Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

Sorry if this was asked before but I couldn't locate an answer.

I reserved the International first seating every night (I miss TD) as private. When I looked a few days later once I was told how to reserve some specialty dining we had no reservations? All but one day was no longer available for the International and needed to go to the Savoy & Vocals I only got International one night.

Question, when we board can I go to a reservation desk and see about changing if early is available for International? Do they still have a dining reservation desk?

Thanks

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

I reserved the International first seating every night (I miss TD) as private. When I looked a few days later once I was told how to reserve some specialty dining we had no reservations? All but one day was no longer available for the International and needed to go to the Savoy & Vocals I only got International one night.

Question, when we board can I go to a reservation desk and see about changing if early is available for International? Do they still have a dining reservation desk?

Thanks

You can ask DR mgmt for any sort of dining arrangement you prefer.  Just no guarantee they can accommodate.  DR mgmt will be at the entrance to all DR's.  No way to know for certain which DR the DRO (formerly MD) will be at at any one time.  Try asking at lunch on embarkation day.

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

You can ask DR mgmt for any sort of dining arrangement you prefer.  Just no guarantee they can accommodate.  DR mgmt will be at the entrance to all DR's.  No way to know for certain which DR the DRO (formerly MD) will be at at any one time.  Try asking at lunch on embarkation day.

In all our cruises have never gone to lunch on the first day. 

Thanks I will check it out.

If I haven't told you before I really appreciate all your post to answer for many people including myself.

Have a great day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

Thanks

There isn’t a specific dining reservation desk, but the DR does have desks on both sides of the door to the MDR’s.

If you can’t catch the DRO/Maitre’d on lunch day, ask for what you want at the first dinner.

All the last cruises we’ve been on, he was not at the lunch MDR, but was at the Dinner.  Extremely busy, so we told our waiter and head waiter. They conveyed for us. We were able to get TD on ALL our restart cruises. 8 cruises.  

I would not worry about 1 night.  If you get the same time, same table every night, you’ll already be in the computer for it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Just off Coral visited the DR to speak and ask for table I wanted to be told by the Maitre D that he no longer was able to organise or assist I had to go to the Pursers desk and use their special phone to the DINE LINE  and after all that they were unable to let me book a shared table every night  IO just had to take pot luck every night and wait

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

Just off Coral visited the DR to speak and ask for table I wanted to be told by the Maitre D that he no longer was able to organise or assist I had to go to the Pursers desk and use their special phone to the DINE LINE  and after all that they were unable to let me book a shared table every night  IO just had to take pot luck every night and wait

UGH!

9 hours ago, windsor26 said:

What?  Were you trying to get the same table every night with your party and he wouldn’t do that? 
First I’ve heard that. Wonder if one

of the other MDR’s would have been more helpful?

I thought that is the job Of the DRO/MD

to organize and assist? No?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

What?  Were you trying to get the same table every night with your party and he wouldn’t do that? 
First I’ve heard that. Wonder if one

of the other MDR’s would have been more helpful?

I thought that is the job Of the DRO/MD

to organize and assist? No?

He told me that now it is nothing to do with him you have to organise it with the dine phone line people   I did speak to people who had organised it (as I had before it disappeared) and they had the same table with the same strangers every night! And on another point on the Sky Princess last month a sharing table for strangers (THEY SAID)  did not exist but again  this could be an easy way to not have to organise it  just tables for 2 or 4 if you were a family

4 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

He told me that now it is nothing to do with him you have to organise it with the dine phone line people   I did speak to people who had organised it (as I had before it disappeared) and they had the same table with the same strangers every night! And on another point on the Sky Princess last month a sharing table for strangers (THEY SAID)  did not exist but again  this could be an easy way to not have to organise it  just tables for 2 or 4 if you were a family

Thanks for clarifying. It would be so simple to just have 1 MDR as a TD.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Thousands of people (I would bet) want TD back, but Princess does not care what traditional cruisers want.  

Perhaps we should all e mail Princess and ask  as I agree from many and I mean many of those I spoke with on both cruises they would love to have the choice of Trad dining

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Thousands of people (I would bet) want TD back, but Princess does not care what traditional cruisers want.  

It seems so, but I am not so sure they set out to erase it and deliberately mislead us.  I am in the camp that the requirements were misstated or misunderstood and the OCEAN IT team had no way to make it happen in the System so we got a half-baked result.  Now Princess won't own up and declare a screw up and what they are doing to fix it and neither come out and say they are killing TD.  

So, NOW we are being misled as the System cannot do it alone, and Princess is not saying anything and they still promise TD experience on website.  So, it gives a bad look on them.  But I don't think they started out this way back in 2020.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

It seems so, but I am not so sure they set out to erase it and deliberately mislead us.  I am in the camp that the requirements were misstated or misunderstood and the OCEAN IT team had no way to make it happen in the System so we got a half-baked result.  Now Princess won't own up and declare a screw up and what they are doing to fix it and neither come out and say they are killing TD.  

So, NOW we are being misled as the System cannot do it alone, and Princess is not saying anything and they still promise TD experience on website.  So, it gives a bad look on them.  But I don't think they started out this way back in 2020.

The TD is the most efficient in terms of the resources on the ships. However, it is the most restrictive for the passengers. Any DMW or Anytime dining will be less efficient at the front end as people coming in are spread over a long time. We do not want to be stuck with one particular time so the DMW is much better for us when we decide to eat in the dining room.

You want traditional dining? Your best bet is Cunard. You'll have to follow their dresscode or eat in the buffet. You're also expected to follow the dresscode throughout the ship, except the buffet (no shorts at night) or in the Wintergarden. There is NO suggested dress. You either dress according to the codes or cruise elsewhere. Perhaps there's better luck on HAL, but I've not sailed with hem. Their dresscode is more akin to Princess, but I don't know if they have TD or not. We used to like TD, but are now fine with anytime dining. We find that dining in Clubclass comes close to TD, but the cost may be too much for some.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NownZen said:

The TD is the most efficient in terms of the resources on the ships. However, it is the most restrictive for the passengers. Any DMW or Anytime dining will be less efficient at the front end as people coming in are spread over a long time. We do not want to be stuck with one particular time so the DMW is much better for us when we decide to eat in the dining room.

Yes, true for some. But, there are still a lot of guests who enjoy TD.

So, why not have 1 MDR TD? The others can certainly be DMW.  Why do ALL

the MDR’s have to be anytime?

I don’t think any changes will happen until 2023, if they do.

If you look at the DMW App…I think

it was designed to have TD (same DR..same time..every day)  

Someone didn’t get the memo. 😳

The next category: Individual choices each day, different DR’s just like Anytime dining.  Or, just show up anytime.

Then SD.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rbtan said:

You want traditional dining?

Yes, I do.  And it seems you are right that changing lines is the only way to do it.  What's so frustrating is that Princess said we could dine at the same time with the same people just like in days of old, but they lied.  I think they are just waiting for us to go away so they can get on with their new business plan (which throws tradition overboard.)  HAL is the next-best thing, so that's where we will be heading after we use up our covid FCC on Princess.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Yes, I do.  And it seems you are right that changing lines is the only way to do it.  What's so frustrating is that Princess said we could dine at the same time with the same people just like in days of old, but they lied.  I think they are just waiting for us to go away so they can get on with their new business plan (which throws tradition overboard.)  HAL is the next-best thing, so that's where we will be heading after we use up our covid FCC on Princess.

We had no problem dining the same time with the same people on our last cruise.

4 minutes ago, NownZen said:

We had no problem dining the same time with the same people on our last cruise.

That's the other aspect that's frustrating about DMW. You don't know what you're going to get until you get on the ship. Even dining rooms on the same ship reported to be implementing it differently.  Grrrrrrr.

40 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes, true for some. But, there are still a lot of guests who enjoy TD.

So, why not have 1 MDR TD? The others can certainly be DMW.  Why do ALL

the MDR’s have to be anytime?

I don’t think any changes will happen until 2023, if they do.

If you look at the DMW App…I think

it was designed to have TD (same DR..same time..every day)  

Someone didn’t get the memo. 😳

The next category: Individual choices each day, different DR’s just like Anytime dining.  Or, just show up anytime.

Then SD.

The app allows me to choose the same table at the same time each night. Sounds pretty much like TD to me. There is no need to have a whole dining room for TD (unless you want to enforce a dress code) as the tables in all dining rooms can be used for TD according to how many people want to do this.

15 minutes ago, NownZen said:

The app allows me to choose the same table at the same time each night. Sounds pretty much like TD to me. There is no need to have a whole dining room for TD (unless you want to enforce a dress code) as the tables in all dining rooms can be used for TD according to how many people want to do this.

You’re right, the first choice, I believe was designed to be TD.  

We never were in a forced dress code in TD and still are not. Just not shorts.  It was always the Aft MDR for TD. 

The difference I see is, with 2 set times it was so much more relaxing. Now, people are rushing around seating people every 20 mins.  DRO and waiters are very stressed. Some guests want to meet new people and then dine with them the rest of the cruise.  That’s much harder to do now.

I don’t mind DMW, as we do CC quite a bit, but not always.

Just observations.

27 minutes ago, NownZen said:

The app allows you to choose the same time and dining room every evening, you are not guaranteed to get the same table and waitstaff though. Some DRO's are making it happen if you request same waitstaff and table. Others are reported to be telling people that it can't be done(see post 1383 above). Most of those who want TD really like having the same waitstaff every evening, who get to know your preferences, etc.

11 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

You’re right, the first choice, I believe was designed to be TD.  

We never were in a forced dress code in TD and still are not. Just not shorts.  It was always the Aft MDR for TD. 

The difference I see is, with 2 set times it was so much more relaxing. Now, people are rushing around seating people every 20 mins.  DRO and waiters are very stressed. Some guests want to meet new people and then dine with them the rest of the cruise.  That’s much harder to do now.

I don’t mind DMW, as we do CC quite a bit, but not always.

Just observations.

On Cunard there is a formal dresscode. Doesn't really matter if you want it or not. On that line it is their "schtick". It makes that line very popular with those who do like dressing up. I'm simply saying that Princess will likely not offer TD anymore.  I think they are going for a different clientele with the new really large ships soon to come out. This then forces the pax to either go with it or leave & go somewhere else.. I'm just saying on Cunard those pax who choose to go there(and pay a lot more by the way) from Princess will be expected to follow their dresscode. The pax on that line are really dedicated & will not tolerate pax who think they can force it to change. 

16 hours ago, windsor26 said:
17 hours ago, Kay S said:

Perhaps we should all e mail Princess and ask  as I agree from many and I mean many of those I spoke with on both cruises they would love to have the choice of Trad dining

I've had it on all cruises since restarted if you just mean same table (last one was #87 on Enchanted / forget # on Discovery (42-43??), Royal, Majestic, Ruby) / same staff / arriving anytime between 6:30-7:30 / vegetarian menu waiting for me / friends next table over even had challah waiting on 'their' table. I'd ask for it but I'm a solo diner. It's too big. Arranged by HW in 5th deck MDR

ATD diner now preferring this. 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

I've had it on all cruises since restarted if you just mean same table (last one was #87 on Enchanted / forget # on Discovery (42-43??), Royal, Majestic, Ruby) / same staff / arriving anytime between 6:30-7:30 / vegetarian menu waiting for me / 

I'm glad it's working for you, but my TD is a table assigned the first night at late seating with the same waiters every night and new friends waiting there at my table to greet me.  We then get to know each other and have fun dining together every night thereafter.  This is what happened on my HAL cruise this year, and the plan is to repeat it for my cruising life (or until Corp decides to mess up HAL, too.)  My last Princess cruise since the start up was nothing like this, and the staff was unable to provide anything the website promised. 

• Like 1