Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

1 hour ago, memoak said:

You forget where you were sitting  ?  That is a new one   If you were sitting with others why not text them for directions. As far as the medallion all I ever use it for is to open my door,  but drinks at the bar (and usually only have to give my cabin number and name) and check my folio so I have not had many issues over my last 5 cruises

Are you familiar with the Royal's buffet setup?

34 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You need to remember that @jsn55has an agenda !

Really? Guess I don’t know enough of who does or does not have an ‘agenda’. Thought it was just a comment.

I just thought this was a safe place to post questions and get info. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

You forget where you were sitting  ?  That is a new one   If you were sitting with others why not text them for directions. As far as the medallion all I ever use it for is to open my door,  but drinks at the bar (and usually only have to give my cabin number and name) and check my folio so I have not had many issues over my last 5 cruises

Lol - that happens to us in the buffet all the time.  Go down one lane, take a wrong turn, go down another lane, and suddenly, no idea which direction we’re heading or which way we’ve already gone.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Been receiving emails this week saying our dining MDR  reservations are being changed to a different time, same place however only by 10 mins most nights?. Not sure what the point of this is . Also says and my  tablemates instead of tablemate ? as  I have reserved for just the 2 of us on the app every night for a table for 2. ?

1 hour ago, remydiva said:

Really? Guess I don’t know enough of who does or does not have an ‘agenda’. Thought it was just a comment.

It certainly is a safe place. 

But some individuals have a bad experience - happens to us all - and then makes sure that everyone hears about it, ad nauseum. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eric4395 said:

Been receiving emails this week saying our dining MDR  reservations are being changed to a different time, same place however only by 10 mins most nights?. Not sure what the point of this is . Also says and my  tablemates instead of tablemate ? as  I have reserved for just the 2 of us on the app every night for a table for 2. ?

Sounds like a programmatic response, if it changed by 10 mins.  If it is now 10 mins later, I’d just show up at the original time.  Who knows if it is correct?  

Screenshot your 1st night reservation on the App.

My DMW says guests or travel companions on the App.  There are 2 of us. They’re covering all bases.  🙄

• Like 1

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

Sounds like a programmatic response, if it changed by 10 mins.  If it is now 10 mins later, I’d just show up at the original time.  Who knows if it is correct?  

My DMW says guests or travel companions on the App.  There are 2 of us. They’re covering all bases.  🙄

This is on the Sky Princess from Southampton on sat so quite late to let you know, don't know if it's anything to do with the refurb and the other restaurant they are adding but you wouldn't think 10 mins would make much difference?

1 minute ago, eric4395 said:

This is on the Sky Princess from Southampton on sat so quite late to let you know, don't know if it's anything to do with the refurb and the other restaurant they are adding but you wouldn't think 10 mins would make much difference?

No, that’s strange.  

5 hours ago, remydiva said:

97% of the time this is a place to ask questions, a very good place.  But like everything else on the internet, there are people who can't wait to be borderline insulting.  They seem to derive satisfaction from dissing others' posts, knowing that nobody knows who they are.  Just part of the faceless nature of a public forum.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

I just had a similar email this morning for one of my DMW bookings on Enchanted Princess...

"In order to serve you and your party at the highest levels of excellence, after careful review we determined that we need to make an adjustment to your dining location for the date below. A new dining reservation has already been arranged for you with your tablemates and is confirmed for you below at the closest available time. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding."

When I checked the app, the booking is now showing a shared table instead of the private table I booked. When I try to make another booking (for a different time/venue, it just says there's nothing available, so I guess I'll just have to go and join the walk-up queue, or go to the buffet instead. Sounds like someone has screwed up somewhere, I really hope this doesn't happen with all the other DMW bookings that I've made for the rest of the cruise!

Back in post #1768 I started recounting the notices we received a few days before our April 2nd cruise on the Coral Princess regarding our 6 pm DMW reservation for 6 passengers on a 28 day cruise.  Beginning March 27 I started receiving an email for each day’s booking changing the reservation to 5:40 pm.  Not too big a problem.

image.png.e4caabe81b6308eeaeae189e3531e976.png

Over the next few days I received 28 identical notices.

We showed up the first evening at 5:40 as instructed and were very please with and the assigned table and the experienced and attentive wait staff.  They encouraged us to reserve it for the entire cruise.  I replied I already planned to do so.  The Head Waiter (in charge of that MDR, not the whatever the maitre’d is now called) replied great, be here each night at 5:20!  I explained twice that our reservations made more than a year ago had been changed by Princess to 5:40 last week.  He went on about what a great table it is and staff and if it was still available when we arrived at 5:40 it was ours otherwise he would find us another table - want to bet it would never have been available?! Finally he said the 'rule' is to hold them unfortunately for only 10 minutes so be there by 5:30 and the table is ours.  It was an excellent table and staff but the timing was not what we were led to believe was possible. 

Even though I’ve had my doubts and issues with MDR reservations since we resumed cruising last year this is getting worse not better especially when traveling with a group.  Our family of 8 is on the Caribbean Princess this summer and who knows when we will eat.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, RedEarth said:

I just had a similar email this morning for one of my DMW bookings on Enchanted Princess...

"In order to serve you and your party at the highest levels of excellence, after careful review we determined that we need to make an adjustment to your dining location for the date below. A new dining reservation has already been arranged for you with your tablemates and is confirmed for you below at the closest available time. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding."

When I checked the app, the booking is now showing a shared table instead of the private table I booked. When I try to make another booking (for a different time/venue, it just says there's nothing available, so I guess I'll just have to go and join the walk-up queue, or go to the buffet instead. Sounds like someone has screwed up somewhere, I really hope this doesn't happen with all the other DMW bookings that I've made for the rest of the cruise!

You had a table for 2? What MDR? What time?

10 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

You had a table for 2? What MDR? What time?

I noticed that a couple who sat with us in a group first nite sat at same table for two every nite after .

Concerto dining room Regal Princess

They likely had table at 530-545 as were already seated when we showed up at 6 pm to be paraded around the dining room to end up seated near kitchen most nites.

wonder if tipping in cash helps great tables become more readily available?

20 minutes ago, cruise_critical said:

Just booked the Royal Princess cruise in Dec in a reserve collection mini suite. They mention that the reserved dining will have expanded menu options. Any idea what they are or how different it is compared to MDR?

There is 1 additional entree each night. That is the only menu differences other than no wait to be seated and really good service 

• Like 1

Something strange happened yesterday / has anyone else experienced this?

I've been trying to get a private table at 6pm MDR Midship and only had the option of 5pm shared Deck 6 rear or 8:40pm. Yesterday I looked, yet again expecting disappointment, and I'm 6 pm MDR Deck 5! Exactly what I want for my next 3 cruises & had on my April 2023 cruise.  How?? Do they track those of us who preorder?? Did filling out allergies trip something? I know / suspect I'll get an assigned table (all post covid tables have been assigned). 

Edited by Ombud

2 hours ago, remydiva said:

I noticed that a couple who sat with us in a group first nite sat at same table for two every nite after .

They likely had table at 530-545 as were already seated when we showed up at 6 pm to be paraded around the dining room to end up seated near kitchen most nites.

The way I’ve seen it…those that eat early, get an assigned table for 2. So if 530 is when it opens, you show up at 540 or 6pm, a lot of the private tables are taken.  Our last cruise we dined at 5pm and at 630 there was another couple booked at that table, so we had to be out of there. I loved the table, so it wasn’t a problem. We don’t usually do dessert or coffee.

I feel the DR managers are trying to work it more like the old TD. They want you seated either….

early or late.  Why?  Because it works.

JMHO

2 hours ago, remydiva said:

I hate that people feel the need to tip to get a nice table.  We don’t do that.  We just let them know, nicely, what we would like and have been very pleased with our table for 2 on the cruises the last few months. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, memoak said:

There is 1 additional entree each night. That is the only menu differences other than no wait to be seated and really good service 

Very good service.  Just like Princess of yore.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, remydiva said:

I have never needed to tip a DR Mgr or the MD in the past at embarkation mtg.  It doesn't seem appropriate.  Little story...  last fall on our final voyage of 4, I was looking to get us setup with a table in DR for dinner.  We moved twice and was still very cold where we were.  I learned about how the AC works on that ship in the process.  We ultimately ended up at a terrific table and and I felt the Mgr had gone above and beyond, but he didn't want a dollar from me.  I was sure to mention him in the post-cruise survey.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, memoak said:

Thank you. A consistent dinner experience is really important for my wife and I so it sounds like I have made the right choice! I got the Premier package as well, so now I need to worry about which night I will do the Crown Grill and Sabatini's. Don't want to miss out on a good MDR menu night. Does the MDR menu rotate every 5 or 7 days for a 13 night cruise?

Edited by cruise_critical

3 hours ago, cruise_critical said:

I got the Premier package as well, so now I need to worry about which night I will do the Crown Grill and Sabatini's

Not sure why you say that. You will still need to make reservations,  and you may not get the time or day of your choice.