Not well-known complimentary dining “secrets”, feel free to add you own

NutsAboutGolf

Food items

-Pizzeria is open until 1am, they’ll make you an entire pizza or even a calzone with or without sauce inside (got mine on the side), took ten minutes, just ask; quite good.

-Edge/Apex, Eden Café from noon-130 has cookies and brownies, some of the best “simple” desserts on the ship.

-Buffet omelette, be sure to ask for “fresh eggs” or else they’ll use the pre-mixed.

-Buffet omelettes, when you first arrive start with the omelettes, they have order takers, put in your order and go around picking out other items vs standing in line.

-MDR Breakfast, many simply never go preferring room delivery or the buffet, they have a French style omelette which is a softer texture; give it a try if you generally don’t visit the MDR during breakfast.

MDR

-Edge/Apex, MDR hosts can view other MDR wait times, with select dining, if one MDR host staff says there’s a wait, they can see the other MDR wait times, ask if there are any open without a wait.

-Edge/Apex, MDR exclusive items, you can order of any the MDR “exclusive” items in any MDR.

-Room Service, if it’s during MDR meal hours, you can have anything delivered to your room (remember that French omelette?) for free by calling room service; they’ll expect gratuity.

-4oz Filet Mignon, is on the kid’s menu and can be ordered for lunch or dinner.

-Multiple Entrees, feel free to order as many as you want; on the second Chic night they usually have beef wellington and smallish lobster tails; I ordered a beef wellington and two lobster tails.

Bonus #1!  Not sure if this is fleet wide but on the Edge the central reservations line is 7000 on your stateroom phone; there isn't a dedicated reservations button on the phone.

Bonus #2!  Don't be afraid to ask, for example, the buffet usually only has shrimp and grilled to order filet one day, be sure to ask the buffet staff which day they will be available.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

• There are 4 PM "tea time" snacks in the buffet with small sandwiches, a sample of desserts, and scones with clotted cream and jam. I looked forward to the scone every day! It was especially good when we got back to the ship around 4 after a day in port!

image.thumb.png.2fc6b796e6fc81ce79c644590f9e1ead.png

• The pork belly sliders at the Eden Cafe (included in your cruise fare) are not to be missed. The pork belly was perfect and they were so cheesy! 

image.thumb.png.b638288e8857810cb6e19f7ba9dd3cdf.png

• If you like a faster pace meal but want to try 2 the appetizers, ask for both appetizers at the same time. Some wait staff seemed surprised that we would want this, others said it honestly made it easier for them because they didn't have to worry about the timing. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

Thanks to both of you for this excellent information.

Even though we have been aboard "X" ships for over 150 nights, we did not know some of the things that you mentioned.

We will now try to think of something to add here (although we fear that old age and the time gap since our 2019 cruise may cause us to "draw a blank")!

Elite breakfast/ coffee break in Tuscan.

Can be plated, whereas it used to be a buffet ( buffet not allowed to be served in carpeted areas).

Tha attached image is of the Ultimate platter, but there are also cheese platters ( not for me, as I am dairy intolerant) and fruit platters.

Also, speciality coffees and mimosas.

D32193C8-11D3-489F-84A1-B161C91FB8A7.jpeg

Look out for buffet specials. A couple of years ago there were fresh sardines in Lisbon and in Norway on a few days there was a ‘catch of the day’.

They also theme the days in the buffet on some cruises, our favourite is when the usually very good Indian selection is added to...really nice and lots of vegetarian options.

Remember all the cakes and biscuits are free at cafe el bachio, you don’t need to purchase a coffee.

Visit the buffet late afternoon and gather some cheese and biscuits. Transfer into a plastic container/plastic bag in your room and put in your fridge to enjoy later on the balcony with a last drink...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@NutsAboutGolf…thanks for this.  Great thread idea.

Throw in a “tweak” about the omelette station in the buffet.  They will not only make a fresh omelette, they’ll do eggs any way you want them.  I wanted mine poached….no problem, sir….coming right up.  I also had mine over easy one a.m.  No issues there, either.

BTW….the “treats” in the Il Bacio case are “no charge”.  They are scrumptious, too.  Afternoon tea (also at il Bacio) with a lemon tart was something I looked forward to.  I jokingly asked the barista there if I could have a whole chocolate cake from the display.  He said “sure”.  I was kidding and didn’t press him on it. But, I wondered if he’d actually give me the entire cake….. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Enjoyed your (big) dinner in the MDR -- and find yourself with no room for dessert, even though they are offering your favorite flavor of ice cream? 

No problem!

Go to the buffet (Oceanview Cafe) for lunch and/or dinner the next day, and that flavor of ice cream will probably be available.  (The OC seems to get what is left over from the night before.)  An unlimited number of scoops of ice cream in the OC is available in bowls or cones, with or without toppings.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 10:44 AM, upwarduk said:

Can be plated, whereas it used to be a buffet ( buffet not allowed to be served in carpeted areas).

Tha attached image is of the Ultimate platter, but there are also cheese platters ( not for me, as I am dairy intolerant) and fruit platters.

Was that an Australian cruise? Lol

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2021 at 9:29 AM, graphicguy said:

@NutsAboutGolf…W…the “treats” in the Il Bacio case are “no charge”.  They are scrumptious, too.  Afternoon tea (also at il Bacio) with a lemon tart was something I looked forward to.  I jokingly asked the barista there if I could have a whole chocolate cake from the display.  He said “sure”.  I was kidding and didn’t press him on it. But, I wondered if he’d actually give me the entire cake….. 😉

👍👍👍😍

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1

Suppose you are having dinner in the MDR.  Suppose, on the menu, you notice two entrees that you would like to have, but you know that you cannot eat full servings of both.  In some cases, you can ask for a half-portion of one of them (or even of both of them).  That is always true of a "pasta entree." 

You may even be permitted to ask that a half-portion of an entree be served as your appetizer/starter, instead of the other appetizers on the menu.  [You can even ask that the cheese-and-fruit plate (from the dessert menu) be served as an starter.]

Conversely, if you cannot find an entree that you like, but you see an appetizer that you love, you can "build" an entree by asking for two (or even three) servings of that appetizer.

It cannot hurt to be creative and make any of the aforementioned requests.

Also, if your favorite flavor of ice cream is being served in the MDR, you can ask for two (or even three) scoops of it.  Otherwise, you will probably get just one.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jg51 said:

Suppose you are having dinner in the MDR.  Suppose, on the menu, you notice two entrees that you would like to have ...

... Also, if your favorite flavor of ice cream is being served in the MDR, you can ask for two (or even three) scoops of it.  Otherwise, you will probably get just one.

Two things ...

We have too often found that when asking for a double portion of the main entree item (e.g., four lamb chops vs. two), the waiter will instead take the 'shortcut' of bringing two fully plated entrees.  Bit of a waste of the sides.  So it's necessary to be specific when requesting changes to portion sizes and creating a 'special order as  result.

As for ice cream ...

I hesitate to mention for fear it will become a common ask and starts to cause a freezer inventory mess that causes resistance to providing one of my favorite perks!

IMHO, X makes, hands down, the best cinnamon ice cream in the known universe.  Medium grind Indonesian cinnamon infusing really good vanilla base.  Often shows up only once per cruise, and sometimes only at lunch and not in the MDR for dinner.  Years ago, we starting asking first night to have a tray made up just for our table, promising that we would make sure it was empty by the end of the cruise. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2021 at 9:29 AM, graphicguy said:

@NutsAboutGolf…But, I wondered if he’d actually give me the entire cake….. 😉

He probably would have.  My husband only likes plain cheesecake.  He mentioned it to our waiter in the MDR and the next evening there was his cheesecake…. A whole cheesecake.  We brought it back to the room and I honestly don’t think it lasted until the next morning. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Breakfast, and lunch (sea days) is available in the MDR.   I have found this to be just as good and somethings better than Luminae or Blu.  The menu is larger.  They serve and offer the same pastries, get coffee drinks from Cafe al Bacio if you have have a drink pack or you can pay for it, and also offer fresh juices.    Service is great and you can get a table for two if you want.  

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• 3 months later...
On 8/6/2021 at 7:22 AM, canderson said:

Two things ...

We have too often found that when asking for a double portion of the main entree item (e.g., four lamb chops vs. two), the waiter will instead take the 'shortcut' of bringing two fully plated entrees.  Bit of a waste of the sides.  So it's necessary to be specific when requesting changes to portion sizes and creating a 'special order as  result.

As for ice cream ...

I hesitate to mention for fear it will become a common ask and starts to cause a freezer inventory mess that causes resistance to providing one of my favorite perks!

IMHO, X makes, hands down, the best cinnamon ice cream in the known universe.  Medium grind Indonesian cinnamon infusing really good vanilla base.  Often shows up only once per cruise, and sometimes only at lunch and not in the MDR for dinner.  Years ago, we starting asking first night to have a tray made up just for our table, promising that we would make sure it was empty by the end of the cruise. 

I remember getting the cinnamon ice cream. I was really good.

36 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

I remember getting the cinnamon ice cream. I was really good.

Alas... they've lost the recipe!!!

They have tried twice, the first time with ordinary powdered cinnamon and I'd swear some cinnamon oil (FAR too astringent for ice cream).  Then a gelato attempt.  It's evidently no longer in their regular stable of flavors. 😟

On 8/5/2021 at 8:41 PM, swjumbo said:

Was that an Australian cruise? Lol

No, on Silhouette in August 2021, a round Britain Staycation.

Oh dear, looking again I realise the photo is upside down.

Absolutely no idea why.

CCA6840C-F368-46AE-B7F5-8BE7AB42D7C5.thumb.jpeg.ad0ea24308bd3f79fd3b84753efc1115.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk

On 8/4/2021 at 5:44 AM, upwarduk said:

Were you aware that the pic that you posted is 'upside down'?

Is there a possibility that you could reverse it to 'right side up' as I have issues with twisting my neck!

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Were you aware that the pic that you posted is 'upside down'?

Is there a possibility that you could reverse it to 'right side up' as I have issues with twisting my neck!

Directly above your post!