Will the current lockdowns impact the restart of cruising here?

59 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Good hearing aids are worth paying for. I am yet to meet a person who is still wearing their free hearing aids, all I have met so far tell me they are at home in a drawer somewhere.

BTW I'm glad to find that I'm not the only one who gets the elastic of a mask caught in their hearing aids.

I am fortunate that my hearing aids are covered by Work Safe, my hearing loss is from exposure to industrial noise at work as well as small arms fire while training in Sea Cadets. I'm on my second set free of charge. Lynn had to pay for hers though and they were $7,000.00 (they are the same model as the ones I have now). We bought these extender things that the ear loops hook on to and keeps the loops off our ears. We've been using them for the last year and a half. We have been off the mask mandate and shifted to a "recommendation" for indoor spaces for about 6 weeks. We use masks when shopping and we still use the protocols for masks in restaurants that were in place before. Many people still wear masks even though optional.

NSW 919 cases announced today. 2 deaths including the 30 year old announced yesterday.

Vic 45 cases, 36 linked, only 17 have been in quarantine/isolation for whole infectious period

QLD 0 cases

Other states and territories not announced at this time.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I saw the start of the NSW press conference this morning and the premier almost glossed over the case number and the deaths and concentrated on the number of vaccinations each day. 

Edited by possum52

We are going back to the mask mandate for all indoor activities starting tomorrow. We will also have to show proof of vaccination to do just about anything...Restaurants, movies, shopping, pretty much everything. That goes into effect on September 13th.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

We are going back to the mask mandate for all indoor activities starting tomorrow. We will also have to show proof of vaccination to do just about anything...Restaurants, movies, shopping, pretty much everything. That goes into effect on September 13th.

My guess is that Australia will go down this path once we reach 80%, around late November.🤔

36 minutes ago, possum52 said:

NSW 919 cases announced today. 2 deaths including the 30 year old announced yesterday.

Vic 45 cases, 36 linked, only 17 have been in quarantine/isolation for whole infectious period

QLD 0 cases

Other states and territories not announced at this time.

ACT has 9 cases, 8 linked, 1 being investigated, 6 in quarantine  the whole period.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The ABC fact-checked Gladys's claim that NSW had the harshest lockdown ever. She was WRONG! 🤣

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-25/gladys-berejiklian-sydney-lockdown-harshest-fact-check/100390380

I read that earlier. But really it didn't need to be fact checked. We knew her claims were incorrect.

44 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

My tip, wholestatewillgoi to lockdown till end of Sept, probably be announced tomorrow 

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I am tipping end of year.

From ABC website just now -

Deputy Premier John Barilaro is speaking, hosing down reports that the lockdown in NSW will be extended by another six weeks after comments made by a Tweed Heads MP.

"The government and the crisis committee will be considering what happens after Saturday. We haven't made any decision around the extension of these restrictions of lockdown for regional New South Wales, but as you can see in the numbers, the Central West isn't getting better, the far west, Hunter and New England, even though under control, still has cases, the Central Coast, Illawarra Shoalhaven, Wollongong ... so in one way you've got to manage all of that and the reality is, it's about protecting lives and making sure we don't lose control in regional and rural New South Wales.

"We'll take advice from Dr Chant and her team on the crisis committee will make a decision and will do it sooner rather than later."

All one can say 919   is a very big number... and some person from marketing is talking about easing restriction... once some magic number is met..

And we are no longer to live in caves... what planet are they from, ( where the earth is flat )

wonder what..... load of stuff   we will hear next....

Everybody  stay safe..... there is a madman on the loose

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

It will be interesting to see what happens. I saw the start of the NSW press conference this morning and the premier almost glossed over the case number and the deaths and concentrated on the number of vaccinations each day. 

That 's 'spin' - down-play the negatives and emphasise the positive. There is only one positive.

29 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I think Anna has had hers. Didn't she have it before going to Tokyo?

Yes. Anna had her jab. She had Pfizer. Her 'reason' for this is that she had to wait until the required time after she had a flu shot, then have both COVID jabs before she was due to go to Tokyo. I ask, why didn't she have the AZ, then have the flu shot between the two jabs (as most of us have done) and still be fully vaccinated before going to Tokyo?

Our CHO (Dr Jeanette Young) also delayed her vaccination somewhat, but she is now fully vaccinated with AZ.

Is this a sign of things to come? I don't want to cruise with unvaccinated passengers and crew.

"The Travel Corporation (TTC), owner of Contiki, Trafalgar, Insight Vacations, Inspiring Journeys and AAT Kings Guided Holidays, will require all travellers to be fully vaccinated by December 1, along with Australia and New Zealand based staff that deal with customers." Source

3 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Is this a sign of things to come? I don't want to cruise with unvaccinated passengers and crew.

"The Travel Corporation (TTC), owner of Contiki, Trafalgar, Insight Vacations, Inspiring Journeys and AAT Kings Guided Holidays, will require all travellers to be fully vaccinated by December 1, along with Australia and New Zealand based staff that deal with customers." Source

I think most of the cruise lines currently operating overseas require all passengers to be fully vaccinated, although there might still be some exceptions out of Florida. I think crew are all vaccinated too.

I will happily cruise again and as soon as possible but only if all passengers and crew are fully vaccinated.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think most of the cruise lines currently operating overseas require all passengers to be fully vaccinated, although there might still be some exceptions out of Florida. I think crew are all vaccinated too.

I will happily cruise again and as soon as possible but only if all passengers and crew are fully vaccinated.

Even then, following a few Viking pages, people have been taken off cruises as they were considered a close contact (on the same bus as a positive person) in Iceland or one case, a couple were removed from a ship because her mother tested positive and they were on the same flight to Malta, at no time did the couple test positive (multiple tests over a 2 week period).

all fully vaccinated, one positive test, and multitude of people removed, at significant cost, they had to pay for 2 weeks hotel quarantine, no refund on cruise cost, flight change fees etc

Im not sure I’m ready for that, there needs to be very clear processes about how they manage positive cases in fully vaccinated passengers.

Not sure how we will ever live with this…

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

Even then, following a few Viking pages, people have been taken off cruises as they were considered a close contact (on the same bus as a positive person) in Iceland or one case, a couple were removed from a ship because her mother tested positive and they were on the same flight to Malta, at no time did the couple test positive (multiple tests over a 2 week period).

all fully vaccinated, one positive test, and multitude of people removed, at significant cost, they had to pay for 2 weeks hotel quarantine, no refund on cruise cost, flight change fees etc

Im not sure I’m ready for that, there needs to be very clear processes about how they manage positive cases in fully vaccinated passengers.

Not sure how we will ever live with this…

Yes, there needs to be assurances by cruise lines and/or travel insurance companies so that people are covered for those sorts of cases. 

That's not a good response from Viking. People will think twice about booking with them if they don't provide support for their passengers in cases like that, especially the couple who tested negative. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The truth is that NCLH cruises (Norwegian, Regent, Oceania) is the only large cruiseline to require 100% vaccinated. The others allow for children (not eligible)  and a small percentage of adults with a medical reason to be unvaccinated.  Some lines "advertise" fully vaccinated -- but IMHO, if allow even just 1 passenger to sail w/out a vaccine-- well, my math says it's not 100%. 

• Like 2

Looking forward to catching up with local fully vaccinated friends in mid September.  Per Gladys today -  up to 5 fully vaccinated adults, who  do not live in the LGAs of concern,can meet up outdoors within their LGA or within 5km of their home from the 13 Sept onwards.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Local Cases today -

Vic 80

NSW 1029, 3 deaths

QLD  0

Other states and territories and NZ haven't released their numbers.

Great news for the ACT, 14 new cases, all linked, 13 in isolation for the entire period, 1 low risk case in the community  for a very short time.

• Like 4