The Demise of the Suite Lounge

On 8/15/2021 at 8:48 AM, LadyShiva said:

Depends on the sale NCL is running, but choose a suite on an -away class ship and see if you can choose a beverage packages for the price of the gratuities.  You will have beer and cheapish wines included from the Haven bar.

The drink package with Suites on NCL ( it's always included "free" includes mixed drinks as well. You can upgrade to a super duper drink package for 150'or so.

17 hours ago, SaCSCCruiser said:

We have tried Celebrity and definitely liked it a lot. We were on Solstice twice.  To us, it seemed a touch more elegant/refined but not stuffy at all.  We had a young child (my niece) with us on Celebrity as well and she loved the ship too.   She had a great time in the kids program the first time.  The second time she was not that thrilled to go.   I think it was a combination of her having a new baby sister and wanting time with her parents as a single child again (my parents kept the baby as my brother and SIL were not really ready to take her on a cruise at that time), coupled with the fact that my niece was missed the cut off to age up into the next "Camp at Sea" group, but missed it by a week. She was the only 5 year old in her group- all the rest were 3 year olds. She was going to turn 6 at the end of the week but they would not make an exception and let her go into the next age group.  My brother and SIL were pretty impressed with the kids program the first time. They did a little talent show one night with the kids and my niece had a great time performing.  

We would definitely cruise Celebrity again.   

Thanks!  Good friends (who are Pinnie on RCI) are starting to lean more into Celebrity also, for the reasons you mentioned.  Looking forward to trying the sister line in the future!  🙂 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

The drink package with Suites on NCL ( it's always included "free" includes mixed drinks as well. You can upgrade to a super duper drink package for 150'or so.

MSC yacht club gives premium drink package for free , if you upgrade that you can order anything sold by the glass including 20 year old scotch and XO cognac.

• Like 2

We are considering Celebrity.  Actually have had 2 cruises with them canceled during the pandemic.  What i dislike most is the class system they are using.  Suites use the retreat and Lumina for eating.  We sometimes book suites but its not typical.  With Viking you pay a little more but outside your cabin every one is equal.  I prefer that.  As DP we got kicked out of the suite lounge a while back.  Very happy to now have 5 drinks a day.  I doubt we'll use the DL much anymore but will use the suite lounge when in a suite.  Maybe the pins should have their own.  They have earned it.

14 hours ago, UPNYGuy said:

DW and I typically cruise 4-5x per year and avoid those as well. i dont feel the need to do the p!ssing contest thing, and i find it tiring. We cruise to relax and enjoy ourselves.

As an aside, our last cruise pre shutdown was on Carnival (Pride out of Baltimore). The Meet and Mingle had a rather large typo in the planner. It said Meet and Minge. DW and I were practically rolling on the floor at that one. If you dont know what it means, it is a vulger british slang term. 

Meat and Minge would have been even better

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We are considering Celebrity.  Actually have had 2 cruises with them canceled during the pandemic.  What i dislike most is the class system they are using.  Suites use the retreat and Lumina for eating.  We sometimes book suites but its not typical.  With Viking you pay a little more but outside your cabin every one is equal.  I prefer that.  As DP we got kicked out of the suite lounge a while back.  Very happy to now have 5 drinks a day.  I doubt we'll use the DL much anymore but will use the suite lounge when in a suite.  Maybe the pins should have their own.  They have earned it.

But if you are on the right ship there's a "class system" RCL also called Coastal Kitchen.  if people pay those prices for suites I don't begrudge them special treatment.  I loved Celebrity and Lumina/Michael's Club.  And the butler!!

On 8/14/2021 at 5:10 AM, Kokomo91165 said:

Have currently been on 3 ships since the restart in June - all in suites. For clarity, we are always suite guests, but also pinnacle. Recently, RCL announced the temporary exclusion of suite lounge access as part of Pinnacle benefits. “Fine by me” I thought to myself. 

The problem is now the Suite lounges are desolate. Ghost towns. Zero energy. And the poor bartenders and concierge just sit there. Tips are WAY down in a time when the crew need them the most. 

It is time for RCL to rethink this policy. For the sake of the crew. Maybe do a phased restart. 2100 points and over at first. Then 1050, and lastly 700 & over. Or better yet, give the ship the discretion to do what’s best based on their loyalty numbers. 

I think a lot of people are using the vouchers in other venues and a lot of people, I'd guess even in suites, are getting beverage packages so don't really need that lounge.  On some of the ships we've sailed the suite lounges are kind of dingy rooms and people may prefer to be in more lively spots or outside by the pool or going to events and getting their drinks there rather than sitting in the designated room.

So, maybe you are right.  The suite lounges may eventually go away if they are not an enjoyable part of the package for a lot of people.  But... if they are not an enjoyable part of the package for a lot of people that wouldn't be such a bad thing if they went away.

I'm sure they will continue to find great ways to reward suite guests.  People who pay more for their rooms deserve extra perks and the cruise line knows that.

• 3 months later...
On 8/14/2021 at 8:10 AM, Kokomo91165 said:

Have currently been on 3 ships since the restart in June - all in suites. For clarity, we are always suite guests, but also pinnacle. Recently, RCL announced the temporary exclusion of suite lounge access as part of Pinnacle benefits. “Fine by me” I thought to myself. 

The problem is now the Suite lounges are desolate. Ghost towns. Zero energy. And the poor bartenders and concierge just sit there. Tips are WAY down in a time when the crew need them the most. 

It is time for RCL to rethink this policy. For the sake of the crew. Maybe do a phased restart. 2100 points and over at first. Then 1050, and lastly 700 & over. Or better yet, give the ship the discretion to do what’s best based on their loyalty numbers. 

I am just off Allure and there were plenty Pinnacles back in the suite lounge. Long lines on embarkation day at Coastal Kitchen for lunch backed all the way into the elevator bank due to Pinnacles making reservations for the week. Suite lounge filled with pinnacles.....many tables in Coastal Kitchen at night filled with Pinnacles proudly wearing their badges taking resources away from suite guests and consuming the concierge constantly. Yes....the title of this thread is correct.....it's back to the demise of the suite lounge.

Edited by bajathree
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I am just off Allure and there were plenty Pinnacles back in the suite lounge. Long lines on embarkation day at Coastal Kitchen for lunch backed all the way into the elevator bank due to Pinnacles making reservations for the week. Suite lounge filled with pinnacles.....many tables in Coastal Kitchen at night filled with Pinnacles proudly wearing their badges taking resources away from suite guests and consuming the concierge constantly. Yes....the title of this thread is correct.....it's back to the demise of the suite lounge.

Question,

How would you know those wearing a pin are not booked in a suite?  OR - how would you know those not wearing a pin are in fact pinnacles (not in a suite) waiting for dinner seating.  Seems the key is not wearing a Pinnacle pin in CK , and all is well. 

M

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Hope they proudly display them in port as well....the locals dig it.

Really, do people do that?  That is weird. 

Not sure that a local would even know or care about a pin.  Likely too busy trying to make a living than look at a pin someone is wearing.   Looks more like an employee badge.

M

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Question,

How would you know those wearing a pin are not booked in a suite?  OR - how would you know those not wearing a pin are in fact pinnacles (not in a suite) waiting for dinner seating.  Seems the key is not wearing a Pinnacle pin in CK , and all is well. 

M

Exactly!  On our recent Allure cruises there were 30-40 Pinnacles onboard and over half were booked in full suites. Thus the Pinnacle Lounge was almost empty and a waste of food and manpower.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Question,

M

On embarkation day everyone in front of us on line were Pinnacle....and I heard their cabin numbers as they booked. The Conceirge even apologized and felt bad we as suite guests had to wait. On top half of them were booking with other cabins to join them for dinner.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bajathree said:

On embarkation day everyone in front of us on line were Pinnacle....and I heard their cabin numbers as they booked. The Conceirge even apologized and felt bad we as suite guests had to wait. On top half of them were booking with other cabins to join them for dinner.

Nice that you know all the cabin numbers on all the decks and can distinguish non suite cabins.  On Harmony for example, full suites are on decks 6, 7, 8 ,9, 10, 11, 12, 14  (in a variety of locations) and of course 17.   I can never keep at that Info straight. Good job! 

Lucky that passengers were booking with others to join them, or the line would be even longer. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Nice that you know all the cabin numbers on all the decks and can distinguish non suite cabins.  On Harmony for example, full suites are on decks 6, 7, 8 ,9, 10, 11, 12, 14  (in a variety of locations) and of course 17.   I can never keep at that Info straight. Good job! 

Lucky that passengers were booking with others to join them, or the line would be even longer. 

M

Well aware...I have over 25 Oasis class sailings under my belt.

5 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Disappointed if non Pins are being allowed in CK at this time — the virus is still spreading!

Congratulations...you take the cake!  Us low-life non pins are the ones who spread the virus....unreal.  Wear that pin proudly, and everywhere!

6 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Interesting about Pins being able to book for others for CK.  I was on Anthem recently and no one but Suites and Pins allowed in CK because of social distancing.  Disappointed if non Pins are being allowed in CK at this time — the virus is still spreading!

I also was under the impression of no pinnacle guests.  I assumed (not good) that the Pinnacles were booking to dine with other Pinnacles. 

As a suite guest, we were only allowed to bring a non-suite  guest on one  night.  We certainly did NOT try on the first night. 

M

• Thanks 1

My recent experience on the Harmony was that there was space in the suite lounge which was nice.  CK was crowded on more than one occasion but I am not sure if that due to guests or the staff trying to figure out their jobs.  It got better be the end of the 2nd week.

It did seem to me like there were more pins wearing their badges than normal, but I put it down to me just getting back to cruising.  I only saw obvious case of painacle behavior.  A group of them barged their way into grease, in front of the rest of us who also had early seating privileges.  Mild all considered.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

My recent experience on the Harmony was that there was space in the suite lounge which was nice.  CK was crowded on more than one occasion but I am not sure if that due to guests or the staff trying to figure out their jobs.  It got better be the end of the 2nd week.

It did seem to me like there were more pins wearing their badges than normal, but I put it down to me just getting back to cruising.  I only saw obvious case of painacle behavior.  A group of them barged their way into grease, in front of the rest of us who also had early seating privileges.  Mild all considered.

Sad behavior from anyone. 

m

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Disappointed at your "painacle" comment.  I thought better of you.

M