Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

LOL - No they did not phase out AT dining.  If anything they are doing their darndest to kill off TD.  You can make a same-day (or any-day) booking in DMW for a table, or you can just show up at the door (I am not sure which DR, though).  I suppose you can show up at any of the DR's since no one in particular is reserved for TD purposes.  What I don't see is how the typical guest is any idea which of the three DR's has the shortest wait at the time they wish to show up.  At least with the mid-ship ones, if the line looks long, you can send partner up/down one level to check on the situation and then send a WHATSAPP to decide where to go.  

I certainly agree they are or have phased out TD--but I really think they are trying to go to the reservation mode rather than the old AD.  For us, just showing up at a dining room worked fine, but we like to eat later.  And, although I didn't try, the reservation system seems seriously messed up.

• Like 1

Has anyone else had their dining reservations disappear from the MC app, but still been able to see them from the web version?  We sail Aug 27 on Royal, and I had booked 6 of our nights via the app several weeks ago (Symphony DR).  Went back in last week on the app and couldn't see them, but they were showing up on the web version of MC.  I booked the 7th night's dinner via web version, in Concerto since Symphony wasn't showing up as an option. It DID show up  in the mobile version of the app.  I've since seen some comments about the Symphony being closed on less-than-full sailings, so have a feeling that is why they dropped from the mobile version of the app? Princess tech support for the app was no help. Today I edited the original 6 nights' reservations via web version. Symphony was not an option so picked other DR's. Have to wonder what would have happened if I hadn't checked it before boarding.

Edited by Sailin Gal

I will be taking my first ever cruise on Sky Princess this November with several friends. I'd like to make a reservation in one of the specialty dining restaurants for our group (8 of us total) on the night of my birthday (a lucky coincidence that the cruise happened to fall the week of my big 4-0). After dealing with some glitches in the app that were messing up a couple of my friends' bookings, I finally got to the point I could make a reservation.

My question is this: is there any way to have each of my travel companions pay the cover charge separately, or do I have to pay the lump sum and then have my friends reimburse me? (I'm fine doing it the latter way, I just figured if there's a way to do it so we each pay on our own that would be easier.) Thanks ahead of time for any information!

9 hours ago, JJMfromMI said:

I will be taking my first ever cruise on Sky Princess this November with several friends. I'd like to make a reservation in one of the specialty dining restaurants for our group (8 of us total) on the night of my birthday (a lucky coincidence that the cruise happened to fall the week of my big 4-0). After dealing with some glitches in the app that were messing up a couple of my friends' bookings, I finally got to the point I could make a reservation.

My question is this: is there any way to have each of my travel companions pay the cover charge separately, or do I have to pay the lump sum and then have my friends reimburse me? (I'm fine doing it the latter way, I just figured if there's a way to do it so we each pay on our own that would be easier.) Thanks ahead of time for any information!

You will have to pay.  The only way they pay is if they make a res - but that would defeat the purpose as you would have 8 individual bookings.  Be careful... your friends might think you are treating them!!  LOL..  🎈🎂🥂🎉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My observations regarding DMW on 2 upcoming cruises (first since Nov 2019)

Despite being Elite and 1 of the upcoming cruises being paid in full, the app always told me that it was too soon and come back later.

Saw notes in here about a new version, so tried to update the app which always failed during the installation process. Had to delete the app completely and then install the new version.

Now I could see my DMW options. Cruise #1 has access to CC, so no need to select a dining plan. I also see that I have a dining credit. Not sure where that came from. Was not part of the cruise package and despite being in a suite, as it’s only a 5 day cruise, it does not qualify for SD for the first night.

If I try to reserve a SD option, I’m only offered Sabattinis. I’m guess Sterling is not operating on my cruise. If I try to reserve a slot, the app wants to charge my credit card.

If I use the web based portal, rather than the app, I do not see a dining credit, but I also do not see the CC notification.

For the second cruise in November, I’m in a balcony suite, so opted to book the same time slot for the entire 14 days

Latest time available for a shared table was 7PM. I could go later, but only private tables were available in either dining room (Island Princess, so only 2 dinning rooms, though both seem to be bookable)

Selected entire cruise, 7PM, shared in the Provence dining room and checked my daily reservations. Only the first night was shared and every other night was private! So much for that option in the app.

Went into each daily booking and clicked edit. Switched private to shared and saved and ended up with 2 7PM reservations each day. Cancelled the 7PM private reservations.

Rechecked each day. First week was fine, all 7PM shared, but 2nd week showed 5PM shared. Clicked edit again and switched to 7PM. As above, ended up with 2 reservations, so had to cancel the 5PM shared ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, polmcs said:

My observations regarding DMW on 2 upcoming cruises (first since Nov 2019)

Despite being Elite and 1 of the upcoming cruises being paid in full, the app always told me that it was too soon and come back later.

Saw notes in here about a new version, so tried to update the app which always failed during the installation process. Had to delete the app completely and then install the new version.

Now I could see my DMW options. Cruise #1 has access to CC, so no need to select a dining plan. I also see that I have a dining credit. Not sure where that came from. Was not part of the cruise package and despite being in a suite, as it’s only a 5 day cruise, it does not qualify for SD for the first night.

If I try to reserve a SD option, I’m only offered Sabattinis. I’m guess Sterling is not operating on my cruise. If I try to reserve a slot, the app wants to charge my credit card.

If I use the web based portal, rather than the app, I do not see a dining credit, but I also do not see the CC notification.

For the second cruise in November, I’m in a balcony suite, so opted to book the same time slot for the entire 14 days

Latest time available for a shared table was 7PM. I could go later, but only private tables were available in either dining room (Island Princess, so only 2 dinning rooms, though both seem to be bookable)

Selected entire cruise, 7PM, shared in the Provence dining room and checked my daily reservations. Only the first night was shared and every other night was private! So much for that option in the app.

Went into each daily booking and clicked edit. Switched private to shared and saved and ended up with 2 7PM reservations each day. Cancelled the 7PM private reservations.

Rechecked each day. First week was fine, all 7PM shared, but 2nd week showed 5PM shared. Clicked edit again and switched to 7PM. As above, ended up with 2 reservations, so had to cancel the 5PM shared ones.

SMH at the IT incompetence with a functionality that has been in production for over a year.

16 hours ago, polmcs said:

I also see that I have a dining credit. Not sure where that came from. Was not part of the cruise package and despite being in a suite, as it’s only a 5 day cruise, it does not qualify for SD for the first night.

We were in a suite on a 5 day and got specialty dining with no charge.

• Like 1

We're in a suite for a 7 day cruise and first night SD is free for suites.   The app shows we have 2 SD credits.  I booked the first night at Sterling Steak House with those 2 SD credits.  Could I have used those to book another night or only for the first night, 

We will also have 2 SD credits from our travel agent.  Am I correct that those TA-given DA credits will not show up until we board?

51 minutes ago, candydane said:

We're in a suite for a 7 day cruise and first night SD is free for suites.   The app shows we have 2 SD credits.  I booked the first night at Sterling Steak House with those 2 SD credits.  Could I have used those to book another night or only for the first night, 

We will also have 2 SD credits from our travel agent.  Am I correct that those TA-given DA credits will not show up until we board?

1. I don't think DMW is smart enough to restrict the free SD dining for a Suite guest to night 1.  Besides, I have read reports in the past of Suite guests getting it on another night.

2. If your TA truly gave you those as a bonus from the agency, then correct - you see it on board.  However, if it was a perk in a PCL promotion when you booked, then it really isn't from the TA at all (even though PCL gives them credit in the Cruise Personalizer).  In the latter case, it should be showing in the Personalizer.  If you only have the two credits in Personalizer (On Board Services or Travel Summary), then it should be the former. 

37 minutes ago, CrownCruiserKK said:

I should have booked way in advance but alas I didn't.  Quick question:  currently my cruise (8/13 Regal) shows no reservations available for the Crown Grill. Any chance there will be availability when we board?  We are a party of two.

All you can do is ask. If you're not picky about the time, they may be able to fit you in.

22 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

1. I don't think DMW is smart enough to restrict the free SD dining for a Suite guest to night 1.  Besides, I have read reports in the past of Suite guests getting it on another night.

2. If your TA truly gave you those as a bonus from the agency, then correct - you see it on board.  However, if it was a perk in a PCL promotion when you booked, then it really isn't from the TA at all (even though PCL gives them credit in the Cruise Personalizer).  In the latter case, it should be showing in the Personalizer.  If you only have the two credits in Personalizer (On Board Services or Travel Summary), then it should be the former. 

Thanks.

How soon before the cruise do the MDR menus show?  We would like to book a night when MDR not really our choice.  

2 minutes ago, candydane said:

Thanks.

How soon before the cruise do the MDR menus show?  We would like to book a night when MDR not really our choice.  

IDK - hope someone else does.  My guess would be just in the few days prior.  I am not even sure if the menus are available for full voyage or just a day at a time.

49 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

IDK - hope someone else does.  My guess would be just in the few days prior.  I am not even sure if the menus are available for full voyage or just a day at a time.

Wish there was a way to praise Steelers 36 website wide. Hopefully Steelers36 will be able to repost. I have been reading Cruisecritic for a while now. Mostly just folks asking questions and trying to help one another fix issues. Then, I started noticing Steelers36 posts. Almost always right, informative, helpful, positive, and encouraging. Kudos to you Steelers36. Thank you so much for your input. Keep it up with the excellent and useful information! ❤️

Edited by Userclown
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Userclown said:

Wish there was a way to praise Steelers 36 website wide. Hopefully Steelers36 will be able to repost. I have been reading Cruisecritic for a while now. Mostly just folks asking questions and trying to help one another fix issues. Then, I started noticing Steelers36 posts. Almost always right, informative, helpful, positive, and encouraging. Kudos to you Steelers36. Thank you so much for your input. Keep it up with the excellent and useful information! ❤️

Your welcome (blushing a bit here).  I do try my best - especially with MC App and DMW as I am interested in Princess' progress in making these two better.  

• Like 3

We thought we wouldn't like it. Doing Club Class, there are no waits more than a minute or 2. I'm sure in the main rooms it can be longer. I guess perhaps try check the busy times & work around them Club Class works for us, though I wish the food was better considering the big up charge over a standard cabin. The attention to detail by the staff really is nice.

10 hours ago, candydane said:

Thanks.

I have only ever known the MDR menus to be posted on the actual day, although if you ask (because you have allergies) you can see them the night before. 

9 hours ago, rbtan said:

the big up charge over a standard cabin.

Don't forget that with club class, you are in the "best " minisuites,  with large balconies,  and that is responsible for much of the premium cost. 

We thoroughly enjoyed the attention and service levels in CC dining, but probably wouldn't pay for it again, even with the better cabin. The premium is too great, as you say. 

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Don't forget that with club class, you are in the "best " minisuites,  with large balconies,  and that is responsible for much of the premium cost. 

We thoroughly enjoyed the attention and service levels in CC dining, but probably wouldn't pay for it again, even with the better cabin. The premium is too great, as you say. 

I don't think the size of the balconies is the defining characteristic of the mini-suites.  It is the mid-ship location. 

On non-Royal class I've never seen a differentiation in balcony size except the final minis on Emerald deck (Grand Class) and Dolphin deck (Coral) that are our favorites because they are fully covered.  On the Royal class all cabin balconies on the port and starboard sides of the ship qualify, in my opinion, as small except those that are angled under the Sea Walk and Sea View bar -- and they qualify as not quite so small.

We enjoyed our CC dining on the Caribbean Princess which we booked at the last minute and couldn't get a covered balcony but did get CC for a reasonable price but not enough to give up our preferred location it is available.

24 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I don't think the size of the balconies is the defining characteristic of the mini-suites.  It is the mid-ship location. 

You have much more experience than I do, so I defer to your knowledge. 

When we came to book a cc minisuite on Regal, all the CC cabins appeared to be on the "hump" and consequently had slightly larger balconies.

If some cc minisuites only have standard size balconies, the price premium is even less worthwhile.  

17 hours ago, candydane said:

They don't show before the cruise. You can ask on a roll call or if there's a "live from" for the cruise before yours. Not a guarantee that it will be the same.

OR you can ask a waiter on your first MDR dinner to see all of the menus for the cruise.

On 8/3/2022 at 1:14 PM, CrownCruiserKK said:

I should have booked way in advance but alas I didn't.  Quick question:  currently my cruise (8/13 Regal) shows no reservations available for the Crown Grill. Any chance there will be availability when we board?  We are a party of two.

The three of us just walked up and asked one night and were told, sure if you can wait 15 minutes.  It was about 20 and we had a great meal. This was on the Discovery and when we called for reservations they said there none available but to check at the restaurant when we wanted to eat.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 1:42 PM, candydane said:

Thanks.

The menus are posted daily in the Medallion App and on the TV version.   If you're an experienced Princess cruiser, then you'll be able to predict what might be on the menu on a particular night.  Some things will be inevitable, like lobster on the 2nd formal night, baked alaska on the final night along with an American themed menu, and an Italian night.  Though the staff did not dress in costumes for Italian or American nights on our first cruise after 2.5 years of shutdown.

You can also google for some examples of the Princess menus, some people have taken pictures and posted the menus online.

Edited by SiliconCruiser

Using App were able to book SD and MDR for each night individually. Trivial point, I thought I could only choose the offered time, I then saw 'select time' and had to swipe screen up/down then tap preferred time.

SD forced me to charge to CC. Can we convert to OBC once onboard? One poster said this is not a good option but did not say why. Wondering if I should book a Princess Excursion, before they are all booked, to use up OBC.