Will I like QM2?

Csardas

Hello all!

We've cruised on QV and QE and loved them both but we're looking at July '22 and a Mediterranean cruise on QM2. (I teach and am effectively limited to July and, as we live in Scotland, I don't like to take a chance on the weather so  QV and QE alternatives are out.)

I've read plenty of posts which cite their favourite ship but it would be good to get feedback from people like me who started on QV/QE and then tried QM2. The size doesn't bother me. All and any comments welcome, even negative!

We've sailed mainly on the QM2 and just love it.  The atmosphere is unique, perhaps because it's an ocean liner rather than simply a cruise ship.  I think that the people who are on board also contribute to a feeling of almost 'family'.  

Our last cruise was on the Elizabeth (our first time) and brilliant as it was, there was something almost tangible missing.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific, perhaps someone else may be able to put it into better words than I, but I suspect that once you've set foot on the Mary you will understand what, in my clumsy way, I am trying to say.

Just enjoy the experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Csardas said:

Hello all!

We've cruised on QV and QE and loved them both but we're looking at July '22 and a Mediterranean cruise on QM2. (I teach and am effectively limited to July and, as we live in Scotland, I don't like to take a chance on the weather so  QV and QE alternatives are out.)

I've read plenty of posts which cite their favourite ship but it would be good to get feedback from people like me who started on QV/QE and then tried QM2. The size doesn't bother me. All and any comments welcome, even negative!

We're on that cruise too. The only real problem I've got with QM2 is the long distances, and you say you are OK with that, so I think you'll adore her. As will the bystanders in every port she visits. I also have some minor quibbles in that I think the Grills Lounge and Restaurants are nicer on the Vistas, and they certainly have better views, but this is clearly a matter of taste.

In recent years she hasn't done many (?any?) Med. cruises, so I should book asap.

56 minutes ago, babs135 said:

We've sailed mainly on the QM2 and just love it.  The atmosphere is unique, perhaps because it's an ocean liner rather than simply a cruise ship.  I think that the people who are on board also contribute to a feeling of almost 'family'.  

Our last cruise was on the Elizabeth (our first time) and brilliant as it was, there was something almost tangible missing.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific, perhaps someone else may be able to put it into better words than I, but I suspect that once you've set foot on the Mary you will understand what, in my clumsy way, I am trying to say.

Just enjoy the experience.

The feeling was put into words by my SIL when boarding the first time and every time since…..

A relaxed sigh, accompanied by the gently whispered word of “yes”, then while looking around mentally say slowly  “this is it, I’m home”…. Then let the QM give you a warm hug…..

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Home
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Csardas said:

Hello all!

We have sailed on all three ships and QM2 is our favourite but that doesnt mean to say that she will be your favourite or that you will even like her as only you can answer that by going on her.

• Like 1

Many people adore the QM2, others, like me, prefer the Queen Voctoria and/or Queen Elizabeth.

Coming from the smaller ships you might (sic) find:

• Long ways to walk.
  • Some strange layouts, how to get to place like the night club (much easier to get to and much nicer layout on the QE and QV) or even to the aft pool
  • no access from the buffet to the pool deck
  • an oddly shaped Commodore Club
  • a bit more anonymity 
  • a less pleasing decor of the Queens Room

But also

• a beautiful chart room, more of a separate lounge than the bars on the QE/QV
  • more entertainment options eg due to the planetarium
  • more overall space

and many more differences you might like or not.

Yet, all three share an important feature: they are Cunard ships!

• Like 3

IMHO one cant really compare them

QE/QV are cruise ships albeit reinforced hulls and tarted up to look like a liner whereas QM2 is a bona fide ocean liner.

Yes there are some quirky ways to get around the ship (going down to then come back up) as QM2 has more passageways whereas QE/QV have fewer

The queens room and theatre arent IMHO as nice on QM2 but the Carinthia Lounge is stunning and not on the QE/QV

The essence that is Cunard flows through all 3 ships so you'll enjoy it.

Taken my parents on all three and they say “ ooo we prefer the QE/QV as we find it easier to get around” but they seem to get around on the QM2 fast enough!

5 hours ago, Csardas said:

Hello all!

As others have indicted, there are differences between the three ships, but to decide as to which one is for truly your favourite, you’ll have to experience which one give you a  “hug” on embarkation and at times throughout the voyage.

Consider ending “looking at booking” and make one.  One’s advice is to do so asap, as prices have and will continue to increase as the days pass, plus your holdings of FCDs must be feeling lonely.

For one’s part in a simplistic way, the QV/QE are excellent cruise/holiday ships, but the QM is “the” ship known as a voyage maker.  If that makes sense?

As a QM MD said “Elizabeth and Victoria enter a port, while Mary makes an entrance”

Edited by PORT ROYAL
MD

41 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I'm not a massive fan of the sheltered balconies on QM2 but I will put up with them to sail on her !

@Csardas what do you like about the smaller ships ?

I love the ambience, everyone getting dressed for dinner...everything really!

Thanks to everyone for your input-the deed is done and I've just booked for 2 weeks next July! All of your comments were helpful, including mentioning the amount of walking. Given that our daughter gets married in mid August, some extra walking can only help offset the delicious food.

So happy to have a Cunard cruise booked...

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Those things are still very much in evidence on QM2, she is more difficult to find your way round but the public rooms are very impressive.

I watched some Youtube videos and the public rooms do look lovely!

We started with QV and QE, just like you, Csardas. We have only been on QM2 once. Our second QM2 cruise has been cancelled twice and is now looking a tiny bit more hopeful for this December.

My favourite ship is still QV. I get the hug and feeling of being home when I board her.

However, QM2 is a beautiful ship, and we loved being on her. I agree with all the points Carlmm made. The layout is complicated compared with QV and QE. We didn't get on with the layout of the buffet at all. But, we still loved the ship and can't wait to be back on board. QV might have my heart, but QM2 is a lovely ship and I think you would have a wonderful time on board her. I would leap at the chance to be aboard a beautiful Cunard ship taking, what sounds like, a fabulous cruise. Go for it, I'm sure you will have a great time!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Camgirl said:

We started with QV and QE, just like you, Csardas. We have only been on QM2 once. Our second QM2 cruise has been cancelled twice and is now looking a tiny bit more hopeful for this December.

My favourite ship is still QV. I get the hug and feeling of being home when I board her.

However, QM2 is a beautiful ship, and we loved being on her. I agree with all the points Carlmm made. The layout is complicated compared with QV and QE. We didn't get on with the layout of the buffet at all. But, we still loved the ship and can't wait to be back on board. QV might have my heart, but QM2 is a lovely ship and I think you would have a wonderful time on board her. I would leap at the chance to be aboard a beautiful Cunard ship taking, what sounds like, a fabulous cruise. Go for it, I'm sure you will have a great time!

I also get that feeling on QV, my favorite to date. It's funny how a huge lump of metal can make you feel so strongly. Conversely, my least favourite cruise and cruise ship made my heart sink every time it was time to board after being ashore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Csardas said:

I also get that feeling on QV, my favorite to date. It's funny how a huge lump of metal can make you feel so strongly. Conversely, my least favourite cruise and cruise ship made my heart sink every time it was time to board after being ashore.

May one ask the ship’s name?

Brought up at sea, worked on many cruise ships belonging to multiple lines, including QE / QV and cruised as a passenger on various ships, the first time I saw QM2 in the flesh in Southampton, she took my breath away.   I quite agree how a lump of metal can evoke so much emotion.   That first moment stepping aboard her is like no other.

I cannot say that I find walking around her further or time consuming than any other, despite some of her quirks.

I've co-incidentally worked multiple times on Oceana ships, especially Marina and Nautica.   What was so awful about Riviera?

• Like 1

Our 2019 Carribbean cruise was our first on QM2 after her refit and thought the King's Court buffet was much better, and we really loved the new Carinthia Lounge spending a lot of time beween there and the Pavillion pool. especially in the TA portion of the Voyage. I find lounging in the Pavillion pool listening to Purple Haze pre lunch to be very relaxing.

Jane prefers the internal layout on QE & QV, mainly because she gets lost fewer times on those ships than the QM2, but prefers the outside space on the QM2, it's easier finding room opne one for the upper decks for a sunbed.

I love sitting in the Games corridors on QM deck 2L watching the sea pass the panoramic windows, especially when the sea is a  little lively.

Like you, I love sitting on those little pink (well, they used to be) chairs, looking out and seeing how close the waves are. It is one of my favourite places. I often wonder whether it was an accident - they had this space and needed to put something in it - or whether S. Payne thought when doing the design that it would be somewhere people would love to sit.

1 hour ago, rakkor said:

I love sitting in the Games corridors on QM deck 2L watching the sea pass the panoramic windows, especially when the sea is a  little lively.

Couldn't agree more.  As you say it can be quite 'interesting' sitting there when the sea is rough.

And

Talking of walking distances - can anyone confirm (or not) that the Mary has one of the longest passenger deck corridors?  I'm sure I've read about it somewhere but I can't find it.

9 hours ago, showingdiva said:

Brought up at sea, worked on many cruise ships belonging to multiple lines, including QE / QV and cruised as a passenger on various ships, the first time I saw QM2 in the flesh in Southampton, she took my breath away.   I quite agree how a lump of metal can evoke so much emotion.   That first moment stepping aboard her is like no other.

I cannot say that I find walking around her further or time consuming than any other, despite some of her quirks.

I've co-incidentally worked multiple times on Oceana ships, especially Marina and Nautica.   What was so awful about Riviera?

We just didn't enjoy the cruise much. It's a bit too glitzy for me - prefer Cunard's style-and there were just a series of things(too trivial perhaps for this forum) that made us feel that it was the emperor's new clothes without actual quality.

• Like 2

I was talking with my husband last night about how we both prefer a lot of things about the smaller ships (easier to navigate, better Commodore Club, better buffet layout, Gin and Fizz bar) but there's just something about the QM2 that makes it our favourite ship. I don't know whether it is the lavish public spaces, the atmosphere or the fact that when we sail on her we tend to pick TAs and have time to completely relax.

We're on QE next month and I'm absolutely itching to be back on board even if we have to wear masks and can't get off without going on an arranged excursion. But a big part of me is disappointed that I don't have chance to do one last childless hurrah on QM2 before my baby arrives in January and holidays become something very different.

• Like 1