The Daily for Tuesday August 03, 2021

richwmn

Today is Grab Some Nuts Day, National Watermelon Day, and National Night Out

There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self. --Aldous Huxley

Meal suggestion for today - Instant Pot Ground Beef Tacos

Drink of the Day - Paradise

Wine of the day - Domaine de Chevalier Pessac-Léognan 2016

Destination of the Day - Boca da Valeria Brazil

Ships with Passengers

Glacier Bay
Nieuw Amsterdam 18:00 - 22:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Adriatic Sea
Rotterdam Destination Trieste eta 8/5

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Noordam Destination Los Angeles eta 8/3

Augusta IT
Eurodam

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Nieuw Statendam

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage

Los Angeles, CA
Zuiderdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

0803NAmerica.thumb.png.07b15fbd6311479564166afd6cd60ba2.png

0803Europe.thumb.png.75d9282a71fe7e9dd5a00315885aeee1.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  Nuts are good for you, I'll have a handful of almonds later.  Love watermelon.  A night out with my sweetie would be nice.

I don't have an instant pot but maybe I can adapt the recipe, I like tacos.

The drink of the day sounds interesting.  Hope the wine is good too.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Good morning dailyites.  Thanks for the daily report Rich.  Just finished watching the Nieuw Statendam sail out, fine looking ship!  I have a handful of almonds most everyday.  I enjoy watermelon.  Not sure about night out day on Tuesday.  Great quote today and so true.  Since we don’t have an instant pot we won’t be having today’s meal suggestion although it sounds tasty. Will look forward to the photos of today’s port since we haven’t been.  Prayers to everyone on the prayer list today I also pray that it shrinks.  Happy____________  to everyone celebrating!

• Like 21

Good morning Rich.  I love Watermelon.  I have been watching the Nieuw Statendam sail out of Port Everglades.   Thanks for the daily fleet update. I will return yo this thread later in the day.

• Like 9

Good morning.  Another scorcher today.  No nights out yet, still not comfortable with crowds.  Love Watermelon and Pecans.  The meal sounds wonderful.  Have not been to Brazil, looking forward to the photo's from those of you who have. 

Prayers and toasts to our lists. 

Stay safe everyone, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Paradise:

The Paradise is an IBA official cocktail, and is classified as a "pre-dinner" drink, an apéritif. The earliest known in-print recipe for the Paradise Cocktail was written by Harry Craddock in 1930. This cocktail is prepared using gin, apricot brandy, and orange juice in a 2:1:1 ratio, with a splash of lemon juice. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 1/6 oz (7 parts) Gin, 1/2 oz (3 parts) Orange juice, 2/3 oz (4 parts) Apricot brandy
Preparation: Shake together over ice. Strain into cocktail glass and serve chilled.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Drinkware: Cocktail glass
IBA specified ingredients: 3.5 cl (7 parts) gin; 2 cl (4 parts) apricot brandy; 1.5 cl (3 parts) orange juice

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 7.24.23 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

A special salute to National Night Out Day.  I have a Zoom meeting tonight (I take the minutes) so I will have to miss it.  I like a handful of nuts each night and it's a healthy supplement.  I'm not really into tacos or watermelon.  I love the Huxley quote and have been to Boca twice, both times on the Elegant Explorer.  My alternative suggestion is Chilled Lychees with Kiwi Wedges, Chilled Raspberry Soup, and Perfectly Grilled Breast of Chicken as served on the Elegant Explorer August 3, 2011.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU(hopefully not long)
DurangoScots shelter manager in hospital (but out of ICU}
Kazu’s friend with fall and brain bleed(Out of ICU)
bennybear DSIL infection
Ger_77's friend facing mastectomy
From the rotation:
Tana back in the hospital
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Front Line Health Care Workers

Welcome aboard rothbury
Nieuw Amsterdam in Glacier Bay and ISP
4 days for Aliaschief and bobpatj
CrazyForCats on Nieuw Amsterdam
Sharon DGD attains age 14 today.
AC Installed for Atexsix
HorizonChaser1957 to Okaanagan
garlictown in Maui
Denise on her wilderness adventure
second jab for daisybertie
highland cruiser’s friends out of quarantine
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone!

It is another sun shiny day in northeast Ohio.  Temps are supposed to be low 80s, but right now it is pretty chilly at 54.   

I love nuts and put some on my Fiber One this morning.   I'll skip the watermelon and a night out sounds like fun, but probably staying in.  Like @summer slope, I don't like being in crowds.  

Don't worry if you don't have an Instant Pot for today's meal.  Just defrost your ground beef before cooking.  

https://damndelicious.net/2020/02/25/instant-pot-ground-beef-tacos/

Instant-Pot-Ground-Beef-TacosIMG_0818.thumb.jpg.d1169d18c1a6e79cf2ee6b3d75ef3cf8.jpg

Heading to the gym.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Love watermelon and most nuts, but especially pecans! Does taking Bindi out for her bedtime walk count as a night out?

Roy thank you for keeping our lists. Great going on rehab! Debbie gave you great advice, and I am going to tuck that away in case I need to use it in a few weeks. Rehab should be customized to the individual. 

Welcome to the clan @rothbury! Morning Dailyite family! Woke up to a lovely gentle rain this morning. Even she-who-hates-to-get-wet did not seem to mind going out for her morning walk in it. Today should be quite an adventure, I am scheduled for a mani-pedi. I have no clue what I will do with my zombie leg. I suspect I will have a funny story to share later in the day. 

Summer, I really hate that we live in one of the hot spots. But sadly I am not surprised. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone. Please vaccinate and mask up!

Domaine de Chevalier Pessac-Léognan 2016

All vintages of this Bordeaux red blend share the same spectacular ratings. If you are willing to wait a year or so, opt for the 2019 vintage which I found available online for $54.98. It is just barely out of my budget, but all those 95+ ratings make me want to add this to my list. 
#23 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

JS97 James Suckling: Aromas of blackberries, red and dark plums, cedar and gravel, as well as red flowers and brown-leaf tea. It offers a very sleek and powerful array of ripe dark fruit and a very plush, focused and elegant bed of fresh, fine and powerful tannins. Plenty of aging potential, this is still quite tight. A blend of 55 per cent cabernet sauvignon, 35 per cent merlot, five per cent cabernet franc and five per cent petit verdot. Try from 2024.

WS96 Wine Spectator: The core of fruit flavor here is sappy and dense, with lots of kirsch, raspberry pâte de fruit and plum reduction notes, yet this stays fresh and racy overall, with a bright iron spine, flashes of tea and tobacco and a long finish that shows a wonderful infusion of alder and tobacco flavors. Offers a lovely combination of prodigious fruit details, with a tug of earth. Best from 2024 through 2038.

WE96 Wine Enthusiast: This elegant wine wears its firm tannic structure lightly. It is densely textured, just starting on its road to maturity. Black-plum and berry fruits give the wine its weight as much as the tannins. It will age well over many years. Drink from 2026. Cellar Selection

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Today looks like another hot day. Yesterday, I accomplished a lot of paperwork. I discovered that I have a policy from the NYC Board of Education that will pay the hospital deductible, 50% of nursing care up to a certain amount, and the ambulate that took Sam from the rehab and back to the hospital for a CAT scan. I worked in the Bronx as a LD resource room teacher and I have some good coverage.

I also registered Sam at the town Senior Center’s new system and they will provide transportation back and forth to the outpatient PT and OT which should start next week. 

Then several phone calls to get some other things in progress. I find I have some days with lots of energy and I try to accomplish what I can on those days.

Stay safe everyone. We are under an indoor mask mandate again.

Carol

• Like 29

Today is final wash and packing. Should have been monitoring our E-mail closer as Hal sent us a sweet Neptune upgrade yesterday! We were too late but we are happy with our SS. Watchful eye on the NA Code yellow.

Thanks to all who contribute. Have a great day.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 23

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists. Nice collection of days.Watermelon on a hot day is refreshing and I like all kinds of nuts. I don't think we will be having a "night out" tonight.

Huxley's quote is great. I wold enjoy either Rich's dinner suggestion or the whole dinner menu from Roy.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 18

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Tuesday smile 🙂 

What an interesting collection of days!  I’ll pass on the National Night Out and stay home until things are better, I think. 😉  18 new cases on Sunday which is way above our norm.  Sad 😔 

Love nuts but I’m starting to get tired of people who feed squirrels and then they choose my yard and gardens to dig and hide their peanuts 😡 

7C0891CB-D26E-4890-813B-E8A539DCAECD.jpeg.ff949d58c2e558e793e9f37a2f54fd02.jpeg

Love Watermelon and will happily eat it anytime 🙂 

DDBFBFE9-0CA5-4FB9-9AFA-D7405B6907E7.thumb.png.150de99b82c3447ccdecf18be73ae0e6.png

This is a valid gardening question indeed:

58C42EEF-90C9-4F37-B47A-91338134D106.jpeg.343eca984f1d3066c5e339887179e3f6.jpeg

Good quote by Huxley and today’s meal suggestion sounds good.  Tacos - yum.  I might use some left over steak instead of ground beef 😉 

We’ve been to Brazil but not to today’s port so looking forward to hearing about it.  

@aliaschiefsorry you missed out on the upsell offer 😔  

@mamaofamiyou really got a LOT accomplished!  Well done!

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!

50B8021D-40FA-4124-9267-1C1AAA34259F.jpeg.a794e7198579a61211dc13ea58d89429.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning and thanks for the update.

National Night Out  is a community based celebration designed to bring police and first responders together with people in an enjoyable evening. Many serve free food and have special entertainment. Unfortunately, the one I usually attend is canceled again this year.   It is always held the 1st Tuesday in August.  A great event always well attended.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!  It was raining when I awoke today but has stopped now.  I have a hair appointment in a little over an hour from now so hoping for clear skies then.  Have to rush so it's a good thing I haven't made it to Boca da Valeria yet.  I believe so far we have had to cancel 3 Amazon cruises and have another iffy chance of going there on the Jan. 4 Grand South America/Antarctica cruise.  Thanks to anyone who posts photos today for us.

@1ANGELCATthank you for the explanation of National Night Out, a very worthy celebration.  It's unfortunate that yours has been cancelled again this year.

I also love most nuts, and love watermelon, too.  The tacos today look very good but DH has something else planned for tonight.  I'm happy to see the Care list is smaller than the Celebration list; sending prayers and congrats to those indicated.  

@mamaofamiyour work yesterday was quite lucrative.  Job well done!

Better get ready because I have to run into the grocery for something before my appointment.  Back this afternoon to check in.

• Like 23

Good morning Rich, and many thanks for your dedication to our Daily. You'll be so busy when our ships are on the move! So exciting!

Thanks to everyone who contributes to our Daily. Ever faithful. Has anyone heard from @DeeniEncinitas?

So I'm not keen on watermelon. I love pecans and have to admit Georgia pecans are tastier than pecans here in Texas. Many varieties are available. @kazu we used to have lumps in our bark from squirrels burying their peanuts. We even had them in our BBQ grill. 

We had heavy rain and thunderstorms most of the day and evening. Cloudy today with high of 90. Going to a garden party next door tonight.

Wishing everyone a great day. Blessings, Cheers and Prayers 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 21

17 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good morning and thanks for the update.

National Night Out  is a community based celebration designed to bring police and first responders together with people in an enjoyable evening. Many serve free food and have special entertainment. Unfortunately, the one I usually attend is canceled again this year.   It is always held the 1st Tuesday in August.  A great event always well attended.

Thanks for the full explanation 👍 

• Like 9