a meal that started with a delicious carrot soup. The entree - a wolffish was outstanding. I do not remember what our non-fish lovers had, but I know they were happy.  Their homemade bread was addictive. I used a lot of willpower at this meal. 

Happily, we would be leaving a bit later tomorrow, so we could meet for breakfast at 7:30. Another shower before bed. And a good thing too - the black lava sand on the path to Dettifoss had worked its way through my socks - and my feet were filthy. 

In bed by 10:30, and I slept like the dead. 

More to follow…

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Ham and cheese sliders sound wonderful. may have to do that today. Not a fan of chicken wings but the family love them. 

Have not been to Norway, it was on our cancelled trip in 2020. It is back on the list.

@smitty34877  Baby Camilla looks so bright and alert. Sorry she did not get to come home but the news sounds encouraging.

@cat shepardBest of Luck with your appointment today.  I am enjoying your pictures.

Not doing much today as the Doctor told me to have limited motion of my neck to let the stitches heal.  It is more of a nuisance than anything else.  Nothing really to complain about.

Excited about the handover of the Rotterdam. Hope to sail on her someday.

Stay safe and enjoy today.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1