Not well-known complimentary dining “secrets”, feel free to add you own

NutsAboutGolf

6 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Were you aware that the pic that you posted is 'upside down'?

Is there a possibility that you could reverse it to 'right side up' as I have issues with twisting my neck!

Something has happened since I posted this morning. No idea what.

My tip is, if one is vegan OR vegetarian and desire a particular meal set or dessert(s) take the kitchen tour to speak with the chef's and you will be amazed at the response as to what is possible.

e.g. on our Alaska on The Millineum sailing a few years ago the pastry chef made a different dessert every night for me and on the last night he presented each dessert made for the whole table...

Most mornings he had vegan pastries at Al Bacio for me, yet after day three (3) they were frequently desired by other passengers so I had to get there early enough to have one... LOL

On The Edge, I was able to get tofu scramble for breakfast several mornings as well as vegan pancakes which were great, that spurred others to request it as well when it was found out that I had them...

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Like 1

If you are vegan or simply enjoy Indian food, mention it to your server.  The menu they have for the staff always includes Indian dishes, which they are happy to serve you on request in the dining room. We have had some of the most amazing matar paneer and butter chicken!! It changed each night, and we were asked if we wanted a side or full portion. Delicious!

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2021 at 11:22 AM, canderson said:

Two things ...

We have too often found that when asking for a double portion of the main entree item (e.g., four lamb chops vs. two), the waiter will instead take the 'shortcut' of bringing two fully plated entrees.  Bit of a waste of the sides.  So it's necessary to be specific when requesting changes to portion sizes and creating a 'special order as  result.

As for ice cream ...

I hesitate to mention for fear it will become a common ask and starts to cause a freezer inventory mess that causes resistance to providing one of my favorite perks!

IMHO, X makes, hands down, the best cinnamon ice cream in the known universe.  Medium grind Indonesian cinnamon infusing really good vanilla base.  Often shows up only once per cruise, and sometimes only at lunch and not in the MDR for dinner.  Years ago, we starting asking first night to have a tray made up just for our table, promising that we would make sure it was empty by the end of the cruise. 

Double portions are special order. It is fast for the waiter to grab premade plates

26 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

Double portions are special order. It is fast for the waiter to grab premade plates

My WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) is that when you order a second entree that they take a premade plate, dump the entree into another premade and give the entree-less plate to the bussing staff.  That's the fastest way to get the job done, otherwise you're bugging the chef and need to wait around.

You would be amazed at what you can get if you ask very, very nicely.  I know Murano is a speciality restaurant, but Chateaubriand can be had there and at Luminae.  Just ask for things in Luminae a day or two before and they will make it for you!

17 hours ago, 39august said:

Don't forget the Aqua Spa Cafe, open to all pax, not just Aqua class. And there is free bar mix. You just have to ask for it, usually. We did have a bartender offer it on Equinox last month. 

We completely agree about the Aqua Spa Cafe.  We have lunch there almost every day.

Please tell me what you mean by a "free bar mix." 

Just now, amevola said:

We completely agree about the Aqua Spa Cafe.  We have lunch there almost every day.

Please tell me what you mean by a "free bar mix." 

I'm thinking snacks...pretzels, etc.a mix that I've had on Celebrity before. ...I didn't see it on my August cruise on Equinox...hopefully they brought it back out...

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, CruisinKikster said:

I always order 2 souffles for dessert in Murano. Souffles are one of my favorite desserts, and they are rarely found on a menu.  So I look forward to having my double dessert at Murano!

I have had dreams of the grand marnier soufflé  during these these 

last 18 months …can’t wait 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brockmom said:

I have had dreams of the grand marnier soufflé  during these these 

last 18 months …can’t wait 

Visited Murano three times during a seven night cruise in September….Each visit ended with a grand marnier soufflé….Sad to miss out on the ballon rouge but after two years and no cruises the soufflé won!

• Like 2