Anyone getting denied exemptions for cruises?

heath1414

What the CDC fails to account for is people who have recovered from COVID, test negative and can't get a vaccine for a long period of time.  These folks supposedly now have immunity just like vaccinated people.  

And yes there are people who for any number of reasons cannot get vaccinated.  These are the  people where medical risks need to be answered and procedures in place, 

The biggest issue with unvaccinated cruisers is that they will have to be tested for covid on the way back to the home port.  If positive, then the entire family has to be tested.  Contrast that with a vaccinated person who may have covid, but has no symptoms.  The bigger risk for the cruise line exceeding the 1.5% infection rate is mandatory testing of the unvaccinated, leading to testing of the vaccinated.  If not for that, then cruises would show a lot less positive cases and the risk of being shut down is less.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScottsSweetie said:

And I again point out that, from a safety standpoint, you cannot be in a crowd of 2000 people anywhere else and be assured that 95% of that population is vaccinated.

And how much time are you spending near THAT group of 2000 people? Five seconds? Those 2000 people are not the same as 4000 on a ship 24/7 for a week in the middle of the ocean. Are you dining with 500 of those 2000 you note every night? Are you at a bar or in a theater with them? Doubt it ..... Have you learned nothing over the past 18 months? It has nothing to do with moral opposition. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Yes, I get that you and some others are morally opposed to allowing unvaccinated people to cruise. Carnival (along with the other cruise lines) has made their stance clear so you'll either have to come to terms with that or not. And I again point out that, from a safety standpoint, you cannot be in a crowd of 2000 people anywhere else and be assured that 95% of that population is vaccinated.

I and others have said that adults make decisions and then have to live with the consequences of their decisions. Is that something you disagree with?

Getting back on track: my wife and daughter (both not fully vaccinated) were denied for our Vista cruise this weekend (8/14).  I had to call several times until I finally got an answer this past Wednesday.

I understood, and moved the cruise out to 2022.  We're a glass half-full family! 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Nope.

Good, but let me explain my position more fully.

The question was who should be the priority for exemptions given that a cruise line has adopted the CDC 95% guideline. Should it be children under 12 who have no choice in the matter, or should it be adults who decided not to get vaccinated knowing there are consequences. No moral judgement there, just a simple choice of should adults take responsibility for their actions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

The question was who should be the priority for exemptions given that a cruise line has adopted the CDC 95% guideline. Should it be children under 12 who have no choice in the matter, or should it be adults who decided not to get vaccinated knowing there are consequences. No moral judgement there, just a simple choice of should adults take responsibility for their actions.

The priority should simply go to children who cannot at this point period. You shouldn't even be allowed to ask for an exemption as an adult simply because you refuse to get the vaccination. It really is simple, the cruise lines have a right to set the guidelines to use their vessels. If you choose not to follow those guidelines that is on you and not to scream discrimination.  Those are my two cents anyway. I'm a staunch conservative but sick of everyone playing politics with COVID. 

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Personally, I have no issue with anyone (of any age) who is currently not able to receive the vaccine receiving an exemption. I agree that actions (or inactions) have consequences.

The reality is that it doesn't matter what you or I think. As far as Carnival goes, it's their world and we just live in it (or we stay ashore). They will exempt whoever and however many they wish - and we will choose to sail with those parameters or not.

Edited by ScottsSweetie

1 hour ago, ScottsSweetie said:

The reality is that it doesn't matter what you or I think. As far as Carnival goes, it's their world and we just live in it (or we stay ashore). They will exempt whoever and however many they wish - and we will choose to sail with those parameters or not.

Well from Saturday on it might be safer on a ship than on the shore. At least we will know that nobody brought the virus onboard.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Maybe but I doubt that would be grounds for discrimination  ….. and I nor most everyone else’s health should not be compromised on the ship or in port because of another adult individual who supposedly can’t be vaccinated. They should vacation somewhere else where vaccines aren’t required. Their problem should not be the problem of everyone else. 

Let me ask you a question. I assume you took the vaccine to protect you and your family from death from Covid? If in fact the vaccine protects you then why in Gods name do you care about having unvaccinated on the ship? What are you afraid off, you got the vaccine?

22 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

What the CDC fails to account for is people who have recovered from COVID, test negative and can't get a vaccine for a long period of time.  These folks supposedly now have immunity just like vaccinated people.  

And yes there are people who for any number of reasons cannot get vaccinated.  These are the  people where medical risks need to be answered and procedures in place, 

You don't have to wait more than a month after having covid before you can be vaccinated. Immunity of recovered cases is not the same as having the vaccine because it can be a lot shorter than the vaccine. The vaccine is still recommended if someone has recovered from covid. In most states, the vaccine has been available to all since April/May. So even if you caught covid right before you could be vaccinated you would have recovered, waited a month and been fully vaccinated by now. It might've been different for the July cruises but at this point having previously had covid is not a valid reason not to be vaccinated. (For 18 plus at least, without another medical reason preventing vaccination.)

• Like 3

On 8/12/2021 at 2:55 PM, crewsweeper said:

Inaccurate information.

Please do a google search and your will find accurate information about receiving the vaccination and the misleading cant about immunity of those that recovered from Covid. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eaflorida said:

Let me ask you a question. I assume you took the vaccine to protect you and your family from death from Covid? If in fact the vaccine protects you then why in Gods name do you care about having unvaccinated on the ship? What are you afraid off, you got the vaccine?

Not afraid for myself... my concern is for other unvaccinated individuals, children, pregnant women, immuno-compromised who are vaccinated but whose protection may be waning.  I think about people other than myself.  I'm not a selfish human being.  

• Like 3

Thats great that  your granddaughter got approved.  We are waiting for an approval for our 11 year old for the first week of October.  Im surprised you got it so soon.  I figured we wouldn't know until two weeks before we cruise.  Can I ask you how long in advance you booked your cruise in case that has anything to do with it?

On 8/12/2021 at 12:30 PM, heath1414 said:

I'm taking my cruise with my 3 kids (2 vaxed teens and one unvaxed 5yo) in October. I'm hoping since there will be less kids I'm more likely to get an exemption for my little one

We just got ours today for our cruise on 9/26. And saw others in a group for their cruises on 9/25&9/24 get theirs in the last few days so it looks like they are starting to do these 45 days out. Probably helps that our cruises are after school starts back up

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shirlden said:

Back on topic.. I just received an exemption for my 8 year old granddaughter for our cruise that goes out at the end of September. She is so super excited. 

Got ours today for our 2yr old on our 9/26 sailing

On 8/12/2021 at 12:18 PM, ontheweb said:

It matters because those under 12 did not choose not to get vaccinated. Adults made their decision and should be prepared to live with the consequences of their decision making. JMHO

I agree.  Sadly though even though I have 2 vaccines and am considered FULLY vaccinated in Canada, the CDC doesn't recognize the mixed dose of AstraZeneca / Pfiser that I received.  Many (hundreds of thousands actually) Canadians have the mixed doses.  However, if the CDC and Carnival do not allow, I will NOT be asking for an exception.  We will not be sailing.  We have a Christmas 2021 booked with 11 family members.  All fully vaccinated but 3 of us have the mixed dose.  The CDC has to change their guidelines before Sept 25 or all 11 of us will cancel.  It makes me sad but that is life.  

I think the exception should be left for those under 12.  Not adults who choose not to be vaccinated.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdm289 said:

I agree.  Sadly though even though I have 2 vaccines and am considered FULLY vaccinated in Canada, the CDC doesn't recognize the mixed dose of AstraZeneca / Pfiser that I received.  Many (hundreds of thousands actually) Canadians have the mixed doses.  However, if the CDC and Carnival do not allow, I will NOT be asking for an exception.  We will not be sailing.  We have a Christmas 2021 booked with 11 family members.  All fully vaccinated but 3 of us have the mixed dose.  The CDC has to change their guidelines before Sept 25 or all 11 of us will cancel.  It makes me sad but that is life.  

I think the exception should be left for those under 12.  Not adults who choose not to be vaccinated.  

Im really sorry you have to deal with that 😞 I have good friends in Canada and they were telling us about what they had to go through to get the vaccine. That really upsets when in the US we now have to start trying to bride people to take it while our friends to the north have to mix doses 😞

7 hours ago, cdm289 said:

Yes, an unfortunate situation. I hope everything works out for you.🤞 I have my doubts though because the CDC is a bureaucracy and we all know how they work or should I say don't work when it comes to changing a policy.

28 minutes ago, Babr said:

The ship will be doing what it can to provide a safe experience, but you have to get there and that means time in the port cities.

Just needed to repeat this.

For those not aware. healthy children (under twelve)and healthy unvaccinated young adults (twelve and up for vaccination purposes) are now the population that are finding their way to hospital beds and ICUs and are dying.

And if one is still bringing an unvaccinated passenger, please be thoughtful of others and make sure they are masked.

• Like 3