No Pier Testing: Do The Cruise Lines Want To Lose More Money/Customers?

atexsix

I'm not getting this, from a business perspective it makes absolutely no sense.  The cruise lines seem more comfortable with lost revenue from cancellations and possible negative word of mouth advertising than making the slightest effort to come up with something that could be done just prior to boarding.  Why would they do that?  I don't know of any other business that could stay afloat (no pun intended) with those types of requirements, it's hard enough for many of them to require the vaccine.  And as I've stated elsewhere today, they are unfairly taking away resources that are in limited supply in many places and needed for people that are really sick.  Cruise passengers have tried and they are being turned down or having to drive hundreds of miles.  Some people are having no problem locating a test, but that's not the case for most people, I'm hearing of 1/2 dozen cancellations a day now on cruise critic alone.  I'm seeing more sign-ups of new cruise critics members than ever, people have nowhere else to go, the cruise lines are certainly not providing answers.

After paying thousands of dollars, whether or not somebody gets to cruise or not, seems to boil down to a crapshoot at this point.  Courtesy of an industry that rakes in millions and pays no taxes.  Let's give the public another reason to despise cruise ships shall we?!

• Like 8

Part of the problem is that there is no room to test at that pier.  It’s just not big enough.

HAL needs to find a solution to this IMO.

Testing is being done in Greece for those sailings at the pier as there is sufficient space.

I suspect (hope) we will see some back tracking from HAL.  It would make sense for them to bus people to a testing site and then to the cruise ship when there isn’t enough room at the pier to test.

The change is sudden - I suspect that we will see some amendments shortly 🤞 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

It would make sense for them to bus people to a testing site and then to the cruise ship when there isn’t enough room at the pier to test.

But what would happen on a bus filled with people if one or two tested positive? what would that mean for those others?

Edited by rucrazy
spelling
  • Like 4

Just now, rucrazy said:

But what would happen on a buss filled with people if one or two tested positive? what would that mean for those others?

Good question.  I was just seeking potential solutions as it’s not easy for everyone to obtain testing.  However, If everyone is properly masked, it would be no different from being on a plane.  And, the buses wouldn’t have to be filled to maximum capacity.

No easy answer, I fear.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just one of several reasons why we are not shopping booking, or even considering a cruise at this point.

Far too many moving parts.  Covid is a moving target.   Governments and travel providers of all types are trying their best to respond. 

Covid is far from static so I expect Governments and travel vendors to continue to have changing approaches/rules.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

I suspect (hope) we will see some back tracking from HAL.  It would make sense for them to bus people to a testing site and then to the cruise ship when there isn’t enough room at the pier to test.

What a great idea for a pre-cruise excursion for HAL to sell. "Best of Seattle plus antigen test tour".

• Like 10
  • Haha 11

Celebrity is also sailing from Seattle (as well as from Fort Lauderdale with several ships) and is requiring testing in advance as well. 

They initially provided a directive about three days before the first sailing that required testing and said they would provide at the port. (This was in Port Everglades.) This resulted in a HUGE back-up of passengers waiting in the hot sun awaiting their turn to get tested and to board.

Remember, in COVID times they are trying to adhere to social distancing and may have a finite number of people allowed in the terminal at any given time. Others are going to have to wait in line outside, in whatever weather conditions turn up. Some people were passing out in the Florida heat.

I think the European sailings are going out with less than 50% capacity, whereas the US sailings are trying to ramp up to a greater capacity. More pax = more time needed for testing and awaiting results.

I do not necessarily think that testing onsite is a great option.... just my 2 cents.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 6

On the one hand, I see the benefit of testing before getting on a flight (quarantine issues, preventing spread during travel, logistics nightmare if positive at the pier, etc.). On the other hand, if this had been me 3 years ago, it would have been difficult for us to do the 72 hours as we were out in Olympic NP pre-cruise. Cell service was spotty, facilities limited. What about those who are somewhere remote or miss the email for 8/14 for whatever reason?

Then you have what happened last week with Celebrity Edge testing passengers prior to boarding (on their dime) that seemed to take forever. Thankfully, they got $200 OBC per cabin for their troubles. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2793817-edge-july-31/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-61561755

Would OBC help in HAL’s situation right now for those sailing on 8/14? 

There are no easy answers. But one thing I do know: when you change a policy, you better think it through A to Z, anticipate questions, have the answers, and distribute those answers to your customer service agents and clients, so there’s no back-and-forth about things that might potentially keep a passenger from boarding!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 6

Someone on another thread suggested offering some kind of carrot to encourage people to test on their own before arriving at the pier; then offer tests at the pier for those who couldn't accomplish this.  To me, that was the best idea.

Apparently tests are very hard to come by in some communities and those with extended travel are having difficulties coordinating the timing of the tests.  Those people should be accommodated, IMHO.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I'm not getting this, from a business perspective it makes absolutely no sense.  The cruise lines seem more comfortable with lost revenue from cancellations and possible negative word of mouth advertising than making the slightest effort to come up with something that could be done just prior to boarding.  Why would they do that?  I don't know of any other business that could stay afloat (no pun intended) with those types of requirements, it's hard enough for many of them to require the vaccine.  And as I've stated elsewhere today, they are unfairly taking away resources that are in limited supply in many places and needed for people that are really sick.  Cruise passengers have tried and they are being turned down or having to drive hundreds of miles.  Some people are having no problem locating a test, but that's not the case for most people, I'm hearing of 1/2 dozen cancellations a day now on cruise critic alone.  I'm seeing more sign-ups of new cruise critics members than ever, people have nowhere else to go, the cruise lines are certainly not providing answers.

After paying thousands of dollars, whether or not somebody gets to cruise or not, seems to boil down to a crapshoot at this point.  Courtesy of an industry that rakes in millions and pays no taxes.  Let's give the public another reason to despise cruise ships shall we?!

There is a covid testing sight at Sea-Tac (mezzanine level) with same day results at $250.00 per person, Hal should be able to arrange something there and pick up the tab..

• Like 1

One of the main problems with the testing option is that the PCR test results are often not available in the 72 hours. That limits us to the antigen. Our insurance does not cover this so we are paying 90 dollars each for the rapid antigen test.  

We have located a local pharmacy that will do the test but hope HAL makes some changes before our 8/21 sailing to Alaska. 

• Like 2

The small ships are doing tests at the pier, and it is very successful.

Bigger ships have a bigger challenge. One testing machine that can process 4 PCR tests in one hour costs 47,000 euros. A small ship with several machines can process tests for all pax in a few hours. A big ship would need dozens of these machines and would still require days to process all the tests.

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

Ah...Hawaii requires a negative test, at the traveler's expense, under 72 hours from scheduled flight departure. Believe me, business has not suffered i n Hawaii. And no one is demanding Hawaii pay for the test.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Part of the problem is that there is no room to test at that pier.  It’s just not big enough.

HAL needs to find a solution to this IMO.

Testing is being done in Greece for those sailings at the pier as there is sufficient space.

The change is sudden - I suspect that we will see some amendments shortly 🤞 

They are testing at the pier in Greece because the country (Greece) requires it as part of the ships protocols for sailing. Has nothing to do with space.  MSC did the same for their cruises in Europe.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BruceMuzz said:

The small ships are doing tests at the pier, and it is very successful.

Bigger ships have a bigger challenge. One testing machine that can process 4 PCR tests in one hour costs 47,000 euros. A small ship with several machines can process tests for all pax in a few hours. A big ship would need dozens of these machines and would still require days to process all the tests.

Seems that they have been testing at the pier in Europe quite successfully on day of departure for large ships.  MSC for example did it for all of their cruises during the pandemic.  Everyone gets an antigen test, any positives get a confirming PCR.

The difference is that the test at time of boarding is part of the country required protocols there.

Part of the issue I have with this is springing this on people so close to their trip departure.  Many people (especially for those supposed to take cruises in the next few weeks) planned out their travel plans to get to Seattle a while ago and it's very expensive to change them.  Some people are planning on getting in to Seattle a number of days before their cruise and would have to now arrange to get a covid test in Seattle where they likely don't know the area at all and my have limited transportation options.  HAL should do something to accommodate these individuals, whether it be testing at the pier or providing them testing availability at a location near the pier that they can do prior to their embarkation date.

I'm on the 8/21 cruise and luckily since I live in Los Angeles, testing options are abundant here and I was able to schedule an antigen test at CVS on 8/18.  I definitely feel bad for everyone who doesn't have the same voluminous options that I have and can see all the added stress and anxiety this is adding.  Plus the lack of clarification from HAL about the hours v. days the test needs to be taken in, the exact tests that will be accepted, what will happen if someone has taken the test but not received the results in time, etc. isn't helping anything.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, nocl said:

They are testing at the pier in Greece because the country (Greece) requires it as part of the ships protocols for sailing. Has nothing to do with space.  MSC did the same for their cruises in Europe.

Oh totally agree that it is a country requirement.  But, that port does have the space and is substantially bigger with more space at the pier than the current Alaska embarkation port and pier.

Now there are reported shortages of test kits themselves.  Someone whose child needed to be tested going to Hawaii in the last day or two had Walgreen's cancel their test appointment at the last minute because they had a shortage of testing supplies!  So we should have a couple of options that we are aware of, maybe have appointments at, that we can get the results in time from. . .  With so many people needing to be tested now, with those who are ill or suspect they are, travelers, etc., it's a jam-up at testing centers.  Aye.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Celebrity is also sailing from Seattle (as well as from Fort Lauderdale with several ships) and is requiring testing in advance as well. 

They initially provided a directive about three days before the first sailing that required testing and said they would provide at the port. (This was in Port Everglades.) This resulted in a HUGE back-up of passengers waiting in the hot sun awaiting their turn to get tested and to board.

Remember, in COVID times they are trying to adhere to social distancing and may have a finite number of people allowed in the terminal at any given time. Others are going to have to wait in line outside, in whatever weather conditions turn up. Some people were passing out in the Florida heat.

I think the European sailings are going out with less than 50% capacity, whereas the US sailings are trying to ramp up to a greater capacity. More pax = more time needed for testing and awaiting results.

I do not necessarily think that testing onsite is a great option.... just my 2 cents.

I wonder why so many people were standing in the hot sun.  If they are limiting the time when you can board surely there wasn't 1000 people standing there.  I find for some people think drinking a tsp a day of water is adequate.  You need to be hydrated and that "may" help with randomly passing out.

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I wonder why so many people were standing in the hot sun.  If they are limiting the time when you can board surely there wasn't 1000 people standing there.  I find for some people think drinking a tsp a day of water is adequate.  You need to be hydrated and that "may" help with randomly passing out.

The testing situation backed things up. People were arriving for their scheduled time and the ones in front of them hadn't even moved. There was almost no seating available. I think there was some event onboard that precipitated additional delay.  Whatever, it was a warning that things can go south in a hurry. 

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The testing situation backed things up. People were arriving for their scheduled time and the ones in front of them hadn't even moved. There was almost no seating available. I think there was some event onboard that precipitated additional delay.  Whatever, it was a warning that things can go south in a hurry. 

It doesn't sound like a barrel of fun for those folks that are trying to find tests to go on cruises that are close in.  I made final payment on a B2B cruise this week and  I feel totally duped.  I was ok with getting a test before hand (at least I think I can although it will be costly) I have no idea how I'm going to manage the in between cruises. I have an email into my PCC but she's off until Monday.  I have doubts that she will know the answer given this in new.  I still have a few months to go so hopefully the situation will be better.  I have taken cancel for any reason and Hal air but if I exercise that I will still be out around $1K which I'd rather not be.