What if you are refused boarding because you can't get PCR in time due to being on different cruise line that won't do it?

ace2542

15 hours ago, ace2542 said:

You have to have a PCR 3 days prior to boarding no exceptions apparently. And we can't do that.

You have to have the PCR WITHIN 3 days of boarding, not exactly 3 days prior. Make an appointment with the nearest Walgreens for an IDNOW PCR/NAAT test, results normally within 2 hours

17 hours ago, ace2542 said:

It looks like we might have to book onto QM2 Caribbean journey instead.

You should as the likelihood of any TA by any cruiseline for this fall sailing with passengers are slim.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, ampurp85 said:

I don't know where or why people thought they could be tested at the pier

It was listed on an e mail that went out to some of the initial sailings when they introduced the change in policy.  It basically stated that if you had difficulties in obtaining a test they would be able to test you at the pier but be prepared for a longer wait.  It was not clear on how long they would keep doing this.

18 minutes ago, shofer said:

Why not?  They are made to be used in your home.   I don't think RCI has mandated which test you use.

they are NOT accepted!...It clearly says that all tests must be done observable by an accredited "test provider". I am even unsure if those "testing vans" referred to above would be accepted.

Edited by spunks

20 minutes ago, shofer said:

Why not?  They are made to be used in your home.   I don't think RCI has mandated which test you use.

Think about it and the answer is obvious.  Home test are for people to see if they have Covid so they know what to do when home, but there is no proof of who has taken the test if someone wants to use it to prove they are negative.

36 minutes ago, mek said:

Think about it and the answer is obvious.  Home test are for people to see if they have Covid so they know what to do when home, but there is no proof of who has taken the test if someone wants to use it to prove they are negative.

At home proctored self tests are acceptable 

OP could do one on his phone the last day

of the TA and be golden. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, spunks said:

what ones are those? You have my attention.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuJHU7cmp8gIVQic4Ch0hHwwlEAAYASAAEgJCwPD_BwE

i used these last month because I didn’t want to deal with a test in Mexico to return home. 

they are listed as acceptable on Royal’s FAQ page. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

of the TA and be golden. 

do you have a link?....Everything I have read from RCCL says they do not.I hope you are correct

13 hours ago, shofer said:

You can buy the tests in CVS/Walgreens before you leave.  They are about $30 each and give results in 10-15 minutes.

I looked into this, and RCCL clearly states the PCR test must be made by a provider, pharmacy, or accredited lab.

I looked into the tele-health home test with digital results, but felt it didn't meet RCCL's requirements.  I did not want to take the chance they would not allow it.

I suggest, once RCCL responds about testing at the dock, that the OP look into moving the second cruise to a date 3-5 days later. 

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No, you are incorrect 

this test is done via a tele-health visit, and you receive a certificate saying so. 

The acceptable test document that Royal links to from their site has these listed. 

I don't see it listed anywhere on their site. 

Can you share the link that shows this? 

23 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No, you are incorrect 

this test is done via a tele-health visit, and you receive a certificate saying so. 

The acceptable test document that Royal links to from their site has these listed. 

17 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

deleted

Edited by mek

21 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

The link is to an FDA web site that lists the different types of tests.  But, RCCL has recently (in a social media post I don't have a link to) stated that at-home testing is not accepted.  It's all fuzzy right now.

I do know they are scrambling to accommodate passengers, so it's definitely worth inquiring to royalguestrelations@rccl.com and ask.

When I moved my 11/28/21 booking to another cruise to avoid having to get tested on Thanksgiving Day, they spent a lot of time trying to price match my booking price, and came up with a price only $18 more than I paid.  

I suggest the OP think about moving the reservation for the second cruise to another cruise that leaves 5 days later.  It might require a flight to another port, but leaving from FLL, Miami, Port Canaveral, or Tamps is a lot better weather in late November than Cape Liberty.

26 minutes ago, pcur said:

I suggest the OP think about moving the reservation for the second cruise to another cruise that leaves 5 days later.  It might require a flight to another port, but leaving from FLL, Miami, Port Canaveral, or Tamps is a lot better weather in late November than Cape Liberty.

Why can't the OP take the Rapid Test near the port when they get off the 1st ship?
They should have plenty of time to get off the ship, go to CVS or Walgreens, do the Rapid Test get the results and check in for the 2nd ship 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pcur said:

I looked into this, and RCCL clearly states the PCR test must be made by a provider, pharmacy, or accredited lab.

I looked into the tele-health home test with digital results, but felt it didn't meet RCCL's requirements.  I did not want to take the chance they would not allow it.

I suggest, once RCCL responds about testing at the dock, that the OP look into moving the second cruise to a date 3-5 days later. 

1 hour ago, LilBlackDress said:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

there is a link from the FAQ document for a list of acceptable tests, once at the CDC page enter the name of the test you are curious about in the search bar. Abbott Bi ax Now AG card is listed as acceptable 

41 minutes ago, pcur said:

The link is to an FDA web site that lists the different types of tests.  But, RCCL has recently (in a social media post I don't have a link to) stated that at-home testing is not accepted.  It's all fuzzy right now.

I do know they are scrambling to accommodate passengers, so it's definitely worth inquiring to royalguestrelations@rccl.com and ask.

When I moved my 11/28/21 booking to another cruise to avoid having to get tested on Thanksgiving Day, they spent a lot of time trying to price match my booking price, and came up with a price only $18 more than I paid.  

I did the same thing - didn't want to get tested on Turkey Day, so I changed to a date in late January.  Same ship, itinerary, cabin - ended up $44 more pp and I was fine with that just to be able to avoid the holiday headache.

The Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag At-Home test is a proctored test. You will present your ID and show the opening of the test kit and the taking of the sample and insertion into the test card over a Zoom video call. You will receive the results via the Abbott NAVICA App to your previously registered and confirmed account proving this.

Royal Caribbean accepts this as a valid Antigen test, and at least at the moment Royal Caribbean accepts both Antigen and NAAT tests (RT-PCR is a type of NAAT test) for all their required testing of people age 2 and older.

You can buy these tests in advance and perform them from onboard the ship as long as you can connect to the Zoom videoconference to perform the test itself.

Just a note, this specific test is NOT sold in stores. There is a different Abbott BinaxNOW test sold at Walgreen's which can provide at-home test results, but DOES NOT involve being proctored over a video call and thus is NOT usable for Royal Caribbean's requirements.

Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag At-Home Test Kit 6 Pack (emed.com)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LilBlackDress said:

Why can't the OP take the Rapid Test near the port when they get off the 1st ship?
They should have plenty of time to get off the ship, go to CVS or Walgreens, do the Rapid Test get the results and check in for the 2nd ship 

Well not all Walgreens and CVS are doing the rapid test. Where I live there are none in my city that are doing the rapid test either Walgreens or CVS.  My cruise is the end of August and I was becoming panicked about the test but I then found a couple of urgent care centers that will do the rapid test. 

16 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

Well not all Walgreens and CVS are doing the rapid test. Where I live there are none in my city that are doing the rapid test either Walgreens or CVS.  My cruise is the end of August and I was becoming panicked about the test but I then found a couple of urgent care centers that will do the rapid test. 

I actually did a search for a CVS that does the Rapid Testing near the port, if Anthem is still at Cape Liberty. There is a CVS across the street but they do not do it. There were 3 or 4 CVS's within 7 miles of the port do the Rapid Testing. I did not search Walgreens 

On 8/11/2021 at 7:12 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

of the TA and be golden. 

I don't think the Cunard wifi would be up to the task doing that though? Unlike Royal, Cunard does not have very good internet and ergo wifi so far as I am aware. The computers are very slow.

• Like 1