Cabin 6082 Zuiderdam Question

GeorgiaPeach51

We have booked Cabin 6082 for the 35 day Hawaii, Tahiti and Marquesas cruise in 2023.  It is amazingly booked already with no Signature Suites available.

So,  we booked this cabin, but I found one little sentence in the search function that mentioned the adjacent elevator passengers being able to see into our balcony.  Can anyone who has had this cabin or one similar, on the starboard side, 6091, advise as to how much of an issue this created?

Many thanks,  Joanie

2 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

We have booked Cabin 6082 for the 35 day Hawaii, Tahiti and Marquesas cruise in 2023.  It is amazingly booked already with no Signature Suites available.

So,  we booked this cabin, but I found one little sentence in the search function that mentioned the adjacent elevator passengers being able to see into our balcony.  Can anyone who has had this cabin or one similar, on the starboard side, 6091, advise as to how much of an issue this created?

Many thanks,  Joanie

Yes, you are are midship (great location) next to the glass,  midship elevators. The elevators are glass, letting people look out for some great views  and they can see some of your balcony if they are so inclined.  The elevators sail past pretty fast though.

The whole balcony isn’t seen - just a portion.  If the cabin next to it happens to me available, that would be the solution if you want to avoid it.

• Like 1

Thanks, Kazu, for responding.  This was the only cabin available in the VA category on that deck, so we are going to go with it....I think we can just deal with it!  We are pretty circumspect on our balcony!  While it’s great that the elevator zips by, it will inevitably stop on deck 6, so we will wave as people wait for the loading and unloading, I guess!

Might make some new acquaintances!

Joanie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I didn’t have this exact cabin, but we  did have cabins 5102, 5104 and 5106 on the Eurodam, a few cabins down from the elevator, I loved the location and the elevator never bothered us, we waved to folks…..enjoy your cruise…

Edited by doone
  • Like 1

We stayed on a similar cabin and it was one HAL selected. I was worried about noise more than privacy. I was happy to find there is NO noise from the elevator. The privacy issue didnt' concern me because I never wear anything less than my normal 'cruise casual' when I sit outside, and on that particular cruise it was really  too hot to sit outside for most of the trip. We just recently selected cabin 5100 on Zuiderdam (for our 2022 49-day sail to Hawaii and the South Pacific) because of the fabulous mid-ship location. 

• Like 1

Because your cruise is so far out I would keep tabs on other cabins that may become available as other passengers change their minds. We had VC 6112 on the Eurodam on our 18-day Hawaiian Circle which is just after the aft bumpout and adjacent to the aft elevators. Great location, and we currently have booked VC 6110 for our 12-day Adriatic Dream aboard the now Oosterdam. What I like is no lifeboats/tenders in line of sight,  and easy access to the Lido Market and Sea View pool area.

Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Here is a picture from the Oosterdam's elevator towards the 2 Verandah staterooms - if the divider were closed, you could see onto just the first balcony

1907580921_Outsideelevatorview-verandah.jpg.f899d5d44f0fa1b345134d629bc0ee6e.jpg

Here is the view towards the Neptune Suite

230784715_Outsideelevatorview-neptune.jpg.dd498fce57ecd6d251e5f854ade2db67.jpg

Cruise Suzy, thanks for these photos.  Big UH OH.  It appears that anyone can see essentially the entire balcony.  No privacy at all.  Based on prior responses I thought we would have some privacy if we sat back from the railing, but it appears not.  I would not want to be on the balcony in my pj’s even.  Sigh.  😟

Your photos were taken from the balconies of the two cabins adjacent on both sides to the elevator, right?   Thanks SO much for taking the time to post these.  

Joanie

Looking at the deck plan, it shows the elevator extending beyond the balconies of the adjacent cabins.....but the photos show the elevator indented and the balconies extending beyond the elevator...making them essentially wide open to the elevator passengers.  Not a problem as the elevator zips by, but a problem when it stops on deck 6.  

4 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Looking at the deck plan, it shows the elevator extending beyond the balconies of the adjacent cabins.....but the photos show the elevator indented and the balconies extending beyond the elevator...making them essentially wide open to the elevator passengers.  Not a problem as the elevator zips by, but a problem when it stops on deck 6.  

Here's a photo that I took on Deck 6 of the Zuiderdam, port side, looking aft.  You can see the elevator shaft on the right

enhance

(photo by turtles06)

Thanks, Turtles06, for digging out that photo for us!  It helps.  We are going to stick with the cabin, I THINK,  based on the comments and photos so kindly provided.  I’ll report back and let you all know how we felt about it after the cruise.  Still a little hesitant because it’s a 35 day cruise and if we hate it, it is a long time to be stuck with it.  Decisions, decisions....

Joanie

6 hours ago, Pia1913 said:

Does anyone have an opinion on signature Suite 6099?  We just booked this one for 50 days Vancouver to San Diego in 2022.  Oh yes, it also includes Tales of the South Pacific between the two ports. 😁

Shhhhhh.....just between us......On Oosterdam (sister to Zuiderdam) I had SS6101 (next to 6099) and would book it again for sure.  I like being close to the midship and aft elevators because most of the time I spend in the mid/aft areas of the ship.  I'm eyeballing that cruise too!

~Nancy

17 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Shhhhhh.....just between us......On Oosterdam (sister to Zuiderdam) I had SS6101 (next to 6099) and would book it again for sure.  I like being close to the midship and aft elevators because most of the time I spend in the mid/aft areas of the ship.  I'm eyeballing that cruise too!

~Nancy

Come join us!  It’s only once a year to try to catch it!  We love that it’s a combo of almost a transPacific and a cruise to places we really want to go.  The HAL guy we booked with mentioned that it is really booked up for a cruise so far out on the calendar....

Joanie

@GeorgiaPeach51, I have never stayed in one of those staterooms next to the elevator, but...coming at the question from the other direction, I was always curious about them, as they are often last to be booked and are sometimes a good buy.   So being curious , and as those are our favorite elevators, I tried to see the balconies while passing by or while stopped to get off -- just to see if they were bad staterooms.  

I couldn't see a darn thing.  The elevators go by fast.  And if one is getting on or off, there is just a fleeting opportunity to spy.  So I'd book that stateroom in a heartbeat.

I think anything on that deck 6 is comfortable.  As far as noise, we've been near other elevators on many occasions and never hear them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AncientWanderer said:

@GeorgiaPeach51, I have never stayed in one of those staterooms next to the elevator, but...coming at the question from the other direction, I was always curious about them, as they are often last to be booked and are sometimes a good buy.   So being curious , and as those are our favorite elevators, I tried to see the balconies while passing by or while stopped to get off -- just to see if they were bad staterooms.  

I couldn't see a darn thing.  The elevators go by fast.  And if one is getting on or off, there is just a fleeting opportunity to spy.  So I'd book that stateroom in a heartbeat.

I think anything on that deck 6 is comfortable.  As far as noise, we've been near other elevators on many occasions and never hear them.

Awww, bless you for taking the time to check it out!  You really have set our minds at ease.  Thank you so much!!!

Joanie

• Like 1

I always wave to people too, 🙂 

We book the partial views right below these balconies and I always wonder if people can see in, I found out that the crew certainly can while preparing the tenders.

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

We're in 6080 for the cruise, and think the mid-ship location is great, central to everyplace.  We were scheduled for this cruise last year and it was canceled so we moved our reservation to this year.  With all the current news, we're not sure we are going but we're waiting until early February to see what conditions are at that point.

Tom and Catherine

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2021 at 9:53 AM, Heartgrove said:

Because your cruise is so far out I would keep tabs on other cabins that may become available as other passengers change their minds. We had VC 6112 on the Eurodam on our 18-day Hawaiian Circle which is just after the aft bumpout and adjacent to the aft elevators. Great location, and we currently have booked VC 6110 for our 12-day Adriatic Dream aboard the now Oosterdam. What I like is no lifeboats/tenders in line of sight,  and easy access to the Lido Market and Sea View pool area.

Jack

Hello Jack,

We're hoping to be on the Zuiderdam, which I believe is the twin to the Oosterdam?  I see that those 2 cabins - 6110 and 6112 are connecting cabins.  Was there any noise from the adjoining cabin?

On 3/7/2022 at 8:17 AM, trixiee said:

Hello Jack,

We're hoping to be on the Zuiderdam, which I believe is the twin to the Oosterdam?  I see that those 2 cabins - 6110 and 6112 are connecting cabins.  Was there any noise from the adjoining cabin?

Hi Trixiee,

We have yet to do that sailing. You are correct, those are connecting rooms on the Zuiderdam. I must have had brain fade when I wrote that as we are actually in 7090 on the Oosterdam. Next May 2023 we are on the Zuiderdam but in 6120.

Jack

• Like 1