CVS Rapid Antigen Test

luv4cruises

This just hit my email for my 8/14 sailing.  These seem to be coming daily……changed 72 hour to 3 days.  That should help.

As an aside, I got my PCR test from my GP today.  Should have results tomorrow.  GP’s office will email me with the results so I can print them out and also have the email on my iPhone as backup.

Will get an Antigen test at CVS if the PCR isn’t available by about 3:00 p.m.  I think CVS promises results in “several hours”.

Either way, I’ll have my testing results by Friday, for my Saturday sailing.

I do think Walgreens does both PCR and Antigen, as does CVS.

If you’re a U.S. citizen, these tests should be free.

Home tests are unacceptable by Celebrity.

Before we set sail, we would like you to provide an additional reminder that Celebrity Cruises has established enhanced COVID-19 testing requirements for both vaccinated and unvaccinated guests.

All guests over the age of two, regardless of vaccination status, will be required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test, conducted within three days of embarkation. Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as covering all associated costs. Guests arriving at the terminal without a negative COVID-19 test result may be denied boarding.

Unvaccinated guests 12 years of age and older, will be required to take an additional COVID-19 test at the terminal prior to embarkation, mid-cruise and on the day before disembarkation. Unvaccinated children between the ages of 6 months and 11 years of age will be required to take an additional PCR test at the terminal prior to embarkation, and on the day before disembarkation. A registration link for required testing will be sent separately. Should a guest be unable to complete the testing requirements, a 100% refund or Future Cruise Credit will be offered.

Following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines, Celebrity Cruises will sail with all crew vaccinated and at least 95% of guests will be fully vaccinated. All guests 12 years and older (18 years and older for residents of the UK) must be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing.

Acceptable vaccines include any brands that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO). Please be aware that certain countries we sail from or visit during a voyage may require a specific vaccine, and only those travelers vaccinated with the requisite vaccine will be considered fully vaccinated. Be sure and advise your clients to review their departure country's travel requirements prior to sailing.

All sailings departing the U.S. are subject to guidance from the CDC. Currently, the CDC does not recognize any mixed combination of COVID-19 vaccines as fully vaccinated. For sailings departing the United States, to be recognized as fully vaccinated, guests 12 years of age and older, must complete a vaccine series with products from the same manufacturer, with the last dose administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. All sailings departing from St. Maarten will also follow this guidance.

For sailings departing from the UK, Greece or the Galapagos, Celebrity Cruises will follow the respective country guidance and allow for a mix of AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. Guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette departing from Southampton, Celebrity Apex departing from Athens or Celebrity Flora, Xploration and Xpedition in the Galapagos may have mixed doses as follows:

AstraZeneca, with the AstraZeneca dose being administered first, followed within 8-12 weeks by either the Pfizer or Moderna dose.

One dose of Pfizer or Moderna followed at least four weeks later by a second dose of Pfizer or Moderna.

No other mixed vaccine doses will be accepted. Additionally, Celebrity Cruise will not accept any form of Certificate of Recovery.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, graphicguy said:

This just hit my email for my 8/14 sailing.  These seem to be coming daily……changed 72 hour to 3 days.  That should help.

As an aside, I got my PCR test from my GP today.  Should have results tomorrow.  GP’s office will email me with the results so I can print them out and also have the email on my iPhone as backup.

Will get an Antigen test at CVS if the PCR isn’t available by about 3:00 p.m.  I think CVS promises results in “several hours”.

Either way, I’ll have my testing results by Friday, for my Saturday sailing.

I do think Walgreens does both PCR and Antigen, as does CVS.

If you’re a U.S. citizen, these tests should be free.

Home tests are unacceptable by Celebrity.

Before we set sail, we would like you to provide an additional reminder that Celebrity Cruises has established enhanced COVID-19 testing requirements for both vaccinated and unvaccinated guests.

All guests over the age of two, regardless of vaccination status, will be required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test, conducted within three days of embarkation. Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as covering all associated costs. Guests arriving at the terminal without a negative COVID-19 test result may be denied boarding.

Unvaccinated guests 12 years of age and older, will be required to take an additional COVID-19 test at the terminal prior to embarkation, mid-cruise and on the day before disembarkation. Unvaccinated children between the ages of 6 months and 11 years of age will be required to take an additional PCR test at the terminal prior to embarkation, and on the day before disembarkation. A registration link for required testing will be sent separately. Should a guest be unable to complete the testing requirements, a 100% refund or Future Cruise Credit will be offered.

Following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines, Celebrity Cruises will sail with all crew vaccinated and at least 95% of guests will be fully vaccinated. All guests 12 years and older (18 years and older for residents of the UK) must be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing.

Acceptable vaccines include any brands that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO). Please be aware that certain countries we sail from or visit during a voyage may require a specific vaccine, and only those travelers vaccinated with the requisite vaccine will be considered fully vaccinated. Be sure and advise your clients to review their departure country's travel requirements prior to sailing.

All sailings departing the U.S. are subject to guidance from the CDC. Currently, the CDC does not recognize any mixed combination of COVID-19 vaccines as fully vaccinated. For sailings departing the United States, to be recognized as fully vaccinated, guests 12 years of age and older, must complete a vaccine series with products from the same manufacturer, with the last dose administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. All sailings departing from St. Maarten will also follow this guidance.

For sailings departing from the UK, Greece or the Galapagos, Celebrity Cruises will follow the respective country guidance and allow for a mix of AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. Guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette departing from Southampton, Celebrity Apex departing from Athens or Celebrity Flora, Xploration and Xpedition in the Galapagos may have mixed doses as follows:

AstraZeneca, with the AstraZeneca dose being administered first, followed within 8-12 weeks by either the Pfizer or Moderna dose.

One dose of Pfizer or Moderna followed at least four weeks later by a second dose of Pfizer or Moderna.

No other mixed vaccine doses will be accepted. Additionally, Celebrity Cruise will not accept any form of Certificate of Recovery.

The same email I got yesterday for our Aug 27th Equinox cruise.  We made appointments for the after noon of Tuesday the 24th at CVS for the rapid antigen tests. From past experience we will have results by the time we go to bed that night. This the same CVS we received our vaccinations last March. CVS has a lot of experience with Covid vaccinations and testing.

CVS also has a program as a preferred provider of Covid testing for the NCL brands, which should tell you that CVS is an accepted national chain provider of Covid testing. Under this program CVS sends the test results directly to NCL, something like this would be nice for RCCL to do. When I contacted Celebrity about testing two weeks ago I was told that they would accept test results from "reputable national pharmacies like CVS, Walgreens and Rite aid" I think too many are needlessly stressing over this whole testing thing.

• Like 2

Although we are not sailing until late November I am curious how it might be for me under the current requirements for testing.  We embark on 11/20 but flying into FLL on 11/18.  If I get tested on 11/17 at CVS at home will I get result in time and how does one get the result? We are "old school" and in the past we called for result and waited to get our result on our home computer.  If the test and  result is immediate could we get it when we arrive in FLL?  

I am stressed already.

15 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

The same email I got yesterday for our Aug 27th Equinox cruise.  We made appointments for the after noon of Tuesday the 24th at CVS for the rapid antigen tests. From past experience we will have results by the time we go to bed that night. This the same CVS we received our vaccinations last March. CVS has a lot of experience with Covid vaccinations and testing.

CVS also has a program as a preferred provider of Covid testing for the NCL brands, which should tell you that CVS is an accepted national chain provider of Covid testing. Under this program CVS sends the test results directly to NCL, something like this would be nice for RCCL to do. When I contacted Celebrity about testing two weeks ago I was told that they would accept test results from "reputable national pharmacies like CVS, Walgreens and Rite aid" I think too many are needlessly stressing over this whole testing thing.

I concur.  I think the large chains around U.S. like CVS and Walgreens have done a good job in letting people know the tests they have available and the type of tests they offer.  Both offer PCR and Antigen.  I’ve only used PCR tests, as those are the most accurate.  I get results in a day or less.  Should have the results from mine this a.m. from my GP.  If not, I’ll trek over to CVS for the Antigen test to take with me.

Would be nice if my results could be transmitted directly to Celebrity.  But, that’s another layer of technology that could “glitch” and not be available upon embarkation.  So, I’d probably still carry a hard copy with me, anyway.  

I tend to over plan all ID information required to begin with when I cruise.  Heaven forbid anyone finding my carcass passed out somewhere in Cozumel when cruising and not know who I am and if I have any communicable diseases I may hide.  I carry my passport AND a copy of the first page with me, in addition to my passport card, which I carry with me when I enter a port.  I carry the COVID vaccine card AND a copy of it with me.  I carry my both my AMEX and my VISA card just in case my insurance isn’t recognized or I have to bail myself out of jail with only the $37 I carry with me in foreign ports.  My wallet could be considered carry on luggage it’s stuffed with “stuff” I’ll probably never need.  Plus, I refuse wearing the dorky “fanny packs”.

Gate agents hide when they see me coming their way for embarkation.  I have files upon files in book form as I approach them.

”Here’s some ID…it’s my 5th grade report card.  How about the results of my last colonoscopy?  Got that, too.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, dazey said:

Although we are not sailing until late November I am curious how it might be for me under the current requirements for testing.  We embark on 11/20 but flying into FLL on 11/18.  If I get tested on 11/17 at CVS at home will I get result in time and how does one get the result? We are "old school" and in the past we called for result and waited to get our result on our home computer.  If the test and  result is immediate could we get it when we arrive in FLL?  

I am stressed already.

I had a PCR test from CVS last month.  They email the results to you.  At least near me, they were pretty quick.  I got results in less than 24 hours.  I just print out my email. It had my name, date of test and results.  Pretty thorough.

I case you’re a worry wart, like me, and want to make doubly certain you’ll have your results, you can schedule an antigen test at CVS or Walgreens somewhere near FLL.  They’ll have those results in hours.

In all reality, there isn’t much difference in the wait time for results for PCR or Antigen for me, though.

You’ll be fine.

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

So you are paying for 4 tests?  What is the cost?

Not Bill, but my GP states I can test every day if I wanted.  Granted, I'm on Medicare.  But, from what I've read, even those who are uninsured can get a free COVID test every day.  I think this is a U.S. mandate.  Not sure about costs for testing in other countries, or those who wants tests who are from other countries.

I think the costs that I've seen are for those places who capitalize on the need/want to have a result in an hour or less.

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Not Bill, but my GP states I can test every day if I wanted.  Granted, I'm on Medicare.  But, from what I've read, even those who are uninsured can get a free COVID test every day.  I think this is a U.S. mandate.  Not sure about costs for testing in other countries, or those who wants tests who are from other countries.

I think the costs that I've seen are for those places who capitalize on the need/want to have a result in an hour or less.

I was under the impression that in some areas you have to pay for rapid turn-around tests out of pocket.  Perhaps a fee if you are going to a private testing clinic or walk in clinic?  A google search lists a number of places doing rapid tests for a fee.  CVS is not everywhere and many locations do not offer rapid antigen tests according to what I have read on these boards.

For those who say there is no need to stress... Let them eat cake!

Antigen & PCR tests are "apparently" readily available in the BIG cities.  If Marie Antoinette is not in the castle and lives in the village, small cities/towns...she "might" have the choice of a faster Antigen test,  or her result may be delayed from 12 hours to longer with a PCR.

If Princess Antoinette is visiting her parents on the FARM outside the walled villages...she will NOT get a choice.  She will only have access to a PCR test!  It will have to be hauled to the nearest village...and there is no guarantee how long that horse has to ride to town and back.   😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I was under the impression that in some areas you have to pay for rapid turn-around tests out of pocket.  Perhaps a fee if you are going to a private testing clinic or walk in clinic?  A google search lists a number of places doing rapid tests for a fee.  CVS is not everywhere and many locations do not offer rapid antigen tests according to what I have read on these boards.

I do think some of those alleged rapid turn around test sites are charging.  I think it's a dubious business.  But, for those who need/want results as quickly as possible, or as you say, someone not close to a pharmacy, I suppose that's their choice.

Personally, my GP doesn't charge me.  And, while my results aren't available in 30 minutes, they get my results back to me in less than 24 hours.  Plus, I have internet access to my medical history (including COVID test results) that I can access from anywhere at any time, right from my phone or iPad.

And, it's the more accurate PCR test.

Edited by graphicguy

23 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Most national chains will take insurance for testing costs. Uninsured at these same clinics can have their test cost paid through a Federal program. However there is no requirement that testing facilities have to take insurance or participate in Federal programs. A local urgent care here advertises they do walk in testing but they do not take any insurance, they charge $225 for either the PCR or rapid antigen tests. If you plan ahead and schedule either test at a chain like CVS, or Walgreens you will pay nothing out of pocket, but procrastination could cost you if you have to use a last minute walk in clinic. My sister and her husband were supposed to have gone to Hawaii last April and Hawaii required a negative PCR test from their list of preferred testing providers, like CVS. They procrastinated and could not get a test at CVS scheduled before their flight to Hawaii so they used the local urgent care and paid $225 each. When they got to Hawaii they were denied entry because the local urgent care was not on the Hawaii approved list. They had no choice but to fly home.

35 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Your are correct not all CVS locations do the rapid test because they do not have the equipment to process the test. Here in my city we have over 30 CVS locations but only 5 of them offer the Rapid Antigen tests , but all of them do the PCR tests.  If you have a CVS close that does PCR testing only, you should go there, they will return the results in most cases in 24 hours. 

1 hour ago, spiritkat090909 said:

For those who say there is no need to stress... Let them eat cake!

Antigen & PCR tests are "apparently" readily available in the BIG cities.  If Marie Antoinette is not in the castle and lives in the village, small cities/towns...she "might" have the choice of a faster Antigen test,  or her result may be delayed from 12 hours to longer with a PCR.

If Princess Antoinette is visiting her parents on the FARM outside the walled villages...she will NOT get a choice.  She will only have access to a PCR test!  It will have to be hauled to the nearest village...and there is no guarantee how long that horse has to ride to town and back.   😉

Interesting analogy but.......Is a city like Seattle on your list?  Big city right?  A lot of us will be cruising to Alaska and want to stay there in advance.  No rapid testing with easy access except for the airport apparently.  However I can choose to travel to the villages (suburbs) and pay a lot for the trip back and forth.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Most national chains will take insurance for testing costs. Uninsured at these same clinics can have their test cost paid through a Federal program. However there is no requirement that testing facilities have to take insurance or participate in Federal programs. A local urgent care here advertises they do walk in testing but they do not take any insurance, they charge $225 for either the PCR or rapid antigen tests. If you plan ahead and schedule either test at a chain like CVS, or Walgreens you will pay nothing out of pocket, but procrastination could cost you if you have to use a last minute walk in clinic. My sister and her husband were supposed to have gone to Hawaii last April and Hawaii required a negative PCR test from their list of preferred testing providers, like CVS. They procrastinated and could not get a test at CVS scheduled before their flight to Hawaii so they used the local urgent care and paid $225 each. When they got to Hawaii they were denied entry because the local urgent care was not on the Hawaii approved list. They had no choice but to fly home.

Some insurance carriers will not pay for travel-related testing.  Only if you have symptoms.  Many people ignore this and check off a few boxes on the symptom page.

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I have seen the same for a rapid antigen.     At lest for me, my health care provider advised me to pay the fee and file a claim and they will reimburse me.   They even have an online portal to submit claim to speed up reimbursement.

Check with your insurance provider. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I was looking for options.  The CVS where we live does not offer Rapid antigen tests and the turn-around time for PCR is 48-72 hours.  It seems to depend on when the tests are picked up to be send out of state to be processed.  If we test on Wednesday but it is after the tests were picked up then test doesn't go out until Thursday, overnight to the lab arriving on  Friday.   We will be paying for a lab to do the test with 2 hr turn-around.

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

I was looking for options.  The CVS where we live does not offer Rapid antigen tests and the turn-around time for PCR is 48-72 hours.  It seems to depend on when the tests are picked up to be send out of state to be processed.  If we test on Wednesday but it is after the tests were picked up then test doesn't go out until Thursday, overnight to the lab arriving on  Friday.   We will be paying for a lab to do the test with 2 hr turn-around.

months ago before i was eligible for the shot, i took the pcr test before visiting my elderly mom.

took the test fri afternoon, test results on Tues!

so it's 48-72 business hrs apparently

Edited by fstuff1

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Your are correct not all CVS locations do the rapid test because they do not have the equipment to process the test. Here in my city we have over 30 CVS locations but only 5 of them offer the Rapid Antigen tests , but all of them do the PCR tests.  If you have a CVS close that does PCR testing only, you should go there, they will return the results in most cases in 24 hours. 

Throwing another monkey wrench into the works - I’m seeing the first signs of testing overwhelming the system. Some test kits are on allocation to large customers.

DH scheduled a post-cruise test at a local CVS and his appointment was canceled. Have a backup plan if you are in a hot-spot like us.

1 minute ago, cangelmd said:

Throwing another monkey wrench into the works - I’m seeing the first signs of testing overwhelming the system. Some test kits are on allocation to large customers.

DH scheduled a post-cruise test at a local CVS and his appointment was canceled. Have a backup plan if you are in a hot-spot like us.

Back up is a PCR at same CVS 

27 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

months ago before i was eligible for the shot, i took the pcr test before visiting my elderly mom.

took the test fri afternoon, test results on Tues!

so it's 48-72 business hrs apparently

I have been told if you get a PCR test on Fridays the result will not be until  Monday or Tuesday because the testing labs do not work over weekends.