Updated FAQ - Covid Test Required eff 8/15

Stevanb

Stopped at our local Walgreens yesterday just to check. Rapid antigen test is available in drive thru at no charge. Results in about 30min. What the status will be when I need it, nobody knows. I find it interesting and sad that the availability and cost vary so much in different parts of the country. Princess should allow either a test before arrival (3 day) and walk on, or provide a free test at the pier  and you wait for the results in a separate area. I see benefits of both depending on availability/cost. Best of luck to all in this ever changing world.

• Like 4

The email we received said these requirements were thru Oct. 31. We're keeping our Nov. 3 cruise. It will be only our 2nd balcony in 22 cruises, & our 1st cruise as elites. So I'm not cancelling. They'll have to take it from me. Lol. We all have experienced many changes over this past year. A lot can change in the next 3 months.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Just be aware that through a date does not mean it cannot be extended. If anything, protocols have become increasingly more strict as time passes.

Exactly right. If protocols become stricter, but our cruise does set sail, we'll be on it. We're eager to resume cruising & will adjust to the new normal. 😊

• Like 5

If I have to wear a mask on the cruise, I will be wearing it. At least I will be on a cruise. Things can change. The cruise lines don't want a repeat of shutting down. I think they have been playing a waiting game, between each other, to see who would go out first. To see what problems would arise. They don't want a Grand of Diamond incident to happen again. A friend of mine was on the Grand. They had to quarantine. Because of that, would never cruise again. Said in was a nightmare.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 007colocruz said:

We are getting different answers to cancellation penalties. 
I am not going to cancel, but wouldn’t be surprised if Princess eventually does. 

some say they are getting 100 percent refund to credit card

a

Rep Sabrina told me Regular cancellation penalty applies 

Sabrina said Book with Confidence only applies when Princess cancels & you get FCC

. Clearly Sabrina at Princess  needs further training. 

worth calling a couple of times. 

it sounds like it would be worth it for you to call again.   Book with confidence is about the customer cancelling not Princess.  I am not sure if it would apply to.cancellations because you are uncomfortable sailing now that testing/ masking is required but here is the link so you can see where your cruise fits in relative to timelines and situation. 

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cancellation-final-payment-policy/

3 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

it sounds like it would be worth it for you to call again.   Book with confidence is about the customer cancelling not Princess.  I am not sure if it would apply to.cancellations because you are uncomfortable sailing now that testing/ masking is required but here is the link so you can see where your cruise fits in relative to timelines and situation. 

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cancellation-final-payment-policy/

Thanks

I am not canceling. Telephone tag & waiting on hold for  over an hour to be disconnected isn’t worth it to me 

I am sure the links might help others who want to cancel. Thanks. 

23 minutes ago, Greg4502 said:

If I have to wear a mask on the cruise, I will be wearing it. At least I will be on a cruise. Things can change. The cruise lines don't want a repeat of shutting down. I think they have been playing a waiting game, between each other, to see who would go out first. To see what problems would arise. They don't want a Grand of Diamond incident to happen again. A friend of mine was on the Grand. They had to quarantine. Because of that, would never cruise again. Said in was a nightmare.

While most will agree that the cruise lines don't want to shut down again, and a repeat of 2020, and that your/our mask acceptance will help that cause..

But it should not be overlooked that personally for many, and by in large from a customer/consumer point of view, cruising remains a very expensive recreational choice, and not a casual mandatory activity, so while the leap to masks, and restrictions as a solution for cruise lines is a easy one, it may not be for customers, there's been a shift, consumers in general have come to feel that it's not 2020 anymore, mind sets have changed, the sacrifice, and concessions of the past year may not be so easily over looked going forward when so many other mask-less, and less restrictive recreational alternatives exist for their 2021 vacation dollar 

YMMV

• Like 4

Guest Snaxmuppet
10 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

I shall agree to disagree...I am courteous...I am vaccinated...I will not go anywhere that requires a mask in public...so I guess that is compliance...luckily, we have no such restrictions in any of the states I travel to.

No cruising for you then for quite sometime I expect.

45 minutes ago, srpilo said:

While most will agree that the cruise lines don't want to shut down again, and a repeat of 2020, and that your/our mask acceptance will help that cause..

But it should not be overlooked that personally for many, and by in large from a customer/consumer point of view, cruising remains a very expensive recreational choice, and not a casual mandatory activity, so while the leap to masks, and restrictions as a solution for cruise lines is a easy one, it may not be for customers, there's been a shift, consumers in general have come to feel that it's not 2020 anymore, mind sets have changed, the sacrifice, and concessions of the past year may not be so easily over looked going forward when so many other mask-less, and less restrictive recreational alternatives exist for their 2021 vacation dollar 

YMMV

This is the most intelligent statement on the subject I've seen yet.  The negative test requirement is already hitting their bottom line because people can't get an appointment or results in time to sail. Dozens of cancellations a day is not a sustainable business model when you are already bleeding passengers and fighting negative publicity, and I assure you the diverting of precious testing resources from hard hit communities is not going to win anybody over. 

In my circle in life, I'm the only one that cruises, don't know of a single other family member, friend, coworker, or neighbor that cruises.  How do they plan on attracting new cruisers with a test that, by the way, is impossible to get..."but make a reservation anyway, you might get lucky and if you don't, well, maybe we'll refund your money"! 

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

No cruising for you then for quite sometime I expect.

Which is fine with me...many other wonderful places to see and things to do.  Our next scheduled cruise is January of 2023...10 day Southern so I expect it to be "normal" by then.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shirt-man said:

We are getting a full refund for our 8-15 cruise. Tell them you are canceling because of Covid restrictions. See if that works.

We are also getting a full refund for 8/15 due to covid restrictions. We booked through Costco and I had 2 agents call Princess--first to confirm this was an option and second to actually make the cancellation w/o penalties.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Teri1956 said:

Hubby and I were scheduled for 8/15.  Sadly, we had to cancel due to the testing requirement.  We live in a very small town - doctors will only give referrals for testing if you have symptoms.  The Walgreens and Rite Aid nearest to us have a 3-7 day turn around time for results as they use an outside lab.  After most of the day spent trying to figure out testing I gave up!  I did find one place but $239 per person was ridiculous and was over an hour away!

additionally the mask mandate is ridiculous!  

IMHO. Princess should have offered testing at embarkation.  

fortunately Princess refunded 100% and it will be back to us in 5-7 days!

We were on 8/15 as well and cancelled due to the mask issue. We wouldn't be any good to be around each other or fellow guests under those circumstances. We were told 3-4 weeks for the refund and you're the 2nd post I've seen that said 5-7 days which would be wonderful. We're looking at alternatives for a road trip now!

Edited by ABTM101

4 hours ago, 1965 said:

The email we received said these requirements were thru Oct. 31. We're keeping our Nov. 3 cruise. It will be only our 2nd balcony in 22 cruises, & our 1st cruise as elites. So I'm not cancelling. They'll have to take it from me. Lol. We all have experienced many changes over this past year. A lot can change in the next 3 months.  

👍 ya, I wasn't planning on taking a vacation to get away from wearing a mask anyway. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, c-boy said:

👍 ya, I wasn't planning on taking a vacation to get away from wearing a mask anyway. 

28 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

Our next cruise isn't until November 5th, so we are hoping these new rules do indeed expire on Oct 31st!  But, if they don't, we are still going to cruise!

masks ready - check

booster needed ? - no problem

pre-cruise test - multiple options nearby

if REGAL sails at the end on November, we be on it like bluebonnet

• Like 4

Maybe, just maybe, after Oct 31, 2021 and after the booster shot, the cruise lines only need to report cases, just like how they deal with Noro, and they could dictate their own Covid protocol for fully vaccinated cruises...whoever comfortable will sail on a fully vaccinated cruise.

I made an appointment at CVS for August 19 at 3 p.m. That will be 72 hours before my boarding group on the August 22 just in case. DH had to have a test today. He just went back to the office on Monday, and yesterday they sent everyone home to work remotely again. A few people had been in the office for several weeks. This was the first week with everyone back. 

I have decided to skip going to gym during the next two weeks. I had been wearing a mask while there for the past couple of weeks--after the delta variant became all the rage in the news. And I am wearing a mask while shopping again. It was so nice not to for the past few months. That said, I can abide by the rules while on the ship and hope to have a wonderful cruise. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

Stopped at our local Walgreens yesterday just to check. Rapid antigen test is available in drive thru at no charge. Results in about 30min. What the status will be when I need it, nobody knows. I find it interesting and sad that the availability and cost vary so much in different parts of the country. Princess should allow either a test before arrival (3 day) and walk on, or provide a free test at the pier  and you wait for the results in a separate area. I see benefits of both depending on availability/cost. Best of luck to all in this ever changing world.

Musky Mike, I just came back from our local Walgreens pharmacy. You are correct, the tests are free and they have up to three different types of tests available. The rapid diagnostic test will have your result back in 24 hours by E-mail. Go to walgreens.com/covid for all the information to make an appointment. Make sure you enter your city and state for the nearest Walgreens to make an appointment. The site will show you all the information along with videos. Just enter your personal information along with a few questions, very easy. I hope this helps out some folks.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

I just wanted to let you know how my process went. I did the test and asked how long it would take. They said I would have the results in 60 minutes. I went back to my office and at 90 minutes I called - I just wanted to make sure it was not inconclusive and that they had a result. I didn't know if they would give me the results over the phone. The pharmacist told me to hold on, he came back and asked me for my birthday and then told me the test was negative. He was surprised I did not receive the results yet via email. The email is sent from a lab.

I waited 24 hours and called the lab (it was in the paperwork they gave me). The woman said "they were behind"..... Though she then did tell me my results and immediately emailed me. 

So if you don't get a response quickly - call the lab.

When I got the paperwork - I could tell that Walgreens had the results in 20 minutes. I don't know if the lab dropped the ball on just mine that day but a friend had a similar situation 24 hours later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kenosha Cruiser said:

Musky Mike, I just came back from our local Walgreens pharmacy. You are correct, the tests are free and they have up to three different types of tests available. The rapid diagnostic test will have your result back in 24 hours by E-mail. Go to walgreens.com/covid for all the information to make an appointment. Make sure you enter your city and state for the nearest Walgreens to make an appointment. The site will show you all the information along with videos. Just enter your personal information along with a few questions, very easy. I hope this helps out some folks.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

The rapid test does say 24 hours to get the results to you though - they know within 20-30 minutes.

My area only had 2 of the 3 tests. Rapid and PCR.

Our area Walgreens did not allow appointments that day online. My coworker called Walgreens and they told her to schedule it for the next day and once she was in the system, she could come that day. It was a situation where they needed to know. If you are going to do this, make sure you schedule a day out or call Walgreens and see if you can schedule the next day and show up that day.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had physical therapy today - mask required, mask on for all

went to Publix - mask required for workers , not required for shoppers  -  we wore our masks

went to Post Office - mask on - bank drive thru - mask off in car - teller had mask on

we will wear masks on the ship as required, and in some situations even when just suggested ... will we spend more time on our deluxe true aft balcony with PLUS - prolly - but wearing masks will not stop us from doing the things we normally do on the ship, if available

• Like 3