Dress Code for Teens

HermmyGranger

We will be traveling on an Alaska cruise next summer for my son's high school graduation. I know what to pack for him for the gala nights, but what are the main dining room/specialty restaurant requirements for an 18 year old? I'd hate to have to buy him a whole new wardrobe, but he doesn't own any collared golf/polo shirts or button-down shirts. He owns a lot of solid colored, nice quality t-shirts, both short and long-sleeved, that he wears to work, but I'm wondering if this will be okay?

The dress code for teens at night is the same as it is for adults---elegant casual. 
He will likely grow enough to be in need of a new shirt or two by then. A knit shirt with a collar would suffice. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, RuthC said:

The dress code for teens at night is the same as it is for adults---elegant casual. 
He will likely grow enough to be in need of a new shirt or two by then. A knit shirt with a collar would suffice. 

Agreed.  When my son was around 11 or so I actually called HAL to ask the question about dress code for him.  The HAL rep said the same as adults - all passengers are people.  Based on that, in the formal night days I would rent the tuxedo package & have it waiting in our stateroom, and would bring appropriate slacks and collared polo shirts for the other nights.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

1 hour ago, HermmyGranger said:

I'd hate to have to buy him a whole new wardrobe, but he doesn't own any collared golf/polo shirts or button-down shirts

A "whole new wardrobe" certainly is not needed.  RuthC's suggestion, I fully support.  Your son will be a high school graduate.  He is now recognized as an adult.  In certain situations, he will be expected to dress as an adult.  A couple of polo shirts; one dress slacks; a pair of inexpensive black dress shoes:  he will be properly attired for an Alaskan cruise or other types of an "adult functions" in his near future.  

I'd suggest, since it is Alaska, a nice pullover or cardigan sweater might be welcomed if it is needed.  

• Like 3

Buy one collared shirt of any type.  Wear it twice.  Perhaps a pair of Dockers or some dressy jeans.

Mission accomplished.

After the first gala night he may have met some friends and may actually prefer the buffet with friends to another MDR event.  I suspect ours would have been so inclined. 

Don't sweat the small stuff.  After all, it is Alaska.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

We are just back from the Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska and the dress in specialty restaurants  (even on gala nite) was wildly varied from tuxedos to a scruffy looking man in a tshirt covered with a plaid flannel  open shirt😬!  A collared shirt and nice pants and maybe a pull over sweater will be perfect and comfortable.     My DH wore his "dress athletic shoes" and nobody noticed.

• Like 2

Let’s hope he is going places, buy him his first sports coat.  It may come in handy for job interviews and other adult activities.   Most young men I know enjoy dressing up occasionally.  He can wear his t shirt under the coat. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Loreto said:

My DH wore his "dress athletic shoes" and nobody noticed.

Personally, wearing such shoes is not proper attire.  Have I done so?  Yes.  I have my reasons why I needed to do so.

4 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

He can wear his t shirt under the coat. 

Investing in a sport coat is a good idea, but it is more of an expense than I think this family wishes to have.  Wearing a t shirt under such a coat?  I have seen it.  It's not proper attire as far as I am concerned.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Investing in a sport coat is a good idea, but it is more of an expense than I think this family wishes to have.  Wearing a t shirt under such a coat?  I have seen it.  It's not proper attire as far as I am concerned.  

Steve Jobs made that an acceptable fashion which still carries on.   Very acceptable 

• Like 3

Just now, Mary229 said:

Steve Jobs made that an acceptable fashion which still carries on.   Very acceptable 

Mr. Jobs has a "couple" more dollars than I will ever have.  His opinion of what he thinks is proper attire for a gentleman has no influence on my opinion, however.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HermmyGranger said:

We will be traveling on an Alaska cruise next summer for my son's high school graduation. I know what to pack for him for the gala nights, but what are the main dining room/specialty restaurant requirements for an 18 year old? I'd hate to have to buy him a whole new wardrobe, but he doesn't own any collared golf/polo shirts or button-down shirts. He owns a lot of solid colored, nice quality t-shirts, both short and long-sleeved, that he wears to work, but I'm wondering if this will be okay?

Firstly...  this is for next summer, so a long ways away.  By high school graduation, your son's taste in clothes may change a bit, and his wardrobe should include a few nice polo shirts, a button down, and one or two casual slacks.  Treat him to a shopping trip prior to graduation. It doesn't take a lot of money to dress nicely, it just takes a few nice pieces. Not only for your cruise, but for life in general.

• Like 4

My kids are 11 and 9 and they’ve sailed on Holland America twice (once in Alaska and once in the Caribbean).

Of all the cruise lines we’ve sailed on with them (Royal, MSC, Carnival, Disney and HAL), Holland America has been the most “formal” of all. During the day things were casual, but while T-shirts would’ve been fine at night on some of the more family friendly cruise lines we’ve sailed on, I feel like on HAL our kids would’ve stuck out like a sore thumb in that attire.

In the most part, passengers of all ages on HAL stick to a somewhat dressier atmosphere at night than what we’ve encountered on other cruise lines. For our son, we dressed him in polo and buttoned shirts on most nights. and for formal night we added a blue jacket and tie. That seemed to work well.

• Like 1

I would think the existing colored shirt collection you’ve mentioned matched with similarly colored facial coverings should be more than adequate for the MDR at this time.

No worries. It’s your vacation.

Be well.

Bob

6 hours ago, prescottbob said:

I would think the existing colored shirt collection you’ve mentioned matched with similarly colored facial coverings should be more than adequate for the MDR at this time.

No worries. It’s your vacation.

Be well.

Bob

Let’s hope by summer 2022 we don’t need matching facial coverings.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, prescottbob said:

This is what came to mind when you mentioned "similarly colored facial covering" LOL

GettyImages-505428442.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Let’s hope he is going places, buy him his first sports coat.  It may come in handy for job interviews and other adult activities.   Most young men I know enjoy dressing up occasionally.  He can wear his t shirt under the coat. 

We actually purchased him his first really nice suit is sophomore year (don't ask why, it's a ridiculous reason) and it actually still fits. I figured he'd be fine with that and his dress shoes for the gala nights, but I was wondering how dressy to get for the rest of the evenings.

• Like 2