No internet or smartphone.

hollyjess

How are passengers coping with booking and checking in etc  without internet and smart phones. It's impossible to get through to P.O. Direct as they have reduced telephone lines. Be interested to know how passengers are getting all the necessary paperwork etc .

1 hour ago, Lesanne said:

Most are downloading the NHS App and printing out the necessary paperwork. For covid and also proof of insurance

Difficult to download the app without a smartphone, as per the OP's question.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, besberry said:

Difficult to download the app without a smartphone, as per the OP's question.

Actually the op said how are people coping without internet or smartphones, the op obviously as one to be able to post on here

Edited by Bazrat

I suspect that the answer to the OPs question is probably "with difficulty". There seems to be an assumption of late that everyone has a smartphone, a home computer and a printer. There is often no alternative provision for anyone who has not got access to these devices.

If you book via a travel agent they will usually print out anything that they can and give it to you with your pre printed documentation. Mine certainly does so without being asked. Also, many public libraries and community centres have computers and printers available for public use which you can use to do it for yourself if you need to. You can get a printed copy of your vaccination certificate from the NHS by ringing 119. You need to complete a passenger location form online before returning to the UK which could prove problematic, but your ship or hotel will hopefully allow you use of a computer to do it and print it out for you. But all in all, life is not easy nowadays for the technologically dissadvantaged.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

Actually the op said how are people coping without internet or smartphones, the op obviously as one to be able to post on here

not necessarily could have a desktop or laptop which means they could chat on here but not be able to download any Apps.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hollyjess said:

How are passengers coping with booking and checking in etc  without internet and smart phones. It's impossible to get through to P.O. Direct as they have reduced telephone lines. Be interested to know how passengers are getting all the necessary paperwork etc .

I rang 119 and gave both our details and within 5 days we received official documentation of our 2 covid vaccines.

Graham.

41 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

not necessarily could have a desktop or laptop which means they could chat on here but not be able to download any Apps.

I have a iPad which you can download the app cannot say for android but I would guess you can, but if all else fails just ring 119 and they will supply details that’s if you have access to a telephone, plus they must have internet otherwise how did they post the question 

Edited by Bazrat
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

I have a iPad which you can download the app cannot say for android but I would guess you can, but if all else fails just ring 119 and they will supply details that’s if you have access to a telephone, plus they must have internet otherwise how did they post the question 

I do think that we have passed the point where people can ignore smart phones,  just like we no longer can live without credit or debit cards. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I rang 119 and gave both our details and within 5 days we received official documentation of our 2 covid vaccines.

Graham.

We have done the same.Still have the NHS app with confirmation but just in case the phone battery goes flat and others have said that the crew are pleased when you produce confirmation of vaccine on paper rather than having to wait etc

• Like 1

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I do think that we have passed the point where people can ignore smart phones,  just like we no longer can live without credit or debit cards. 

To some extent I agree, but credit and debit cards are effectively free or have free options (ss long as you manage your spending). Smartphones are not, and unless you have a library nearby if you don't have the internet at home you're pretty stuck.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HikingPete said:

To some extent I agree, but credit and debit cards are effectively free or have free options (ss long as you manage your spending). Smartphones are not, and unless you have a library nearby if you don't have the internet at home you're pretty stuck.

Possibly, but anyone who cannot afford the internet is unlikely to have enough spare cash to afford a cruise.

I have to agree with John. Without being ageist,  the vast majority of people under 70 are internet savvy,  and  have some form of internet device. All institutions are aware that their future clientele will be "online" and therefore have to plan accordingly.  Yes, during the transition period,  there will be issues with the diminishing number of people who cannot/willnot use the internet,  but unfortunately that is progress. 

Which is not to say that I am unsympathetic- my mother (I may have mentioned a few times that she is 95!) has no internet access, and wouid find the technology impossible to master,  and it does cause her some problems. But, trying to set up a manual system to run alongside an internet based system, is a costly, lengthy process,  that benefits a dwindling number of people.   

• Like 1

With greater reliance on technology what happens when it goes down? (A couple of years ago the TSB bank systems went down and it caused absolute chaos). As the OP says it is difficult to get through by telephone.

Technology is fine when it works. I tend to still take paper copies of documents to cruises / airports in case systems go down.

The push to use apps, do everything on line and use QR codes means reliance on smart phones has got to the stage that it is impossible to do many things without them which is a little unfair on the older generation IMO. Fine for cruises as if you can afford a cruise you will probably have access to broadband, not so good for other aspects of life if you don’t have that access.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

little unfair on the older generation IMO.

I agree, but spending money and resource on soon to be redundant systems is uneconomic. 

Going back in time, it is like continuing to invest in canals, when railways were coming into dominance.

A couple of days ago I received a text saying as part of my annual diabetes monitoring my kidney function test would be done at home using a home testing kit and a smartphone app which uses AI to determine the result, apparently it turn yours camera phone into a diagnosing imager. The pack is in the post. One small problem, my mobile is not a smartphone! When it arrives I will contact the surgery to check if this is genuine or a scam 😵

As an  over 80 year old,  I have a laptop and old fashioned mobile phone, and would not be without either of them, but draw the line at internet banking, and spend enough time on the computer without joining Facebook or anything similar.  It is not a matter of not affording things,  just that I and some of my friends feel that a mobile for emergencies plus the ability to communicate with friends, order online, and enjoy learning stuff from websites is enough for us.   However, obviously our numbers are declining!  and  businesses no longer feel the need to cater for us regarding proof of vaccination and so on.      Up to now I do not have FOMO, but I guess the time will soon come.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Perhaps you do but there are many that havent got ipads, tablets or smartphones and use either a desktop or laptop which is no use for Apps so these people should not be excluded.

• Like 1

I normally use my laptop to connect with the internet as I find it easier to type than on than a tablet or phone. I do have a smart phone but it is pay as you go and I do not have any data usage on it. I don't need it, so why should I pay for something that I don't need? Like many of you, I too am not afraid of missing out!