The Daily for Saturday August 14, 2021

richwmn

28 minutes ago, msmayor said:

Good morning all!

@kazu, the goose on a moose made me laugh out loud!  Reminded me a little of the rhyme from our last trip up to Toronto when we struggled to keep track of our 'loonies' and 'two-nies'!

Today's list of days just shows there's a special day for everyone!  

I have yet to succumb to the Instant-Pot crowd and don't own one.  To those who have one, is it worth the storage space?  I wonder if it would make dinner planning for my now-retired DH easier...he's still learning to 'time' different dishes so they are all done together, but maybe everything in one pot will make that much easier.

I've never met an Aussie Shiraz I haven't liked...Australian wines fall in my top three regions for deliciousness.

@dfish, hope you enjoy your family day. 

@grapau27, just beautiful pictures - really captures a peaceful looking place

My day will start with a relaxing manicure/pedicure, but then some errands and packing.  I'm off to Atlanta tomorrow for five days on business.  We've been 'unmasked' here in NJ for a couple of months, but Atlanta (along with most of the south) is now a hotbed of COVID with vaccination rates still on the low side...indoor mask mandate in place down there.  Pulling out a few of my washable masks and a fresh box of disposables for the suitcase, and the photo of my vaccine card saved to 'favorites' on my phone so I can access easily if needed.  

Have a wonderful day everyone!

I really like my slow cooker better but I do use my instant pot (gift from dds) because you can do everything in it like sauté your meat first so it isn’t grey when done. No extra pans to wash.  I have a small one, 3 quart, but it is sufficient for two people and I can make enough rice for many more if I am just making rice in it.  My daughters have six quart size fir family meals.

• Like 17

Good morning, and thank you for the daily report. Today is our fifth day after adopting our 8-1/2 year old rescue Alaskan Malamute.

Two months ago we put down our Alaskan Malamute, Juno, at 13 years two months. She brought joy to our family for over five years. But Samson will assume her position in our family. The best tribute to losing a rescue dog is to adopt another.

0226191939.jpg

0811211543a.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  The heat wave continues here.  When I went grocery shopping at 6:30 it was already 80.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good but I will be making a pork roast that is marinating.  This weekend is tax free shopping weekend.  I suspect the fur babies will be getting something.  I hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 23

14 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Good morning, and thank you for the daily report. Today is our fifth day after adopting our 8-1/2 year old rescue Alaskan Malamute.

Two months ago we put down our Alaskan Malamute, Juno, at 13 years two months. She brought joy to our family for over five years. But Samson will assume her position in our family. The best tribute to losing a rescue dog is to adopt another.

0226191939.jpg

0811211543a.jpg

Bless you. Gorgeous dogs!

• Like 14

Good morning everyone. A nice collection of days. Appropriately, our NY daughter is coming to visit today. Another hot day here. Yesterday, I finally bought my car off lease. I was supposed to do that the day after Sam had his stroke. The company extended the lease so yesterday, I gave the dealership the car to inspect at 1pm, returned home with a loner my daughter who came with me drove, and then we went back to complete paperwork and arrived home again at 5: 30 pm. I wanted to take care of it in case we wind up with another lockdown because of Delta. It’s been weighing on me so it’s a big relief that it’s done. 
Stay safe out there. 
Carol

• Like 28

Good morning from central Texas.  There is a chance for rain overnight, and it's been a while since we had any.  I know that if I turn off the sprinkler so it doesn't water this evening, we won't get the rain. 😁

What a collection of days.  I celebrate our DDs everyday.  V-J Day is worth celebrating, and the Navajo Code Talkers played in huge part in winning the war in the Pacific.  Lakes need celebrating and care every day including our lake.

I am not a shiraz fan but have liked other Black Opal reds.  I will pass on the drink.  I like the meal suggestion and @rafinmd Roy's alternate meal suggestion.

The Euripides' quoate is great.

@dfish Debbie, enjoy the family picnic.  Sorry about your nephew, but I have to agree with @kazu Jacqui, that it is safer for the rest of the family that he is not there.

@kazu  Love the Goose on a Moose.  

@smitty34877  Terry, thanks for the picture of Miss Camilla.  She has really grown.  Besides nurses, doctors also make poor patients.  

@msmayor  I have an InstatnPot and use it frequently.  Since it is a pressure cooker and slow cooker in one, it takes up less space than having both appliances.  The newer InstantPots are a lot easier to use than the first generation ones.  Have a safe trip to Atlanta, and glad you are taking plenty of masks to be prepared.  😷

@grapau27  Graham, thank you for the lovely pictures of the Lake District.  While we've been many places in England, we have not had the pleasure of seeing the Lake District.

We were in Saipan in 2005 on the Pacific Princess cruise of the Islands of the Pacific Theater.  That was the day we flew to Tinian, but we still had time to tour Saipan.  We stopped at the Hard Rock Cafe for t-shirts, but no pictures.  My pictures center more on the battle for Saipan in 1944.

American Memorial Park

IMG_4970.thumb.JPG.c78fe1d6cac6401855ac1e1e169f4867.JPG

IMG_4971.thumb.JPG.b764945cf29d615407a38b3777c70e9c.JPG

IMG_4972.thumb.JPG.e32256dff004741e8a7b67b0a3143a70.JPG

I believe these are Suicide Cliff and Banzai Cliff, where about 1000 Japanese jumped to their deaths rather than be captured by the American forces.  I am not sure which is which.

IMG_4976.thumb.JPG.b1ba4bf416e05bf02fd7423971753d9e.JPG

IMG_4977.thumb.JPG.d62c1582f20b2afb8723151ec4c4340c.JPG

Japanese memorials on top of the cliffs

IMG_4980.thumb.JPG.2a56a24ad02926de6cdc00da92435da7.JPG

IMG_4981.thumb.JPG.0e8f9f092b9734d640cc409042ed01db.JPG

The last Japanese Command Post from the cliff top and from ground level.  The sea spray has not been kind to the military equipment left behind.

IMG_5004.thumb.JPG.2be5528f12a76c57e4765d8b3546c283.JPG

IMG_4982.thumb.JPG.a2f7725916732ff8f6616c56d42aff50.JPG

IMG_4997.thumb.JPG.f14061cdffa215919c2082ccdf493de3.JPG

Another memorial

IMG_4990.thumb.JPG.b4342072136055c4823b134562b873a9.JPG

Bird Island, which is a bird observatory.

IMG_4991.thumb.JPG.7b5f6805a888c836e38c790b482070a4.JPG

Pretty flowers along the roadside and the scenery of Saipan

IMG_5009.thumb.JPG.582c5fdf356756eade15d092bfdecf4f.JPG

Lenda

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, highscar said:

Would me, as a single, have enough use for the insta pot?I use the slow cooker often. Make large and freeze in portions. 

The pressure cooker part of the InstantPot, is good for cooking pot roasa and other meals quickly, and you could cook large and freeze portions.    It all depends on what types of food you cook regularly.

Lenda

• Like 11

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the report Rich. Whoa, what a large collection of days, I don’t know where to begin.  I love today’s quote.  No instapot here so will have to plan something else. We’re going to lunch with a friend at a Thai-Vietnamese restaurant today so whatever dinner turns out to be it should be light.  Have not been to today’s port yet so I look forward to seeing all the photos that you kind folks share.  Prayers to all on our prayer list, dear SIL was admitted to hospice yesterday for her final journey.  Cheers🥂to everyone celebrating a happy event today!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

0226191939.jpg

0811211543a.jpg

Two handsome dogs.  Your rescues are/were lucky dogs.

15 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. A nice collection of days. Appropriately, our NY daughter is coming to visit today. Another hot day here. Yesterday, I finally bought my car off lease. I was supposed to do that the day after Sam had his stroke. The company extended the lease so yesterday, I gave the dealership the car to inspect at 1pm, returned home with a loner my daughter who came with me drove, and then we went back to complete paperwork and arrived home again at 5: 30 pm. I wanted to take care of it in case we wind up with another lockdown because of Delta. It’s been weighing on me so it’s a big relief that it’s done. 
Stay safe out there. 
Carol

Enjoy your visit with you New York daughter.  I'm glad you got the car out of lease and that now it is yours.

Lenda

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the report Rich. Whoa, what a large collection of days, I don’t know where to begin.  I love today’s quote.  No instapot here so will have to plan something else. We’re going to lunch with a friend at a Thai-Vietnamese restaurant today so whatever dinner turns out to be it should be light.  Have not been to today’s port yet so I look forward to seeing all the photos that you kind folks share.  Prayers to all on our prayer list, dear SIL was admitted to hospice yesterday for her final journey.  Cheers🥂to everyone celebrating a happy event today!

Hope that hospice can make your DSIL's final journey as smooth and pain free as possible.  She and all your family are in our thoughts.

Lenda

• Like 16

7 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Bless you. Gorgeous dogs!

Thank you for the compliment! Juno pictured with my wife was "My Sweetie Girl" - and indeed she was! Samson ("Sammy", "Mr. Big", "Sam the Man") is a hardluck story. His original owner passed away last year and the family gave him up for adoption. The new owner returned him after four months in poor health. The same rescue organization that I adopted Juno from got involved but with them he ended up being bounced for three months between two fosters and a paid kennel. Not many people care to adopt senior dogs. We hope he is with us 3-4 years. Sam has settled in with us amazingly fast! He does have hip dysplasia so is on nerve pain medication but craves stimulation which we gladly provide. He just loves to play!

• Like 23

18 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

dear SIL was admitted to hospice yesterday for her final journey.

Sorry to hear this 😢. I hope the hospice can make things as comfortable as possible for your SIL.  Our prayers for her and you 🙏🏻 

• Like 15

18 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

I'm so sorry that your SIL has now gone into a hospice.

Prayers for her that she feels no pain in her last days.

Graham.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning everyone!  It's a beautiful start to our day here but going to be hot again.  We can begin to see rain in the forecast quite often over the next week.  Probably some from Fred, but watch out @summer slopebecause I saw there is another storm named Grace coming along that will probably have Florida in its crosshairs.  And that will mean more rain for Georgia. 

I don't know which special day to celebrate today!  Daughters of course.  Lakes, yes that too.  @grapau27thanks for the lake district photos.  I think we've seen you visit there before.  Very pretty part of the country.

Prayers for those on the Care list and congrats to those celebrating.  I'm happy to see so many people visiting family.  Just stay safe.  And @dfishyour nephew can just sit home and reflect on his decision.  Maybe FaceTime is the only way he will be able to see his family.  @smitty34877thank you for the new photo of Baby Camilla.  She's so adorable!

The menu suggestion for today looks yummy!  We will no doubt be having a repeat of last night's birthday dinner, ribs, potato salad, corn on the cob or another vegetable and cake.  DH has promised not to leave the remainder of the cake to me.  Whew!😅

I have not been to Northern Mariana Islands.  I checked its location and read that it's a commonwealth of the United States.  I never knew that!  I would love to see it.  I am hoping for some photos today.  Meanwhile I'll continue to check it out on the internet.

Have a great day!

Thank you Sandi.

We have had 2x3 night stays in the Lake District in the last 6 week's plus numerous day trips and 2 night stays when  England's lockdown allowed us over the last 17 months.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11

Blessed Saturday. Thank you Rich for our Daily.  My post yesterday went poof and I didn't realize til last night it was gone. Oh well.

Last night we went to the play The Savannah Sipping Society. I think the ladies enjoyed it more than the guys. It was fun. Our table normally brings a nice spread and drinks to share. I brought chicken wings and everyone loved them. Other tables were saying "please pass the wings". 

So many days to celebrate! Goodness. Thanks to Roy and FB ladies for your dedication to our Daily. Going over to the NA thread next to see how our CC friends are doing. 

I was wondering when the Covid 19 booster comes available if you will take it? We will as soon as we're able. Texas just had to trash regular shots this week because no one is requesting them. I don't get it. Please be safe! This pandemic isn't over. 

Prayers and Cheers to all.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Sandi.

We have had 2x3 night stays in the Lake District in the last 6 week's plus numerous day trips and 2 night stays when  England's lockdown allowed us over the last 17 months.

You have sold me several times over, on a trip to the Lakes District. Likely attached to a cruise on Fred.Olsen, somewhere in the UK.  When this pandemic is over.

• Like 14

Thank you Rich and Roy for continuing this thread.  So nice to read each day and to keep up with the cruising community.  I have only done two HAL trips, one to the Caribbean and one to Alaska and enjoyed them both.  Mostly sailing Royal because of closeness to ports.  But really love them all!

I survive Friday the 13th even though I was out and about.  Went to a local mall and noticed many more people wearing masks again.  Praying that our covid nightmare is over soon.

Best wishes for everyone to have a wonderful Saturday.  Katherine

• Like 17

Good morning all!

Just a quick hello before we pack up and head north to my sister's.  They live close to the Canadian border, so about a 90-minute drive for us.  She's planned a great day for everyone with a picnic lunch in the park, corn hole and badminton in their backyard, and then dinner (hot dogs for the children, pulled pork bbq sandwiches, salads, apple pie.  DH and I will be spending the night along with the 2 grandsons. Should be a fun time!  Everyone else has to head back home tonight.  After breakfast in the morning we'll drive the boys home after DD and DSIL are back home after their company 10K run. It's a 2-hour drive to their home from my sister's, so we may have to make a stop or two!

@dfishDebbie it looks like we'll both be at a family picnic today. 🙂  Sorry about the nephew, but as others have said, it's for the best.  

@msmayorthank you for the tip about putting photos of our vax cards into "favorites"!  Duh, I'm not the most techie person, and haven't even used that feature in my photos.  SO much easier to find that photo now.

@Mr. Bostonprayers for your SIL's comfort in her final journey.

@Seasick Sailorwe cannot wait to get our booster shots!  Our 2nd vaccine was 6 months ago now, and I worry about how long it will protect us.  I know they're going to have boosters available to folks who are immunocompromised, which is very important. It would be great if they would add those of us who are 65+ to that list. 🙂  

@smitty34877darling little Camilla is growing!  Thank you for the adorable photo.

I'm so excited that the Eurodam will be sailing out of Athens with passengers very, very soon!  And very thankful to hear any details from those who will be sailing before we do.

• Like 21

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is Chinese Valentine's Day/Daughter's Day, National Creamsicle Day, and 14/15 V-J Day
Today is also Celebrate Your Lakes Day, Color Book Day, National Bowling Day, National Navajo Code Talkers Day, and National Wiffle Ball Day!

The greatest pleasure of life is love. - Euripides

Meal suggestion for today - Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo

Drink of the Day - Acapulco Cocktail

Wine of the day - Black Opal Shiraz - Australia - Red

Destination of the Day - Saipan Northern Mariana Islands

Ships with Passengers

Seattle, WA
Nieuw Amsterdam 07:00 - 16:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam Destination Great Stirrup Cay arriving at 12

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Noordam

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage

Long Beach
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Trieste IT
Rotterdam

0814USA.thumb.png.b7803dd4bdf5a64af6f6eba9b9f18f8e.png

0814Europe.thumb.png.bbb4c255031a160bf43f5ef2ccf8830f.png

Thanks for the DAILY Fleet report

• Like 6

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Wow on the collection of days.  I think by the time of tomorrow's daily passengers may have started boarding the Eurodam.  I've never been to the Northern Mariana Islands.  Great quote by Euripides.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Prime Rib of Beef  au jus, and Baked Alaska, what might have been my final dinner on the Grand Dame, August 14, 1997.

Today’s care list:

RIP Frederick Fire Captaiin Josh Laird, Last Alarm 8/11/21
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires    
Mr Boston’s DSIL with aggressive abdominal cancer
NextOne with shingles
Copeland and Brenda with breakthrough Covid
From the rotation:
Kazu’s friend recovering from a brain bleed
Cruisin single awaiting mamogram clarification

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Bon Voyage Boytje
Front Line Health Care Workers
Welcome homeAliaschief, bobpatj, and Copper10_8
Debbie off to Michigan
 Ger_77's family visit
CruisingAlong weekend family visit
TiogaCruiser celebrating a year of retirement
Eurodam ramping up for service.
USANA Class of 2025 finishing poebe summer
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy, Prime rib is always a temptation for me.  I love it.  Thanks for the care list and yje shout out list.

• Like 5