Silversea Air

RetiredandTravel

Few Questions

1) Does anyone have the list of US origin cities in the program?

2) When do you pay for the program and how does reimbursement work if you cancel?

3) On a flight to Europe would the connections be limited to one?

40 (edited) In the program can you leave a few days early?  Knowing I would be responsible for transfers.

thanks

Edited by RetiredandTravel
added update

All best discussed with your travel agent or your SS representative, a very complex set of questions but I will try to answer in brief. SS make all things possible if they can.   If you book travel through SS you pay at the same time as you pay for your cruise, you may pay a supplement for upgraded travel.   Reimbursement is as per the booking terms and conditions which are a bit of a moving feast at the moment although apparently settling a bit as the world slowly moves towards "normality".  Amending date  of travel (going early or coming back after end of cruise) is possible, sometimes incurs an amendent fee but if requested well in advance tends not to.   Number of changes?   Depends where you are travelling from and to and also if you have a preference as to which airline you fly with.   So still lots of unanswered questions there I am afraid.  

Thank you.

We generally make our own air arrangements.  The cruise we are considering ends in Venice which makes the final port uncertain.  SS is offering +699 each way for business class.  Considering the Venice situation my thought process is maybe its better to have SS responsible for getting us home.  If SS picks a port (Ravenna or Trieste) thats 2-3 hours away a car service to Venice airport will probably be at least $300.  Not the end of the day but adds to the cost calculation.  There also not many options back to the US after 12 noon from Venice, disembarking at a distant port makes this much less likely.

I've looked for the list of US cities eligible and cant seem to find it.

• Like 1

Good morning, I agree with labrasett and best to speak with your TA or SS rep.  But I can tell you that yes, you can can fly in early and use their air. I do it every sailing that goes from Europe. I always arrive at least a day early. And yes, you can stay later and still use the program for that return flight home.

(I am doing this for a cruise to Lisbon in October). Going early and staying an extra day at the end. 

And my city is not on the list to fly from so my rep has to make the change......she is the best and picks up that change fee for me though😃

• Like 1

In the pre covid era we (read: moi) made all our air/transfer arrangements for over 17 cruises vs taking Silversea air.  Now, defer to Silversea unless it is a straight forward crossing that returns to Florida (e.g the Silver Spirit this November, on the fall crossing Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale)

Last March on the Silver Cloud Cape to Cape voyage, the 2021 World Cruise and the Shadow cruise in South America (believe Recife), those Silversea guests who booked their air with Silversea were able to allow Silversea air work their air magic to get them home from Capetown (Cloud), Sydney (Whisper) and Brazil (Shadow).  Those that did their own air worked extra hard to connect (spending an hour or more on their suite phone)to their respective air reservations department and to find space to make their own arrangements to get home.

Just something to consider as we now enter the Covid Delta Variant period, finding remasking in places, and  continued quarantines in others.

Edited by WesW
  • Thanks 2

Just a slight correction, WesW.  We were on the ill-fated Shadow Grand Voyage when we were quarantined in Recife.  We were told that our return flight was arranged by the State Dept.with Royal's input.  I'm pretty sure if Silversea had arranged it, we would have been given more food than a dry cheese sandwich & a fake oreo.😀 for the 10 hour flight to DFW...  Not to mention the flight attendants who treated us like wardens in a leper colony. The onward flights from DFW were arranged by Silversea on 7-8 private jets so no matter how our original homeward flights from  FLL (or for those not on the Grand Voyage, from whichever Caribbean port were booked) we were all taken care of.  I will always be in awe of the Miami team for their care & awesome attitude.  Mr. Conroy & his team were at the hangar at DFW to welcome us & FEED us.

But with the subsequent cancelations of additional booked cruises, I wouldn't dream of making our own air arrangement.  Pennywise, pound foolish.

Air deviation charges are minimal...or at least they used to be, & they are so worth it, Gourmet Gal, plus, they will work with you on the better & more flexible flights from/to your city (SFO?)

• Like 5

Yes, nowornever, SF and we’ve always had to pay air deviations, usually more than the SS standard business class fee but always still less than booking ourselves.  I’m a little choosy regarding airline, aircraft, routing and arrival times and we usually add quite a bit time into any cruise length so there are extra fees.

Plus for those, like us, looking at 2023 cruises, Silversea is really asking a lot for air, & even worse for biz class upgrades.  I do understand that makes good business sense for them, and the protection it offers may be priceless, but not sure that's true.  Penny wise pound foolish, or am I seeing gouging? 

• Like 1

Economically SS business class is a reasonable deal to Europe & not to Australia/NZ (unless its a direct flight to Sydney from LAX)

I'm currently researching 2 cruises to Europe and 1 to AU/NZ in 2023/24.  All my vacations are land based until 2023.

The cost of the SS Europe biz class tickets, includes transfers, is $2300 (900+(699x2)).

If I book myself the cost is $2600 (depends on transfer cost).  SS reduces the cost by $900 if I book myself.  Biz class tickets cost 3000 - 900 (SS reduction) + 500 (transfers/probably high) = $2600

The cost of SS biz class to AU/NZ (includes transfers & 1 night hotel) is very high $8500 (2500+6000).  If I book my trip (replicate my trip with 2022 tickets) my cost is $5500.  Biz class tickets $7000-2500(SS cost red) + 500 (transfers) +500 (hotel).  The tickets direct round trip from LAX to SYD are very expensive $12-15k so SS would be a great deal if they are direct.

In todays world the advantages of SS being responsible mentioned above are very compelling, but if I make the reservations myself I do get to dictate the schedule.

ty

14 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Plus for those, like us, looking at 2023 cruises, Silversea is really asking a lot for air, & even worse for biz class upgrades.  I do understand that makes good business sense for them, and the protection it offers may be priceless, but not sure that's true.  Penny wise pound foolish, or am I seeing gouging? 

I think this really depends on where you are flying.  I took the BC air upgrade of $2149 (one way) for a 2023 cruise beginning in Singapore.  There's no way I could get that on my own -- even accounting for the included economy air credit.  Yes, I could fly for less in economy or even premium economy; however, a long-haul flight -- 17 hours -- in economy is just not the way I want to start my trip.  I did notice in mid-July a lot of BC upgrades were dropped (as it was for my cruise) or the price increased.  My guess is SS is adjusting their air prices based on actual air costs. 

The bottom line is, as always, everyone has to run the numbers and see what works best for them.

26 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

I think this really depends on where you are flying.  I took the BC air upgrade of $2149 (one way) for a 2023 cruise beginning in Singapore.  There's no way I could get that on my own -- even accounting for the included economy air credit.  Yes, I could fly for less in economy or even premium economy; however, a long-haul flight -- 17 hours -- in economy is just not the way I want to start my trip.  I did notice in mid-July a lot of BC upgrades were dropped (as it was for my cruise) or the price increased.  My guess is SS is adjusting their air prices based on actual air costs. 

The bottom line is, as always, everyone has to run the numbers and see what works best for them.

Hi🙂....did you mean to say they dropped the BC upgrade and DEcreased the price? 

And I agree with your last sentence 100% we all have to do what is best for ourselves. I booked a cruise to Australia and am not flying all those hours without being in Business Class. It was pricey but the trip is in 2023 so I have the time to get that $$$ put aside👍....the whole trip is probably one of the most I have spent on a cruise......but I have the opportunity and am taking it!

(It is not probably***).........it is most I have ever spent.......

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

Hi🙂....did you mean to say they dropped the BC upgrade and DEcreased the price? 

The price of my cruise remains unchanged.  The BC upgrade offer has been removed altogether.  (Since we are so far out perhaps SS will offer it again in the future).  

When I mentioned increases I meant on other interesting cruises I had been watching.  For many of those I noticed the BC air offers were removed or increased in price.

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

And I agree with your last sentence 100% we all have to do what is best for ourselves. I booked a cruise to Australia and am not flying all those hours without being in Business Class. It was pricey but the trip is in 2023 so I have the time to get that $$$ put aside👍....the whole trip is probably one of the most I have spent on a cruise......but I have the opportunity and am taking it!

Same here! It's definitely the most I've spent, but it checks a lot of boxes for me.

Booking a round trip when you, even from a different not to far away is a savings.  We were looking at one way Business Class ticket to Singapore - Cost $4,200.— Then add return from Hong Kong total for both segments was $5,300.  

4 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Booking a round trip when you, even from a different not to far away is a savings.  We were looking at one way Business Class ticket to Singapore - Cost $4,200.— Then add return from Hong Kong total for both segments was $5,300.  

I think Singapore & United fly non-stop to Singapore and Hong Kong from SFO so its considered a multi city usually much cheaper.

3 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I think Singapore & United fly non-stop to Singapore and Hong Kong from SFO so its considered a multi city usually much cheaper.

Yes, that’s one I priced, also American and Cathy Pacific.

Sorry I was under the impression you were trying to buy two one way tickets. 

I just checked SFO=>SIN (non stop) and HKG=>SFO (non stop) leaving on dates that coordinate (Jan 2 & 19) with the SS Singapore to Hong Kong cruise in January and Singapore air was $5500 round trip total and United $7000 round trip total.  

You must have popular dates.

This was a cruise I was considering at one point so I check the air tickets.

I got the UA confirmation numbers/letters from my TA today and when I looked at it they had me flying economy, not business class that we paid for. She sent a note to the air dept---never trust--verify. It's not until next Mar--but good grief, no way am I sitting in econ for 12+ hours!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silkismom said:

I got the UA confirmation numbers/letters from my TA today and when I looked at it they had me flying economy, not business class that we paid for. She sent a note to the air dept---never trust--verify. It's not until next Mar--but good grief, no way am I sitting in econ for 12+ hours!!!

It’s always best to re check everything when it comes to travel.  Mistakes happen more than you think.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/4/2021 at 1:16 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

I’ll be arriving 4 days before embarkation and returning 2 weeks after disembarkation London to Lisbon.  Have been told it is not a problem but of course there will be air deviation charges.

I know this post of yours is two years old but I'm trying to determine if SS will allow a deviation at the end of my cruise in Lisbon for 1 or 2 weeks. What was your experience in managing a deviation?

Thank you!

10 hours ago, number one eagles fan said:

I know this post of yours is two years old but I'm trying to determine if SS will allow a deviation at the end of my cruise in Lisbon for 1 or 2 weeks. What was your experience in managing a deviation?

Thank you!

SS just couldn’t give me a good itinerary so we took the air credit and booked on our own.  The fees are usually $150 for each deviation per person so ours would have been at least $300 extra PP plus if they could have booked my choice of airline another more sizable upcharge would have been incurred.  

• Like 1