The Daily for Thursday July 29, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good afternoon, all! Tigers are beautiful, and I believe endangered, so a big salute to them. I love chicken wings, if they’re not spicy. Last weekend we went out for lunch and had the most amazing wings - Maple Honey Cajun. They were devine, and just the slightest hint of spice, just enough for flavour but not enough for heat. I last wore lipstick on the Amsterdam in March 2020. I’m not even sure what country the lipstick tube ended up in. We’ve never been to today’s port and the pictures are appreciated.

Today is quiet and relaxing. DD is at work, DH is working on the computer, and I was harvesting Queen Anne’s Lace and spread it out to dry for use later on.

Thank you all for the outpouring of support yesterday. It was such a minor thing, but upsetting at the time. It’s nice to know my daily family has my back!

@smitty34877 I’m so sorry Miss Camilla wasn’t able to come home yesterday. She’s obviously building up the suspense for her home debut.

@cat shepard I’m happy you got in to see the RIGHT doctor today, and earlier than the other would have been. I hope the news is good!

@atexsixBruno, that is so hard about the paperwork and legal complications at a time when you’re all grieving and not up to dealing with this sort of nonsense. My brother was unmarried, and died without a will, in another province. Even though our mother was his sole heir by law, and nothing was contested, wrapping up his estate (which wasn’t large) was a tedious ordeal and took well over a year. I wish you better and fairer luck! @durangoscotsI’m sorry to hear your Shelter Director is still not doing well. However, it’s good to hear that the Great Patio Door Caper has finally come to a successful close!

Happy Thursday, everyone! May we meet ona BHB some day, and the sooner the better!

4F0C25AA-CBAE-4E76-9899-9CFD50DB4C48.thumb.jpeg.8cc2dbef92b937d2e5ac3830ea4252f2.jpeg

Thank you so much for sharing that, yes, his Mother had to immediately call her attorney, the last thing she can handle at the moment, I'm sure it's going to take awhile to sort this out especially since there's a condo with renters in his estate.  

• Like 4

@rafinmd  Roy, I enjoyed your account of your day in Ny Alssund.  By the time we arrived on the Prinsendam in 2016, the docking was a lot easier, and the crew were out as traffic directors pretty quickly. 

Your pictures and narrative reminded me of some pictures I had not shared earlier.  These pictures touch on the mining history and the history of Amundsen’s 1926 airship flight over the North Pole that  All but one of these pictures were taken in the museum.

These pictures are exhibits relatiing to the mining history.

DSC05950.thumb.JPG.c762e05d3fe6867a11666477545db398.JPG

DSC05951.thumb.JPG.6b4c64ed511b8f29bbc74f8787c53843.JPG

The next two are about Roald Amundsen's airship flight.  Thje first is a model of the airship, and the second a model of the airship hanger.

DSC05960.thumb.JPG.23cc1760ad793a276da2695559d670be.JPG

DSC05961.thumb.JPG.ba907afad6eebd8abf155e47e84d6d8e.JPG

The mast for the airship 

DSC05948.thumb.JPG.ec8c699be3e879b25e3a4705b0d91f63.JPG

Lenda

• Like 12

32 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Thank you so much for sharing that, yes, his Mother had to immediately call her attorney, the last thing she can handle at the moment, I'm sure it's going to take awhile to sort this out especially since there's a condo with renters in his estate.  

Actually, having renters in the condo is good right now. It means the day to day stuff is taken care of. We weren’t legally allowed to touch anything in my brothers condo, as there was no will so no executor and he lived alone. Throwing out the perishables in the fridge was technically against the law, but no one objected when it accidentally fell down the garbage shoot.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Just reporting back in. My US doc confirmed what my Icelandic doc declared. No surgery, if I do not bend my knee for three more weeks. 

And I am now sporting a brace. A heck of a lot cooler. And I can even ice my knee now. 

My doc wants me to take a baby aspirin each day to help prevent blood clots. 

Back August 19th. Woo hoo!  

And everyone was interested in how the Icelandic medical team created the cast. 

That is great news that your are out of the cast.  It is always nice  when one doctor agrees with another.

Have a glass of wine and celebrate.

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for asking.  Right now it’s hopeful.  The AFib and uncontrollable heart beat has stopped so far.  His blood pressure, oxygen and white blood cell count are slowly rising.

Small improvements and good he is still in ICU being monitored.  

His wife asked me to continue my prayers and I assured her they would not be stopping.  I feel for her.  She there 24/7 except for a short break to go shower and nap when she is relieved.

They raised a great family and they are all trying to help with the house, plants or relieving (and that includes their truly wonderful grandchildren).

Sorry for saying more than necessary.

Jacqui, I thank you for sharing. Writing these words allows you to release some of the emotion. And sharing them with us solidifies the “family”. 

Prayers will continue for all of you. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you @Cruising-along!  I love how Debbie has paid it forward!

You are very welcome!  I wish I had known about these hats before I went to Iceland -- like Debbie I could have really used one in one port. I felt a bit jealous when I saw others wearing them!

@kazuI had never heard of Mountain Hydrangeas, so I looked it up -- very similar to what we call Lacecap Hydrangeas. Yours are beautiful!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Great news!  Wonderful, really!   So...how did the Icelandic medical team create the cast??

Sandi

After wrapping the knee in a compression bandage, they wrapped my leg from ankle to mid-thigh twice with gauze. Then they took two triple layers of gauze strips and soaked then in this liquid that hardened into plastic braces.  They then wrapped those braces (one on each side of my knee) with three more layers of gauze. And secured the gauze with lots of medical tape. That way I did not set off any alarms at the airport. 

But that stuff was NOT designed for my Florida climate. 🙄

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Sandi

After wrapping the knee in a compression bandage, they wrapped my leg from ankle to mid-thigh twice with gauze. Then they took two triple layers of gauze strips and soaked then in this liquid that hardened into plastic braces.  They then wrapped those braces (one on each side of my knee) with three more layers of gauze. And secured the gauze with lots of medical tape. That way I did not set off any alarms at the airport. 

Oh my!  that sounds very sturdy and great for keeping your knee in place!  The temps there were cool so not a problem, but the temps in Florida must have felt like your leg was roasting in an oven.  What a relief to get that off!🦵

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oh my!  that sounds very sturdy and great for keeping your knee in place!  The temps there were cool so not a problem, but the temps in Florida must have felt like your leg was roasting in an oven.  What a relief to get that off!🦵

Exactly!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Sandi

I think that’s technically a temporary cast.  It’s what they did to my foot and ankle when I broke my foot. Maybe it’s not done in the U.S. but it is big here as a temporary fix and holds if nothing else can be done until they remove to X-Ray.  I actually said to them when they did it - that’s not a cast - yes, she said it is.  

I will tell you in all honesty, it’s lighter and cooler than the regular cast.  So, as hard it is - you were lucky you had skilled people there 👍 

The brace will let your skin breathe and help in the healing.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The departing storm clouds tonight caught the rays of the setting sun. Unfortunately the pink colour didn’t come out in the photo. And you can tell I live in an older part of the city with overhead power lines!

D533EABA-C005-4C7D-B5E8-2BD9A193565D.jpeg

• Like 8

Good evening Daily Family!  I haven’t read the Daily yet, had a long day with DM’s PET scan. But I wanted to touch base with everyone today and say hi. 

I’m really crazy. I mentioned to Craig, really as a joke, that we needed to get our new luggage purchased because we just might need it for a cruise in August. Forward to yesterday and he asks me to get prices and flight info and we would talk on his lunch hour. So it’s a go!  Yes, we are booked and paid for Alaska August 28th. Yay!

Have a great evening everyone!

• Like 13

14 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Yesterday was so sad for us as Camilla once again had difficulty  with her heart rate and her discharge  was canceled.  The Docs feel that she will eventually "outgrow " this as she gets to her original due date. 

My niece sent this picture last night.Camilla looks irate!

Pretty Little Miss Camilla!  So sorry you didn’t get to go home yesterday but your day will come. Go Girl!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rafinmd said:

For anyone who may not have seen it, I will recommend @GoHoward's live thread on Nieuw Amsterdam's first return voyage.  It has become my primary go to as it is quite good and very well focused on the voyage.

Yes, I totally agree and his pictures are spectacular. Make sure to see the ones at ISP. DH said he must have a professional camera. 

• Like 2

I will have to read all of this tomorrow and also  tomorrow's posts.  Have been to Spitsbegen.  Wonderful port.  Great quote.

Today was very nice here until the fog came in.  It will be near 100 Degrees tomorrow in the valley so we will get fog on the coast.  

Been a busy day in the yard.  Thought I could relax tomorrow but DH said we should start our yearly sanding and varnishing of the outside doors tomorrow.  Maybe I wil just have another glass of wine and pretend I didn't hear him.

Prayer and cheers to all.  Stay well and safe.  We are back to wearing masks when we feel it is necessary.  

🤔

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu  Glad there is improvement in your BFF's Dh's condition.  That''s a move in the right direction.

@atexsix  Bruno, glad things are a little calmer today.  Just take it one day at a time, and you all will get through it.

Lenda

Thanks.  While each day brings new concerns, it IS getting better, the family are talking more, when at first everybody stayed to themselves or pushed people away, it was such a sudden and unexpected death. 

Edited by atexsix

16 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Actually, having renters in the condo is good right now. It means the day to day stuff is taken care of. We weren’t legally allowed to touch anything in my brothers condo, as there was no will so no executor and he lived alone. Throwing out the perishables in the fridge was technically against the law, but no one objected when it accidentally fell down the garbage shoot.

Good points, thank you.  A friend mentioned something similar years ago, there was something he needed from the deceased's unit, and there was nothing he could do about it.  

Edit: I think the only time you could legally go in is when there are pets that need to be cared for.

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 1