The Daily for Saturday July 31, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@JazzyV Vanessa, sycamore trees are trashy trees with their shedding bark and leaves in the fall, but they are fast growing and provide good shade.  We planted one at our old house to shade an upstairs bedroom window.  The new owners cut it down shortly after moving in.  Growing up, we had two sycamore trees in our front yard, and they helped keep the house cool in the summer before a/c.

Lenda

I think this tree was definitely planted for cooling the house. My house was built circa 1904, so way before a/c. I have an old picture of the house (not sure when it's from) and the tree is small. It is now huge. I like it except for the shedding bark and those green spikey things it drops.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 10

3 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Our daughter has had to call her husband to see if he fed the dog, because he puts on such a good act!  

Mine have done the same.  Tried to fool DH.  Miko is a grazer but Marley’s is gone in a nano second. They will both act like they haven’t had “dinner”.😂 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Once that was completed we went to the lido for peanut butter silk pie as a reward

I confess I had never tried that pie until a cruise when a friend gave me a taste.  OMG.  Back then it was served in the MDR for embarkation lunch.

Now in the Lido?  Fine, we’ll go there for a taste .  It really is scrumptious.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon. Our after noon clouds are moving in, but that is normal this time of year (if there still is a normal).  Our best chance of rain is Sunday night and early Monday morning, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 🤞 

I finished the yard a couple hours ago, and after showering have been catching up on the Daily happenings and cooling down.

When I got in, DH said it was 94F, felt like 103F and the dew point was 76F. . It's now 96F but feels like it's 106F with a dew point of 73F.  I'll be staying inside this afternoon.  I think I may have to start the yard work earlier the next few weeks, but several of our neighybors are on trips, and most are early risers.  At least, last summer, I bought a cooling towel that helps.  You soak it in cool water, then place it aournd your shoulders.  With our heat and the sun, I have to rewet it several times, but it does make a difference on hot, sunny days.

A lot has been happening since early this morning.  

@smitty34877  Please be careful when out and wear your msak.  Our numbers in Texas are rising too, and the majority of counties, including ours, have very low vaccination numbers.. Still sending good thoughts for improvement for Tana, and for Miss Camilla.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, good that you will get to see your DGS graduate, and nice the school is doing this for last year's grads.  Have a safe trip, and be careful.  Sorry your neighbor has a breakthrough case of Covid.  That is why we are wearing our masks in stores again and I've decided to postpone my retail therapy session in Waco for a while.

@jayhawk66  Welcome to the Daily, the friendliest place on CC.  Glad that Lucas is doing better.

@Mr. Boston We had avacado appliances in our first house in 1970.  They were better than harvest gold or coppertone, and a change from white.  Finally, in 1986 or 87, DH and his brother spray painted the refrigerator almond and used it in the townhouse we used as an office and guest house.  It sold with the townhouse in 1999.

@AncientWanderer I vaguely remember the cotton candy in the Canaletto now that you mentioned it.  I even think we tried a little bit of it -- once.   😃

@cat shepard  Ann, I'll add my WOW on the pictures.  I would have joined you in the mini-bus instead of the glacier hike.  The last time we were in Iceland, we rented a car and made it as far east from Reykjavik as Vik and the Black Sand Beach.  I can't wait for the next installment and will be sad when your wonderful trip ends.

@Horizon chaser 1957  Safe travels to you and your DD tomorrow.  Enjoy your visit with relatives.

@JazzyV Vanessa, sycamore trees are trashy trees with their shedding bark and leaves in the fall, but they are fast growing and provide good shade.  We planted one at our old house to shade an upstairs bedroom window.  The new owners cut it down shortly after moving in.  Growing up, we had two sycamore trees in our front yard, and they helped keep the house cool in the summer before a/c.

@Sharon in AZ If I'm lucky enough to make it to 92, I hope I look half as good as your DM.

@St. Louis Sal  Sally, you are braver than I am to do the glacier hike.  

Good grief, this turn out to be a long post, since I'd missed a lot this moring on a busy day on the Daily.

Lenda

Lenda,thanks so much for understanding. We are very careful as 3 out of 4 of us have autoimmune  problems.We are all vaccinated. Take care as well. Terry

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kazu said:

It should get pollinated with the bees, but if you have any doubt, just take q tip and touch several of the flowers’ pollen and then the other flower’s pollen.

It seemed to work for me when one of my chilies was way before the others.  If you have any other type of chili blooming you can do the same thing and touch each other’s with the q - tip if they are far away.

My black pearls just keep sending new leaves.  Haven’t seen any sign of bloom yet, either.  

Thanks!  We learned something interesting when we moved some of the peppers near the house in case it hailed.    They are now twice as big, so we’ve now moved them all!    We thought they should be in the sun, and is been warm, very warm here, but they must like the residual heat at night.   

8C183BF1-BFA9-4FE8-A4A4-F422CDF21C61.jpeg

38FCE026-D122-4CCE-ADB7-8EA5F9CEE851.jpeg

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Maybe, We have lots of squirrels on this tree lined street. But I also saw a deer twice in my yard in the last 2 weeks; never had I seen that before. Unfortunately I had turned off my outside cameras when I was mowing the lawn yesterday and forgot to turn them on last evening. That's how I saw the deer.

We have accepted we have to share with the squirrels, half for us, half for them. They usually like the green tomatoes. I cover the green tomatoes with aluminum foil with a small hole in the bottom to drain the rain off or put the foil on sideways. Then I check them and as soon as the tomatoes start to turn I bring them in to ripen. Our deer just trim the tomato bushes. We hang old computer discs to scare them off. We have to wait for Nov for our tomato season to begin.

Thank you @cat shepardfor posting of your Iceland trip, it looks wonderful. Thank you everyone else that posts. Praying for those in need and raising a glass to those celebrating.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thanks!  We learned something interesting when we moved some of the peppers near the house in case it hailed.    They are now twice as big, so we’ve now moved them all!    We thought they should be in the sun, and is been warm, very warm here, but they must like the residual heat at night.   

They probably do like the residual heat.

I have some by the house (I shouldn’t have put them in the back of the planter in hindsight but they seem happy) and some on the side.  

The ones by the house have little baby blossoms coming.  The ones on the side of the house don’t yet but they are different varieties so it’s hard to determine if that is a factor.

they look healthy.

I’ll try to post a pic of some of mine tomorrow so you can compare - especially the Black Pearl.  Keep in mind though, my season is later than yours. 😉 

After all, I did say way back August 1st.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, kazu said:

I confess I had never tried that pie until a cruise when a friend gave me a taste.  OMG.  Back then it was served in the MDR for embarkation lunch.

Now in the Lido?  Fine, we’ll go there for a taste .  It really is scrumptious.

One of the staff complained that it wasn't served in the MDR.  He didn't know it was in the lido.

Also, feel free to share the cabin pictures on a certain web site.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I think this tree was definitely planted for cooling the house. My house was built circa 1904, so way before a/c. I have an old picture of the house (not sure when it's from) and the tree is small. It is now huge. I like it except for the shedding bark and those green spikey things it drops.

I hear you.  I also got tired of raking the leaves.  Otherwise, they are great shade trees and fast growing.

Lenda

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

They probably do.  My mom planted tomatoes against a wall and next to pool equipment that didn't get all that much sun, and she had the best crop ever.  We figured the pool equipment was always creating heat and it radiated off the wall.

Constant trial and error, right?!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Thanks for all the great photos.  We may be down there at Christmastime and having never been to Loreto, it's great to see them.  I was curious about the clam bake because a long time ago, DH went diving near Bahia de Los Angeles and brought up "scallops" which we cooked.  They were pretty gross and that put me off of the clam bake, but yours look totally different and yummy.  It looks like a really fun thing to do and the town looks darling.  So glad to hear you say you're looking forward to going back.  👍

The clams by themselves were kinda "meh." AW.  However, one of the ladies showed us how to mix some condiments that were on the table to make a terrific sauce.  That, to me, made all the difference.  I have to add that I also really liked the grilled fish and the vegie dish which, for lack of a better description was some sort of a casserole.

• Like 5

Just now, XBGuy said:

The clams by themselves were kinda "meh." AW.  However, one of the ladies showed us how to mix some condiments that were on the table to make a terrific sauce.  That, to me, made all the difference.  I have to add that I also really liked the grilled fish and the vegie dish which, for lack of a better description was some sort of a casserole.

They have such wonderful fish down there.  It sounds like a great day.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

One of the staff complained that it wasn't served in the MDR.  He didn't know it was in the lido.

Also, feel free to share the cabin pictures on a certain web site.

Ah thanks.

That’s very king of you. 👍 

• Like 3

Late to the party, but not as late as sometimes.  Lots of news today--some good and some not so great for those on the care list.  My continued prayers for all and a happy dance for those on the shout out list!  At the risk of missing someone, I am going to just that my thoughts are with all!

For once, I have been to Ports of the Day for 2 days in a row.  Three times to Skagway--did the train twice, while my DH was alive, as he was a rail fan.  Always remember very fondly our visit to Loretto, as it was by far the cleanest, neatest Mexican town I had ever visited.  We just walked around, and watched some dancing in the "plaza".  DH fell, so after I helped him up, we went back to the ship.  Such a lovely town.

Yesterday was quite the day for me.  Had started at 11pm Thursday night when I got a call from a County Emergency Manager.  There had been numerous mudslides in Glenwood Canyon, and there were people trapped in a tunnel (Some of you maybe familiar with the area on I-70).  A shelter was needed, as when they got the people out most would not have their cars, as the authorities would be bringing the cars out later.  Major concern at the time was the people trapped!  We arranged the opening of the shelter.  Then yesterday morning, another person and I went to Glenwood Springs to assist with the shelter, and I continued with my volunteer Red Cross "job" of working with the County authorities.  Thankfully, we got everyone situated by late afternoon, and were able to close the shelter.  Then the two of us had to drive back to our local location!  Talk about tired!  This "old lady" isn't used to such a day (and the night preceding).

The mudslide situation will continue as long as we are getting "monsoon" rains, if it is in one of the burn scars from last summer-s fires.  We still have two fires in the state, even with some rain.  Our area isn't getting much of the needed moisture, but there is some in some mountain areas.

Hope everyone has a good evening.  I am off to continue reading CC, watch Olympics, and sleep!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

We are on board having lunch in the MDR.

20210731_124830.jpg

I may be imagining this but thought Lisa said the MDR was not open for the first cruise.  A change for the good.

Roy

• Like 4

7 hours ago, LawDog61 said:

(I hope Roy gets back in action soon 😀)

It will be a while.  I'm in cardiac rehab until mid October although I would like to terminate it early if possible.  That Nieuw Amsterdam Panama Canal cruise is interesting as is some Crystal Symphony cruises New York to Bermuda. 

Roy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

Late to the party, but not as late as sometimes.  Lots of news today--some good and some not so great for those on the care list.  My continued prayers for all and a happy dance for those on the shout out list!  At the risk of missing someone, I am going to just that my thoughts are with all!

For once, I have been to Ports of the Day for 2 days in a row.  Three times to Skagway--did the train twice, while my DH was alive, as he was a rail fan.  Always remember very fondly our visit to Loretto, as it was by far the cleanest, neatest Mexican town I had ever visited.  We just walked around, and watched some dancing in the "plaza".  DH fell, so after I helped him up, we went back to the ship.  Such a lovely town.

Yesterday was quite the day for me.  Had started at 11pm Thursday night when I got a call from a County Emergency Manager.  There had been numerous mudslides in Glenwood Canyon, and there were people trapped in a tunnel (Some of you maybe familiar with the area on I-70).  A shelter was needed, as when they got the people out most would not have their cars, as the authorities would be bringing the cars out later.  Major concern at the time was the people trapped!  We arranged the opening of the shelter.  Then yesterday morning, another person and I went to Glenwood Springs to assist with the shelter, and I continued with my volunteer Red Cross "job" of working with the County authorities.  Thankfully, we got everyone situated by late afternoon, and were able to close the shelter.  Then the two of us had to drive back to our local location!  Talk about tired!  This "old lady" isn't used to such a day (and the night preceding).

The mudslide situation will continue as long as we are getting "monsoon" rains, if it is in one of the burn scars from last summer-s fires.  We still have two fires in the state, even with some rain.  Our area isn't getting much of the needed moisture, but there is some in some mountain areas.

Hope everyone has a good evening.  I am off to continue reading CC, watch Olympics, and sleep!

Thought about you when I saw the news about Glenwood Springs and people trapped in the tunnel and at the rest area. Fortunately on our side of the mountain pass we have only had a few problems with county roads. Problems like that on the Interstate can be a terrible danger and certainly will be an inconvenience. Get some rest. We did not have rain today but expect some tomorrow.

Susan

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, garlictown said:

Speaking of avacados, we picked some up at the Costco by the airport in Maui along with some other refreshments. I think we saw most of the passengers from the plane shopping there, lol!😁 Katie

20210731_172959.jpg

I ran into my former boss at that Costco  🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1