Planned to board Odyssey tomorrow but we all have Covid!

6 minutes ago, fla33023 said:

My 11-yr-old recently contacted Covid at summer camp. My husband, her and myself all quarantined until we got the results.  She had a very high fever (103 with Junior Advil) and a bad headache.  My husband and I only had the first Moderna shot so I kind of just waited for us to get sick. We got the shot exactly 7 days before she tested positive. There are so many questions as we both tested negative this week. Some fully vaccinated people get Covid after being near a friend of someone who had it. And here I had just one shot and was sharing the same pillow with my daughter and didn't get it. 

Sorry for your experiences and amazing that no one else got sick or showed any other symptoms.

My question revolved around RCL's requirement,  before sailing, to be tested within 3 days of sailing date.  Wondering if those that will test will quarantine prior.  I've got an Oasis sail for Sept. 5 and plan on quarantine as best as I can.  I would not be concerned if I wasn't cruising, however waited so long to sail that don't want to take any chances.

Believe me, as soon as I get in my car to drive to Bayonne, my masks goes on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nelblu said:

Sorry for your experiences and amazing that no one else got sick or showed any other symptoms.

My question revolved around RCL's requirement,  before sailing, to be tested within 3 days of sailing date.  Wondering if those that will test will quarantine prior.  I've got an Oasis sail for Sept. 5 and plan on quarantine as best as I can.  I would not be concerned if I wasn't cruising, however waited so long to sail that don't want to take any chances.

With you!

17 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Sorry to have misunderstood! We'll, I'm in FL and would certainly be quarantining beforehand. It is so sad for the OP to find out just days before the cruise that she was positive.  You have a good excuse to get out of everything for the next month. "I'm sorry I can't attend as I need to be sure I get on my cruise in September!"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fla33023 said:

Sorry to have misunderstood! We'll, I'm in FL and would certainly be quarantining beforehand. It is so sad for the OP to find out just days before the cruise that she was positive.  You have a good excuse to get out of everything for the next month. "I'm sorry I can't attend as I need to be sure I get on my cruise in September!"

Difficult to do as I have my kids and grandkids that I adore and love.  Also, have Wednesday Golf😁 which I wear mask when checking in at the clubhouse.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Difficult to do as I have my kids and grandkids that I adore and love.  Also, have Wednesday Golf😁 which I wear mask when checking in at the clubhouse.

Well one good thing is you cruise before school starts up there. Once school opens here in FL, it's not going to be good.

• Like 1

Symptoms:  

Husband had sinus congestion and a post-nasal drip where he was clearing his throat/minor cough for more than ten days.  

Kid number one -- fever and headache for one day.

Kid number two - low-grade fever, lightheaded, malaise for one day. 

Me:  fever, chills, headache, sinus congestion, minor cough, fatigue, body aches for 3 days. Loss of taste and smell came on near the end and has not returned. 

Stay negative my friends.  😉

• Like 5

On 8/7/2021 at 12:47 PM, LoriLoriLori said:

Booked on Odyssey for this Sunday August 8.

Family of four all fully vaccinated (Pfizer).  Family of four had PCR test Thursday morning.  All POSITIVE.  We all have Covid.  I am very depressed -- was so looking forward to this cruise.  We had initially booked Independence and got switched to Odyssey and upgraded to balcony rooms. We had some cool excursions planned.  

Spoke with Royal Caribbean last night.  Had to email our positive tests. Customer service person said to call back again on August 15th for a refund.  Ugh.  

Really siorry to hear this for you and the family. My buddy tested positive last week and now has pnuemonia w/ covid. He was vaccinated as well. His wife tested positive as well. She only had body aches. Both were vaxed w/ the J&J jab. What vaccine did ya'll have?

• Like 1

Just now, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Really siorry to hear this for you and the family. My buddy tested positive last week and now has pnuemonia w/ covid. He was vaccinated as well. His wife tested positive as well. She only had body aches. Both were vaxed w/ the J&J jab. What vaccine did ya'll have?

We all had Pfizer. 

26 minutes ago, LoriLoriLori said:

Symptoms:  

Husband had sinus congestion and a post-nasal drip where he was clearing his throat/minor cough for more than ten days.  

Me:  fever, chills, headache, sinus congestion, minor cough, fatigue, body aches for 3 days. Loss of taste and smell came on near the end and has not returned. 

I'm so sorry this happened to you all. The timing could not have been worse but glad everyone is doing ok. Can I ask about the no taste/smell? The day of symptoms showing is Day 1. My daughter had fever and headache. She got better every day and lost taste/smell on Day 5 (today is Day 9). She had been handling this all very well but is starting to get miserable.  How many days has it been without your taste/smell? Is it getting any better? Do you know if full taste comes back right away or is it gradual? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fla33023 said:

I'm so sorry this happened to you all. The timing could not have been worse but glad everyone is doing ok. Can I ask about the no taste/smell? The day of symptoms showing is Day 1. My daughter had fever and headache. She got better every day and lost taste/smell on Day 5 (today is Day 9). She had been handling this all very well but is starting to get miserable.  How many days has it been without your taste/smell? Is it getting any better? Do you know if full taste comes back right away or is it gradual? 

Thank you.  This past week is when I was sick and I naively did not equate my symptoms with Covid.  I had minor symptoms that started on Monday and had fever on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Noticed loss of taste and smell on Thursday.  So I am on day four of no taste or smell.  The only thing I can taste is salt. It's not getting any better but it's still early. 

I am not sure if return is gradual.  I've also heard of cases (hopefully rare) where it hasn't returned.  A few months ago I listened to a podcast about it.  The people who have long-term loss do smell retraining and it involves smelling essential oils (eucalyptus, rose, orange, lemon, etc.) and coffee grounds.  Basically you're waiting for the brain to make a connection.  Olfactory receptor neurons are thought to be damaged with Covid but the good news is that they are constantly regenerating.  So it's a waiting game.  

Wishing your daughter good health and a return of smell and taste!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LoriLoriLori said:

Thank you.  This past week is when I was sick and I naively did not equate my symptoms with Covid.  I had minor symptoms that started on Monday and had fever on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Noticed loss of taste and smell on Thursday.  So I am on day four of no taste or smell.  The only thing I can taste is salt. It's not getting any better but it's still early. 

I am not sure if return is gradual.  I've also heard of cases (hopefully rare) where it hasn't returned.  A few months ago I listened to a podcast about it.  The people who have long-term loss do smell retraining and it involves smelling essential oils (eucalyptus, rose, orange, lemon, etc.) and coffee grounds.  Basically you're waiting for the brain to make a connection.  Olfactory receptor neurons are thought to be damaged with Covid but the good news is that they are constantly regenerating.  So it's a waiting game.  

Wishing your daughter good health and a return of smell and taste!

Thank you very much! I read about the group trying to relearn how to smell and that is just depressing.  I hope at just 11, she has youth on her side to help heal quickly! Best of luck to you all. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

My husband had fever, chills, cough, loss of appetite and fatigue. He did not lose sense of taste/smell. 

Sue,

We "met" on Vision Sept. 2017.

Wishing your DH a speedy and full recovery.

I had my 3rd (Pfizer) shot last Wednesday. I'm supposed to resist the virus better after 5 days... 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Sue,

We "met" on Vision Sept. 2017.

Wishing your DH a speedy and full recovery.

I had my 3rd (Pfizer) shot last Wednesday. I'm supposed to resist the virus better after 5 days... 

I remember you. Thanks for the well wishes for Jim. It's hit him hard. If you count from day 1 of symptoms he's at day 10. Even though he has been active, healthy and good BMI being 78 and having had CABGx3 with lung issues is not helping him. Thank god he was vaccinated. While other have loss of smell and taste he hasn't had that. Good that you had your 3rd Pfizer shot. Stay safe and be healthy. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fla33023 said:

The cruise that I currently have booked is the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  One of the reasons I want to reschedule is because I have absolutely no intentions of not having my entire family over for the holiday dinner.

As long as the pre-cruise test is required, quarantining  is not not a bad idea if for no other reason to ensure a negative test before sailing.

4 hours ago, LoriLoriLori said:

I've also heard of cases (hopefully rare) where it hasn't returned.  A few months ago I listened to a podcast about it.  The people who have long-term loss do smell retraining and it involves smelling essential oils (eucalyptus, rose, orange, lemon, etc.) and coffee grounds.  Basically you're waiting for the brain to make a connection.

that's my mom. Smell retraining is not helping. It's been over a year.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

11 hours ago, later said:

The antigen test is as reliable for positive results as the PCR test but gives a higher percent of false negatives.

Can you please provide a peer-reviewed that shows this?  It’s actually the opposite.   The PCR test is much more sensitive. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/resources/antigen-tests-guidelines.html

mods, please delete both these posts as I know they violate the CC rules.  I just get so weary of people posting opinions like they are facts. 

Edited by cindivan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, cindivan said:

Can you please provide a peer-reviewed that shows this?  It’s actually the opposite.   The PCR test is much more sensitive. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/resources/antigen-tests-guidelines.html

mods, please delete both these posts as I know they violate the CC rules.  I just get so weary of people posting opinions like they are facts. 

They can delete them but it was from a study.  Unsure if it was peer-Reviewed.  I did not save the study so I will have to try and find it.  

6 minutes ago, later said:

They can delete them but it was from a study.  Unsure if it was peer-Reviewed.  I did not save the study so I will have to try and find it.  

Hope the NSA is not monitoring this thread.😀

17 hours ago, LoriLoriLori said:

Symptoms:  

well, sounds like no false positives for you guys  sorry to hear, but at least now you will be relatively immune (as far as we know )  I just wonder if Pfizer and Moderna, etc are hard at work updating that vaccine...sure hope so, I would love to get a booster for Delta.  We aren't leaving the mountain until Thursday before cruise for testing.  Thinking we will wear mask/face shield/and glove up.  Guess you can't be too careful !

• Like 1