HEY Royal Caribbean, here is an idea

Why not do 2 kinds of cruises...

100% vaccinated from states allowing that (meaning 100% NO EXCEPTIONS) and

Cruises for unvaxed and mixed 

So that those of us who are vaxed , don't have to mask and test or anything else you makeup tomorrow and add to the protocols.

This could work if people were allowed to lift and shift to different ships on the same week they are already booked on.

At this point I'd give up Symphony for a ship less-than... IF 100% VAXED so I don't have to cancel.

• Like 11

46 minutes ago, newcruzer2 said:

Why not do 2 kinds of cruises...

100% vaccinated from states allowing that (meaning 100% NO EXCEPTIONS) and

Cruises for unvaxed and mixed 

So that those of us who are vaxed , don't have to mask and test or anything else you makeup tomorrow and add to the protocols.

This could work if people were allowed to lift and shift to different ships on the same week they are already booked on.

At this point I'd give up Symphony for a ship less-than... IF 100% VAXED so I don't have to cancel.

Their ships are really geared for families so it’s unlikely they’d only want adults. When kids can be vaccinated this would be more reasonable.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Yeah, I already suggested that a few days ago....doesn't look like they noticed.

The government of the U.S. Virgin Islands has informed Royal Caribbean of a new policy that requires all cruise passengers ages 12 and older to be fully vaccinated in order for the ship to be allowed entry into the port.

This latest requirement applies to all cruise ships scheduled to enter U.S. Virgin Island ports. 

In a statement by the cruise line, Royal Caribbean will require all guests ages 12 and older to provide proof of vaccination in order to sail on itineraries visiting the U.S. Virgin Islands.

• Like 6

We've sailed on Grandeur and Enchantment, out of Baltimore, for years.  Apart from one August cruise that had a number of kids aboard, I would not call RC there a "family" cruise line.  I'm sure they could easily fill a ship with vaccinated adults only.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

We've sailed on Grandeur and Enchantment, out of Baltimore, for years.  Apart from one August cruise that had a number of kids aboard, I would not call RC there a "family" cruise line.  I'm sure they could easily fill a ship with vaccinated adults only.

Cruises from Baltimore are normally longer cruises. Families have to plan around a school schedule so 7 nights work better for them.
Cruise in the summer out of FL, you'll notice the kids!! 

• Like 2

Royal Caribbean made the choice to be a family cruise line opting to be inclusive of children across the fleet.  That compliments Celebrity in the RCG family which chose the no kids approach which works somewhat better for that brand.  

Had their crystal ball forecast the explosion in delta who knows if they would have chosen the same, however they made the decision to be a family brand across the fleet.  

Some ships are going out with low 90's in terms of percent vax, like 92% or 93% so would it really make that much difference?  

Cruising during the restart won't be for everyone and it is impossible to please everyone.  If they tried to make certain ships vax only that wouldn't please everyone either because people would second their choice of ships or home ports.  People would complain because one unvax itinerary or ship is better than another vax itinerary or ship, in their eyes.  There is no pleasing everyone.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

And now that there are a lot of breakthrough infections, what is the point?

No - Breakthrough  cases are at .08%. The vaccines were never 100%effective - breakthrough cases were expected, but they do provide extremely good protection from serious illness.

If you are vaccinated - stop worrying and live your life.

Edited by mek
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, twangster said:

There is no pleasing everyone.  

P.T. Barnum: "You can please some of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

• Like 4

There are some cruise lines that could get away with this. Viking and Ama come to mind, probably Seabourn. Those boats are loaded with old rich people who don't tend to bring children.

Not Royal Caribbean though. The majority of revenue generating itineraries would no longer be profitable if families were blocked from booking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

Cruises from Baltimore are normally longer cruises. Families have to plan around a school schedule so 7 nights work better for them.

exactly. Or any spring break, Thanksgiving or Christmas break. Some schools also have a mid-October break.

We are limited to those, since we have a school-aged kid who is not homeschooled. 

1 hour ago, mek said:

No - Breakthrough  cases are at .08%. The vaccines were never 100%effective - breakthrough cases were expected, but they do provide extremely good protection from serious illness.

If you are vaccinated - stop worrying and live your life.

as far as I understand, breakthrough cases are only reported if there is a hospitalization or death involved. Other than that, no one is counting.

There is a story on the news right now about 11 of the 15 party goers (all vaxxed) contracting covid at that party. That's a lot more than 0.08%.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

as far as I understand, breakthrough cases are only reported if there is a hospitalization or death involved. Other than that, no one is counting.

There is a story on the news right now about 11 of the 15 party goers (all vaxxed) contracting covid at that party. That's a lot more than 0.08%.

Well, I will have to look into that, but honestly if people are getting the DV and not requiring hospitalization that means the vaccines are working. Please explain how is that really different from the flu - which up until last year, nobody really paid much attention to.

"While the impact of flu varies, it places a substantial burden on the health of people in the United States each year. CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010."

Edited by mek
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ArthurUSCG said:

Lets be realistic, once school starts later this month, except for Thanksgiving, Christmas and spring breaks, there are very few school age children onboard. RCL could easily do 100/95% vaxed cruises.

Yes they could.

8 minutes ago, mek said:

Well, I will have to look into that, but honestly if people are getting the DV and not requiring hospitalization that means the vaccines are working. Please explain how is that really different from the flu - which up until last year, nobody really paid much attention to.

"While the impact of flu varies, it places a substantial burden on the health of people in the United States each year. CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010."

Edit - you are correct - currently breakthrough cases are only counted if cases require hospitalization, so I guess I'm still puzzled as to why this is such a concern to those who are vaccinated?   It seems that many of the breakthrough cases are asymptomatic and others get a cold/runny nose.

Covid is never going away - it will become endemic,  just like the flu and we need to continue to get as many people vaccinated as possible.

I'm vaccinated and not worried.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, tserface said:

Their ships are really geared for families so it’s unlikely they’d only want adults. When kids can be vaccinated this would be more reasonable.

They may be geared for family cruises, however I am darned sure they will sail under any circumstances they can at the present time. 

If that means there are restrictions due to Covid so be it. It is not WHAT THE CRUISE LINE WANTS, IT IS WHAT THEY CAN DO TO SAIL..

They have to sail or go out of business. 

I am sure they can get 50-60 % occupancy with the new restrictions and at least generate revenue..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

To at least begin sailing and generating revenue the line will do whatever it can. 

If it means sailing at 50% and tight restrictions on the 12 year-old thing I am sure they will have NO PROBLEM getting half a ship filled with adults. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

P.T. Barnum: "You can please some of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

And if you can't please everyone show them the way to the egress..  LOL

egress.jpg